Rumor: Apple considering return to 4-inch form factor in 2015 with 'iPhone 6s mini'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 244
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Phones are far more mass-market than computers. So there are probably sizable markets for all the various form factors. This isn't Apple "returning" to the 4" form factor; it's Apple bringing the various advanced features like Touch ID and better cameras to that size phone. Hopefully newer and smaller batteries will be able to deliver acceptable battery lives.

I love my 6+ and consider its size ideal for me. But I can understand that many others might prefer other sizes.

Exactly.  Apple might (should, IMO) offer a "phone-sized phone" but they need to get Touch ID on all their phones.

• Reply 62 of 244
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I hated the small screen size of my 4S and 5s and longed for a larger iPhone. I still have my 4S which I use as a universal remote. Now that I have my 6+ I couldn't be happier. But having used a phone where I was extremely unhappy with the screen size I can sympathize with people that want a 4" to remain in the lineup because they are in the same boat I was in while praying for a large screen that would be easier on my eyes. 

I think Apple is big enough to offer a S, M, and L version of their iPhone. It is not like other manufacturers who may have a dozen or more unique models. This would help cover all their bases and keep goodwill for all their customer base who then might decide to buy an Apple Watch, a Mac, etc...

If they make a 4" updated iPhone and the sales tank compared to the larger models then at least then they will know for sure if it is worth pursuing beyond 2016. The potential market might be larger than some here think simply because of the lower price which will appeal to custumers in poorer countries. It will also appeal to ones in wealthier countries still wanting a smallish phone. It still won't be "cheap" either in cost or in quality since this is still Apple after all, but it will at least be more affordable than the 4.7" and 5.5" models. 

• Reply 63 of 244
    Small sexy smartphones are always desirable,
    make it with no bezel,
    just a small 4" screen surrounded by a rigid and sturdy body,
    and not cheap.
  • Reply 64 of 244
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

If Apple DOES keep the current 4" form factor, it WILL be a lower end phone. And there's absolutely no problem with that. It's the most rational thing to do. In spite of some people here who can't see a foot beyond their own nose, there does not appear to be a demand for tiny, high end smartphones. There's VERY few people who would pay the same price for a smaller iPhone as a larger one. 

The 5C is still a great phone. Just bought one for my sister. If they update it next fall with new internals/body and leave it at $0/month on contract, it will be a great little option. We've gotten to a point where a phone doesn't need to be high end to be a great experience and have excellent performance. 

• Reply 65 of 244

You're not the CRAZY one.

• Reply 66 of 244
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

You mean that not everyone wants a 17" laptop?

I guess Apple learned from the mistake of introducing Air computers with smaller screens.

Almost know one buys those things.  ;)

What are you talking about?  The article was about the iPhone.  

• Reply 67 of 244
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

^

This. I'm glad I am not crazy.

You're not the CRAZY one.

• Reply 68 of 244
    nobodyy wrote: »
    For sure, It is an important distinction, when not clear and relevant. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">But I think I framed it clearly here, and now have your words clarify for others who may have thought the same things.</span>

I was really stating outright it for others that say things like "I thought 3.5" was the perfect size?" I know you get the distinction. I should have been more clear about it.
  • Reply 69 of 244
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I, for one, don't see what I would want more from my iPhone, especially now that the watch is coming out. I don't want a bigger screen, I don't need a more powerful CPU. I'll keep my 5S which imo has a way nicer design than the 6 and use an Apple Watch for Apple Pay.

• Reply 70 of 244
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sog35 wrote: »
    costs.

Metal phones cost SIGNFICANLTY more to manufacter than plastic.

Why would Apple go through all that trouble for a phone that sells for $99 and will make up only 5% of total phones sold.
    This is why you have no idea what you are talking about. They are ALREADY making a metal phone they are selling for $99. It's called the iPhone 5S. Your arguments have no credibility.
  • Reply 71 of 244
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Saldog View Post

The draw of the iPhone is not just the hardware, it is iOS. The next iOS might require a spec bump just to run well on the 5c so we might see a processor upgrade, but if it runs the new OS well, there will be no change in either the 5c or 5s. Maybe Apple Pay in the 5s.

Or so I predict.

I would say whether Apple introduce 6s mini it will be because of Apple pay and Bluetooth 4.2 compatibility. Bluetooth 4.2 can have some special Apple Watch or home idevices functionality. It would not be reasonable to sell new phone not fully compatible with Watch or Apple Pay that brings Apple money back.

• Reply 72 of 244
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    If Apple DOES keep the current 4" form factor, it WILL be a lower end phone. And there's absolutely no problem with that. It's the most rational thing to do. In spite of some people here who can't see a foot beyond their own nose, there does not appear to be a demand for tiny, high end smartphones. There's VERY few people who would pay the same price for a smaller iPhone as a larger one. 

The 5C is still a great phone. Just bought one for my sister. If they update it next fall with new internals/body and leave it at $0/month on contract, it will be a great little option. We've gotten to a point where a phone doesn't need to be high end to be a great experience and have excellent performance. 

Who is currently making small, high-end smartphones? If someone did my guess is there would be healthy demand for it. I mean millions of people bought iPhones and I doubt they were all doing it in spite of the smaller display.
  • Reply 73 of 244
    If 4 inch phones are so popular why isn't there a single high end Android/Windows phone at 4 inches that sells?

That's a good question.
  • Reply 74 of 244
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who is currently making small, high-end smartphones? If someone did my guess is there would be healthy demand for it. I mean millions of people bought iPhones and I doubt they were all doing it in spite of the smaller display.

Maybe not all but a large percentage bought the 4" iPhone IN SPITE of the small display. I sure as hell did.  There is still room for a 4" next year but even if it had all the same specs there is no way in hell that sales would come close to a larger display. The market has spoken. 

• Reply 75 of 244
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    this is fake and fraud.

here is what will happen next fall:

iPhone 6S Plus $299
    iPhone 6S $199

iPhone 6C - same body as 5C but with touchID and A8 and different colors $99
    iPhone 5C Free

I agree that it's fake, but why would Apple keep the 5c? I would think they would drop it like they normally do and phase out 32 bit processors.

Then again I thought they would kill off the iPad 2 to phase out the 30 pin connector, but I was wrong.
    halhiker wrote: »
    If they make it Titanium that would fulfill this hiker's dream. Not only are the 6 and 6 Plus too big, there are also too heavy.

Is that a joke?

First of all, the iPhone 6 is the lightest iPhone ever made (maybe even lightest smartphone of them all).

Secondly, making the case titanium would save very little weight and more than double the manufacturing cost. The majority of the weight comes from the internal components.
  • Reply 76 of 244

Sign me up for a 4" form factor flagship. I like my iPhone 6 but the display is too big.

• Reply 77 of 244
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If 4 inch phones are so popular why isn't there a single high end Android/Windows phone at 4 inches that sells?

Because there is no 4" flagship Android phone. That is the simple reason.

• Reply 78 of 244
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

The iPhone mini would make so much sense. Especially with Continuity around: Who needs screen estate if you have the iPad mini and (12 inch) macbook air? You just leave the phone in your bag.

• Reply 79 of 244
    From the article; it points out that Apple will be using the Qualcomm components to keep cost down. So that wand to me no Apple "A" series SoC inside anymore!
  • Reply 80 of 244
    steven n. wrote: »
    Because there is no 4" flagship Android phone. That is the simple reason.

It's a sound question. What makes this so important for an iPhone to have a 4" display on a flagship device but unreasonable for every other vendor to offer a 4" display on a flagship device?