Rumor: Apple considering return to 4-inch form factor in 2015 with 'iPhone 6s mini'

1235713

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 244
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    clemynx wrote: »
    I, for one, don't see what I would want more from my iPhone, especially now that the watch is coming out. I don't want a bigger screen, I don't need a more powerful CPU. I'll keep my 5S which imo has a way nicer design than the 6 and use an Apple Watch for Apple Pay.

    On the contrary, with the Apple Watch coming I prefer to have a larger screen phone tucked away for when I need in depth interaction and use the watch for lightweight interaction.

    I also love the new direction the design is taking. The curved screen makes the screen pop out at you, and I can see some of the design philosophy of the Apple Watch coming through.
  • Reply 82 of 244
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    I'm talking about making an ALL NEW DESIGN with ALL NEW MACHINE LINE and then selling it for $99.

     

    Do you realize how EXPENSIVE it is too run a whole NEW MACHINE LINE?


    You have no idea how the iPhone is made. It's a matter of scaling the current model. Block of aluminum. Computer controlling milling and lathe. No new holds, no expensive dies. This is the 21st century and Apple is on the cutting edge. They upload the new cad designs to the computers controlling the 5S milling process, and simply change the shape of what they are currently producing. It would be a lot more expensive to create brand new plastic molds, and metal substructure, not to mention the R&D to engineer it and test it.

  • Reply 83 of 244
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    If 4 inch phones are so popular why isn't there a single high end Android/Windows phone at 4 inches that sells?




    Because size was the only way they had to truly stand out from the iPhone. Now they've lost that, they're screwed. That doesn't mean 4 inch iPhones are going to disappear.

  • Reply 84 of 244
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    It's a sound question. What makes this so important for an iPhone to have a 4" display on a flagship device but unreasonable for every other vendor to offer a 4" display on a flagship device?

     

    Because those other vendors really don't know what they are doing.

     

    ... or are we starting to give these no profit companies credibility now? It's hard to keep up with all the shifting viewpoints on AI sometimes.

  • Reply 85 of 244
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    this is fake and fraud.

     

    here is what will happen next fall:

     

    iPhone 6S Plus $299

    iPhone 6S $199

     

    iPhone 6C - same body as 5C but with touchID and A8 and different colors $99

    iPhone 5C Free




    CNET reports that Apple will cease production of the 5C in mid 2015. It looks like Apple is planning to already phase out the 32bit architecture.



    Also, the current 5C doesn't have Touch id and ? pay. It would make sense to design a new small iPhone from the ground up.

  • Reply 86 of 244
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post





    On the contrary, with the Apple Watch coming I prefer to have a larger screen phone tucked away for when I need in depth interaction and use the watch for lightweight interaction.



    I also love the new direction the design is taking. The curved screen makes the screen pop out at you, and I can see some of the design philosophy of the Apple Watch coming through.



    I can have an interaction just as deep on a 3.5 inches phones.

  • Reply 87 of 244
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    have you even held the 6? 

     

    It seriously takes less space in my pocket and feels more comformtable to use than the 5S because of its smooth and thin design. It took like 1 hour to get use to the size.


     

    Nope, I haven't.  But I shall.  

    And you might be right, I might just decide the 6 is what I want!  

    I didn't intend to denigrate the 6 or 6+ (or their users).

  • Reply 88 of 244
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

     



    Because there is no 4" flagship Android phone. That is the simple reason.




    Exactly. The ONLY way other phone makers could distinguish themselves from the iPhone was until last year, producing gigantic "phablets" catering to what was a niche phone market. Now that Apple has blown Android phablets out of the water, Android phones may well try to recapture the market. And clearly the bigger the phone, the more necessary crap you can squeeze into it. The 6 Plus is a perfect example... it's not just a premium phone because it has a larger screen, it has a superior camera and other features not included on the 6. As long as people value that, and turning their iPads into phones, there will be a market for the larger phone size. But it's by no means exclusive.

  • Reply 89 of 244
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    LOL.

     

    the only reason millions 'put up' with a small phone is it was an iPhone.

     

    All you people with small hands, small pockets, small fingers, need to realize you are the grand minority.




    Don't forget perfect  vision to be able to read the small fonts inside apps where you can't increase font size without that horribly annoying zoom function. It is so much easier to read type within apps now on  my 6+. 

  • Reply 90 of 244

    I still think that the iPhone and iPad models should be produced like this:

     

    iPhone S - 4 inches (small)

    iPhone M - 4.7 inches (medium)

    iPhone L - 5.5 inches (large)

     

    iPad S - 7.9 inches (small)

    iPad M - 9.7 inches (medium)

    iPad L - 12.9 inches (large)

     

    That way, we have a size catering for everyone, plus Apple gets more customers for three separate products in both phone and tablet categories.

  • Reply 91 of 244
    Read the article again. It ses this time around wants to make a real "cheap" phone. No mention of NFC for ApplePay nor Touch ID!
  • Reply 92 of 244
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    nope.


     

    That's your opinion. That size was used as a differentiator is not matter to debate.

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

     People just dont want 4 inch phones.


     

    No, people don't just want bigger than 4 inch phones, or the iPhone 5C wouldn't sell so well.

     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    I dont understand why this is so hard to understand. Its the same reason why hardly any one buys TV's under 20 inches now days.


    that's not a valid analogy. With that same reasoning you could justify a phone that's 6, 7 or more inches big.

     

    A lot of people like phones that are 4 inches big. And please, stop with the 'little finger' lame argument. I know several really big people, and they can't reach the whole surface of a 5 inch phone with one hand.

     

    Different tastes exist. I think you all look stupid with you 5.5 inch phone glued on your face, but I'm not going to say that Apple needs to stop making the 6 Plus.

     

    ----

    several edits because I'm tired.

  • Reply 93 of 244
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

     

     

    They can't simply just scale the phone.  Just look at the differences in the 6 and the 6+. And then they would need to redesign the internals.  Which will be extremely difficult because if they are scaling it down from the 6 it would make it almost 50% thinner than the 5S.

     

    And why are you talking about making new plastic molds.  they already have them from the 5C.

     

    And you do all this work for a phone that VERY FEW people want.

     

    Trust me. If there was a huge 4 inch market Apple would have never stopped making them as a flagship.

    Again Apple spends MILLIONS upon MILLIONS on marketing research.

     

    The proof is in the pudding.

    The iPhone6 is the fastest selling and most selling iPHone EVER.

    No other phone maker makes a 4 inch premium phone. END. of STORY.




    You could say the same on the iPhone, the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 5 and the iPhone5S.

     

    To say there is no market for 4" flagship phones is myopic.

  • Reply 94 of 244
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

     

     

    And then they would need to redesign the internals.  Which will be extremely difficult because if they are scaling it down from the 6 it would make it almost 50% thinner than the 5S.

     

    And why are you talking about making new plastic molds.  they already have them from the 5C.

     


    You really don't get it. They would have to redesign the internals whether metal or plastic. And they already have the blueprint for putting them into a thinner case. The battery doesn't need to be as big either due to the smaller screen. They are not just going to keep selling the 5C case after next year. And they are not going to take the plastic case they're giving away for free now and sell it for $99 next year with the 6 internals, which would have to be completely re-engineered to fit inside. If anything they will put the 5S internals into the 5C, for which it was likely engineered to do, and sell that for free. That makes the 5S plant available to create the new 6 mini case, which is the least expensive part of the creating a 4" phone, and redesign the 6 internals to fit inside a smaller but similar case design, thus setting themselves up for a model they can keep selling for two more years on the low end, JUST LIKE THEY DID WITH THE 5C. 

  • Reply 95 of 244
    mac_128 wrote: »
    You have no idea how the iPhone is made. It's a matter of scaling the current model. Block of aluminum. Computer controlling milling and lathe. No new holds, no expensive dies. This is the 21st century and Apple is on the cutting edge. They upload the new cad designs to the computers controlling the 5S milling process, and simply change the shape of what they are currently producing. It would be a lot more expensive to create brand new plastic molds, and metal substructure, not to mention the R&D to engineer it and test it.

    He has a point there, too. Apple doesn't have to do all that to sell the 2013 iPhone design, which is just very slight casing change from the 2012 iPhone. These are tried and true design with all the R&D costs paid for years ago. A third model at 4" that followed the same look-and-feel and performance would require all new R&D. Sure, some of the cost and time could be split among the R&D for the 4.7" and 5.5" but there is still plenty of model specific testing to go into it.

    Now, I disagree with [@]sog35[/@] regarding the absolute feasibility for a $450 USD 4" iPhone. There could be other costs that come down, as is common in CE, as well as logistics that make having a 3rd display size better for balancing production and increasing net unit sales, revenue and profit. For all we know they wanted to keep the 4" as a flagship device but they wanted it to be the same resolution as the 4.7", 1334 × 750 for 383 PPI, which is pretty close to the iPhone 6 Plus at 401 PPI.

    Can we all at least agree that there are far too many unknowns to know what Apple could do next, especially given their many radical changeups in 8 generations of the iPhone?
  • Reply 96 of 244
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    have you even held the 6? 

     

    It seriously takes less space in my pocket and feels more comformtable to use than the 5S because of its smooth and thin design. It took like 1 hour to get use to the size.




    I still have issues with 1 handed use in the iPhone 6. I walk the dog and text frequently. The leash in one hand and the phone in the other and the iPhone 6 is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to use in this use case (this is one of many). There are some things I like the larger screen for but on whole, I would LOVE a 4" flagship option.

  • Reply 97 of 244
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    LOL.

     

    the only reason millions 'put up' with a small phone is it was an iPhone.

     

    All you people with small hands, small pockets, small fingers, need to realize you are the grand minority.




    A colourful iPhone mini is going to look great in tiny - not fully grown - teenage hands.

  • Reply 98 of 244
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    I mean seriously whats next? A 3.5 inch phone?  


     

     

    I would love love LOVE to have a phone w/ a 3.5" screen in the form factor of the 6 (slim & small bezels). A tiny phone that I can use w/ basic phone, camera, sms, maps, find my friends,  etc.

     

    The smaller the better for my basic communications.

     

    For media consumption and gaming, I'll use an iPad.

  • Reply 99 of 244
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    I have suggested this multiple times in the past! I wouldn't mind if this rumor turns out to be true.

     

    I am of the belief that a small phone and a large tablet is a good solution.

     

    I have nothing against large phones like the iPhone 6+, but there are people out there who prefer smaller phones also.

     

    I actually wouldn't mind a super tiny, midget sized 2.5" or 3" Apple phone. I'm not going to game on any phone or watch any movies. It would primarily be a communications device, and it would be so small that you wouldn't even notice that it's in your pocket.

  • Reply 100 of 244
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I was also thinking about this the other day. Imagining Apple's iPhone lineup next year consisting of:

    A) An iPhone 6c - Basically a re-bodied 5s in an updated polycarbonate body, as the "free" iPhone.
    B) The iPhone 6 Mini - 2014's iPhone 6 in a smaller body with the 4" display, as the $99 iPhone.
    C) The iPhone 6s with all the latest tech.
    D) The iPhone 6s Plus with the larger screen.

    So all of Apple's iPhone lineup would now come with the 64bit architecture and Touch ID as standard.
Sign In or Register to comment.