Editorial: the world revolved around Apple, Inc in 2014

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

In a year where Ebola ravaged western Africa, Russia invaded Ukraine, IS took over large swathes of the Middle East, three airliners were lost and the world marked the centenary of World War I, only a writer with the arrogance, conceit and ignorance of Dilger would propose that the world 'revolved around Apple Inc'.

Tells you everything you need to know.

...naturally our conversation is limited in context to the tech world. duh. 

try harder.

• Reply 62 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I have a sneaking suspicion that DED believes that the entire world does revolve around Apple Inc.

There is certainly little among his sycophantic drivel which would support a contrary view!

ah, youre just trolling. i see.

• Reply 63 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

This years succes is next years failure. [...]

Apples future could be similar to that of Philips and it could be that it has to focus solely on its financial systems (Apple Pay), it's business software solutions (with IBM) and its medical and sports devices.

...or it could continue being a consumer powerhouse for years to come. i have no reason to think otherwise.

• Reply 64 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I'm not sure what her makeup has to do with it. If you're questioning her sense of style since she's the head of retail, I wouldn't get hung up on one bad photo. It's not even her official Apple portrait. 

and the photo seems to have been over-sharpened, added to its poor quality that the whiner attributed to caked on makeup. it was likely passed around from website to website...

• Reply 65 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I love you sarcasm lol

i get that youre likely trolling, but how are you even pretending he was being sarcastic? the post doesnt leave any room for interpretation -- the new hq design is to facilitate unity w/ its workers...and, this is an apple-centric blog.

• Reply 66 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

I see the point. As I said, I hope I am wrong. To me the Spaceship idea is boastful, out of reality - no matter how eco it sounds. Also hard to see that a round building is very practical. Moving accross the building must take a lot of time. 

so, despite the hard data on its eco-friendly stats, youre going to simply discredit them, because....they dont pass your muster? and youre close to the project in some way? able to evaluate the data and show why it should be discredited....? or are you just making things up?

a round building is very practical. Jobs explained why and how he learned it at Pixar, where they had to use the bathroom facilities in the middle of the space, so they all had to run into each other. or how old HP execs would do "walk around" management and walk around the hallways looking at things.

just because youre evidently ignorant to this stuff doesnt make it a bad idea.

btw, the "I sure hope I'm wrong, but...." stuff is very close to being a concern-troll.

• Reply 67 of 103
    ascii wrote: »
    Not everything in 2014 was awesome. The new iTunes 12 is not an improvement, it's like a web browser with 2 address bars at the top. First you have to specify what type of media you want to view and then whether you want to view your own media or the Store's. It's always 2 clicks to get where you want to go whereas the earlier GUI with a bar down the left allowed you to get anywhere with 1 click.

And whether OS X 10.10 was an improvement over 10.9 depends on individual taste. I personally have upgraded, but know others who haven't (and won't) due to the look of it.

Also the new Mac mini was cheaper but was also a disappointment to people who already owned one and wanted to upgrade it. They found the new model had fewer cores, fewer drive options, fewer GPU options and soldered on memory. But the role of the Mini is to be your first Mac, not the one you upgrade year to year, so low price is more important, and maybe those people should upgrade to an iMac.

But the overall success of 2014 is hard to deny. Apple really took Samsung apart. Even though the courts didn't give Apple much compensation for the blatant copying, they still got their revenge through the use of business tactics, making moves to reduce chip production with Samsung and also releasing bigger phones to cut off Samsung's revenue.

At this point the big unknown for 2015 is the Watch, how successful it will be. Apple fans must be holding their breath. I honestly don't think it's fate will be decided in 2015 though, because the interesting question is what happens when it gets it's own cellular radio, and that will be a few revisions away. Does the watch become the dominant mobile form factor, and iin 3 years will we look back on people carrying phones in their pockets as the distant past?

No.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'd say most people don't use advanced features. To them the old versions were plenty.

I wouldn't call control center or actionable notifications "advanced features". I know a lot of people who hated being kicked out of the app they were in whenever they wanted to reply to an incoming text message.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    I wonder what DED would say about this? http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/30/samsung-apple-satisfaction/

To me it says Apple needs to up its software quality and these iOS 8 bugs are slowly chipping away at customer sat (as Tim Cook calls it). Something else that might be lowering that score is people not having enough space to upgrade their software. These numbers might go up again with the bigger phones but if in 2015 Apple focused on polishing iOS 8 and upped base storage to 32GB Apple would get its customer sat crown back.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wouldn't call control center or actionable notifications "advanced features". I know a lot of people who hated being kicked out of the app they were in whenever they wanted to reply to an incoming text message.

You conveniently chose the least advanced feature. I doubt you're summing up iOS 7/8 by that single solitary feature.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

Good article, but I just can't help thinking that "no tree grows to heaven" or "not one empire has lasted". Nokia seemed to be invincible for a while and then BOOM, nothing left (of phone business). Microsoft seemed to be invincible, now very shaky. I just don't like this new campus idea. When empires start to focus on monuments, they usually are already on a slide down. I hope I am wrong.

Seem is the operable word in regards to Nokia. Symbian was a dead-end foundation which eventually collapsed, or better yet, Elop jumped off the burning platform of Symbian.

As for Microsoft, if you go back in time, you'll find that many, including Dilger were pointing out that Microsoft was on borrowed time, Ballmer was just reshuffling the deck chairs.

As for the "new campus idea", you come up with a theory, but neither of your examples of Nokia nor Microsoft built new campuses. And, Apple is hardly focused upon "monuments", or did you not read Dilger's piece, in which he details all the things Apple was up to in 2014. What you may not realize about Apple's new campus is that it is the anti-monument. It's hardly that tall, only a few stories high, and a viewer from the ground will never realize how large it is, because it will always be tapering away from their perspective. In other words, it will always appear far smaller than it actually is, thus, the anti-monument. It only appears grandiose from the sky. Most people will drive by Apple's grove of trees ringing the property and have no idea that the new campus is even there. That's hardly a monument.

• Reply 72 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No.

No to everything, lol. So:

- You think it's easier to navigate to what you want in iTunes 12 than previous versions, even though it takes more clicks. Ok, I prefer to be able to go directly to what I want rather than what is effectively a 2 level menu system, that often stops to load in between menu clicks.

- You think that liking the look of 10.9 or 10.10 is not a matter of individual taste. I think 10.9 and earlier did not look bad or awful, it was just a bit tired, so I can imagine how some people might still like it. Also somehow the changes in 10.10 didn't really get rid of the tiredness.

- You think the new Mac mini was a worthy upgrade over the old one. Having only 2 cores instead of 4 really is noticeable these days (it didn't used to be but I think with Grand Central Dispatch the OS supports more cores better than it used to) Also taking away the user accessible door on the bottom was telling, it was like saying to hobbyists and tinkerers "This machine is not for you any more, it's purely a budget entry level computer."

- You think Apple is not taking Samsung apart in the business world. Well the activation figures for Christmas presents suggests Samsung had a pretty bad Christmas at least.

- You think the watch will not become the dominant mobile form factor. Well, after years of using pocket watches the wristwatch eventually took over. So there is historical precedent to people liking that form factor. Will wrist computers similarly take over from pocket computers? The biggest barrier will be the smaller screen but that is not insurmountable, it just needs some new ideas in UI.

• Reply 73 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder what DED would say about this? http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/30/samsung-apple-satisfaction/

To me it says Apple needs to up its software quality and these iOS 8 bugs are slowly chipping away at customer sat (as Tim Cook calls it). Something else that might be lowering that score is people not having enough space to upgrade their software. These numbers might go up again with the bigger phones but if in 2015 Apple focused on polishing iOS 8 and upped base storage to 32GB Apple would get its customer sat crown back.

In those online lists of celebrity favorite books, Tim Cook's is listed as "Competing Against Time" by George Stalk.

In essence, his business strategy is for Apple to move so fast other companies simply can't keep up. He knows logisitics is where his personal gift is, so he has cleverly found a strategy for Apple that plays to his strengths. 

But I think it's inevitable that there will be more bugs with this strategy (I am a software developer by profession). I suspect the name Swift on their new programming language is not about how fast the compiled programs run, but that it will enable swifter software development, and thus further enable Tim's strategy. Bringing design of more chips in house also enables this, since anything they obtain from outside the company is a potential bottleneck. Someone like DED who follows all Apple's moves closely could probably name a lot more examples.

• Reply 74 of 103
    jack c wrote: »
    Good article, but I just can't help thinking that "no tree grows to heaven" or "not one empire has lasted". Nokia seemed to be invincible for a while and then BOOM, nothing left (of phone business). Microsoft seemed to be invincible, now very shaky. I just don't like this new campus idea. When empires start to focus on monuments, they usually are already on a slide down. I hope I am wrong.

Rest assured. You are. Very.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    netmage wrote: »
    I'm not sure there is a good understanding of the effect of stock buyback in this article.

Please enlighten us.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    kenc wrote: »

Seem is the operable word in regards to Nokia. Symbian was a dead-end foundation which eventually collapsed, or better yet, Elop jumped off the burning platform of Symbian.

As for Microsoft, if you go back in time, you'll find that many, including Dilger were pointing out that Microsoft was on borrowed time, Ballmer was just reshuffling the deck chairs.

As for the "new campus idea", you come up with a theory, but neither of your examples of Nokia nor Microsoft built new campuses. And, Apple is hardly focused upon "monuments", or did you not read Dilger's piece, in which he details all the things Apple was up to in 2014. What you may not realize about Apple's new campus is that it is the anti-monument. It's hardly that tall, only a few stories high, and a viewer from the ground will never realize how large it is, because it will always be tapering away from their perspective. In other words, it will always appear far smaller than it actually is, thus, the anti-monument. It only appears grandiose from the sky. Most people will drive by Apple's grove of trees ringing the property and have no idea that the new campus is even there. That's hardly a monument.

Good answer, this anti-monument idea.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    No.
    No to everything, lol. So:

- You think it's easier to navigate to what you want in iTunes 12 than previous versions, even though it takes more clicks. Ok, I prefer to be able to go directly to what I want rather than what is effectively a 2 level menu system, that often stops to load in between menu clicks.

- You think that liking the look of 10.9 or 10.10 is not a matter of individual taste. I think 10.9 and earlier did not look bad or awful, it was just a bit tired, so I can imagine how some people might still like it. Also somehow the changes in 10.10 didn't really get rid of the tiredness.

- You think the new Mac mini was a worthy upgrade over the old one. Having only 2 cores instead of 4 really is noticeable these days (it didn't used to be but I think with Grand Central Dispatch the OS supports more cores better than it used to) Also taking away the user accessible door on the bottom was telling, it was like saying to hobbyists and tinkerers "This machine is not for you any more, it's purely a budget entry level computer."

- You think Apple is not taking Samsung apart in the business world. Well the activation figures for Christmas presents suggests Samsung had a pretty bad Christmas at least.

- You think the watch will not become the dominant mobile form factor. Well, after years of using pocket watches the wristwatch eventually took over. So there is historical precedent to people liking that form factor. Will wrist computers similarly take over from pocket computers? The biggest barrier will be the smaller screen but that is not insurmountable, it just needs some new ideas in UI.

I liked a lot of your original post.

However, you only asked one question.

I answered it.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I answered it.

Oh. Since you quoted the whole thing I thought you were saying "No" to the whole thing. So you don't think the watch form factor will take over in 3 years, fair enough.

• Reply 79 of 103

I answered it.

Oh. Since you quoted the whole thing I thought you were saying "No" to the whole thing. So you don't think the watch form factor will take over in 3 years, fair enough.

On a Mac, I would have chopped the quote down, but it's a pain to do on the iPhone.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You conveniently chose the least advanced feature. I doubt you're summing up iOS 7/8 by that single solitary feature.

I'm not. But then again I think very few of the end user features could be considered "advanced" features that the average user wouldn't care about. For example, starting an email on my phone and being able to finish it off on my iPad is a great feature. Being able to answer calls on my iPad If my phone isn't right near by is a great feature. I use the iPasseord app now because of extensions. Maybe some people would consider these things advanced but even if they are they're not difficult to learn and use. I'm glad there are people in charge at Apple now who feel iOS has been around long enough and people are familiar enough with it that they can introduce new features like this. Now they just need to resist the pressures from marketing and make 2015 a "Snow Leoppard" year. Prioritize polishing iOS 8 and Yosemite over adding new features.