Samsung offers to buy BlackBerry for $7.5 billion - report [ux2: denied]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    Samsung doesn't know where they're headed. Invested in making KNOX, which has been a failure. Then making a deal with Google to share KNOX IP for use in Android to improve security. Then partnering with BB on mobile security. Now they want to buy BB? Then there's the newly announced Tizen smartphone (2nd time around) and switching their smart TV's from Android to Tizen.

This is a company without any clear direction.

Like Google.

They're peas in a pod.
  • Reply 22 of 86

Could BB10 come to samsung phones and android get pushed aside?

• Reply 23 of 86
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    %u2026because this strategy worked so well for Microsoft when it bought Nokia%u2019s mobile phone division & HP when it bought Palm%u2026
  • Reply 24 of 86
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    This is primarily about getting out from under Google. Samsung needs to own it's OS if they want to make any money.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

The only reason I can think of is that Samsung wants to get into corporate services before Apple and IBM become huge.

• Reply 26 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Canada will not allow it to happen, they rather it die than be owned by a foreign company. BB will got the way of Nortel and its IP will be auction off to the highest over bidder, may google will get the bidding right this time.

• Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Canada will not allow it to happen, they rather it die than be owned by a foreign company. BB will got the way of Nortel and its IP will be auction off to the highest over bidder, may google will get the bidding right this time.

Hey... if Tim Horton's can be bought by Burger King then BB can be bought by Samsung.

• Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The only reason I can think of is that Samsung wants to get into corporate services before Apple and IBM become huge.

... or, Samsung, a company that is constantly talking about "the internet of things", is buying QNX specifically for that purpose. They would also get a better OS to replace Android.

On top of that, Car Play is tied to QNX.

• Reply 29 of 86
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    paxman wrote: »
    The OS could serve them well, perhaps?

Possibly, Samsung seems to want to move from Android and Tizen has no support yet. Blackberry's QNX at least has over 100k apps already. Blackberry is really in trouble. They had a $4.4b loss in Q3 2014. It's been all losses last year:

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam/bbCompany/Desktop/Global/PDF/Investors/Documents/2015/IR_Supplement_Q3_FY15_12182014.pdf

They still have $3b assets after liabilities so they can hold out a while longer as long as they don't have crazy losses like last year but if the losses are similar to 2014, they're bankrupt before the year is out. I think they'd be best to sell up because it's just downhill for them if they go it alone.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post

I think we all knew this was coming... Blackberry isn't selling, Samsung's profits/sales are dropping.

So instead of spending $7.5B on credible, research-driven R&D, let's buy another company!

So how much more does Apple spend on R&D than Samsung - go on, take a really wild guess, it will be a nice match for the really wild supposition.

Your first sentence was spot on, I must say.  If Samsung were to offer $70 M, that might be more like it.

• Reply 31 of 86
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    I have been trading BBRY options all summer and been making very good returns because the premium on selling PUTS and covered calls is so great. My latest option contacts I sold were $10 and $11 puts 3 weeks ago,now that the stock has jumped up they will expire wortleess on Friday 16th and I will keep the premium. I don't think the Canadian governement will allow a sale because of the simple fact that a foreign entity will then have access to the encryption keys. And Samesong isn't exactly known for moral fiber in commerce, add to that the layoffs which would result in Canada. DON'T think so. This is about the only time I have to thank Samasung for something, i.e making me money! way to go Sammy
  • Reply 32 of 86
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    This would be a big win for Samsung. I bet the US Government would raise an eyebrow over possible future security concerns.

I also believe this would give Samsung a second try to get it right this time. I bet Samsung would like to get away from Android as much as possible and Blackberry needs development.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member

I still think Apple should buy HTC.  They should have some nice patents sitting around.

• Reply 34 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    juanguapo wrote: »
    I think we all knew this was coming... Blackberry isn't selling, Samsung's profits/sales are dropping.

So instead of spending $7.5B on credible, research-driven R&D, let's buy another company!

Like the $3B Apple spent on Beats? I'd rather have Blackberry patents (and possibly QNX) than Beats headphones.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

This is primarily about getting out from under Google. Samsung needs to own it's OS if they want to make any money.

They have one - Tizen.  Whatever they want out of Blackberry I doubt it's an OS.  My guess is it could be their encryption based communications infrastructure.

• Reply 36 of 86

Apple should buy Intel and convert the Atom foundries...

• Reply 37 of 86
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... or, Samsung, a company that is constantly talking about "the internet of things", is buying QNX specifically for that purpose. They would also get a better OS to replace Android.

On top of that, Car Play is tied to QNX.

I wonder what the deal with Ford is worth since they've ditched Microsoft for QNX in the upcoming Sync 3? 

• Reply 38 of 86
    This is exactly what they need to turn their tired, sagging Galaxy line around. Said no one, ever.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Two turkeys do not make an eagle.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I guess they plan to recreate this?

I own that exact model and year, except mine is Candyapple Red....and the wheel cover is intact. :D