BlackBerry CEO prods regulators for 'app neutrality,' wants cross-platform iMessage

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Get better friends.

Apple can't release FaceTime on other platforms because of lawsuits.

Re 'Get better friends' ... I had to chuckle at that. My wife was berating me recently for trying to limit our friends to Apple using, well educated, scientifically minded people. A friend from the west coast who was there at the time suggested we leave Florida! LOL
  • Reply 62 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Americans have joined Al-Qaeda before. Being an "American" doesn't make somebody immune from having ridiculous, anti-freedom and offensive ideas. Plenty of nutjobs happen to be American.

And Chen's proposal is definitely outrageous, ridiculous and goes against the concept of free-will and self determination. A company should be free to develop for whoever they wish.

Except that you're wrong in this. This particular thing he's asking for is silly. But when a company's a monopoly, there are things they can't do, and things they must do. This is VERY American. It comes from the 19th century, when they already understood that unbridled capitalism would be dangerous to our way of life.

So for you to make generalized statements like that is wrong. It shows a misunderstanding of society and the need to keep major entities from just taking over. Something that is slowly happening due to the benighted ideas of some in this country that big corporations should be allowed to do whatever they like, no matter how destructive to the country it would be.
  • Reply 63 of 138
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    WTF - moronic! Just like they let everybody use their keyboard design. What a twit.
  • Reply 64 of 138
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Except that you're wrong in this. This particular thing he's asking for is silly. But when a company's a monopoly, there are things they can't do, and things they must do. This is VERY American. It comes from the 19th century, when they already understood that unbridled capitalism would be dangerous to our way of life.

So for you to make generalized statements like that is wrong. It shows a misunderstanding of society and the need to keep major entities from just taking over. Something that is slowly happening due to the benighted ideas of some in this country that big corporations should be allowed to do whatever they like, no matter how destructive to the country it would be.

I can understand the argument when it comes to railroads or telecom companies or utilities, but apps? That just sounds crazy, in my opinion.

• Reply 65 of 138
    ireland wrote: »
    Anti-American? This has nothing to do with America. Your last few presidents have been wiping their ass with your constitution anyway.

Do you get Fox News in Ireland?
  • Reply 66 of 138

After a decade of "I won't play with you kids, and your playground stinks too!", we suddenly start getting "I'm going to force them to put your swing-set in MY playground, and make you come play with me!"

Blackberry can be satisfied with YIM, ICQ, AIM, FB, GT, G-G, and the variety of apps that support them. And there's always good old SMS.  

• Reply 67 of 138
    Deleted with regret for responding to trollish postings and veering things off-topic.

• Reply 68 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    freerange wrote: »
    WTF - moronic! Just like they let everybody use their keyboard design. What a twit.

That's actually a good point. Good catch.
  • Reply 69 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Well, Robin, with the exception of the current office-holder, I would tend to agree with Ireland.

You must be a comedian or something, because nobody has violated and broken the consitution more than the "current office-holder". 

• Reply 70 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You must be a comedian or something, because nobody has violated and broken the consitution more than the "current office-holder". 

The Constitution has been broken & bent by every President since Lincoln decided to wipe his ass with it. Obama, Bush, Clinton & FDR are among the worst offenders

• Reply 71 of 138

The problem here is - there's no limit to the number of "platforms" or "handsets".  He might want Apple to develop for Blackberry, but what about Android?  What about Windows?  What about Symbian?  What about Hardware Fragmentation?  What about the Amazon Fire cut of Android?  What about other proprietary cuts of Android?  It's all a bunch of rubbish.

If he wants Netflix on his ecosystem, then he should fund the app developers to do so.  If Netflix can't see a return or additional benefit, then they won't spend the money.  If he wants to change that, then he needs to provide Netflix with a benefit or incentive.  He needs to contract with them and offer them $$ to hire and retain BB developers to provide the service.  It's in BB's interest, not Netflix's.

If it's not feasible for either Netflix or BB to finance the development - then they either get a different strategy that doesn't involve Netflix, or they realize that their platform is dead.

• Reply 72 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

The Constitution has been broken & bent by every President since Lincoln decided to wipe his ass with it. Obama, Bush, Clinton & FDR are among the worst offenders

Indeed it has, but it was worth pointing out that the assertion that the "current office-holder" is not guilty of this, is a ludicrous and ridiculous, factually incorrect statement.

• Reply 73 of 138
  • Reply 74 of 138
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    paxman wrote: »
    You can use iMessage with Android text messages. I do that all the time.
    No you don't. You use the Messages app to send SMS/MMS to your Android friends.
    The Messages app sends iMessages, SMS & MMS
    Unless they have downloaded the iMessagesforAndroid app. And created an AppleID to use with it.
  • Reply 75 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    melgross wrote: »
    Apple released the protocols to the standards association several years ago. It's up to other companies to support them, rather than that of their own software. If they don't want to do that, then people should be blaming them, and not Apple.
    Pretty sure that never happened, hence my earlier "/s"

Could you provide a link to back up that claim?
  • Reply 76 of 138
    dignan wrote: »
    Who is John Galt?

Exactly.
  • Reply 77 of 138
    ireland wrote: »
    I'd so love for Apple to open up iMessage and FaceTime by releasing those apps on Android. To be able to send iMessages to everyone (Android users would download iMessage) would make my usage of my Apple devices far more seamless and enjoyable. Juggling messaging apps is quite annoying.

I hear you. That's why I cut off my Android-loving friends. Gives them time to rethink their mistake. ;)
  • Reply 78 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I hear you. That's why I cut off my Android-loving friends. Gives them time to rethink their mistake. ;)
    How many of them come to the conclusion that the mistake was having you as a friend in the first place?

Cutting off someone because of the phone they bought, sheesh.
  • Reply 79 of 138
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

The problem here is - there's no limit to the number of "platforms" or "handsets".  He might want Apple to develop for Blackberry, but what about Android?  What about Windows?  What about Symbian?  What about Hardware Fragmentation?  What about the Amazon Fire cut of Android?  What about other proprietary cuts of Android?  It's all a bunch of rubbish.

HTML5 App.

Unless your platform is 10 years old and has received 0 updates, it should work.

-----------------

That being said, I've never heard a more silly argument for "open" anything than what I have read here. Proprietary services have been with the internet since public release of it and they were never a problem. What WAS a problem were the various proprietary standards fighting each other.

I suggest if Mr Chen really wants to keep an open internet, then he should be advocating against instances such as the W3C accepting DRM standards into HTML5, not whether he can iMessage or not.

• Reply 80 of 138

iMessage does work on all phones (in a roundabout way)... if the person you're sending a text to doesn't have iOS/OSX then it will send it as SMS rather than iMessage... I suppose that doesn't help if your destination doesn't have SMS texting enabled on their phone... but... that's the luddite's limitation, not yours.

(and the reverse is true... someone using Android (or the person using WinMo) can send you a text via SMS, iMessage receives through the SMS channel seamlessly.)

(edit: "Messages" is the Apple app, "iMessage" is their data-stream messaging protocol. ... The "Messages" app seamlessly integrates the "iMessage" protocol with SMS/MMS.  So the Android users don't really get to use iMessage with their iOS friends, but iOS and android et al can still send messages back and forth and iOS users using "Messages" never really have to know whether it's using iMessage or SMS.)

(...unless you're out of cellular coverage, in which case a message can't be sent as SMS over WiFi and will be sent only when you're back in coverage... but if it's that time-sensitive, wouldn't you just call anyway to make sure they "get" the message in a timely manner?)