Shuttle drivers at Apple, other Silicon Valley tech companies vote for Teamsters representation

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,989member
    It's semantic, but I would argue that since marketing, manufacturing, and customers service budgets all fall under products, they are part of the excellent product that Apple delivers.

Certainly though, there are amazing widgets out there that almost nobody knows about. Like gaffers tape :P

Everyone needs to know about gaffers tape. We need an app for that! ????
  • Reply 162 of 170
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Everyone needs to know about gaffers tape. We need an app for that! ????

I keep three or four 3-inch pieces of tape on the back of a credit card I never use. So handy to have it with me everywhere.

• Reply 163 of 170
    I keep three or four 3-inch pieces of tape on the back of a credit card I never use. So handy to have it with me everywhere.

"What's in YOUR wallet"?
  • Reply 164 of 170
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Profits are the reason for being for a business. This is simply a fact. And it's also a fact that labor represents the largest expense for businesses in the US, so naturally automation and workforce reductions are a point of focus.
    Congratulations. You have made so many crazy, self righteous posts over the last few weeks, I feel compelled to block you. "This is simply a fact!"
  • Reply 165 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Congratulations. You have made so many crazy, self righteous posts over the last few weeks, I feel compelled to block you. "This is simply a fact!"

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a hoot.

• Reply 166 of 170
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,799member
    Quote:

Profits are the reason for being for a business. This is simply a fact. 

Businesses can be run as a not-for-profit organisation or be state owned to deliver a public good.

So no, not a fact.  Profits are a reason for being for a business.

• Reply 167 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Businesses can be run as a not-for-profit organisation or be state owned to deliver a public good.

So no, not a fact.  Profits are a reason for being for a business.

If you are a non-profit, you aren't really a business now, are you? You're a charity.

• Reply 168 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member

If you are a non-profit, you aren't really a business now, are you? You're a charity.

Unless you're a professional sports team.
  • Reply 169 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Unless you're a professional sports team.

A professional sports team is hardly a non-profit. The sports leagues themselves ARE tax-exempt.

• Reply 170 of 170
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,799member
    Quote:

No.  There are overlaps between not-for-profit businesses and charities, but they are not the same thing.  All charities are not-for-profit organisations, but not all not-for-profit organisations are charities.

Take a look here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)_organization.  Many of these types are indistinguishable from any other type of for-profit business, apart from the use of their surplus.

Also, since you mention it, while some of their funding may be unconventional from a for-profit business standpoint, the breadth of work that charities end up doing means that they will often operationally meet the definition of a business.