Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung P

Comments

• Reply 181 of 206
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Am I the only one that sees Samsung scaling back on features and moving toward a better design with more useful features as a good thing for consumers? I've been saying this is one thing others can emulate from Apple and something that Apple can't go after them for "stealing."

Might be too late. I won't be surprised if their sales drop as low as the rest of the Android OEMs.
  • Reply 182 of 206
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Am I the only one that sees Samsung scaling back on features and moving toward a better design with more useful features as a good thing for consumers? I've been saying this is one thing others can emulate from Apple and something that Apple can't go after them for "stealing."

Apple shareholders do not give credit to anyone but Apple for anything.

• Reply 183 of 206
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Why go with the copy, Samsung, if you can buy the cheaper copy, Xiaomi, or the original, Apple? I applaud Samsung for following the path that Apple pioneered, but Samsung is late, and they haven't educated their "loyal" followers to accept this new paradigm.

As I said before, it is all death spiral with Android. Nobody but Google gets out alive.

• Reply 184 of 206
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    tmay wrote: »
    Why go with the copy, Samsung, if you can buy the cheaper copy, Xiaomi, or the original, Apple? I applaud Samsung for following the path that Apple pioneered, but Samsung is late, and they haven't educated their "loyal" followers to accept this new paradigm.

I think Samsung has a chance to maintain their rank as #2 in the handset market and #1 in the Android-based smartphone market. I think there enough people that want an Apple-class device without buying Apple. There is no ned to comment on their mentality or reasoning skills at this juncture, we only need to acknowledge that there is a market for a good phone that doesn't run iOS.
    As I said before, it is all death spiral with Android. Nobody but Google gets out alive.

I don't see that at all. I see Apple increasing their lead over Android because of complex issues Google decided to sweep under the carpet instead of laying a better foundation for Android and OEMs, but I don't think for a second Android is going to disappear, and I see Google, Samsung and MS profiting from Android. With Google it's mostly indirect, and with Samsung and MS it's direct, HW and contracts for using their IP, respectively.
  • Reply 185 of 206
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

I never said it wasn't a good thing. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to buy a Samsung phone, I'd definitely be happy about that. 

My point was that it shows Samsung's sheer hypocrisy, and how much of an empty carcas their software effort is. It validates all those who always realized that Samsung's software is trash. Samsung used these software bullet points as advertising for years, and their fans loved trumpeting them in comparison with iOS. What does it tell you when they're so willing to scrap 40% of them at once? That they never believed these features were worth a damn in the first place, beyond marketing bullet points, and that they never believed they were for the benefit of the consumer. Those who mocked the "eye-tracking" and "wireless touch" gimmicks that never worked were called "jealous iSheep". Same with all the hardware features they just dropped, like waterproofing, SD storage, removable battery, etc. Isn't this the entire POINT of Android?

My point is that these companies bash Apple, but at the end of the day their ultimate, ideal product always trends towards Apple's vision more and more. Flagship Android devices are now sealed, non-expandable, non-flexible slabs of metal and glass, just like Apple's original vision in 2006. The same form factor all OEMs mocked Apple for the past decade. 

• Reply 186 of 206
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I should give "credit" to Samsung for aping the iPhone's physical design, aping their payment concept AND branding, and trashing 40% of their own features- features that they were just recently trumpeting, and using to bash the iPhone? Along with the dozens of other features they've aped the last couple years?

Amazing achievement. I'll be sure to redefine what kinds of things deserve "credit". It's amusing to see the same trolls that claimed to "love" Samsung's software features, now praising samsung for removing them. My, the mental gymnastics one must do to be a Samsung fan. I almost have pity. 

And yes, I am a shareholder. But I'm not stupid enough to think my opinion has any effect on the stock. I'm sorry you weren't insightful enough to buy any stock, but you don't need to hold a grudge against those who were. 

• Reply 187 of 206
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

I think Samsung has a chance to maintain their rank as #2 in the handset market and #1 in the Android-based smartphone market. I think there enough people that want an Apple-class device without buying Apple. There is no ned to comment on their mentality or reasoning skills at this juncture, we only need to acknowledge that there is a market for a good phone that doesn't run iOS.

I don't see that at all. I see Apple increasing their lead over Android because of complex issues Google decided to sweep under the carpet instead of laying a better foundation for Android and OEMs, but I don't think for a second Android is going to disappear, and I see Google, Samsung and MS profiting from Android. With Google it's mostly indirect, and with Samsung and MS it's direct, HW and contracts for using their IP, respectively.

Sorry, I meant hardware OEM's failing, and wrt low profits, but yeah, it's a death spiral. 

• Reply 188 of 206
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Haha. Oh wait, you're actually serious. I will give credit where credit is due. I'm not going to give credit to thieves.
  • Reply 189 of 206
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

It's uncanny how similar the bottom and top of the phone is to the iPhone 6. But they've done enough here where a customer knows what they are buying. The back is gorilla glass, which is quite beautiful. The 'Edge' model is being praised as comfortable and luxe, and quite a unique differentiator to the iPhone 6. 

You can be mad all day because Samsung took some design cues from the iPhone 6, but they will still sell a tremendous amount of these phones. And for those who are claiming iOS is Apple's key differentiator, it's really not a massive gap anymore in terms of OS quality. Lollipop is a beautiful and functional OS. Take a dip if you can find a phone that supports it right now...or wait for the S6. ;).

As for me, I'm still happy with the iPhone 6 Plus, and quite comfortable in the Apple ecosystem. There's no denying the gap has really closed, so lets hope that Apple Watch is a revolution.

• Reply 190 of 206
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    While everyone here is making fun of S-Pay, it appears there's going to be an all-out assault against ?Pay form the Apple-haters including the media.

Take a look at this headline this morning in the Guardian... even though it's completely false:

Apple Pay: a new frontier for scammers

Turns out that it's the banks that authorizing credit cards to the fraudsters.... but of course it"s "Apple's Fault" as always. The comments are downright hideous and from the uninformed and brainwashed.

The comments are indeed awful, never mind the article. Too bad many comments were removed Good to see the author participating so much in the discussion. We don't see that here, except for Daniel, though he seems to do in order to bash people, and the resulting 'likes'.

jungmark wrote: »
    Sammy has no loyal customers. Plus I bet the number that care about removable batteries or sd card is relatively small.

That would be very difficult to measure how many loyal customers Samsung has.

Whay was the outcry from Android users so loud when the iPhone doesn't have removable batteries, nor SD Cars slot? It must be a large number of users who wanted this on their 'Android' phone, seeing this being repeated over and over as to why the iPhone was a 'dumbphone'.
  • Reply 191 of 206
    hsmarthsmart Posts: 2member
    UFS is the game changer.
  • Reply 192 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Gosh, now TouchID is so yesterday. Make way for ultrasonic scanning I guess.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/qualcomm-unveils-its-answer-to-touch-id-ultrasonic-fingerprint-scanning/
  • Reply 193 of 206
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just wait until Samsung reveals the price. If it's close or the same as the iPhone then they lose their price advantage. Who would buy a commodity Android phone at the same price as an iPhone? I think Samsung has once again misjudged their market.
  • Reply 194 of 206
    hsmart wrote: »
    UFS is the game changer.

Quite so. Much faster than what we have on iDevices, although Apple has increased the NAND controller speed. But is still the crap USB connector at the other end of the cable. And since the S6 has now been downgraded to USB2 (the S5 had USB3) both brands saturate the data throughput at the same rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Flash_Storage

The more I look at the S6 the more downgrades I see over the S5. Smaller battery, USB2, no SD card slot, not waterproof, back made out of glass...

That should be a bummer to people who prefer Samsung, though I have never heard of brand loyalty from a Samsung smartphone owner.
  • Reply 195 of 206
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Gosh, now TouchID is so yesterday. Make way for ultrasonic scanning I guess.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/qualcomm-unveils-its-answer-to-touch-id-ultrasonic-fingerprint-scanning/

Without directly touching the scanner, how are you to hold the phone? Back to two-handed use? The beauty of Touch ID is that one holds the phone in their hand (singular) while unlocking or paying.
  • Reply 196 of 206
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Without directly touching the scanner, how are you to hold the phone? Back to two-handed use? The beauty of Touch ID is that one holds the phone in their hand (singular) while unlocking or paying.

It doesn't say you can't touch the sensor... it just says you don't have to touch the sensor.

Qualcomm's sensor uses ultrasonic waves to read your fingerprint... instead of direct contact.

The article speculates that the sensor could even be under under the surface of the phone. Imagine if your entire screen could read your fingerprint.

It's a pretty neat idea. Let's hope it's as accurate as capacitive sensors.
  • Reply 197 of 206
    It doesn't say you can't touch the sensor... it just says you don't have to touch the sensor.

Qualcomm's sensor uses ultrasonic waves to read your fingerprint... instead of direct contact.

The article speculates that the sensor could even be under under the surface of the phone. Imagine if your entire screen could read your fingerprint.

It's a pretty neat idea. Let's hope it's as accurate as capacitive sensors.

Ah, ok. Well, if it works good Apple still won't adopt in order to put it behind the display. They still would want their iconic home button to serve its purpose as a hardware button.
  • Reply 198 of 206
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Ah, ok. Well, if it works good Apple still won't adopt in order to put it behind the display. They still would want their iconic home button to serve its purpose as a hardware button.

Yeah... I don't see Apple ditching their home button anytime soon either. It works well as it is.

But didn't Apple have some patents for under-the-glass sensors? Lord knows they've patented everything else :)
  • Reply 199 of 206
    But didn't Apple have some patents for under-the-glass sensors? Lord knows they've patented everything else :)

If they have I've missed it. Like you say, they patent lots and lots of ideas. I wonder what the percentage is of patents that turn into actual products/services.
  • Reply 200 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MasterCard posted a video introducing Samsung Pay. Pretty short but gives an idea how it will work in practice:

[VIDEO]

I did find it surprising that the launch partners included JP Morgan Chase & Co., Bank of America, Citigroup and US Bancorp. I think those may be the four largest card-issuers in the US outside of American Express.

I guess that's called hedging your bets.

EDIT:
    Found this one too, a lot more detailed
    http://www.cnet.com/videos/link/R_k8OecreqyfttirzjvYErsALzBbhDv5/