Steel Apple Watch collection pricing will range from $549 to $1099 depending on band selection

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Except those were stand alone products. The ?Watch is an ACCESSORY to the iPhone. You can't even load apps without the iPhone if I understood Tim Cook correctly. What else can you do with it without the iPhone besides tell time? Pretty pricy for a what is a bland, featureless block of glass and metal most of the time. And for all but those with the smallest wrists, $400 is the entry price point. Frankly why would anyone get a smart watch without the biggest screen they could possibly support on their wrist?

Oh how fast people forget.. Did you forget that people said the iPad wasn't standalone because when it was released because it needed a PC or Mac to set it up and sync?! Back then many argued that it wasn't a standalone device.
  • Reply 102 of 114
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Blew my mind when I decided I wanted to replace the strap on the Breitling.  I had no idea how much these things cost until then!
    Same here. When my Baume & Mercier watch leather band broke I was shocked when I knew how much it was ($250). I guess it is what I get for buying ~$1800 for a watch.
  • Reply 103 of 114
    eightzero wrote: »
    Anyone see a price list on all the bands?

I'm a big believer in Apple Watch, and a Big Fan of Tim and company. But this is disappointing. Sure, research kit looks cool. 10 minutes of tech into? Supermodel saying how she loves half marathons in Africa wearing a "rubber" band? Comparatively, Tim's discussion of the pricing seemed dismissive; the metallurgy videos somehow showing the value. Yes, you worked hard. Yes, they're nice. Yes, they can do a lot. But...you need to show value to *me* not value to your shareholders (of which I am one.)

Sorry, but I expected better at this event. When iPad came out I was so excited; even the pricing seemed reasonable and competitive. I saw immediate value and got one on launch day.

Wish I was more excited right now. Been looking forward to this for 6 months. *sigh*

You encapsulated my feelings, too.

I was so excited for the original iPad and got it on Day One.

This? No. Cook was dismissive of the pricing, almost like he wanted to avoid mentioning it.
  • Reply 104 of 114
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Have you ever looked at how much watch straps cost for decent watches?  

Here's the strap I currently have on my Breitling - http://www.authenticwatches.com/breitling-24-20-brown-crocodile-deployment-straps.html#.VP30e0I6vTw

$595.

The steel bracelet on my Omega - http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-seamaster-bracelet-1502-824.html#.VP30tEI6vTw

$695.

The strap on my Baume & Mercier - http://www.authenticwatches.com/baume-et-mercier-strap-mx0037gt.html#.VP30-0I6vTw

$395.

Nice things cost money.  Lots of pricing structures price people out of buying one.  Ferrari's pricing structure prices me out of buying one.

That's life.

I feel bad saying it but man are those things ugly.

• Reply 105 of 114
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Prior to the Apple Watch with Milanese loop this has been the high water mark for watch design:

• Reply 106 of 114
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    being a wireless iPod, making Apple Pay payments from its own secure enclave and NFC transmitter, and fitness tracking is hardly "featureless",
    And you can't set any of that up without an iPhone. Oops.
  • Reply 107 of 114
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Who would want to pay $10,000 or more for an 18 karat gold watch that will be obsolete within a few years. I'll stick with a luxury Swiss brand such as Patek Philippe.
  • Reply 108 of 114
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

And you can't set any of that up without an iPhone. Oops.

Oups yourself Mr obtuse.

You couldn't really fully upgrade/setup/get things in and out of your Iphone easily without Itunes/a PC/A Mac before IOS 6 either (still need it for custom ring tones and some other functions), so what is your point?

That the Iphone needs to tow the PC around to work?

People were saying the Watch needed to be paired with the Phone when its used; that's not the case. That's been clear from the Apple web site for quite some time. Yet, people keep repeating that endlessly.

That it may need the Iphone. like the Iphone needed the PC, changes nothing at all.

• Reply 109 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumpcutter View Post

But the Apple Watch is a 1st generation product. I do not care about any Android products. What factual information do you need about Apple's arrogance. How about Apple still not bringing back most of the manufacturing to America. Oh yeah, The Mac Pro is made in Austin, TX. What else? As a matter of fact they are expanding to India and other 3rd world countries. Apple has provided untold number of jobs.  I believe you are partially correct. You see Wall Street loves Apple because of their actions. Oh yes, They have opened up many Apple Stores in the country and provided jobs. So what. The bulk of their work is in China. Why do you think Tim has been in China so often. I do not think it is just to improve the human condition. I do not know more than everyone else, but as a APPL owner myself I do read and do some research into my investments. Do me a favor... Let's just comment on their products.  

Really? After all that's been written, posted, discussed about what Apple over the years, and all the contribution to the U.S., and global economy you want to pretend that you've never read any of it and want me to regurgitate it?  Sorry... not your monkey.

Apple contributes both directly/indirectly to hundreds of thousands of jobs.  Whether it be providing better jobs to overseas workers like in China, or providing/inspiring hundreds of thousands of jobs in the software development sector.  Indirectly, its technologies help fuel countless other industries both in the US, and elsewhere.  The MacPro is a good start, but at least Apple tries.  The iPhone's Ax chips are made by Samsung at a fab located in Austin, Texas, Gorilla Glass from a US company.  Research/Support centers in the US, green-power for their data centers, and way more to list...

Name ONE other Apple competitor that even remotely comes close?  Sure Apple is not perfect.  No one is, but "Arrogant" because they're not bringing back enough manufacturing jobs to the US?  Please, cry me a river.  When manufacturing makes sense, I'll gladly take Apple's reasoning why it's not happening fast enough than the hissy-fit you're with it.

Do your own research after you let go of your agenda.

I do not pretend about anything that Apple does. You really want to discuss the way the Chinese worker has been treated. The BBC televised some documentaries about Apple's involvement with the Chinese workers. Only recently has Apple tried to "improve" things. You are correct that some parts of the iPhone are made in the US but it is still put together in China. Apple is arrogant not because of the lack of American manufacturing, but because they feel their way of doing things is the best. It is an attitude of perceived superiority. They do not make anything "new" but they tell everyone it is their innovation. Apple reminds me of the old BASF TV commercials... "We do not make the products you buy, we make the products you buy better." Talk to any salesperson at Apple, when anyone mentions the price being too high, their first answer is, you get what you pay for and Apple is the best. That is the attitude I am talking about.  Yes, because of the popularity of Apple's products, many accessory items for Apple products were created, i.e. iPhone covers and iPad keyboards & covers just to name a few. My main complaint with Apple is they overcharge for everything... like this Apple Watch... which is a good application of an old idea. Tim got this idea from Nike Fitbit bands and incorporated a watch into it. Not a new idea. Sorry if you disagree but ... that is the way I feel. By the way, what is your agenda sflocal. Are you the Apple police or what?

• Reply 110 of 114
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpcutter View Post

I do not pretend about anything that Apple does. You really want to discuss the way the Chinese worker has been treated. The BBC televised some documentaries about Apple's involvement with the Chinese workers. Only recently has Apple tried to "improve" things. You are correct that some parts of the iPhone are made in the US but it is still put together in China. Apple is arrogant not because of the lack of American manufacturing, but because they feel their way of doing things is the best. It is an attitude of perceived superiority. They do not make anything "new" but they tell everyone it is their innovation. Apple reminds me of the old BASF TV commercials... "We do not make the products you buy, we make the products you buy better." Talk to any salesperson at Apple, when anyone mentions the price being too high, their first answer is, you get what you pay for and Apple is the best. That is the attitude I am talking about.  Yes, because of the popularity of Apple's products, many accessory items for Apple products were created, i.e. iPhone covers and iPad keyboards & covers just to name a few. My main complaint with Apple is they overcharge for everything... like this Apple Watch... which is a good application of an old idea. Tim got this idea from Nike Fitbit bands and incorporated a watch into it. Not a new idea. Sorry if you disagree but ... that is the way I feel. By the way, what is your agenda sflocal. Are you the Apple police or what?

God you are tiresome.

• Reply 111 of 114
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Blew my mind when I decided I wanted to replace the strap on the Breitling.  I had no idea how much these things cost until then!

Join the club: I'm realizing getting my 1982 Submariner repair is going to run multiples of what I originally paid for the thing ($250 IIRC)... sigh. I'm expecting a thousand minimum. It's going an hour for every thirty minutes of real time so something broke.

• Reply 112 of 114
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

If you've no experience with their glass choice you've no idea whether it will hold up or not.

Glass does not hold up even the mineral glass they claim is durable, I have broken more watch crystal they I care to admit. I wear my watches all the time doing everything imaginable and a good hit to the crystal will crack them. I had my sapphire watches for over 10 yrs and have not broken a single one of them and the faces do not have single scratch on them.

So I do have experience with watches and glass crystals.
  • Reply 113 of 114
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Glass does not hold up even the mineral glass they claim is durable, I have broken more watch crystal they I care to admit. I wear my watches all the time doing everything imaginable and a good hit to the crystal will crack them. I had my sapphire watches for over 10 yrs and have not broken a single one of them and the faces do not have single scratch on them.

So I do have experience with watches and glass crystals.

Yet I specifically said the glass Apple will be using, you've no experience with that. The material does differ after all: look at Cornings array of "glass" products. OTOH your experience seems to go against the common wisdom that Sapphire cracks easily while being scratch resistant...

• Reply 114 of 114
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Yet I specifically said the glass Apple will be using, you've no experience with that. The material does differ after all: look at Cornings array of "glass" products. OTOH your experience seems to go against the common wisdom that Sapphire cracks easily while being scratch resistant...

Sapphire will break, especially if you hit the edge of it, an impact to the surface it is very durable, then again it also depend on it mounted. All the watch sapphire crystals I had are more of dome shape. Curve structure are strong than flat one. I had issue with sapphire on phone since the surface it large and it was going to be flat so if could be brittle and especially if you hit the edge the crystal would shatter unlike glass which would crack not necessarily shatter.