Steel Apple Watch collection pricing will range from $549 to $1099 depending on band selection

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
Apple's mid-range Apple Watch, featuring a stainless steel body, will start at $549 for the entry-level 38-millimeter size, while the larger 42-millimeter will start at $599.

Prices will max out at $1,049 for the 38-millimeter model, and $1,099 for the 48-millimeter version. Apple CEO Tim Cook made the pricing announcement during the company's "Spring Forward" event earlier Monday.

That slots the stainless steel Apple Watch in between the lower-cost Apple Watch Sport and the much more expensive Apple Watch Edition. The Sport model costs just $349 -- $399 for the space gray variant -- while the gold Edition starts at $10,000.

$549 will buy a 38-millimeter stainless steel model with a sport band. Stepping up to the classic buckle or milanese loop will move the needle to $649, while the modern buckle and milanese loop come in at $749.

The link bracelet will pop the price to $949, and $1,049 in space black. Add $50 to those prices for the 42-millimeter models.

Apple is using a custom stainless steel concoction for the Apple Watch. The company says its stainless steel is up to 80 percent harder thanks to a cold-forging process.

Design chief Jony Ive said during the event that Apple has "given a traditional material a new expression."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Damn...I'll skip the first generation.
  • Reply 2 of 114
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

The stainless-steel versions (my personal favourite) starting price is quite a lot higher than I was expecting, if I buy I'll have to go with the aluminium.

• Reply 3 of 114
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    1983 wrote: »
    The stainless-steel versions (my personal favourite) starting price is quite a lot higher than I was expecting, if I buy I'll have to go with the aluminium.

yep, they not interested in selling a lot that is for sure. all my watched today have sapphire crystals so the sport one will not hold up I know that much.

I guess I have to save up to get what I want
  • Reply 4 of 114
    I have decided not to buy it. It is very expensive. My wait turned into a disappointment
  • Reply 5 of 114
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Damn, me too. But I don't know if I can go with only those sport bands. :/

• Reply 6 of 114
    pjwilkinpjwilkin Posts: 74member

Way too expensive

and the price hike from Aluminium to Steel just plain sucks

If they'd started them at $199 then people would want them, as it is the new Pebble Time will be the one to get (10 days use)

• Reply 7 of 114
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Not sure why you think $550 starting point is a lot higher than your expectations, given that the entry level as $350.  Did you think going from aluminum and glass to stainless steel and sapphire would be $50 bucks?   That doesn't provide any tiering of products, when Apple was clear they were doing that.

• Reply 8 of 114
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

yep, they not interested in selling a lot that is for sure. all my watched today have sapphire crystals so the sport one will not hold up I know that much.

I guess I have to save up to get what I want

If you've no experience with their glass choice you've no idea whether it will hold up or not.

• Reply 9 of 114
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    Anyone see a price list on all the bands?

I'm a big believer in Apple Watch, and a Big Fan of Tim and company. But this is disappointing. Sure, research kit looks cool. 10 minutes of tech into? Supermodel saying how she loves half marathons in Africa wearing a "rubber" band? Comparatively, Tim's discussion of the pricing seemed dismissive; the metallurgy videos somehow showing the value. Yes, you worked hard. Yes, they're nice. Yes, they can do a lot. But...you need to show value to *me* not value to your shareholders (of which I am one.)

Sorry, but I expected better at this event. When iPad came out I was so excited; even the pricing seemed reasonable and competitive. I saw immediate value and got one on launch day.

Wish I was more excited right now. Been looking forward to this for 6 months. *sigh*
  • Reply 10 of 114
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

If this was a generation 2 or 3 device, I'd jump on it. For a first generation product at this price, I think I'm going to pass sadly.

• Reply 11 of 114
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

Way too expensive

If they'd started them at $199 then people would want them, as it is the new Pebble Time will be the one to get (10 days use)

Everyone is free to get one or not, or get a different product.  

Apple has never priced their products to be in the category of "make it cheap so people can just try it out & not use it if they don't like it".  Apple has always priced their products (especially new product categories) to be what people are willing to pay, not what they want to pay.

• Reply 12 of 114
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Pretty pleased with the price of this one.  I'd read some rumors that it was going to be ~$1500, which would have been far too much for me, but I'll happily spend up to $1000.

• Reply 13 of 114
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I think, considering this is a jewelry-grade product, that $600-$1100 is about right.

• Reply 14 of 114
    pjwilkin wrote: »
    Way too expensive

How is it too expensive? My Luminox I work out with daily doesn't even do a fraction of the things the Apple Watch does and cost me $400 at Costco. The Apple Watch is great value if you ask me.
  • Reply 15 of 114
    Quote:

Way too expensive

Since the Pebble doesn't offer the same functionality that's a false choice and I've watches that last infinitely longer than that mere 10 days btw....

OTOH if you've no desire for the functions it offers the Apple watch, at any price, is the wrong choice for you. 

• Reply 16 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If this was a generation 2 or 3 device, I'd jump on it. For a first generation product at this price, I think I'm going to pass sadly.

If this were a generation 2 or 3 device it would have been out for a couple of years by now.

• Reply 17 of 114
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    This pricing is a big surprise, I expected the steel watch to start above $700. You'll still pay close to $660 with tax (at least in CA) for the base steel watch, but its within reach of many buyers. The sport looks good too.

My question is how will it work to purchase separate bands? Apple didn't promote buying separate bands at all, other than what your watch came with. Of course it will be possible, but leaving out pricing for band options was pretty weak. They'll spend the next month on focus groups and massaging their marketing to get people ready for bands that'll cost up to $549, the same as the base watch. No word on internal memory either, its hard to imagine both the $349 sport and the $10k edition will get the same 8gb, or 16gb, or whatever it ends up being, but who knows, with the iPhone being required to run the watch, that'll be the main place for storage.
  • Reply 18 of 114
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolbolize View Post

I have decided not to buy it. It is very expensive. My wait turned into a disappointment

You must be new to the Internet to show such 'surprise,' since we've known the base price for months, and much of the full range prices have been pretty closely estimated for weeks.

• Reply 19 of 114
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

how can $549 be "quite a lot" higher than you were expecting? the sport is only 200 less!

• Reply 20 of 114
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Way too expensive

what are you talking about? its a 200 increase from sport to steel/sapphire/ceramic -- how can that suck or be more than you hoped?!