Apple Watch Edition to start at $10,000, availability will be limited

Comments

• Reply 201 of 255
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Just curious how such all you clarvoiant prognosticators are so sure that it's "soon-to-be-obsolete" with such concrete clarity?

I love it - nothing attracts experts like Apple! Too bad so few of them turn out to be experts in the long run.

Ask Sog35 he is our resident clairvoyant. 

• Reply 202 of 255
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    atlapple wrote: »
    It's funny the people that talk about Apple needing to make money by selling products at a high margin are now the ones saying the watch will still work in 20 years. 

What's absolutely hilarious is that people think a company as detail oriented haven't already thought about these issues.

Simply amazing, really. But hey, what would the Internet be without baseless speculation to the absurd. For the practical and obvious explanations - that's boring. Nothing beats a great consipricy theory or manufactured scandal, no?

Whew - I've been away from these forums for too long. I forgot just how hilarous people get around Apple launches. You would think people would be embarrased at this point about betting against them - maybe after another 20 years? Ha - I doubt it. And the beat goes on....
  • Reply 203 of 255
    hill60 wrote: »
    I'm sure Apple will take advantage of the Swiss watch model, drop your watch in for service every few years and pocket a a few hundred in fees.

Undoubtedly. It's clear Apple did their homework and such a model is no doubt not lost on them.

How quickly people forget (or simply didn't catch) from the original announcement the comonentized nature of the guts that just screams modular and easily replaceble?

I mean come on, even in the cheapest one the internal electronics and battery are the cheapest part of the watch. The case is probably the most expensive item simply from manufacturing/milling costs, then the screen. I'll bet the entire internal electornics/battery module is less than 1/3 the cost of the parts on the cheapest one - it only gets better on the more expensive ones.
    One thing they can definitely improve is the turn around time, getting a Swiss watch serviced can take months.

Make an appointment at an Apple Store and I'll wager they upgrade or repair it while you wait. If your screen is whacked out, youll get a new chassies. They did it with the iPod, they have given me new cases on my MacBook's when I have taken them in for other issues and they do it all the time with iPhones.

That people don't think they already have a plan for this is beyond hilarious.
  • Reply 204 of 255
    I know it's valuable. I work for IBM and have used a workstation W series laptop for a very long time. 

Ha - that you would actually defend an analog video signal today just re-enforces my original point rather nicely. Thanks.
  • Reply 205 of 255
    Quote:

Ha - that you would actually defend an analog video signal today just re-enforces my original point rather nicely. Thanks.

Actually I've used displayport for some time. And I'm not sure how this has anything to do with a watch that can't do anything without the use of another device. I think you should buy two gold special editions. Have at it.

• Reply 206 of 255
    Quote:

What's absolutely hilarious is that people think a company as detail oriented haven't already thought about these issues.

Simply amazing, really. But hey, what would the Internet be without baseless speculation to the absurd. For the practical and obvious explanations - that's boring. Nothing beats a great consipricy theory or manufactured scandal, no?

Whew - I've been away from these forums for too long. I forgot just how hilarous people get around Apple launches. You would think people would be embarrased at this point about betting against them - maybe after another 20 years? Ha - I doubt it. And the beat goes on....

Lets remember a few things when you are at the top there is only one place to go. Microsoft found that out years ago. Second Apple spent several decades having 2% of the market. I doubt you have been away from the forums, just under another name. It's okay.

• Reply 207 of 255
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Then why didn't they announce the plan? I can't think of a single good reason not to. It certainly would've killed almost all of the complaints in this thread, and a lot of what's going on in the more professional review press today. 

• Reply 208 of 255
    arlor wrote: »
    Then why didn't they announce the plan? I can't think of a single good reason not to.

Because they don't have to? At the end of the day it won't matter one bit? Because watching the hystaria is fun and that the general buzz while annoying is also useful for tying up tech news bandwidth? Because making people look silly once the other shoe drops has to be fun on some level?

I can think of lots of reasons!
    It certainly would've killed almost all of the complaints in this thread, and a lot of what's going on in the more professional review press today. 

Ha - it's precious that you think that it would have cut down the complaints or tamed the "professional" press.

Or, once again, that it matters in the least. If the press was actually able to exercise any influance that would affect Apple in any way there is no way they would be as popular as they are today. Which is in part why they attack them so viciously. Apple has never "played ball" - what's really nice about where they are today is it's even more obvious now than it ever has been at how irrelevant geeks opinions on Apple are or have ever been.

Success is indeed the best revenge :)
  • Reply 209 of 255
    docno42 wrote: »

Then why didn't they announce the plan? I can't think of a single good reason not to. It certainly would've killed almost all of the complaints in this thread, and a lot of what's going on in the more professional review press today. 

Indeed.

So many unanswered questions after this keynote. Battery life? How long to charge? Upgrades? Trade ins? No demo on the wrist. No demo of the screen turning on automatically when raised. I bet it will come on accidentally all the time. Why the hell haven't we seen such a basic usability feature? We've had two frigging keynotes!

Kevin's demos were pants, as usual. He's so unfocused. He skates over things, and doesn't make things clear. I think someone advised him not to go into as much detail as in the first keynote, so he didn't. But in doing so, he forgot to treat us as babies, which we needed! Remember the first iPhone keynote? Jobs carefully guided us through such basic things! The scrolling! I remember the ooh from the crowd for that! Mundane now, of course. But we needed that ultra-basic demonstration of the basics from Kevin. And Jobs used the iPhone grasped in his hand in anger, like we do, not delicately perched on a shop floor plinth.

Truly the worst keynote I've seen from Apple. That interview with the model; what a waste of time. It told us nothing.

Pish and tosh.
  • Reply 210 of 255
    Quote:

Because they don't have to? At the end of the day it won't matter one bit? Because watching the hystaria is fun and that the general buzz while annoying is also useful for tying up tech news bandwidth? Because making people look silly once the other shoe drops has to be fun on some level?

I can think of lots of reasons!

Ha - it's precious that you think that it would have cut down the complaints or tamed the "professional" press.

Or, once again, that it matters in the least. If the press was actually able to exercise any influance that would affect Apple in any way there is no way they would be as popular as they are today. Which is in part why they attack them so viciously. Apple has never "played ball" - what's really nice about where they are today is it's even more obvious now than it ever has been at how irrelevant geeks opinions on Apple are or have ever been.

Success is indeed the best revenge image

I would just like to point out that your first paragraph contained four statements yet you ended each sentence with a ?. 

• Reply 211 of 255
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Undoubtedly. It's clear Apple did their homework and such a model is no doubt not lost on them.

How quickly people forget (or simply didn't catch) from the original nature the comonentized nature of the guts that just screams modular and easily replaceble?

I mean come on, even in the cheapest one the internal electronics and battery are the cheapest part of the watch. The case is probably the most expensive item simply from manufacturing/milling costs, then the screen. I'll bet the entire internal electornics/battery module is less than 1/3 the cost of the parts on the cheapest one - it only gets better on the more expensive ones.

Make an appointment at an Apple Store and I'll wager they upgrade or repair it while you wait. If your screen is whacked out, youll get a new chassies. They did it with the iPod, they have given me new cases on my MacBook's when I have taken them in for other issues and they do it all the time with iPhones.

So the current design is the one they're sticking with forever? Apple is constantly changing design one way or another, so modular goes out the window.
  • Reply 212 of 255
    Lets remember a few things when you are at the top there is only one place to go.

Further up?

How many years have we been hit over the head that Apple has a small market share compared wth their competitors? The market is hardly saturated for Apple.

Or is that only a valid argument when marketshare is somehow bad for Apple and Apple only?
    Microsoft found that out years ago.

lol - Microsoft coasted on past success - it was obvious they were doomed to mediocraty when they doubled down on Windows Everywhere under Ballmer; ridiculing the iPhone and iPad for the very things that made them that much more compelling than Windows mobile. Mainly that iOS devices are purpose built devices that prioritized end user experience over blind adherence to stuffing an interface that was successful for reasons they obviously didn't understand on devices ill suited for it. It didn't work for the decade previous in all their ill fated tablet and phone attemps - why did they think scattering a few tiles on top would make it any more palitable?
    Second Apple spent several decades having 2% of the market.

Exactly. And despite all the assuarnces that they would cease to exist, they are still here. And now with 20% or so they are stil somehow beligured and their days are still numberd. Absolutely amazing.
    I doubt you have been away from the forums, just under another name. It's okay.

Doubt all you want, matters not. Just like, once again, all the naysaying will matter not.

I'll see you back here in a year and we'll compare notes on who's thougts were more accurate. Should be fun. For me, anyway :)
  • Reply 213 of 255
    I would just like to point out that your first paragraph contained four statements yet you ended each sentence with a ?. 

For a reason. That's twice you've either missed out of ignorance or chose to delibertly ignore what I would consider rudementary points. Have fun with the rest of thread.
  • Reply 214 of 255
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So the current design is the one they're sticking with forever? Apple is constantly changing design one way or another, so modular goes out the window.

Did you really just type those two sentances - and then leave them there like that?

Let's step back an take a deep breath and look at this logically.

The current size is goverend predominantly by.... battery technology!

That should be obvious. If not, I'll state it again - it is. Apple would not be making it that thick unless the absolutely had to. I mean they make freaking desktop computers (iMac's) rediculously thin for no other reason than they can. Or think they should. But I digress...

The next constraint is the size of the screen. Which you can't make much smaller or it can't be read or controls touched with much meaning. The digial crown really helps with the the small screen, but still I don't think anything smalller than the smaller of the two would be very usable so those dimensions are probably permanently fixed unless they change to round or some other shape. Which will stil be the same rough sufrace area.

So on the thickness, since it's driven by battery tech, to change thickness there is going to have to be a SUBSTANTIAL change in battery technology. We've been waiting for that shoe to drop for some time now, but if you have done any reading into battery chemestry we are pretty much at the extremes of what is possible with chemical batteries - some entirely new technology is going to have to debut such as carbon nanotube capacitors - but making such new tech viable for mass production is time consuming. It doesn't happen overnight.

So back to "forever" - that's a long time. Thankfully we don't have to worry about the literal forever but just "practical" forevers - and in electronics 10 years is a long time. Based on trends and what we know, expecting the Apple watch to halve in thickness is probably very agressive. Battery is the key constraint and Apple, as I stated before, already probabl knows more about batteries in electronic devices than anyone else on the planet. The Apple watch is the distillation of all they know from a decade of hard won experience.

In other words, it's unlikely there is more blood to squeeze from that stone.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't expect to be. It doesn't make sense. If they had better tech, they would be deploying it - it doesn't make you money on the shelf!

So yes, out of all the first generation Apple products, this is probably the safest. Probably because in many way's it's not really a first generation product, but the third major iOS hardware device - just a new form factor. It's no accident that we got details on the guts being in one self-contained module in the first announcement.

So there it is. What I consider some reasonable and pretty safe assumptions. At this point to get anything better we will have to just come back after launch and see who was more right. The chicken littles that the sky is once again falling for Apple and only Apple, or that a detailed and customer experienced focus company might have thought of all of this long before we did :p
  • Reply 215 of 255
    mstone wrote: »
    So how long before the pass new laws that you can't use one while driving?

If only passing laws was enough to stop behavior...

I ride a commuter bus on the rare days I have to venture into the office I no longer look out the windows at drivers in cars in the other lanes - 50%-80% are f$@!&* with some phone or other device in their hand as it is. Frankly I'm surprised there aren't far more accidents than we already have.

People are beyond stupid when it comes to portable electronics in vehicles. Makes me glad I no longer commute in a car.

At least with a watch your likely to have your hand high on the wheel and your gaze shouldn't be diverted as far away from the road as with a phone. And at least you can keep one hand on the wheel more easily than using one hand to hold the pone and another to use the device - as I see when I do occasionally forget myself and glance out the window of the aformentioned bus :p
  • Reply 216 of 255

Did you really just type those two sentances - and then leave them there like that?

Let's step back an take a deep breath and look at this logically.

The current size is goverend predominantly by.... battery technology!

That should be obvious. If not, I'll state it again - it is. Apple would not be making it that thick unless the absolutely had to. I mean they make freaking desktop computers (iMac's) rediculously thin for no other reason than they can. Or think they should. But I digress...

The next constraint is the size of the screen. Which you can't make much smaller or it can't be read or controls touched with much meaning. The digial crown really helps with the the small screen, but still I don't think anything smalller than the smaller of the two would be very usable so those dimensions are probably permanently fixed unless they change to round or some other shape. Which will stil be the same rough sufrace area.

So on the thickness, since it's driven by battery tech, to change thickness there is going to have to be a SUBSTANTIAL change in battery technology. We've been waiting for that shoe to drop for some time now, but if you have done any reading into battery chemestry we are pretty much at the extremes of what is possible with chemical batteries - some entirely new technology is going to have to debut such as carbon nanotube capacitors - but making such new tech viable for mass production is time consuming. It doesn't happen overnight.

So back to "forever" - that's a long time. Thankfully we don't have to worry about the literal forever but just "practical" forevers - and in electronics 10 years is a long time. Based on trends and what we know, expecting the Apple watch to halve in thickness is probably very agressive. Battery is the key constraint and Apple, as I stated before, already probabl knows more about batteries in electronic devices than anyone else on the planet. The Apple watch is the distillation of all they know from a decade of hard won experience.

In other words, it's unlikely there is more blood to squeeze from that stone.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't expect to be. It doesn't make sense. If they had better tech, they would be deploying it - it doesn't make you money on the shelf!

So yes, out of all the first generation Apple products, this is probably the safest. Probably because in many way's it's not really a first generation product, but the third major iOS hardware device - just a new form factor. It's no accident that we got details on the guts being in one self-contained module in the first announcement.

So there it is. What I consider some reasonable and pretty safe assumptions. At this point to get anything better we will have to just come back after launch and see who was more right. The chicken littles that the sky is once again falling for Apple and only Apple, or that a detailed and customer experienced focus company might have thought of all of this long before we did :p

Maybe they go bigger like the iPhone, or smaller like the iPad. Everything has been the 'right' until it wasn't. Apple has changed a lot of what they 'figured' out.
  • Reply 217 of 255
    Do you tink that Apple is going to keep the internals up to date so that the watch remains useful on a daily basis

Well, the guts are obviously designed to be exchanged easily. Almost as if someone planned for them to need to be updated independantly of the exterior shell.

And what's with this "daily" crap? It's mostly a fancy external display for your iPhone. The majority of the smarts is in the phone it's tethered to, as many people have gleefully pointed out as if that was a bad thing.

Sigh, the moe things change, the more they stay they same it appears. Not sure why I hoped these forums would have evolved at least a little but another Apple product launch and the same, myopic arguments once again trotted out as if they were insightful.
  • Reply 218 of 255
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Maybe they go bigger like the iPhone, or smaller like the iPad.

For a watch?!? The thing that you strap to your wrist (there's the practical constraint on the largest dimension) and has to be useable (practical constraint on the smallest it can be).
    Everything has been the 'right' until it wasn't. Apple has changed a lot of what they 'figured' out.

Yup. Completely missed my point about the watch being the distillation of all of that experience. Way to gloss over that and pretend the Watch is something new. Or that there is more potential variability than there really is because it's conventient for your "points". Good luck with that. As I said, let's see who's closer a year and then five years from now.

EDIT: lol - at least you are living up to your self proclamed Naysayer Extraordinaire. Well trolled. Well trolled indeed.
  • Reply 219 of 255
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Celebrity associations matter when it comes to brands and products. They can enhance and they can detract. Some of the first to be flaunting the gold version on their wrists may well be the Kardashians, or Paris Hilton and her younger brother Conrad - who proclaims loudly that he doesn't like to be on the same airplane as "peasants." There is a hazard when a product ceases being aspirational and instead becomes regarded as a symbol of class division and a vulgar display of wealth.

• Reply 220 of 255
    For a watch?!? The thing that you strap to your wrist (there's the practical constraint on the largest dimension) and has to be useable (practical constraint on the smallest it can be).

Yup. Completely missed my point about the watch being the distillation of all of that experience. Way to gloss over that and pretend the Watch is something new. Or that there is more potential variability than there really is because it's conventient for your "points". Good luck with that. As I said, let's see who's closer a year and then five years from now.

EDIT: lol - at least you are living up to your self proclamed Naysayer Extraordinaire. Well trolled. Well trolled indeed.

Were there not tablets and and smartphones before their respective iDevice was made? Did Apple follow that model? No. Is every single wrist worn device the same size? No. Let me guess, we'd need to sandpaper our fingers if the Watch got smaller. Sound familiar?

Did you think that the iPhone would have its current screen size back in 2007? Of course not. Yes Apple took design cues from current watches, but who's to say that can never change?