Choosing your Apple Watch: Case and band combinations demystified

Comments

• Reply 21 of 133
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Clearly I am waiting until the Apple Watch doesn't need the iPhone in order to fully operate. When that happens, I will dump my iPhone and buy the Apple Watch. 

When that happens, with the 5.5" screen of the 6 Plus, it won't be titled the Apple Watch, it will be called the Apple Wrist Guard. Oooh, I hope they have one in bronze: very Celtic....

No need to wait though. Just do a wrap of some 3M Shipping tape over your 6 or 6 Plus and have at it. It will fit quite nicely along the inner side of your forearm. Coupled with some Outdoor Tech BT earpieces and you're golden.

• Reply 22 of 133
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Wouldn't it be easier to isolate and list the bands that [U]won't[/U] offered as separate sales item to help prevent purchasing the wrong band for those that want a separate strap.

[SIZE=5]38mm[/SIZE]
    [LIST]
    [*] Link bracelet (space black)
    [*] Sport band (black/gold)
    [*] Sport band (white/gold)
    [*] Modern buckle (rose grey/gold)
    [*] Modern buckle (bright red/gold)
    [/LIST]

[SIZE=5]42mm[/SIZE]
    [LIST]
    [*] Link bracelet (space black)
    [*] Sport band (black/gold)
    [*] Sport band (white/gold)
    [*] Classic buckle (black/gold)
    [*] Classic buckle (midnight blue/gold)
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 23 of 133
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Quote:

Cool tech or not, Apple products should be fully operable on their own and not require another piece of "cool tech" to run. Cool tech doesn't raise my share price but forward thinking and ingenuity does and unfortunately this product is a dud. The market movers have spoken as well with AAPL down almost 2% today. 

First, Apple is down today with the market.  Or hadn't you noticed that the entire market is down?

Second, you're thinking of this all wrong.  People carry their phones with them, or are within a few meters of their phones virtually all the time.  So for the majority of the iPhone carrying populace its not an issue having your iPhone nearby.  Better that Apple leverages this fact to utilize the space within a small device like a watch body to provide other functions than to duplicate GPS, 4G LTE (you can be sure Verizon would charge for a separate data plan, BTW), etc.  

Now, the irony is... runners and others involved in sports, for which the mass-appeal Sport edition is partially targeted, are the ones who would most benefit from built-in GPS and have the best stance from which to complain.  Bit here I'll just say that it's a V1 issue; stuffing energy-sucking GPS capability into the watch is going to have to wait for the energy requirements to drop or battery tech to advance, or some combination of the two.  Like a couple other smart watch makers, Apple could have stuffed it in there, but such are the decisions we trust Apple to make in its efforts to create the best balance.  They've done a pretty good job re-inventing other markets up to now, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt in the smart watch market.  Time and sales volumes will speak louder than a down day in the market that cannot be attributed to AAPL.

• Reply 24 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

First, Apple is down today with the market.  Or hadn't you noticed that the entire market is down?

Second, you're thinking of this all wrong.  People carry their phones with them, or are within a few meters of their phones virtually all the time.  So for the majority of the iPhone carrying populace its not an issue having your iPhone nearby.  Better than Apple leverages this fact to utilize the space within a small device like a watch body to provide other functions than to duplicate GPS, 4G LTE (you can be sure Verizon would charge for a separate data plan, BTW), etc.  

Now, the irony is... runners and others involved in sports, for which the mass-appeal Sport edition is partially targeted, are the ones who would most benefit from built-in GPS and have the best stance from which to complain.  Bit here I'll just say that it's a V1 issue; stuffing energy-sucking GPS capability into the watch is going to have to wait for the energy requirements to drop or battery tech to advance, or some combination of the two.  Like a couple other smart watch makers, Apple could have stuffed it in there, but such are the decisions we trust Apple to make in its efforts to create the best balance.  They've done a pretty good job re-inventing other markets up to now, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt in the smart watch market.  Time and sales volumes will speak louder than a down day in the market that cannot be attributed to AAPL.

I will wait for the iteration that has the GPS built in.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So we have a deal?

15 million in first 12 months and you ban yourself for 1 month.  If not I ban myself.

YES or NO?

I will ban myself forever if that is the case. I'd happily rid myself of the abrasive pleasure of talking to Apple Fan Boys. I have been a stock holder since 2005 and the company's ethos is what I put my money in. I don't feel they have the target market for the Watch sussed out completely but I will happily be proved wrong by facts/figures...And swim in my money. 

• Reply 25 of 133
    sog35 wrote: »

How many people will 
    I will happily ban myself forever if apple sells 15 million units. I don't care at all about commenting on this board though I've been a member since 2008. AAPL has been the lynch pin of my portfolio since 2005 and I'm quite happy to never speak again on this board if this Watch is a success. I will just swim in my money. 

So we have a deal?

15 million in first 12 months and you ban yourself for 1 month.  If not I ban myself.

YES or NO?

YES to your ban.

NO to his ban.

Deal.
  • Reply 26 of 133
    Quote:

Apple selling 15 million watches won't rally move the needle much.  Till 2016 its all about iPhone sales.

So you might get banned and your stock not go up.

I'm sure the stock will go up but bring the ban on. Seriously. Bring it on. 

• Reply 27 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

"The Sport collection can be purchased with any color sport band ($349 for 38 millimeters, $399 for 42 millimeters), and two different band sizes will be included in the box."

Well...the apple store current contradicts this. There are "10 (sport) models available." 38mm and 42mm versions 4 silver cases with white, blue, green and pink bands. A space grey (38 and 42) with black band.

Perhaps this will be updated. Otherwise...no black band on the silver case for purchase together. And only black band on the space grey.

Of course, you could buy a second (set of) sport bands of any color for $49.

How does what you quoted from the Apple Store contradict the contention that two different band sizes will be included in the box?  I think you're conflating the watch body size with the watch band lengths.  What I'm reading from this article is that a 38mm Sport Watch, in whichever band color you choose, will come with two of that color band in the box.  Not one that fits 42mm watch body and another that fits the 38mm watch body.  But two that fit the 38mm watch body, one a bit longer than the other for larger wrists.

In fact, the What's in the Box section for each Sport Watch clearly indicates "Two bands."

The opportunity I see from this is that you might offer for sale on eBay or elsewhere your extra band; the one that is either too big or too small for your wrist.  Or offer it in exchange for another color that fits your wrist.  Perhaps an enterprising software developer might even create an app to enable such exchanges of the extra bands.   

Unless the two bands are the same size, with one being simply an extra band to act as a replacement if the one you are using gets damaged or worn.  In which case, band color swapping would go into high gear immediately.

• Reply 28 of 133
    Quote:

Apple selling 15 million watches won't really move the needle much.  Till 2016 its all about iPhone sales.

So you might get banned and your stock not go up.

Indeed, it has a future but at the moment, hype aside, it's a hobby project for Apple even though it's scale would blow a lot of corporations into nirvana.

• Reply 29 of 133
    Quote:

Clearly I am waiting until the Apple Watch doesn't need the iPhone in order to fully operate. When that happens, I will dump my iPhone and buy the Apple Watch. 

That day will come.  At some point, a version of the Watch (version 3, 4, 5?) will incorporate GPS and cellular, and will have sufficient memory to hold full apps, data, media, such that the watch will be autonomous.  It'll reach out and detect nearby displays, public displays that will be there for anyone to project to, wirelessly beam your content to a screen in front of you and let you interact with gestures in the air (to avoid passing germs from one user to the next).  In the meantime, it's an iPhone accessory that many people will find incredibly useful, and a platform on which that grand future can begin to be imagined. 

• Reply 30 of 133

That day will come.  At some point, a version of the Watch (version 3, 4, 5?) will incorporate GPS and cellular, and will have sufficient memory to hold full apps, data, media, such that the watch will be autonomous.  It'll reach out and detect nearby displays, public display that will be there for anyone to project to, beam your content to a screen in front of you and let you interact with it using touch or gestures in the air (to avoid passing germs form one use to the next).  In the meantime, its an iPhone accessory that many people will find incredibly useful, and a platform on which that grand future can begin to be imagined. 

That's what I thought, too, but how would you type on this virtual display? Maybe you'll be able to type in mid-air.

The keyboard is tricky to replace with anything else, short of a direct connection to our brains. As such, I don't see a change to our current tech devices for a very long time.
  • Reply 31 of 133
    Quote:

That day will come.  At some point, a version of the Watch (version 3, 4, 5?) will incorporate GPS and cellular, and will have sufficient memory to hold full apps, data, media, such that the watch will be autonomous.  It'll reach out and detect nearby displays, public display that will be there for anyone to project to, beam your content to a screen in front of you and let you interact with it using touch or gestures in the air (to avoid passing germs form one use to the next).  In the meantime, its an iPhone accessory that many people will find incredibly useful, and a platform on which that grand future can begin to be imagined. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That's what I thought, too, but how would you type on this virtual display? Maybe you'll be able to type in mid-air.

The keyboard is tricky to replace with anything else, short of a direct connection to our brains. As such, I don't see a change to our current tech devices for a very long time.

I have no doubt that Apple, with their soon to be trillion dollar market cap, will be able to figure it all out. I think that an Apple Watch has amazing prospects but this iteration seems to be half baked and hardly worth the fan fare. Of course my opinion is subject to change with actual interaction with the product but I have done my research and I'm less interested in Italian artisan tanneries making some watch band than I am in Apple creating the next big thing and as it stands now, this is not it. Samsung has a moderately handsome watch, Moto (whatever it is called) has one too, and these watches do similar things to the Apple Watch. Where is the ingenuity? Where is the typing in midair shit? COME ON PEOPLE. I've been drinking the Apple Kool-Aid for a long ass time but I'm punch drunk with this clunker...

• Reply 32 of 133
    Quote:

The keyboard? There was actually a slight reference to that dilemma in the presentation: speech to text being used to answer emails and text messages via the watch.

OTOH I don't see any way around the tiny display other than a BIGGER display on a wrist guard...

• Reply 33 of 133
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

How does what you quoted from the Apple Store contradict the contention that two different band sizes will be included in the box?  I think you're conflating the watch body size with the watch band lengths.  What I'm reading from this article is that a 38mm Sport Watch, in whichever band color you choose, will come with two of that color band in the box.  Not one that fits 42mm watch body and another that fits the 38mm watch body.  But two that fit the 38mm watch body, one a bit longer than the other for larger wrists.

In fact, the What's in the Box section for each Sport Watch clearly indicates "Two bands."

The opportunity I see from this is that you might offer for sale on eBay or elsewhere your extra band; the one that is either too big or too small for your wrist.  Or offer it in exchange for another color that fits your wrist.  Perhaps an enterprising software developer might even create an app to enable such exchanges of the extra bands.   

Unless the two bands are the same size, with one being simply an extra band to act as a replacement if the one you are using gets damaged or worn.  In which case, band color swapping would go into high gear immediately.

Wasn't talking about the number of bands. I was pointing out the offered combinations of cases and colors on the store contract the AI assertion that you can mix and match 5 colors, 2 sizes, and 2 case finishes (20 total). I included the entire sentence in the cite.

• Reply 34 of 133
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Avoid the white one at all costs, unless you wish to be seen as incurably naff.

I believe that Tim Cook was sporting an all white Apple Watch yesterday at the event.

White is just for girls or color-blind old men.  Why would Cook be wearing that?  You must be mistaken!

• Reply 35 of 133
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It would have been less confusing if, instead of calling them Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch, and Apple Watch Edition, they'd just called them Apple Watch Aluminum, Apple Watch Steel, and Apple Watch Gold. Those extra names just add more cognitive elements to the mix without adding any additional information.

• Reply 36 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It would have been less confusing if, instead of calling them Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch, and Apple Watch Edition, they'd just called them Apple Watch Aluminum, Apple Watch Steel, and Apple Watch Gold. Those extra names just add more cognitive elements to the mix without adding any additional information.

Agreed and the term "Sport" has overlain expectations (a dive watch's waterproof ness for example) that don't actually fit with the features.

Watch "Edition" and Watch "Blank" don't add anything, and Watch "Sport" adds confusion.

• Reply 37 of 133
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Two things that really get to me....

For the price of just the steel link bracelet (no watch) at 400-500 usd one can buy an iPad Air 2!!!

The 10,000-20,000 usd Apple Watch... The margins on that beast! The rich are going to buy that only for the tech to be out of date within a year or two... At the end of the day this is still a CE device and CE devices go out of date very fast.

There was a quote Steve Jobs made about technology.

"We were having dinner one day, in the middle of the hardest part of making 'Toy Story', and he started looking off again in the distance and he said: You know John, when we make the computers at Apple. He said the lifespan of that computer is what, 3 years? He said in 5 years it's a door stop. Ya know, that's how technology goes. But he said 'if you do your job right what you create and what Pixar creates can last forever.'
    "

Apple has gone next level with their pricing..
  • Reply 38 of 133
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Man, sure would be nice to get a Space Gray Link, and then buy a Space Gray Sport for it!!
  • Reply 39 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Man, sure would be nice to get a Space Gray Link, and then buy a Space Gray Sport for it!!

Aftermarkets are going to go nuts with these. I like the look of the Gray Aluminum as well.

• Reply 40 of 133
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rezwits wrote: »

You mean the black aluminum casing with the black SS link band? Would the colour and sheen match?