Choosing your Apple Watch: Case and band combinations demystified

Comments

• Reply 81 of 133
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Not possible, the Apple Watch has a unique locking mechanism woven into the band that attaches the band to the case.

So the Apple Watch is not compatible with aftermarket bands.

Yet. Wait for it, patents be damned.

• Reply 82 of 133
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Nilay Patel is a loudmouthed chump.

But is he someone that typically can't figure out tech or pooh pooh's Apple? I don't recall that to be the case.
  • Reply 83 of 133
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

If Apple were a cute woman, I would kiss her.

I can get a Sport, play golf, do Yoga, etc., and buy a Milanese Loop to go with my regular day-to-day.  This is PERFECT.  Thank you Apple.

Yep, those swappable bands are great.

• Reply 84 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Not possible, the Apple Watch has a unique locking mechanism woven into the band that attaches the band to the case.

So the Apple Watch is not compatible with aftermarket bands.

Until Apple licenses the aftermarket.... There's a ton of accessories Apple licenses rather than bother with. This may be one of them. And even a knockoff band won't threaten to burn your house down like knockoff charger will so licensing might appear to be the better choice than simply watching from the sidelines.

• Reply 85 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Speaking of the interface, there are reports from many pro-Apple tech bloggers that were in attendance on Monday saying that it's not very intuitive to use.

That's typically the one thing about an Apple product you don't expect to hear.

You know, I did see some videos on WatchAware that seemed to indicate this. There was a lot of failed swiping (and fairly, a lot of people were being awfully ham-handed.)

I've come to the conclusion that obviousness is the antithesis of personal. I expect something of a learning curve. Contrary to Kevin Lynch's alacrity (he designed the stuff, so it is obvious to him) I think people struggle with trying to do unfamiliar things quickly. Can't tell you how many times I've missed a quick snapshot on my iPhone simple because I don't associate the volume buttons with the camera; or use the slide tray to get to it. I think of taking a photo through an app. 

For fun reading, have a look at the book "Psychology of Everyday Things." Betcha Jony's copy on his bookcase is worn out.

• Reply 86 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Until Apple licenses the aftermarket.... There's a ton of accessories Apple licenses rather than bother with. This may be one of them. And even a knockoff band won't threaten to burn your house down like knockoff charger will so licensing might appear to be the better choice than simply watching from the sidelines.

How Apple deals with this issue will be interesting. There are many products, as you rightly point out, that Apple has no interest in or making. Cases, etc. But...it looks to me like bands are not only an integral part of the product, but a significant source of revenue. The metal bands surely are expensive to make, and they look very nice. But a simple leather strap at $100+? Uh...no.

Perhaps Apple will turn the other cheek. You can get a steel watch with an inexpensive sport band (a claimed $49 value) so that is clearly Apple's bottom line: they always get to sell you at least a $49 band that likely costs pennies to manufacture.

• Reply 87 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

How Apple deals with this issue will be interesting. There are many products, as you rightly point out, that Apple has no interest in or making. Cases, etc. But...it looks to me like bands are not only an integral part of the product, but a significant source of revenue. The metal bands surely are expensive to make, and they look very nice. But a simple leather strap at $100+? Uh...no.

Perhaps Apple will turn the other cheek. You can get a steel watch with an inexpensive sport band (a claimed $49 value) so that is clearly Apple's bottom line: they always get to sell you at least a $49 band that likely costs pennies to manufacture.

I was tempted to look at the array of bands and their elegant selection as an indicator Apple would want to control that integral experience space, but then I backed off to consider iPhone cases which are arguably very integral to many iPhone users experience and yet Apple has largely ceded that sector to others...

Yes, will be interesting to see whether they go all "in house control freak" or some more relaxed version. Given the attachment that is said to be proprietary they may have more obvious control than they would ever have with cases. More like dongles and chargers in that way perhaps...

• Reply 88 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

But is he someone that typically can't figure out tech or pooh pooh's Apple? I don't recall that to be the case.

I do know that he was a dick during the Verge's live blog of the event. Every post was a snarky comment about the watch. 

• Reply 89 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidCM View Post

Your article is not entirely correct. The Apple Watch with Space Black Stainless Steel Case is not as customizable as the Apple Watch Stainless Steel. The 42 mm Classic Buckle as well as the Milanese Loop that you could additionally buy have a stainless steel finish and won't match the Space Black, especially where you put the casing and band together. This means that only the Leather Loop and Sport Band would work with the Space Black version of the Apple Watch.

Just because (in your opinion) the milanese loop and classic buckle don't look as good on the black case, doesn't mean that it is any less customizable. Until you see these bands on this watch in-person, it is hard to make that claim. I intend on getting the space grey sport and pairing it with the milanese loop and classic buckle.

• Reply 90 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

Just because (in your opinion) the milanese loop and classic buckle don't look as good on the black case, doesn't mean that it is any less customizable. Until you see these bands on this watch in-person, it is hard to make that claim. I intend on getting the space grey sport and pairing it with the milanese loop and classic buckle.

I don't say that it's not possible, but you would definitely combine two different materials or in the case of the "classic" stainless steel and the stainless steel in space black two different color ways.

• Reply 91 of 133
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Yes, will be interesting to see whether they go all "in house control freak" or some more relaxed version. Given the attachment that is said to be proprietary they may have more obvious control than they would ever have with cases. 

Given how they've already shut down one start up that attempted to raise funds for an "adapter" that would allow the watch to be used with any band, Apple is at least for the moment not interested in sharing this business. They may also just be waiting to issue licenses, which may exert significantly more quality control than previous contracts. 

However, the bands themselves are exquisitely crafter, and arguably introduce the only "style" into the watch, which is otherwise a plain and featureless square metal block with a flat black glass top, however beautifully finished. And this is how most people will see the watch on your wrist most of the time, as the display is off. So the bands provide the true fashion, and "jewelry" aspects to the watch. Further, the design is unlikely to radically change. Oh, it may get slightly slimmer, more powerful, better features, etc., but the basic design seems unlikely to change considering the centerpiece of it is not the case, but the screen. This leads me to believe that even if Apple updates the watch every year, most people will hang onto their original one until Apple no longer supports it (assuming no super compelling tech reason to upgrade). If that is the case, then the only way Apple will make money off of existing customers is to sell them watch bands. Release a new set of "must have" watch bands every year with the new models, and Apple can earn more than selling a new watch. And then let's say the tech lasts longer than a typical 5-year window, then comes the day when Apple changes the way the watch bands connect forcing an upgrade to a new model to get the new bands. But this only works if Apple is the sole seller of the bands, or makes very lucrative licensing agreements over which they have strict control. 

Personally, though many "fans" here suggest otherwise, I suspect substantial increases in battery life alone will compel many people to upgrade as soon as they can. I probably won't buy a 1G, but if I did, a waterproof model introduction would be an instant upgrade for me.

• Reply 92 of 133
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

What happens if Apple releases ? watch 2?:

Will we all need to buy the complete watch?

Or can we just get the body (because we already have the band from the previous watch)?

I think Apple is making this overly complicated. They should just offer the body as is, and sell the bands separately. It will definitely simplify their supply chain.

• Reply 93 of 133
    Hey all...as an Apple fanatic, I'm all onboard with the watch. A bit disappointed in the pricing differences for materials, but understandable. The question that I know Apple didn't address, and maybe it has been here is, being a lefty, will this watch be ambidextrous? The crown plays a big roll, and for those of us who wear the watch on our right wrists, will you crown be able to be switched to the left side of the casing via screen flip, similar to when the iPod Nano square version sold a watch kit?

This could be a deal breaker for me, if not. I'm assuming Apple thought of this, but just want to verify.

Thanks all!
  • Reply 94 of 133
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'm assuming Apple thought of this, but just want to verify.
    Yes, you assume correctly. You just have to wear it upside down. The screen and watch bands are reversible.

• Reply 95 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Or can we just get the body (because we already have the band from the previous watch)?

I think Apple is making this overly complicated. They should just offer the body as is, and sell the bands separately. It will definitely simplify their supply chain.

Betcha you'll need new bands because the case will change. Apple already is a master of the supply chain, so that's not an issue for them. But the bands are for sure a high profit margin item.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavilytat2ed View Post

The question that I know Apple didn't address, and maybe it has been here is, being a lefty, will this watch be ambidextrous? The crown plays a big roll, and for those of us who wear the watch on our right wrists, will you crown be able to be switched to the left side of the casing via screen flip, similar to when the iPod Nano square version sold a watch kit?

Yes; and yes. I am right handed, but wear a watch on my right wrist (and mouse with my left.) Makes me somewhat amphibious (!). But here's the thing: currently, I only look at my watch. I will need to manipulate Apple Watch, and I'm not sure which hand I will prefer to do that. Guess I'll have to try it a bit.

Can't recall where I saw it, but Apple did promise the Watch is right/left agnostic. I also think the straps are equally swappable to put the buckling mechanism in the correct orientation.

• Reply 96 of 133
    cakracakra Posts: 12member
    Why are all the Apple Watch sport models designed for females? Hey Apple men exercise too! But I don%u2019t know any man who would wear a candy green, baby blue, pink or white watch strap. Oh yeah they make the one all-black Darth Vader model but it%u2019s hard to work out with that big black helmet on%u2026 I need an Apple Watch sport with a black band, navy blue, or dark brown.
  • Reply 97 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cakra View Post

Why are all the Apple Watch sport models designed for females? Hey Apple men exercise too! But I don%u2019t know any man who would wear a candy green, baby blue, pink or white watch strap. Oh yeah they make the one all-black Darth Vader model but it%u2019s hard to work out with that big black helmet on%u2026 I need an Apple Watch sport with a black band, navy blue, or dark brown.

Well...Apple had to offer a less expensive version that women could afford. That whole $.70 on the dollar thingy...

• Reply 98 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Watch 1 isn't out yet so angsting over Watch 2 might be early days? Details keep emerging such as the battery replacement. Time will tell. They do sell separate bands, in effect given the mix and match, the combos offer all the mix and match combos with the exception of the bands they have decided to specifically restrict such as the black steel link one., so getting a mix of bands to fit your interests is easy enough. Unless you'd like to pair a black link with the Space Grey Aluminum body that is... No doubt some fact of marketing I haven't grasped...

• Reply 99 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cakra View Post

?

Both a 32 and 48 Space Grey come with a black band.

Better balanced combo IMHO. OTOH otherwise just get a separate black band set and stick the others you got with the silver Watch sport in a drawer or on EBay.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ4E2ZM/A/38mm-white-sport-band?fnode=2b3a1a0d90dcc337f0b9b5b7935b47332479953c726793e1932e60c5ba93ba02d16b6e17e9c8bdca262dbfb4244b9a62ac2cba70888d25f23ed06e0462273af487366909e29de8eec4f54fc151a49d241ea443071993310110c8a7785156d6173414766d2bc76d35a2f90b7ff239397b

• Reply 100 of 133
    Quote:

Watch 1 isn't out yet so angsting over Watch 2 might be early days? Details keep emerging such as the battery replacement. Time will tell. They do sell separate bands, in effect given the mix and match, the combos offer all the mix and match combos with the exception of the bands they have decided to specifically restrict such as the black steel link one., so getting a mix of bands to fit your interests is easy enough. Unless you'd like to pair a black link with the Space Grey Aluminum body that is... No doubt some fact of marketing I haven't grasped...

One other marketing thing I just now noticed: Apple Watch is offered in 38mm and 42mm case sizes. Is this the first Apple Product specifically identified in metric MKS units? The new MacBook is a 12 inch product. The iPhone6 comes in 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch sizes (although thickness seems to be in mm.) iMacs are all spec'ed in inches.

Apple is like the russkies, son. They don't take a dump without having a plan...