Choosing your Apple Watch: Case and band combinations demystified

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Why would you ever have your devices NOT in silence mode, especially with the watch? I look forward to the day when audible devices cause fierce social shunning and shaming.

Yep, I have my iPhone permanently set to flash on my incoming notifications, no sound just about ever. If it's in my pocket I feel the vibration, if it's on my desk I catch the hint of the flash in my peripheral vision.

• Reply 122 of 133
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    docno42 wrote: »
    No, it's not. It will be interesting to see for myself, especially on things like user interfaces. How we interpret them can vary wildly from user to user but the points one of them brought up about the home button and how the watch didn't seem to have a similar "anchor" were indeed worrying if there isn't something else not so obvious at play.

Wouldn't be the first time Apple tripped something that would appear to be simple - that they clarify or update the interface if those concerns bare out will be key. Or better still pay attention to the feedback and address it before the release. A lot easier to do with software than hardware so there's still some hope.

On the surface it's troubling, but their last new product category was a device that uses all the same UI types as the iPhone so there was no learning curve.

I'm trying to recall if there was any difficulty with the original iPhone "firmware. I know the original Mac came with instructions on use the mouse. How about the click wheel on the iPod? I thinks that was self explanatory.

I can't help but give Apple the benefit of the doubt here. Just because it's not as intuitive as the iPod to pick up and use doesn't mean it's wrong. It could very well be the best possible solution for that size device and Apple knows we'll learn to use and love it in a very short time because it offers a great user experience.
  • Reply 123 of 133
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    It's about time. I wish more companies would just switch to metric. Biggest freaking mistake in the 70's was not following through on the switch. I think the US is also one of the few countries in the world still sticking to AM/PM crap too... 24 hour clock make so much more sense once you get used to them (and it's not really that hard either).

1) Unfortuantley they are using the standard measure of height for watch cases.

2) Maybe the US needs a company like Apple get us in bird with metric. I'm not saying only use metric, but rather list it first on their specs.

3) I'd also like to see DST disappear.

[VIDEO]
    Why would you ever have your devices NOT in silence mode, especially with the watch? I look forward to the day when audible devices cause fierce social shunning and shaming.

I can't stand when it accidently switches from silent.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's about time. I wish more companies would just switch to metric. Biggest freaking mistake in the 70's was not following through on the switch. I think the US is also one of the few countries in the world still sticking to AM/PM crap too... 24 hour clock make so much more sense once you get used to them (and it's not really that hard either).

Yeah, I've used 24 clock on all my Macs, every iPhone, etc.  It's just way easier, and makes much more sense.

• Reply 125 of 133
    aaronj wrote: »

Yeah, I've used 24 clock on all my Macs, every iPhone, etc.  It's just way easier, and makes much more sense.

I hate 24 hour. It's a pain to read and completely unnecessary in all situations. Am/pm is far easier and more logical.
  • Reply 126 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I hate 24 hour. It's a pain to read and completely unnecessary in all situations. Am/pm is far easier and more logical.

There are 24 hours in a day.  A 24 hour clock makes total sense.

Plus, I'm guessing you don't drink.  During winter, when the sun sets at 4:30pm, I might wake up at 6 and wonder whether it's 6am or 6pm.  Looking at my iPhone and seeing 6:00 or 18:00 is an easy way to know what's going on -- and where I ended up. ;)

• Reply 127 of 133
    aaronj wrote: »

There are 24 hours in a day.  A 24 hour clock makes total sense.

Plus, I'm guessing you don't drink.  During winter, when the sun sets at 4:30pm, I might wake up at 6 and wonder whether it's 6am or 6pm.  Looking at my iPhone and seeing 6:00 or 18:00 is an easy way to know what's going on -- and where I ended up. ;)

Okay. ????

The problem with 24 hour is that you can't be sure of certainty with the first twelve hours. What do I mean? I mean that with 12 hour, am/pm means you know 100% which time is being referred to. With 24 hour, you can't be sure if 8 refers to 8 am or 8 pm.
  • Reply 128 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Okay. ????

The problem with 24 hour is that you can't be sure of certainty with the first twelve hours. What do I mean? I mean that with 12 hour, am/pm means you know 100% which time is being referred to. With 24 hour, you can't be sure if 8 refers to 8 am or 8 pm.

What?

8am is 8:00.

8pm is 20:00.

How could those possibly be confused?!  Or am I missing something that you're trying to say?

• Reply 129 of 133
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I think he's saying that if you don't know if the clock is 12 or 24 hour, then seeing 8:00 on a 24 hour clock could be confusing, as you wouldn't know if it was AM or PM.  Which is stupid, because the absence of an AM/PM indicator would give it away.

Plus, if you don't know if it's morning or evening on a regular basis then you should probably be reviewing your life rather than complaining about your clocks :p

• Reply 130 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I think he's saying that if you don't know if the clock is 12 or 24 hour, then seeing 8:00 on a 24 hour clock could be confusing, as you wouldn't know if it was AM or PM.  Which is stupid, because the absence of an AM/PM indicator would give it away.

Plus, if you don't know if it's morning or evening on a regular basis then you should probably be reviewing your life rather than complaining about your clocks :p

True enough. :)

But an 8 on a clock is pretty clear on a 24 hour clock.

• Reply 131 of 133
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

If you're in a situation where you don't know whether it's morning or evening, I'd hope you're in a safe enough situation that you're familiar enough with the clock to know if it's 12 hour or 24 hour.

I guess there might be some ambiguity if the clock supports both 12 and 24 hour time, and you can't remember if you changed it recently, but seriously, if that's a sincere complaint then you don't deserve to know whether it's morning or afternoon  Stop fiddling with your clocks and get a proper sleep pattern.

• Reply 132 of 133
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    simtub wrote: »
    For the price of just the steel link bracelet (no watch) at 400-500 usd one can buy an iPad Air 2!!!
    But it sure is nice.

I do wonder how that thing is assembled. One of the issues link bands have are the pins need to be periodically replaced as they wear and stretch and break. But there are no visible pins on these bands. I'm guessing if one ever breaks, you won't be able to have it fixed at your local jeweler.

Here's what I find surprising though ... That the $17,000 gold watch does not come with a link option. Just looking at the high end gold watches available on the market, almost all of the most popular models have gold link bands. I'm guessing producing the same link band in gold would probably cost more than the gold in the watch itself, not to mention the 9 hours it takes to produce. I'm guessing without the tech, they'd have to sell the gold link for at least $10K? So what's wrong with a $20-22k watch? I mean once you hit $17K whats a few thousand more? I imagine a gold link is coming, perhaps the time it takes to make a link band backed them up so much ensuring the more popular stainless was ready they delayed the gold link from launch. Maybe they're just waiting to see how the $17k watch sells before they commit to such a substantial investment in gold.