Apple seen shipping just 450K 12" MacBooks in 1H of 2015, as radical design may temper demand

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 187
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think that should Apple only offer 12" and 15" laptops one day, that the pros will migrate towards the 15" and most of the others towards an iPad. The current 12" is well over twice the price of an iPad for just two more inches.

The Macbook has the comfort of a full size tangible keyboard and OSX, which an iPad hasn't.

The 12 inch Macbook is more catered to the regular computer user, which covers most of the people (facebook, mail, word, exel, powerpoint and internet). Anandtech wrote a great article about the concept behind the Macbook. 

• Reply 182 of 187
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I have no interest in being right, only in being correct, as well as others around me being correct. Your use of space has only one definition in this regard without qualification. If you wanted to refer to the display resolution, pixel density, or pixel count then you should have said so. Now you just look like you're backpedaling after your error has been pointed out.

Nope. My comment was always within the context of app developer usage to address his claim that the new MacBook is particularly poor for app development. The difference between the 13" MBA and 12" MB display is minimal and neither is particularly great for app development.
    Furthermore, since Apple's goes Retina specifically so 1 pixel can be represented by 4 pixels in a 2x2 grid, Apple simply wants elements to look crisper without giving the user any additional workspace.

Nope. Using the 13" MBP vs the 13" MBPr you can see that many folks run 1440x900 rather than 1280x800 and some will run 1680×1050. That's two modes that Apple provides and advertises as an advantage for the MBPr over the MBP.
    In fact, going from, say, the 13" MBP to the 13" Retina MacBook Pro you have a cursor and Menu Bar that are the same size as before. You do have some options to make them larger and smaller, but these are not enabled by default

They are enabled by default. The native resolution is not enabled by default and you have to use 3rd party tools to enable. The higher resolutions are not the default setting but they certainly are enabled and advertised.
    so if you did mean to say, "Well, on the 12" MacBook I can scale the resolution to shrink all the element thereby giving me more virtual space in which to work," you didn't come close to stating that in any regard.

The context is quite clear. The 13" MBA is not much bigger than the 12" MB for developers regardless of which way you define screen space. The percentage might be large but the absolute difference is minimal. You are simply arguing for the sake of arguing.
  • Reply 183 of 187
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    nht wrote: »
    Nope. My comment was always within the context of...

Then this should be a good lesson for you to learn to write more clearly and use proper terminology that is properly qualified.
  • Reply 184 of 187
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I was thinking the same thing until I saw that the rMBP at the same price has half the storage.

I think I will be going for absolute portability as I have iMacs both at home and in the office to do the heavy lifting.

Indeed.  good catch, makes the new macbook not so bad if someone is not too picky on performance.

• Reply 185 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Then this should be a good lesson for you to learn to write more clearly and use proper terminology that is properly qualified.

Lol...or just to ignore you.

• Reply 186 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Indeed.  good catch, makes the new macbook not so bad if someone is not too picky on performance.

You aren't going to want to edit video on the thing or play games but otherwise the benchmarks seemed reasonable for most day to day activities.  Even software development if you don't have the need to run a lot of VMs.  The RAM limit is probably more of a hindrance than the processor.