Apple to launch online TV service with support from major providers this fall, report says

Comments

• Reply 101 of 181
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No.  McDonalds is offering a Hambuger sandwhich.  NOt just a hamburger.

The cable companies are offering a package of channels,  not ala carte.

You can't just DEMAND things to be sold piece meal.  That's my point.

Dude, are you okay? A Hamburger is a sandwich which consists of meat and buns. The meat itself is not what is called the hamburger.

• Reply 102 of 181
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I think this "next day" option will have to change. I don't necessarily think it'll be an entire season dumps like with modern Internet-based content creators, but I do think eventually they'll have to some that's more equatable as the market shifts.

More, and more shows are using social media, specifically twitter, and counting on viewers to watch the broadcast instead of waiting. Banshee does it, and so does The Walking Dead. There were so many tweets during one scene this past Sunday that I seriously thought twitter was going to go down. I actually feel bad for people on the west coast, because they have to stay off twitter for at least 3 hours, or risk getting exposed to spoilers. My point is that I don't think that TV people want to fix that whole 24 hour wait period.
  • Reply 103 of 181
    Quote:

Oh god.  YOu are hopless.

What if you are a hard working musician.  Would you want your music to be 'shared' with others without you getting paid?  WTF man.  Seriously.  

TV shows are not a charity.  They cost money to make, produce, ect.  If you are illegally 'sharing' you are stealing money from the pockets of actors/directors/ect.

For most of human existence, this is how things were done. Without the government using force against non-violent people doing non-violent things like sharing music, the industry would simply have to evolve to the state it would have been without it.

• Reply 104 of 181
    Quote:

point is the customer does not CHOOSE how products can be piece mealed.

Pretty obvious.

If we go with your analogy, you proved your point wrong. There is choice. Typically, fast food joints sell products in packages (meals), but I can choose to get one item from that package with the exclusion of the other. 

• Reply 105 of 181
    Dude, are you okay? A Hamburger is a sandwich which consists of meat and buns. The meat itself is not what is called the hamburger.

I think sog lost a cog. :lol:
  • Reply 106 of 181
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Why would there be blackouts if the broadcast stations and espn are on board?

Where does the article say the broadcast STATIONS are on board?  All that's mentioned are the broadcast networks.  There's a diff between having access to network content from a central source and local channel content from hundreds of different channels.  So tbc, but I wouldn't bet on your local news being there....

ESPN, OTOH, pretty likely given Apple's ties to Disney.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Because leagues have their own rules. 

Clearly, you do not watch sports because you think everything is controlled by broadcast networks and ESPN.

Let's say I want to watch my hometown Giants on TV? The vast majority of their games are broadcast on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, which is carried on cable and satellite TV. I can't get these games on broadcast TV and MLB.TV Premium won't let me access these games either due to local blackout rules.

All kinds of knots here.  Other examples:  I listen to Bloomberg radio on their site because clearer signal than on my AM radio - but on Sundays when they're re-broadcasting radio streams of TV content they've licensed - Meet the Press, Face the Nation, Fox News Sunday and ABC's show - the website switches to other content.

And on TuneIn.com, when I'm listening to my old hometown stations, the signal's unavailable during local NBA broadcasts (which I CAN get for free with an NBA "All Audio League Pass... ...combined with the helpful TV companion website in another tab)....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You can already get MLB and the NBA on Apple TV. They already know how to deal with blackout rules.

Apple's "$30-40" package, HBO's $16, MBL, NFL, NBA, etc., etc.  Plus if I want it, paying separately for Netflix' and Amazon's and ???'s original programming...

...Not exactly seeing amazing savings over Cable (where I used to also timeshift before I personally/happily went on a TV diet, so I'm savng big time at the moment)... ...rather just Apple (or someone) becoming the new aggregator skimming something off the top...  ...with the price of "the pipe" maybe increasing as Cable loses profits from lost subs...

• Reply 107 of 181
    Quote:

Try go to Mcdonalds and say you want to buy JUST THE HAMBURGER PATTY and want a discounted price.

Report back to us with your results.

If someone wants just the patty, there's a place for them to buy it at a discount. But keep running around the point you were trying to make. You are wrong. There are markets where you can choose to select things individually that would normally come in a package. Your analogy proves it true.

• Reply 108 of 181
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    sog35 wrote: »
    when your exchange of ideas include ILLEGAL activities its pretty hard not to challenge your ideas.

Its easy for you to say you'd rather just pay $20 a month to Netflix/Hulu than $40 a month to Apple because you supplement your Netflix/Hulu with ILLEGAL TORRENTS.  For most of us we won't go down that path so we have no choice but Cable/Satellite.  

Oh spare me the moral argument from your high horse. It's tiresome. There are plenty of things that are illegal that are worthy of discussion. Did you know that until pretty recently it was illegal (on paper) for an interracial couple to be married in some US states? I guess no one should have talked about that and just kissed the government's ***, right? And as we work to legalize marijuana across the country, I guess everyone should just shut up and stop talking about it because it's illegal. It's too bad women started speaking up about it being illegal for them to vote. They should have just kept quiet, right?

I said I'm not paying $40/month to watch commercials. Netflix doesn't have commercials, Einstein. I pay $8/month for Hulu plus and put up with commercials there. And I buy season passes from apple that are also commercial free. Of those three, only Hulu has commercials. As for supplementing with torrent, I rarely need to. I find torrent a pain in the ***. I have to really want to watch something to bother searching torrent. 98% of my content comes from Hulu, Netflix and Apple.

But my original point remains the same. If I'm going to pay Apple $40 for limited channels with commercials, I'd rather just go back to cable and get a DVR. That is all.
  • Reply 109 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Right. So when T.V. networks put their shows (which cost millions to produce) on their websites and you BLOCK their revenue stream... You're not doing anything morally wrong because it's not labeled as "illegal." Zzzzzzz. Anyway, my point is to get off your high-horse. It's boring and nerds this convo way more than it needs.

Yeah exactly. Look at him all capping the word illegal. People who base their morally on whether something is legal or not are pretty sad, in my opinion.

• Reply 110 of 181
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    More, and more shows are using social media, specifically twitter, and counting on viewers to watch the broadcast instead of waiting. Banshee does it, and so does The Walking Dead. There were so many tweets during one scene this past Sunday that I seriously thought twitter was going to go down. I actually feel bad for people on the west coast, because they have to stay off twitter for at least 3 hours, or risk getting exposed to spoilers. My point is that I don't think that TV people want to fix that whole 24 hour wait period.

I agree, but I think they will have to at some point. Right now t hold people to their cable/sat connections but I think eventually that will have to shift and it'll be available to everyone around the world in a market at the same time.

PS: What the he'll is going on with Banshee? How do you cover up a military base and personal being shot up (even if decommissioned)? Where is Job being taken? How will "Hood" find him? Will Kai eliminate Rebecca? Will "Hood" ever be sheriff again? Will Bunker now be covered in burn marks instead of tattoos? And what the hell is going on with Burton's gibbly bits?
  • Reply 111 of 181
    Quote:

So you think stealing people's lively hood is okay?  Really?

There are a ton of stupid laws but not being able to steal is not of them.

No one is stealing anything. I buy a CD and give it to my friend. What I did was illegal, but my friend didn't steal shit.

• Reply 112 of 181
    And yes I have never downloaded an illegal torrent.  I did download illegal music 20 years ago when the lines between illegal downloads were still unclear in the court of law.  The last 15 years I have not downloaded illegal music, movies, pics, ect.  I know how hard these people work and I will not steal from them.

What a joke. Everyone knew downloading music was illegal. But you needed a court to rubber stamp it? You're a total hypocrite, admitting to STEALING MUSIC, YOU HORRIBLE THIEF. YOURE JUST A THIEF!!! Own it THIEF!
  • Reply 113 of 181
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

What a joke. Everyone knew downloading music was illegal. But you needed a court to rubber stamp it? You're a total hypocrite, admitting to STEALING MUSIC, YOU HORRIBLE THIEF. YOURE JUST A THIEF!!! Own it THIEF!

He base his morally on what the people in power tells him is right or wrong. Those people are pathetic.

• Reply 114 of 181
    Quote:

So you are okay with stealing things from others?

I don't steal. If I buy a CD and give it to you, you did not steal it. You did acquire it illegal however.

• Reply 115 of 181
    some one who gets it.  LOL!

So would you be willing to pay $200 for ad free tv?

How the HELL do you expect TV without ads to be the same price as TV with ads?

You are living in a dream world, son.

I'm not your son, douchebag. I said I'd be willing to pay more money for fewer channels with no ads. Can you not read??? I never said I wanted to pay the same price for all the same channels one gets on cable, but get them commercial free. Learn to read.
  • Reply 116 of 181
    robbyx wrote: »
    Oh spare me the moral argument from your high horse. It's tiresome. There are plenty of things that are illegal that are worthy of discussion. Did you know that until pretty recently it was illegal (on paper) for an interracial couple to be married in some US states? I guess no one should have talked about that and just kissed the government's ***, right? And as we work to legalize marijuana across the country, I guess everyone should just shut up and stop talking about it because it's illegal. It's too bad women started speaking up about it being illegal for them to vote. They should have just kept quiet, right?

I said I'm not paying $40/month to watch commercials. Netflix doesn't have commercials, Einstein. I pay $8/month for Hulu plus and put up with commercials there. And I buy season passes from apple that are also commercial free. Of those three, only Hulu has commercials. As for supplementing with torrent, I rarely need to. I find torrent a pain in the ***. I have to really want to watch something to bother searching torrent. 98% of my content comes from Hulu, Netflix and Apple.

But my original point remains the same. If I'm going to pay Apple $40 for limited channels with commercials, I'd rather just go back to cable and get a DVR. That is all.

I'd pay twice the price if Hulu was ad free. Btw have you watched Misfits? It's easily one of the craziest shows I've ever watched. Here's a little sample.

• Reply 117 of 181
    ARE YOU A THIEF?  YES OR NO.  Answer the question.

I'll admit I stole music when I was 12 years old.  Happy now?

ARE YOU A THIEF?  YES OR NO.  Answer the question.

At the moment, no. I haven't used torrent in close to two years. But I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't use it if there was something I really wanted to watch and the legal services I currently use didn't offer it.
  • Reply 118 of 181
    Quote:

WRONG.   IF you buy a physical CD you have ownership rights that can be transferred to someone else.

Stop clouding the issue.  

If I bought a CD, ripped it to my iPod, then give it to you, that's illegal.

• Reply 119 of 181
    Quote:

Yes that is illegal. 

If you really like the artist why don't you support him?  Buy the album for your friend.  

That's not the point. The point is that no one stole anything. I'm simply giving my friend a CD. So yes, it's illegal, but no, I did not steal shit.

• Reply 120 of 181
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'd pay twice the price if Hulu was ad free. Btw have you watched Misfits? It's easily one of the craziest shows I've ever watched. Here's a little sample.

I loved misfits! Got into it a few years ago and burned through all the seasons. Great show. Great direction and visuals. And awesome music. I'd pay at least three times the current Hulu plus price if it were commercial free.