Apple's subscription TV service predicted to cost below $40 to compete with cable providers

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Since when are you the one who make the definition of cutting the cord?

I think most people think cutting the cord is cutting the CABLE CORD.  If they still pay for movies/TV using the internet (Netflix, Hulu) that is still cutting the cord.

I still pay, ala carte, for Netflix and Hulu, as I see fit. If I don't want it one month, I can turn it off with a toggle.

I don't want to get into semantics, but I can assure you that cord cutting does NOT mean going from one all-you-can-eat subscription to another, even if the new one is cheaper.

Its about changing the way content is provided. LEADING WITH the Netflix and Hulu model, select amount of content for a low price. If you value it, you pay for it, if you don't, then you don't.

Why should CBS get a cut if I only want to pay for ABC content? I don't care about either, I'm just illustrating.

• Reply 122 of 127
    sog35 wrote: »
    Actually you can buy HBO for $15

Oh sure. But HBO is a premium channel that has always had an additional cost.

I was talking about true a la carte cable channels... where you get to choose, and only pay for, a handful of channels from the hundreds available.

If, for instance, you can get 200 channels for $100 a month... you will never be able to select just 5 channels for $2.50 a month.

$0.50 per channel sounds amazing... but it won't happen.

Cable companies have instead offered "bundles" of channels. They offer different tiers. There is a 20 channel package, a 70 channel package, or as many as 200 and 500 channels.

So since you cannot hand-pick certain channels... you need to select the package that closely resembles the amount of channels you want. And even still... there will likely be some channels that you don't want... even if you select a smaller tier.

These cable bundles are like a buffet at a restaurant.

You pay the price for the buffet and all the items it includes... even if you only eat a handful of items.

If you don't like green beans or okra... you're still paying for them in the price of the full buffet.
  • Reply 123 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Actually you can buy HBO for $15

I didn't know HBO was up for sale.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

But the problem is if a disruptive tech come in you will be stuck with a $500 tivo box.  With cable I can just cancel.

No matter how disruptive the technology, it still takes time to mature and roll out. All the while the "old" technology continues to work fine. (It's only been relatively recently that digital music download sales finally surpassed CD sales.) None of the existing options, including Apple's hypothesized option, would replace TiVo for my uses anytime in the next couple of years. I think my investment is safe.

It will be interesting to see how Apple handles things that a DVR can do. For instance, if I record my favorite movie or really like an particular TV show, I has save it indefinitely and watch whenever I want. Or I can access my TiVo from practically anywhere in the world and stream/download shows to my iPad. Will Apple's licensing agreements allow that? I think Apple's efforts are a step in the right direction, but as I said, I don't think it's anything that would prompt me to get rid of my TiVo anytime in the next couple of years.

• Reply 125 of 127
    Quote:

Look at SlingTV.  You are getting live TV for $20 a month.  I don't think SlingTV is missing any FOX shows.

SlingTV does not include the OTA networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC), so it is missing all Fox shows.

• Reply 126 of 127
    How abc live not work Apple TV