Why Apple is banking on USB-C for its all-new 12-inch MacBook and beyond

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    blah64 wrote: »
    Though I wouldn't really care if two USB ports were on the same side, fine with me.

I've always wanted the power cable to be pluggable on either side (since the back isn't an option with the way the lid opens and closes), and with USB-C that is now a possibility (like in the new Chromebook Pixel). The single biggest wear and tear on my power cable is having to plug in on the right with the cord wrapping around the back of the machine toward the left because that's where the plug is. I can show a pick of my late 2014 MBP power cable being well worn because of such an arrangement.
    That said, for me personally, I would never buy a portable computer with only a single port. My laptop is my main computer and typical use is maybe 10-12 hours/day. Even though I change physical locations often, I have multiple power cables and run plugged in more often than not. With my fairly demanding usage, I tend to get maybe 2/3 of spec'd battery life, and since laptop batteries degrade over time I'm pretty picky about making them last.

I'm fine with it because I rarely have any more than one item plugged into my notebooks at any one time. A power cable at home, the very rare USB-A-to-Lightning cable for my iPhone for local backups, syncing, and upgrades, and some USB adapter for connecting an external HDD whilst abroad for work for re-imaging a drive. And that last one shouldn't be an issue I'm sure there will be plenty of adapters and hubs coming to Monoprice soon enough.
  • Reply 62 of 154
    Funny how a month ago, predicting Thunderbolt's obviously inevitable demise in favor of USB on this site would get you slammed, called a "troll", and subjected to a massive pile-on from people claiming that USB in fact needed to be killed off and that we would all be using Thunderbolt for mice in the future — and now this is right on the front page.
  • Reply 63 of 154
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Agree on all counts. Though I wouldn't really care if two USB ports were on the same side, fine with me.

That said, for me personally, I would never buy a portable computer with only a single port. My laptop is my main computer and typical use is maybe 10-12 hours/day. Even though I change physical locations often, I have multiple power cables and run plugged in more often than not. With my fairly demanding usage, I tend to get maybe 2/3 of spec'd battery life, and since laptop batteries degrade over time I'm pretty picky about making them last.

Also, I need to use external devices fairly often, occasionally for long periods of time. Not having the easy ability to plug devices in and out without losing power and/or mucking around with external hubs/dongles/whatever ain't gonna work for me.

So fine, I'm not a typical user, and a 12" screen isn't going to cut it for me in any case, so I'm not their target audience. No biggie?

I'm not so sure. People use USB ports all the time. It's standard, and expected! For iPods, thumb drives, external hard disks for backup... Heck, I see more people still using external mice than makes sense to me.

All in all, I think this was a mistake. Clearly this machine was not designed with me in mind, but I do think they should have included a 2nd USB port.

2nd USB-C port should be exactly opposite side of first one so, users can connect their power supply cord to either side USB-C connector and also, when one usb-c port is in use for power, other can be used for external connectivity.  Small USB connector hardware is cheap. This is no brainer. Not sure Apple being so good why miss this.

• Reply 64 of 154
    Funny how a month ago, predicting Thunderbolt's obviously inevitable demise would get you slammed and called a "troll" on this site, but now it's right on the front page.

1) Don't count TB out just yet. There are currently plenty of higher-end uses that will likely be around for years to come.

2) A month ago there was no Mac that was shipping with USB-C.

3) Actually, a lot longer than a month ago and multiple times, I presented a scenario where Apple could eschew TB in their entry-level models in favour of either USB 3.0, or USB 3.0 + DP. I also suggested that USB-C could replace Lightning and even presented multiple examples of Apple renouncing their homegrown technology in favour of a standard one when the standard exceeded their own attempts. I don't recall being called a troll, but I also make an attempt not to state my hypothesis as facts.
  • Reply 65 of 154
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    robm wrote: »
    Now that is taking posting to whole new level !
    :D

Yeah. I couldn't talk, but I could type.
  • Reply 66 of 154
  • Reply 67 of 154
    wood1208 wrote: »

2nd USB-C port should be exactly opposite side of first one so, users can connect their power supply cord to either side USB-C connector and also, when one usb-c port is in use for power, other can be used for external connectivity.  Small USB connector hardware is cheap. This is no brainer. Not sure Apple being so good why miss this.

There you go again saying what should be done. This isn't your product so the only reasonable comment you can make is what you wish to be done.
  • Reply 68 of 154
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    No sixth sense - just common sense. :)
    For vertically-mounted USB ports, the most common orientation is for the contacts to face to the right when the connector is viewed straight on. Therefore, the contacts on the USB device/cable will always face the opposite direction.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Don't believe the above? Look at the USB ports on the computer you're using right now. I'll bet you the vast majority are installed as described. Plugging in a USB device is far from rocket science - all it takes is basic observation and memory.</span>

My main laptop is almost never an issue (read above), but on your suggestion I just looked at another computer next to me because the connectors are on the back and vertical. They are indeed the opposite of what you're saying. So no, not so simple. Especially when you're dealing with several computers, some with USB extension cables, or in physical locations where you're reaching around something or bending down, etc. There's no way I'm going to waste my brain cells trying to remember all of them. As I mentioned above, I have one device (charger) which is horizontally oriented and upside down from "normal", which is frustrating. USB is not just for laptops, it's a nearly-universal cable format.

So sorry, I'm not buying your "common sense" notion!
  • Reply 69 of 154

For those of us using our laptops on the living room sofa and/or beds, etc., MAGSAFE has been a blessing.  I have lost count of the number of times I've accidentally kicked out the magsafe power plug, and been relieved that my laptop hasn't gone sailing through the air (or the cord itself been damaged). In fact, I'd be very reluctant to buy the new macbook if it is lacking the magsafe power interface.

• Reply 70 of 154
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Scroll up six posts, the USB ports on our Mac minis are all in the back of the unit.  SMH

Which doesn't invalidate what I said.  You just have to remember that for that device,  Right is the new Up.

• Reply 71 of 154
    mytdave wrote: »
    The only small (but significant) detail left out of the conversation is that USB can't reach it's full theoretical transfer rate due to signaling and overhead. Real world transfer rates for USB-2 average 40% of maximum, and it's even worse for USB-3.x. In contrast, Thunderbolt, if I remember correctly, can realize up to 90% of its maximum.

In numerical terms, the best you'll ever get from:
    USB-2 is ~200Mbps
    USB-3 is ~1.8Gbps
    USB-3.1 is ~3Gbps

Compared to Thunderbolt at real world speeds approaching 18Gbps (and soon to be near 40Gbps) USB is a pittance.

The latter two seem a bit low. Where did you read that?
  • Reply 72 of 154
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    melgross wrote: »
    I've found that all decent usb cables indicate which way is up using the usb symbol on the top side. Devices with usb also have that side up when the connector is horizontal.
    True, but when you are fumbling behind the iMac in danger of knocking various peripherals to the floor, not to mention accidentally unplugging the computer and knocking the coffee over, and then realizing the USB's are vertical... well, it all gets ugly very quickly.
  • Reply 73 of 154
    ericwvgg wrote: »
    %u201CFundamentally Lightning is based on USB 2.0, and doesn't offer much of a difference beyond a compact, reversible head%u201D

Not true. The most technically impressive achievement of the Lightning cable is its ability to reassign the "wires" to different functions. A specialized lightning connector could, instead of USB, provide an analog video outlet, or theoretically anything that it carries enough wires to provide signals for.

What%u2019s debatable is how useful that actually is. I believe that USB 3.1%u2019s DisplayPort ability, in conjunction with industry-wide momentum, will render that advantage moot.

Not true. The Lightning port is pretty sophisticated. Apple worked on the new usb c port so it has some of the advantages, hut not all.
  • Reply 74 of 154

the downside of Thunderbolt is the pathetic power that it can supply.

Won't power my digital camera for ex

• Reply 75 of 154
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    crushed wrote: »
    What about isochronus communication? Is USB C still stuck to USB communication overheads that stall sustained throughput? Then it can't replace thunderbolt (or FireWire via TB) any time soon, even if it claims a 10Gbps theoretical bandwidth. Most people can do without RAID and TRIM, but try backing up a hard drive over USB and you will know what iam talking about.

Just did that 1.5 GB. It took all night with the last time i looked the Mac indicating 9 hours

Do realize though that once USB is significantly faster than hard disks it won't matter
  • Reply 76 of 154
    paxman wrote: »
    True, but when you are fumbling behind the iMac in danger of knocking various peripherals to the floor, not to mention accidentally unplugging the computer and knocking the coffee over, and then realizing the USB's are vertical... well, it all gets ugly very quickly.

As I said, and confirmed by others, ports face one way. There is a standard for that. You just have to remember which way it should be and plug it in that way.
  • Reply 77 of 154
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

My main laptop is almost never an issue (read above), but on your suggestion I just looked at another computer next to me because the connectors are on the back and vertical. They are indeed the opposite of what you're saying. So no, not so simple. Especially when you're dealing with several computers, some with USB extension cables, or in physical locations where you're reaching around something or bending down, etc. There's no way I'm going to waste my brain cells trying to remember all of them. As I mentioned above, I have one device (charger) which is horizontally oriented and upside down from "normal", which is frustrating. USB is not just for laptops, it's a nearly-universal cable format.

So sorry, I'm not buying your "common sense" notion!

People like you are why automobiles now have an arrow near the fuel gauge indicating which side the fuel filler door is on. ;)

• Reply 78 of 154
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    captain j wrote: »
    If they had put two of these on the MacBook that would have been much better

Yep! For me it is the machines biggest turn off Performance is also an issue but rev 2 will deal with that.
  • Reply 79 of 154
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,429moderator
    ericwvgg wrote: »
    What's debatable is how useful that actually is. I believe that USB 3.1's DisplayPort ability, in conjunction with industry-wide momentum, will render that advantage moot.

Yeah, Thunderbolt's biggest problem has been that it provides solutions for needs very few people have. Live video streaming, low latency audio, very high bandwidth data, multiple protocols like 10 gigabit ethernet or fiber channel, running PCIe devices.

There's been mention of USB's alt-mode potentially being able to support PCIe. Thunderbolt doesn't have a bandwidth advantage either because they both use multiple lanes but for some reason the USB 3 protocol can't use it all. Displayport can and 5K video at 60Hz can go over a single USB 3 cable, which uses 21Gbps.

The USB C connector might even be able to support optical right in the port in future:

http://www.corning.com/opcomm/OpticalCablesbyCorning/products/USB-3.Optical.aspx

This outcome would supersede Thunderbolt and that would be fine. USB and Thunderbolt are not competing standards. The same people help develop both. Advancements like the above to USB C would just turn it into Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 80 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bill1357 View Post

the downside of Thunderbolt is the pathetic power that it can supply.

Won't power my digital camera for ex

I'm running hard drives with TB 2

TB 3 specification allows the cable to provide up to 100 watts of power