Apple Watch preorders will begin after 12:01 a.m. Pacific on April 10

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Preorders for the forthcoming Apple Watch will begin just after midnight Pacific Time in one week, on next Friday, April 10, Apple has revealed.

The official Apple Watch page was updated to note that Apple will begin taking preorders "after 12:01 a.m. PDT" on April 10. That equates to 3:01 a.m. Eastern.

Midnight preorders are not uncommon for an Apple product, though given the two-week try-on period Apple will be hosting at its retail stores, it was previously unclear how preorders might work for the Watch.

With the crushing demand Apple usually faces for new products at launch, the midnight start for preorders would suggest that users who want an Apple Watch on launch day may need to commit to purchasing a model before they even get to try it on.

Apple will also begin accepting reservations for Apple Watch try-ons starting after stores open later on April 10. Customers who book an appointment will be able to come in to a store and spend 15 minutes testing out an Apple Watch on their own wrist, becoming familiar with the hardware and helping to narrow down a selection for size, style and band.

Buyers of the premium $10,000-and-up Apple Watch Edition will get 30 minutes to try the 18-karat gold watch before committing to a purchase. Apple has said quantities of the Edition will be extremely limited.

The Apple Watch will officially launch on Friday, April 24 -- two weeks after preorders and try-ons begin. The device starts at $349 for the entry-level aluminum Sport model, and $549 for the stainless steel version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I'll be asleep, hence won't be ordering one. In fact I don't believe I'll be buying one until v2 or v3. Good luck Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 50

So there will be a frantic few hours of ordering at midnight, then a rolling frantic few hours of making try-on reservations later that morning.

This. Will. Be. A. Zoo. 

In store and online.

• Reply 3 of 50
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Credit card at the ready.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I'll set my watch to it...oh, wait...

• Reply 5 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I'll be asleep, hence won't be ordering one. In fact I don't believe I'll be buying one until v2 or v3. Good luck Apple!

Me neither. I don't think people will pre-order that a lot since it's a new product. They'd rather try it first in stores.

• Reply 6 of 50
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

I've never bought an Apple product on release, so I don't know what to expect, but I'll be up at midnight next Friday in an attempt to get one delivered on release day.  Conveniently, free practice for the Chinese Grand Prix will be on TV at the same time, so no hardship staying up!

Anyone who has ordered something like an iPhone as soon as they become available, how easy is it to get an order in?  Are Apples servers generally reliable, or should I be expecting something of a shit show?

• Reply 7 of 50
    Sweet. I will buy one in spite of the Apple haters and closet Fandroids out there, like BF. ;)
  • Reply 8 of 50
    mj web wrote: »

Skylake. That's when you should buy. /s
  • Reply 9 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I'll set my watch to it...oh, wait...

I see what you did there.

• Reply 10 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I did a launch day order on the original iPad. It showed up at like 10am on launch day. I'm doing this with Apple Watch. I'll put in pre-orders on 4/10 for two of them. I think I'll be sick (cough cough) from work on 4/24. Can't wait!

• Reply 11 of 50
    Tune in April 11 for the forum Fandroid narrative of "major disappointment" if the 42mm Rose Gold model is still shipping April 24. If shipping times quickly move to "In 3-4 weeks" then the troll narrative will be how Apple has "artificially limited supplies." [B]Rule of the troll:[/B] Everything is a sign of Apple's failure.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Sort of surprising but not really, seems like they usually only do 1201 preorders because there expecting a lot . I think I'll wake up at the normal time and see if anything is sold out .
  • Reply 13 of 50
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    This is perfect. Just the time when I get into work in London (8.0am). To answer one post I had no trouble ordering the first iPad on my iPhone from Bristol airport at 6.0am when orders had just gone live but when ordering the iPhone 4S when the site went live in the late evening UK time there were delays with the website and I recall only ordering the phone the next morning
  • Reply 14 of 50
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I assume that's the time for US pre-orders?

• Reply 15 of 50
    mscathymscathy Posts: 4member
    Without doubt, I'll get up to place my order @ 3:01! I always do pre-orders without a problem.
  • Reply 16 of 50

Whoever had an experience in preordering, which way do you recommend?

Web browser? or the Apple Store app? or does it not really matter?

• Reply 17 of 50
    jodyzjodyz Posts: 12member

If the watch goes on sale the 10th online, when will the new MacBook go on sale?

• Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've never bought an Apple product on release, so I don't know what to expect, but I'll be up at midnight next Friday in an attempt to get one delivered on release day.  Conveniently, free practice for the Chinese Grand Prix will be on TV at the same time, so no hardship staying up!

Anyone who has ordered something like an iPhone as soon as they become available, how easy is it to get an order in?  Are Apples servers generally reliable, or should I be expecting something of a shit show?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Byun View Post

Whoever had an experience in preordering, which way do you recommend?

Web browser? or the Apple Store app? or does it not really matter?

It will be a shit show, or at least is usually is.

I generally hear the Apple Store app on iPhone or iPad works better, so have that installed and ready. I might even try pre-ordering there first. Usually whatever servers handle those transactions are less saturated.

• Reply 19 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

38mm Watch with Milanese Loop. Credit card at the ready.

• Reply 20 of 50
    jodyzjodyz Posts: 12member

If the Apple Watch preorder begins online on the 10th, when will the new MacBook preorder begin?