Ousted HP CEO Carly Fiorina calls Apple's Tim Cook a hypocrite for stance on Indiana law

Comments

• Reply 21 of 394
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'd sooner vote for iCarly then for her.
  • Reply 22 of 394

Well, how fitting that she's in a new career where failures are rewarded handsomely and accountability has no meaning.

• Reply 23 of 394
    A failed CEO is a presidential candidate?

Sounds about right...
  • Reply 24 of 394
    Mr. Cook is a citizen of the United States, not of any of the other countries. As such he has the right to express his opinion and possibly influence the actions of states where Apple does business. It is less likely that expressing the same opinion with statements in other countries will be effective. Of course he does influence how Apple treats its employees and customers world-wide.

Ousted CEO Florina, to my knowledge, has not expressed her opinions on the laws being discussed. Does she think these laws that give businesses license to discriminate under the guise of protecting religions from government interference are a good idea?
  • Reply 25 of 394
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

And yet I don't recall Cook ever mentioning ceasing selling items in Indiana?

• Reply 26 of 394
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElectricChairRepairman View Post

Well, how fitting that she's in a new career where failures are rewarded handsomely and accountability has no meaning.

Wasn't that pretty much her previous career also?

• Reply 27 of 394
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    sestewart wrote: »
    Amen, Sister!

Romans 1, 16-32

It is people like yourself that are the problem in this world. Instead of having a sense of humanity and compassion you crawl into a man made scripture from centuries ago. Fundamentalists have the same basic flaw, regardless of the religion, in that you follow some ancient scribe instead of thinking for yourselves.
  • Reply 28 of 394
    peteo wrote: »
    Maybe we should allow discrimination against women in the workplace since you know the bible says "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent" (1 Timothy 2:11-12)

Fun Fact: much of Paul's writings were his opinion.

Carly would be a bad president, but in this case I do agree with the general point. Not to mention everyone made this law about Gays vs Christians when it wasn't focused on that at all. What happens if a black skinhead goes to a Jewish baker and demands a cake with some anti-Semitic slur on it? Without this law, he can sue for discrimination because "clearly he hates black people"

Well, okay, without this law, IF we followed the Constitution they'd be fine, but since we don't follow it the law is needed.
  • Reply 29 of 394
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    What is she living off of these days? I smell reality show. She and Trump, two peas in a pod. Does that make her a Trumpette?
  • Reply 30 of 394
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Go Carly! Screw the haters.

Including the Republican business leaders that disapproved of this law as it was written. Go Carly! /s

• Reply 31 of 394
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    You carefully pick your battles depending on the specific country and what is most pressing. In the US, it is gay rights. In China and other developing countries, it is pollution and human rights. Tim knows and understands this.

Gay rights is the most pressing issue in America? Well, I didn't realize that the country was no longer in a depression, with a failing infrastructure, massive unemployment, a gargantuan national debt, failing entitlement programs, a defunct education system, a huge illegal immigration problem, and a largely ignorant populace. Clearly, 'gay rights' trumps all those. :roll eyes:
  • Reply 32 of 394
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    freerange wrote: »
    It is people like yourself that are the problem in this world. Instead of having a sense of humanity and compassion you crawl into a man made scripture from centuries ago. Fundamentalists have the same basic flaw, regardless of the religion, in that you follow some ancient scribe instead of thinking for yourselves.

That same scripture instructs us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. That's plenty compassion, and humanity beyond measure.
  • Reply 33 of 394
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Carly Fiorina?

'Nuff said....

• Reply 34 of 394
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    peteo wrote: »
    Maybe we should allow discrimination against women in the workplace since you know the bible says "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent" (1 Timothy 2:11-12)
    There's nothing as handy as the bible for digging up contradictory advice of whatever kind! ;-)
  • Reply 35 of 394
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Newsflash: Idiot doesn't know what they're talking about.

• Reply 36 of 394
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes, please go, Carly. Note the "Ousted" title.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

If you want to live your life according to some made up horseshit from 2000 years ago, fair play to you.  Don't assume to discriminate against people who don't.

This is something the Republic is now going to have to come to grips with. Using the words "fairness" and "tolerance" and "equality" in discussing religion is nonsensical. Religions, by definition, are all about unfairness, intolerance, and inequality. It is really shocking how little some people that profess to follow certain religions know about the tents of their own. The First Amendment to the US Constitution has specific protections to allow people to do this....in a very 18th century fashion. And it is now time to come to grips about the future of that.

Don't forget that same constitution also acknowledged and permitted slavery. As do many current religions. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

They don't seem to understand that just because you can't make everything better, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make something better.

This.

• Reply 37 of 394
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    rogifan wrote: »

Nobody has demonstrated more hate on this board than you. It's sad watching you spiral into your homophobic, homo-hating vicious circle. I pray you get help soon. Really I do.
  • Reply 38 of 394
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member

Now I like her even less, didn't think that was possible.

• Reply 39 of 394
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 135member
    She is one bitter individual.
  • Reply 40 of 394
    99% of that written word contradicts itself in one way or another.  Please come up with something original and relevant.  The assholes who wrote this stuff discriminated against most of humanity.

No it doesn't. As for religious texts, the bible is probably the most conisistent. Most "apparent" contradictions can be reasoned about in a logical manner, especially after understanding the literary context, the culture of the day, and going back to the original Hebrew or Greek. Full meaning of a particular Hebrew or Greek word(s) may not be easily conveyed in English, which is why in order to fully understand and appreciate a particular text, you need to get to the root. I have always found, given a particular conundrum, that after close inspection is not really a conundrum at all. People like you often take things out of context, such as the verse that says "an eye for an eye." Christ said, “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. (?Matthew? ?5?:?38-42? ESV)

Given the context of the surrounding verses, Christ is not advocating revenge, but rather showing others grace in the face of being wronged.

Many of the supposed contradictions people bring up are not contradictions at all, they have simply been told wrong, didn't read the passage for themselves, take things out of context, and/or just flat out refuse to accept that there isn't a contradiction despite of the evidence that is before them that states otherwise.