Ousted HP CEO Carly Fiorina calls Apple's Tim Cook a hypocrite for stance on Indiana law

Comments

• Reply 101 of 394
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is about the US, Carly. Leave China to China (and to companies that make a profit there.)

How's life at the helm of the wealthiest consumer tech company on the planet?

oh wait...

Apple doesn't make a profit in China?

• Reply 102 of 394
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I don't think it's hypocritical.  Tim speaking out has an impact on Indiana.  Tim speaking out is not going to have any impact in Saudi Arabia.  Only bad things could come from that choice.  Tim knows that, and that's why he doesn't speak out, it's not hypocritical to pick the battles you can win.

• Reply 103 of 394
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

again you have failed to show ANY PROOF that Cook is hurting Apple.  

NONE. ZITCH. ZERO. ZIP. 

IMO, you should keep your mouth shut until you have proof.

I love it how people who seem to know little about Apple's history keep banging on the fact that Mr Cook is leading the company in its most prosperous times, when it is more than clear that such a success is mainly thanks to ideas and things that SJ, and NOT Cook, set up years ago. I still remember Sculley's years, which were undoubtedly the best for Apple back then (again in the wake of the SJ/Woz creations), until it all came crashing down due to product bloat and lack of innovation.

Remember, sog35: it may take a while for a huge company to run out of prosperity - but when it does, it is way harder to recover. Let's just hope Mr Activist Cook does not forget that; because we no longer have a SJ to save us.

• Reply 104 of 394
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

This. There's too much binary thinking going on. I can criticize one decision he's made, it doesn't mean I hate the man. But I don't think he's doing Apple a favor here, and the action is hypocritical.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin Luther King, Jr.   Either hold your moral principles universally or not at all.

• Reply 105 of 394

Let's give a failed CEO that gave the world an HP iPod, a crack at running the country. Who's with me?

• Reply 106 of 394
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I love it how people who seem to know little about Apple's history keep banging on the fact that Mr Cook is leading the company in its most prosperous times, when it is more than clear that such a success is mainly thanks to ideas and things that SJ, and NOT Cook, set up years ago. I still remember Sculley's years, which were undoubtedly the best for Apple back then (again in the wake of the SJ/Woz creations), until it all came crashing down due to product bloat and lack of innovation.

Remember, sog35: it may take a while for a huge company to run out of prosperity - but when it does, it is way harder to recover. Let's just hope Mr Activist Cook does not forget that; because we no longer have a SJ to save us.

Actually I think most people who know Apple's history would acknowledge that a very large part of Apple's success is down to Mr Cook's running of operations.  That's what got Apple back in the black in the first place, many years ago, and what enabled them to excel and to continue to excel.

Steve Jobs didn't invent Apple's products on his own, but Tim Cook spearheaded the lean machine that is Apple's operations on his own.  Tim Cooks genius is on a par with Steve Jobs, even if it is a bit drier and less interesting for most people.

• Reply 107 of 394
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

Hypocrisy is a charge to be leveled at someone when you disagree with their views but can't or prefer not to actually say why. If you can't explain why they are wrong, charge them with being inconsistent. It's distracting, and most people won't notice that you never explained your own views on the matter.

• Reply 108 of 394
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Tim is a US citizen and voter in the US. Not in China.
  • Reply 109 of 394
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Equality under the law is one thing but to demand equality for every deviant behavior is asinine. You have to draw the line somewhere or the next thing you will have is child molesters asking for their sexual rights. In a nut shell this is the big problem with the gay rights movement - where does this nonsense stop.

That you conflate homosexuals with child molesters is risible.

• Reply 110 of 394

A failure in business and a failure in politics.  All Carly has left is sniping from the sidelines.  Poor thing...

• Reply 111 of 394
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    atlapple wrote: »

Apple doesn't make a profit in China?

Of course they do.

It was all part of my jab.

:D
  • Reply 112 of 394
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So your bible knowelge comes from a tv show.  Good job son.

bible "knowledge": now there's an oxymoron for you...

• Reply 113 of 394
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

regardless of the circumstances you will stand up for your perception of "justice." He would do that even at a loss to himself, like potentially being ousted at Apple if he were to bring backlash and loss on the company and shareholders. The fact that he won't, shows just how deep his cause is to him. 

The shareholders would immediately sue him if he did speak out against China. I think he is smart enough to know that by carelessly harming Apple in criticizing China, he would be breaking the spirit of the law. Tim would rather not break the law.

Romans 13:1-7 states, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

Not that I believe any of that.

• Reply 114 of 394
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Exactly. I've said numerous times in the past that I would prefer that Apple were not political at all, but that hasn't been the case. They have chosen to speak out on a number of issues, and that is of course their choice, but it also opens them up to criticism or to accusations of hypocrisy, as we see in this case.

while there may be smoke where there's fire, it does not follow that there is hypocrisy where there are accusations...

I find it amazing that everytime there is a story about the 'gay agenda' (/s) on AI, all these people who never post any other time come out of the closet and start throwing stones at glass houses.

• Reply 115 of 394
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    She's a hating kinda tuesday gal. Tim made a success of Apple while she completely f@cked up the once glorious HP. This chick will never be president or anything else of consequence. Who even cares about he opinion? Gally, I'll see you next week...Tuesday should work for you.
  • Reply 116 of 394
    portcityportcity Posts: 68member
    freerange wrote: »
    It is people like yourself that are the problem in this world. Instead of having a sense of humanity and compassion you crawl into a man made scripture from centuries ago. Fundamentalists have the same basic flaw, regardless of the religion, in that you follow some ancient scribe instead of thinking for yourselves.

That so called "ancient script" is what guides morality for all humanity. For example, you wouldn't even know that murder was wrong if it were not stated in the Bible. So yes, Cook's statement was hypocritical because he is scared to say the samething in China and the Middle East.
  • Reply 117 of 394
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

I find it amazing that everytime there is a story about the 'gay agenda' (/s) on AI, all these people who never post any other time come out of the closet and start throwing stones at glass houses.

That's because I use a special filter that scans new topics, and I only get notifications when certain words are triggered, such as gay, liberal, Android user, poor, poverty, Obama and a few other words.

• Reply 118 of 394
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by portcity View Post

That so called "ancient script" is what guides morality for all humanity. For example, you wouldn't even know that murder was wrong if it were not stated in the Bible. 

Everyone knew that murder was wrong before Moses received the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai. At that time there was no Bible either.

• Reply 119 of 394
    What would happen if the Westboro Baptist cult order a cake from a gay baker saying "I hate...." would the LGBT defend the gay bakers right to deny service? I would hope so.

"This is a new American of tolerance, another vacuous word define by relativist whose only absolutes are the denial of any other reality except their own." Rivi Zachariah

We live a new America where Judeo-Christian beliefs are concert hate speech by the elite left.
  • Reply 120 of 394
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Fiorina would make a perfect presidential running mate for Ted Cruz. I can think of some great slogans for their campaign, but none of them are fit to print here.