Apple to show 'the future of iOS and OS X' at WWDC June 8-12

Comments

• Reply 41 of 167
    steevesteeve Posts: 1member

This seems so clear it compelled me to join. "Epicenter" - Google it. It's very specifically a geologic/earthquake term, and the graphic is all overlapping circles. I can't think of a better-positioned company than Apple to provide a vertically integrated earthquake detection grid for anyone with an iOS device who wants to opt in. See very recent news on precisely this:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/10/8382175/earthquake-early-warning-smartphone-gps-accelerometer

• Reply 42 of 167

Regardless of all the rumors and speculation about what the logo and tagline mean, we are still faced with one undeniable fact about this summer:

All we'll hear about from WWDC on are news articles about Apple/iOS/iPhone. This will continue all summer long starting with the iOS 9 Beta releases followed by the "leaked" images of the next iPhone. Apple will dominate tech news for several months up until the iPhone actually gets released. Followed by even more articles. then the holiday sales figures. In between that there's also the new iPad.

Seriously, this is the worst time of the year for Apple haters. They basically OWN tech news for 7 months out of the year (June/WWDC until Christmas).

• Reply 43 of 167

The TV is considered the epicenter of your living room and entertainment at home. It seems obvious to me whatever is coming with the new Apple TV is at the heart of the announcement here and will tie a number of things together, both within the ecosystem and digital entertainment. 

EDIT: Could also be making a connected home hint. From the Apple TV at the center out through your other devices to the watch (circles for watch apps)

• Reply 44 of 167
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The TV is considered the epicenter of your living room and entertainment at home. It seems obvious to me whatever is coming with the new Apple TV is at the heart of the announcement here and will tie a number of things together, both within the ecosystem and digital entertainment. 

I think so too. Whatever they have find for Apple TV they have been sitting on for a few years so I expect it to be great.
  • Reply 45 of 167
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's both an excuse and an explanation ... hence iOS. I know as I am sure you do, tons of folks who now use an iPad instead of an old Windows box as all they do is email and browse the web. That was the genius of iOS to start with. Mac users were a bit more tech savvy I think back in the day and far fewer too. Today with Macs selling like hot cakes Apple do now have a similar problem of morons using them to be sure. Last week I had to help out a woman who had multiple (and different) entries in her Keychain for the same sites, thought the only way to find her own web site was to enter key words in Google and complained her internet was down but hadn't plugged her AE back in after her teenagers had taken it out of the loop so they could port forward on the Verizon modem to play network games on an X-Box. I suggested she bought an iPad! :)

Surely the keychain issue is a bug, the searching is a result of a unified toolbar ( and therefore UX) the the rest is down to bad teenagers.
  • Reply 46 of 167
    Either they're going to 'MacPro' the design of the Apple TV from the rounded cornered square box design OR the logo represents the change from the box with rounded corners design of their app icons as seen on legacy iPhones and iPods to a circular design found on current Mac OS X and Apple Watch icons. OR they could just be representing both imprints in one design since this is about both platforms.
  • Reply 47 of 167
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by prokip View Post

Why does it have to cost so much?

That is cheap.   When I went 8 years ago, and 7 years before that, it was about the same cost, and the $ is worth less today.  They give you food, and all sorts of snacks, and entertainment on some days, in addition to the conference, which is invaluable.  Hopefully I'll get selected as my boss wants me to attend again.

• Reply 48 of 167
    Epicenter is an interesting choice of word.

If a new Apple TV is to be announced at WWDC it would fit the "epicenter" branding if the new ATV is positioned as a hub for your home with HomeKit, etc.
  • Reply 49 of 167
    The tagline is ominous. And, I assume, well considered given Apple's attention to detail. I do hope that we see the introduction of apps (i.e., games) for a new Apple Tv.

For another example of this extreme attention to detail, see this: http://q10a1.blogspot.com/2015/02/apple-and-detail.html
  • Reply 50 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Jesus, Apple has been busy. Blows my mind, the stunning stupidity of those that imply they've been "coasting" or "lazy". I don't remember a time of such constant, relentless change in all aspects of the company and to so many product lines, both software and hardware.
  • Reply 51 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    danielsw wrote: »

So glad you don't work for Apple.

Let's see your contribution. It better be great.
  • Reply 52 of 167
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

It's interesting that it is 'about the future of iOS and OS X' and not 'the future of OS X and iOS'. Cleary iOS became the prime focus for Apple.

So it looks like the future is a phone + a watch.

Simply amazing.

• Reply 53 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mr o wrote: »
    I have a modest wish for Craig Federighi:

Just update all the icons of OSX to rounded squares and I will be a happy man :))

One more thing: Replace the eagle stamp with the iOS mail logo.

Noooooooo! Highly differentiated application icons make more sense on the desktop. I'd not want to look at an entire screen of subtly different rounded squares.
  • Reply 54 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Noooooooo! Highly differentiated application icons make more sense on the desktop. I'd not want to look at an entire screen of subtly different rounded squares.

Why does that make more sense? The icons will still be differentiated in ther actual design, they don't have to have a multitude of shapes. Thats always been my gripe with the dock- looks so messy. Different sizes, styles, perspectives, etc. I've love if they unified the shape like iOS. Makes it easier for the brain to process, not more difficult. Of course there will be bitching and whining, but I think its a good step to take in order to unify the apps to users coming from iOS. 

• Reply 55 of 167
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

App Icons have no meaning any more.   Or any file icon.  There is nothing to tell you that it is an app, or a data file, or whatever, unless the developer made some sort of hint.   In the old days, apps were diamonds (with your app icon overlayed), data were "documents", again with your app icon image overlayed, etc.    There was method to the madness and it worked.   Would be nice if a new system could evolve so that the icon itself had meaning.

Sure, some "documents" have the turned over corner today to tell you it is a document.  But not all.  I am looking at a large folder full of all sorts of data files/documents and only some do. Others could just as well be an app icon if I didn't get a clue from the filename (which in my case shows the extension, but that is often turned off).

• Reply 56 of 167
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member

Well, it probably costs more than $1,599/person for Apple to put on the WWDC, so they're probably charging less than it really costs them.

And any generic industry conference is usually in that price range so it seems pretty typical.

• Reply 57 of 167
    mehranmehran Posts: 53member

Does who cannot afford it should wait and have all the sessions online soon after the events.  The real benefits of this critical annual event is to network and have the opportunity to get involved in Q&A and hear what is coming down the road in person (most people learn and appreciate better when they hear it from a person directly).

Lastly, I recall Microsoft sessions where far more expensive and one still had to pay thousands for the development tools and for upgrades including OS upgrades; compare that with the minimal fee iOS developers pay.

• Reply 58 of 167
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I mostly agree.

But my 2013 MacMini takes significantly longer to load since i upgraded to Yosemite.  It use to take 5 seconds, now it takes 10 seconds.  May not seem like much but if the next OS X takes 30 seconds I'll be pissed since I paid big $ for the Apple SSD for quick bootups

Sog.. I had this exact same problem when I updated my Macbook.  Found the fix for it.  Took only a few seconds, and my macbook was back to normal.

Try this out:

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-slow-boot-up-after-os-x-10.10.3-yosemite-update-heres-how/

edit: I think I misread your original post. The link is to resolve a problem brought on by the recent Yosemite update.  Sounds like yours was from an OS upgrade.  Still, some may find this useful.

• Reply 59 of 167
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Will Apple announce that it's improving the dreadful open source spell checker it uses in OS X?

The lookup for misspelled words is worse that those in late 1980s DOS spell checkers. Leave one letter out or transpose two letters and it's often clueless. And its vocabulary is so pitiful, even words that regularly appear in newspaper headlines (such as exceptionalism) aren't included. It's vocabulary is that of a junior high student.

I don't blame Hunspell for that. They have very little money and they're Hungarian. I blame the cheapskates at Apple who, sitting on $150 billion in cash, refuse to spend a pittance to buy the rights to a world-class vocabulary or to teach that spell checker basic English spelling rules. OS X's spell checker is so stupid, it treats any two legitimately spelled words as also correctly spelled if hyphenated. Sorry Apple, but words such as "quickly-go" are never right in English.
  • Reply 60 of 167
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I smell a new ? TV with round icons. Can you smell what the ? is cooking?