Apple to show 'the future of iOS and OS X' at WWDC June 8-12

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    Am I the only one who thinks the taglines are a bit ominous?

Why ominous?
  • Reply 122 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Logo looks like an Apple TV.

Not sure what the circles are for.  A round watch?  lol.

mac pro

• Reply 123 of 167
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member

Isn't anyone going to mention how exciting this probably is for Gene Munster? Apple may finally treat television as something more than a hobby. Possibly not exactly how he (Gene) thought it would emerge, but a TV based device at the center! I will be happy of they manage to get a volume control working from the Apple Remote.

• Reply 124 of 167
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Aren't we overdue for OS XI?

Ask Tallest Skill.  He / She seems to have mentioned OS XI more than any other poster I've seen.

• Reply 125 of 167
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I mostly agree.

But my 2013 MacMini takes significantly longer to load since i upgraded to Yosemite.  It use to take 5 seconds, now it takes 10 seconds.  May not seem like much but if the next OS X takes 30 seconds I'll be pissed since I paid big $ for the Apple SSD for quick bootups

When you start up your Mac after a shutdown, all kinds of connections have to be rebuilt and connected, specifically these days to the internet***.

As that is happening, a vast number of UNIX daemons are being reloaded, synced and a daily script (and possibly a monthly script as well) is being run to clean out it's cache, temp files and crud. The daily/monthly scripts are automatically set to run around 3:00 in the morning (last time I looked a few years back) on a hibernating Mac. If it can't run the scripts at that time, then it is forced to do so the next time the Mac boots.

*** I've been using Little Snitch for years to monitor outgoing/incoming connections due to being stuck on a really bad Internet connection before moving a year ago to a location with broadband. I have many clients still stuck on ~2mb DSL and when I have their computers here for repairs and upgrades, when returning their Macs it's night and day when starting up.

Note: It has occurred to me that with Yosemite, a number of the scripts or start-up routines have been put behind the start-up screen, rather than running after the desktop appears. If that's the case, and I'm only guessing that it is... I would sincerely hope that Microsoft copies this feature pronto!

Every single PC user I know that does daily start-ups (all of them!)... start clicking around as soon as the desktop appears and wonder why everything is sooooo sloooow! I have to tell them it's because the PC isn't quite ready yet and it's still starting services (daemons), checking for updates... doing all kinds of disk-intensive stuff concurrently... that's why. (Besides being a ___!)

I suggest turning the PC on, logging in... and then going to the bathroom, water your plants, get some coffee, make a sandwich, mow the lawn... then when you come back everything should be ready to go to get some "real work done" <-- /s. On a Mac: getting a coffee will suffice as wait time ;)

---

I have to deal with this "problem" every day in obsessed "energy-saving Germany*.

People are constantly being told in the media how much they are wasting on their power bills by not shutting off their electronics and leaving them on standby instead. I don't think there's a more dishonest, one-sided BS, misconception statement in all of tech(!) Especially when it comes to computers and specifically Macs with hibernation that actually works; as opposed to the Windows XP/7 problems of the past.

I went apoplectic a couple of years ago when a popular TV program suggested that people should get power strips and plug all of their related electronics into it (stereo, TV, etc. into one; computer, monitor, printer, router, into another) and do a full power shutdown every night, and then flip it on again when they come home from work. There's probably not a worse piece of advice I think I've ever read or come across!!! There's many analogies, but the best I can give is it's like throwing a haymaker punch to the chin to put your stuff to sleep... and waking it all back up with an Ice-Bucket Challenge. Just: NO! :no:

Shutting down a UNIX OS that goes into hibernation mode is foolhardy. The only time I shut down OS X, Linux or FreeBSD is rebooting to load a new kernel.

^^^ THIS ^^^.
  • Reply 126 of 167
    http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-slow-boot-up-after-os-x-10.10.3-yosemite-update-heres-how/

The above is VERY GOOD advice and good at fixing all manner of problems you might be experiencing!

Only thing to add is doing a Permissions Repair.

(Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Select your start-up VOLUME (Macintosh HD in most cases) -> under the large blank area click "Repair disk Permissions". If you don't see that list, be sure your in First Aid (the row across the top of the list)***.

*** The above is "added detail" because many people search for solutions but have to dig for the full instructions. And of course as we all know here, people are to scared to death of searching at apple.com /s.
  • Reply 127 of 167
    sog35 wrote: »
    macapfel wrote: »
    It's interesting that it is 'about the future of iOS and OS X' and not 'the future of OS X and iOS'. Cleary iOS became the prime focus for Apple.

80% of their profits come from iOS

Good observation...also, when IBM was interested in partnering with Apple, iOS is where the touching point was... Currently iOS reminds me more of Mac OS 6 than anything else... and Mac OS 7 was where Mac OS really got exciting. So. maybe iOS 9 is where the OS gets some real hair on its chest...
  • Reply 128 of 167
    The more that goes on line the better for those who live far far away in that mysterious place called 'The Rest of the World'.Probably where most of the customers and users are. Can't wait for my iWatch!
  • Reply 129 of 167
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    When you start up your Mac after a shutdown, all kinds of connections have to be rebuilt and connected, specifically these days to the internet***.

As that is happening, a vast number of UNIX daemons are being reloaded, synced and a daily script (and possibly a monthly script as well) is being run to clean out it's cache, temp files and crud. The daily/monthly scripts are automatically set to run around 3:00 in the morning (last time I looked a few years back) on a hibernating Mac. If it can't run the scripts at that time, then it is forced to do so the next time the Mac boots.

*** I've been using Little Snitch for years to monitor outgoing/incoming connections due to being stuck on a really bad Internet connection before moving a year ago to a location with broadband. I have many clients still stuck on ~2mb DSL and when I have their computers here for repairs and upgrades, when returning their Macs it's night and day when starting up.

Note: It has occurred to me that with Yosemite, a number of the scripts or start-up routines have been put behind the start-up screen, rather than running after the desktop appears. If that's the case, and I'm only guessing that it is... I would sincerely hope that Microsoft copies this feature pronto!

Every single PC user I know that does daily start-ups (all of them!)... start clicking around as soon as the desktop appears and wonder why everything is sooooo sloooow! I have to tell them it's because the PC isn't quite ready yet and it's still starting services (daemons), checking for updates... doing all kinds of disk-intensive stuff concurrently... that's why. (Besides being a ___!)

I suggest turning the PC on, logging in... and then going to the bathroom, water your plants, get some coffee, make a sandwich, mow the lawn... then when you come back everything should be ready to go to get some "real work done" <-- /s. On a Mac: getting a coffee will suffice as wait time ;)

---

I have to deal with this "problem" every day in obsessed "energy-saving Germany*.

People are constantly being told in the media how much they are wasting on their power bills by not shutting off their electronics and leaving them on standby instead. I don't think there's a more dishonest, one-sided BS, misconception statement in all of tech(!) Especially when it comes to computers and specifically Macs with hibernation that actually works; as opposed to the Windows XP/7 problems of the past.

I went apoplectic a couple of years ago when a popular TV program suggested that people should get power strips and plug all of their related electronics into it (stereo, TV, etc. into one; computer, monitor, printer, router, into another) and do a full power shutdown every night, and then flip it on again when they come home from work. There's probably not a worse piece of advice I think I've ever read or come across!!! There's many analogies, but the best I can give is it's like throwing a haymaker punch to the chin to put your stuff to sleep... and waking it all back up with an Ice-Bucket Challenge. Just: NO! :no:
    ^^^ THIS ^^^.

Question, my Mac keeps restarting at around 2 am u have to shut down so it doesn't wake me up. Do you have any idea what may the cause. Because it is vexing. Thanks
  • Reply 130 of 167
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Amen to that! It's only progress when it all works flawlessly. Photos for Mac? = C+. Pages for Mac = B-. Keynote for Mac = F. The QT universe = F. Keychain Cross-Device = F (The 1Password approach so obviously superior). And, my most hated....... iMovie for Mac = E and without question, IMHO, the worst interface Apple's ever shipped. You know, some of us still produce content on our Apple devices.
  • Reply 131 of 167
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Sorry, but that's gotta be one of the uglier WWDC logo designs in recent memory.

That aside, I'd love to see a new user interface for iOS.

An alternative direction away from the row of icons (keep a 'classic view' option).

The UI in it's current state is just not very usable in a 100+ app world. 

• Reply 132 of 167
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Mac OS X San Andreas! :D  
    Now who could find fault with that? [groan]
  • Reply 133 of 167
    idrey wrote: »
    Question, my Mac keeps restarting at around 2 am u have to shut down so it doesn't wake me up. Do you have any idea what may the cause. Because it is vexing. Thanks

Not really the place to do tech support, and that question normally is a starting point for a few added questions from me before I could truly help... but here goes after a quick search:

1) make sure you don't have a scheduled restart set up... http://heresthethingblog.com/2012/10/08/set-mac-automatically-start-shut/

2) How to fix a "randomly" rebooting Mac (don't let the OS in the name fool ya... many trouble-shooting tips are cross-versioned): http://www.midnightryder.com/how-to-fix-a-randomly-rebooting-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion/

3) As I said, so many users are averse to checking at Apple... multiple discussions and solution tips: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5771125

*** My personal tip would be to a) unplug all of your devices, then b) rebuild your Spotlight database as linked above.

Considering you didn't search for your problem all that well I can only assume your relatively new on a Mac. There's certain "tools" out there that could help, but I'm not going to recommend one in fear that you could/would do something truly more disastrous to your Mac than simply restarting and waking you in the morning... 8-)
  • Reply 134 of 167
    The "epicenter" of the image is Apple TV. A logical conclusion is that a new Apple TV will be the epicenter of all of Apple's devices, and of its customers' lives.

We may well see how PrimeSense 3D sensor technology will be used, plus support for 3rd party apps on Apple TV plus greatly expanded HomeKit support and products plus tighter integration of iOS, OS X, Apple TV, Apple Watch software.
  • Reply 135 of 167
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I don't that Apple and the technology is quite ready for that yet ...

But from an app developer / design / programming perspective, things like extensions, handoff, multiple cross-platform targets, shared code -- we're moving in that direction.

We're more likely moving in the direction of 3 oses sharing common lower level code.
  • Reply 136 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by prokip View Post

Why does it have to cost so much?

Basically to assure actual developers and associates important to Apple only attend.  I develop primarily enhancements for Adobe products and attend their MAX Conference.  I just booked it the other day for myself.  The cost is $1295.

• Reply 137 of 167
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Better hope there isn't an earthquake around this time, or that tagline will live in infamy...
  • Reply 138 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick29 View Post

Better hope there isn't an earthquake around this time, or that tagline will live in infamy...

Yeah. That would not be good. Severe earthquakes are not generally something we joke about out here.

• Reply 139 of 167
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Not really the place to do tech support, and that question normally is a starting point for a few added questions from me before I could truly help... but here goes after a quick search:

1) make sure you don't have a scheduled restart set up... http://heresthethingblog.com/2012/10/08/set-mac-automatically-start-shut/

2) How to fix a "randomly" rebooting Mac (don't let the OS in the name fool ya... many trouble-shooting tips are cross-versioned): http://www.midnightryder.com/how-to-fix-a-randomly-rebooting-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion/

3) As I said, so many users are averse to checking at Apple... multiple discussions and solution tips: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5771125

*** My personal tip would be to a) unplug all of your devices, then b) rebuild your Spotlight database as linked above.

Considering you didn't search for your problem all that well I can only assume your relatively new on a Mac. There's certain "tools" out there that could help, but I'm not going to recommend one in fear that you could/would do something truly more disastrous to your Mac than simply restarting and waking you in the morning... 8-)

Thank you I'll try these. I did do a few things to it, but didn't solve the problem completely. After I installed mountain lion it started doing the random restart. It would do it like every four hour while on sleep mode. I looked online found a few things tried them and got it down to once a day. I even called apple but no fix. These links look very helpful thank you. And yes I am pretty new with Mac I only had Mac for about two years so is a learning prosses, I appreciate the help and time you took to get me the info ????
  • Reply 140 of 167
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Severe earthquakes are not generally something we joke about out here.

They don't crack you up and bring the house down? It seems like they would but people are probably divided over it.