Apple 'unlikely' to launch new 4-inch iPhone model this year, insider says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

IF this report turns out to be true then obviously Apple has data that shows the 4" model isn't a big percentage of sales. Personally I thought I was going to HATE a larger phone but I've been using the 4.7" iPhone 6 since October and there's no way I would ever go back go anything smaller. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Heck, I've been wishing I went for the Plus!

• Reply 22 of 95
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mike1 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that the 5S will stay current in its exact form for another year. I would expect minor changes that would include the NFC chip. Apple will want that in as many handsets as possible.
    yes it is. Why would Apple want to change something right before they discontinue it? 5S is phasing out in a year to be next to older sibblings in Apple museum.
  • Reply 23 of 95
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The 5S is no slouch. It has everything one needs for apple pay (or does it?) and the apple watch. I think this plan actually makes sense.

No, it does not make sense. The 5s made sense last year. This year, it is too far behind the pack to demand a $99 price point.

And no, the 4.7" iPhone 6 will not drop into the $99 price point.

Apple very much needs to spec bump either the 5s or the 5c, with upgraded internals equivalent to an iPhone 6, to address the $99 price point this year.

• Reply 24 of 95
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

The fact that sales of the iPhone 6 remain string means that there won't be a successor this year?   That is basically his logic...

Apple does not work like that.  They cannibalize their product lines themselves all the time.   Don't know if there will be a new 4" or not this year but the logic is wrong.

• Reply 25 of 95
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

To me the Watch makes larger screen phones all the more compelling. I'm actually surprised Apple hasn't done more to make this connection. I'll get a bigger phone with amazing battery life that I can keep in my handbag or briefcase because notifications and quick interactions are readily available on my watch. I don't need a 5" screen to view/respond to a notification. I'll save my 5" screen (and battery life) for when I want to browse the internet, watch movies, play games, etc.

Of course. The key words here are "to me." You have a preference for devices in sizes that fit your lifestyle. But while you like a phone you can keep in a handbag or a briefcase, I generally carry neither. Apple might want to offer a wide range of sizes, including the ones you like.

And just dreaming here...imagine a watch that can fully function by accessing your apps via wifi...and "call back" to your iPhone wherever it is or software running on your mac, or on an apple server anywhere. Then all you need is a little help to be sure you have wifi the watch can always access. How small can that be? Maybe it can be added to the watch...when batteries get much better. Or hide it in a watchband?  

Yes, I'm just making this up.

• Reply 26 of 95
    r210r210 Posts: 13member
    I'd like to see a "headless" iPhone. One that has a no or basic screen only used for system updates and maintenance. The Battery would last forever and it would be paired with the Apple Watch as the main user interface component. The "phone" would only leave your pocket/purse to charge up and maintain, and for a private call or similar task.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

I wonder if Apples apparent slowness in progressing Apple Pay outside the USA might be a reason for not upgrading a 4" iPhones to one with full Apple pay?

Apple seems to got into a position of having 3 or 4 different models in most of their product ranges: 3 Apple watches (but in 2 sizes, so could be classed as 6); 3 iMacs in 21" 27" & 27" 5K retina, 3 or 4 laptops with 11" & 13" Macbook Airs, 13" & 15" MacBooks and the new 12" Macbook; and 4 iPhones with 6 Plus, 6 5S and 5C. Looking forward, it does seem that there could be at least three options for the 5S and 5C: drop either the 5S or 5C and leave whichever is left as the entry model at a lower price; keep both the 5S and 5C, or replace both.  I think the key issue will be Apples' view on how many of their customers want Apple Pay on  a 4" phone (as opposed to via the Apple watch). So they could keep either the 5S or the 5C and have a new 4" model.

My iPhone 5 is due for replacement as it is at the end of its 2 year contract. The battery is failing. The Apple genius did various tests and then informed me that the battery was OK (it is not). I have considered a battery replacement or a new 6. For me and others the 6 is too big. If Apple brought out a new 4" with Apple pay I would purchase immediately. If however this does not happen soon then I shall go for a battery replacement and hopefully keep my 5 going for another 2 years. 

• Reply 28 of 95
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fh-ace View Post

Think that this is a mistake. There are many people who like the 4" form factor that already have a 5S who will be ready for upgrades this fall. I know my wife and a few of our friends will not be upgrading to a larger size screen so it seems like lost sales for Apple.

Key word is "few". Few don't make up for the majority. You have to move on sometime and eventually you'll have to replace your device to the better larger version. You'll get used to it.

• Reply 29 of 95
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

Maybe for the 2016 lineup...

• Reply 30 of 95

Let me translate:

Apple 'will never' launch a new 4-inch iPhone model, period.

• Reply 31 of 95

My 4S is showing signs of going south, so I'd love an up-to-date state of the art 4" iPhone from Apple. Not a parts left over after thought. 

Make the 6s range a three model range. 6s, 6s Plus and 6s mini! 

Then introduce the colorful 6c range based on the older 5s tech under the hood.

• Reply 32 of 95
    r210 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a "headless" iPhone. One that has a no or basic screen only used for system updates and maintenance. The Battery would last forever and it would be paired with the Apple Watch as the main user interface component. The "phone" would only leave your pocket/purse to charge up and maintain, and for a private call or similar task.

For the vast majority of things one uses their iPhone for a tiny watch screen is useless. Unless you want to speak everything out loud via dictation, often not a good option in many situations, you reduce a very expensive iPhone and watch combo to much less functionality that exists now
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Like I've been saying for months.

We won't be seeing a top end 4 inch phone or a round Apple Watch.

Sept new line up will be:

iPhone 6S+ $299

iPhone 6S  $199

iPhone 6C - $99 - basically iPhone6 in plastic - 4.7 inch screen

iPhone 5S - $0

What is still in the air is an iPhone Edition.  

I could see a solid gold iPhone 6S+ Edition selling for $5k

I would rather the 6C be a 4" screen with Apple pay and other 6 features in the smaller form factor.  Price $0  The 4.7" market is covered with the regular 6. 

• Reply 34 of 95
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

I seriously doubt that the 5S will stay current in its exact form for another year. I would expect minor changes that would include the NFC chip. Apple will want that in as many handsets as possible.

Based on their previous effort in this regard, the 5C got some upgrades over the 5, but no new functionality. Unless they future proofed the 5S to accept an NFC chip and antenna, then I don't expect it will get one if it requires any major reengineering as it goes into the existing 5C plastic case which was likely engineered to transition the 5S into the free phone when the time came. 

?Pay is not a serious concern for Apple until at least the Fall of 2016 when all the merchants, and banks will all be able to support it. There's no rush to offer ?Pay at this point seemingly evidenced by the slow approach Apple has to signing up both merchants and banks. 

This actually makes sense to me. The 5S is a great phone and a good investment, even next year when the 6S comes out, especially as a "free" phone. I'd like to see an 4" 6 mini this year, but I can also believe that Apple's strategy is to introduce a complete family of phones with the 7 -- 4", 4.7", 5.5". That way the top tier 4" phone can drop down to the free phone over 3 years, just like the 5c will. The only reason this doesn't work as well for me is that it means Apple will be offering a premium screen size for both the mid-tier and premier phones. The 4" screen seemed a great way to differentiate the price points.

• Reply 35 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No, it does not make sense. The 5s made sense last year. This year, it is too far behind the pack to demand a $99 price point.

Apple very much needs to spec bump either the 5s or the 5c, with upgraded internals equivalent to an iPhone 6, to address the $99 price point this year.

This is where Apple marketing people know better than a tech forum commentator. Why? because there will be iPhone 6 at $99 subsidized either as it is now or rebadged in color polycarbon. 

I said it before and now: it is not simple "upgraded internals equivalent to an iPhone 6", but it is a redesign of a product where new antenna, new board, new chip, new fucking everything to be presented in a 4" chassis. Apple won't go through all those sh.t to sell a device at discount instead of no-tweaking manufacturing process to keep making iPhone 6 as it is or just minimal tweak for polycarbon chassis.

• Reply 36 of 95
    Quote:

You don't wear phones, they're not jewelry. A solid gold iPhone would be stupid.

You meant Kardashians?

• Reply 37 of 95
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

NEVER going to happen with the 5 anything. Get over it already. Move on. The 6 and 6 Plus will be the one with the best hardware. The lower models will never get them. The 4" screen is dead. Thankfully.

• Reply 38 of 95
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Sept new line up will be:

iPhone 6S+ $299

iPhone 6S  $199

iPhone 6C - $99 - basically iPhone6 in plastic - 4.7 inch screen

iPhone 5S - $0

That does make sense, as I think the 5c showed that having a clear delineation between last year's model & the new models helps to up-sell, at least during the "s" year as the physical design of the new phones usually is the same.  That distinction was default last year with the iPhone 6/6+ as they were visibly different across the board.

Even with expected new features in the iPhone 6s/6s+ (e.g. force touch, better camera, new CPU, ...), if the design remains the same as the iPhone 6 (now available at $99 USD on contract), there will be many that simply get that older model.  Putting "last year's phone" into a new case material will address that.

Whether Apple should make that new case also 4" is what I think most debate.  I could see Apple doing either, although it is less $$ to keep the 4.7" size.

• Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Based on their previous effort in this regard, the 5C got some upgrades over the 5, but no new functionality. Unless they future proofed the 5S to accept an NFC chip and antenna, then I don't expect it will get one if it requires any major reengineering as it goes into the existing 5C plastic case which was likely engineered to transition the 5S into the free phone when the time came. 

?Pay is not a serious concern for Apple until at least the Fall of 2016 when all the merchants, and banks will all be able to support it. There's no rush to offer ?Pay at this point seemingly evidenced by the slow approach Apple has to signing up both merchants and banks. 

This actually makes sense to me. The 5S is a great phone and a good investment, even next year when the 6S comes out, especially as a "free" phone. I'd like to see an 4" 6 mini this year, but I can also believe that Apple's strategy is to introduce a complete family of phones with the 7 -- 4", 4.7", 5.5". That way the top tier 4" phone can drop down to the free phone over 3 years, just like the 5c will. The only reason this doesn't work as well for me is that it means Apple will be offering a premium screen size for both the mid-tier and premier phones. The 4" screen seemed a great way to differentiate the price points.

5C didn't get upgraded but include additional radio band for China networks. Maybe an upgrade to the thickness because it's thicker than iP5 /s. As many people think Apple should include NFC in current 5S for Apple Pay, I say No, they shouldn't. They release Apple Watch to be compatible with older models and if people really want Apple Pay, consider an Apple Watch add on. That's how Apple want to play. Beside, Apple Pay is not that big now to justify for the redesign of 5S. 

I like to see how Apple price the new "user wishful" 4" iPhone in the line up beside 4.7" and 5.5". There's no way they will do $99 subsidized for a brand new design 4" phone. My conclusion: there's no iPhone 4" ever. Android dropped it, no one else makes it. Apple follow the same direction.

• Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:

exactly.

Apple will not allow the $99 phone to canibalize their flagships

I'm 50/50 on that. Based on history, Apple may just be okay to have 6S and 6 look exactly the same. Making plastic 6 may just cost extra on chassis design (antenna, compatible with curved glass edge...) vs just sell the 6 without tweaking manufacturing process. Remember, costs of BOM between polycarbon and aluminum are not that different.

who knows, Apple may just make 6S and 6S+ with kick ass specs to sell or minor tweak to external design to distinguish with older model such as: matching color of antenna, thinner antenna bands or gold ring of Touch ID...