Apple says working on Apple Watch preorders in email to early-bird customers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stanhope View Post

That the watch is physically available in store at Maxfield's on Friday to me speaks to an elitist approach that seems concurrent with Angela's oversight. I still say FIRE HER! The complaints about this launch compared to those who favor is is akin to lightning and the lightning bug

I've pre-ordered many Apple products online and I think this is the first one I'll ever get on launch day. I'm absolutely delighted with the process.

• Reply 42 of 112
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stanhope View Post

That the watch is physically available in store at Maxfield's on Friday to me speaks to an elitist approach that seems concurrent with Angela's oversight. I still say FIRE HER! The complaints about this launch compared to those who favor is is akin to lightning and the lightning bug

Why don't we fire you instead. Apple is entering into the fashion world and it's more important to be in the fashion boutiques than at the Apple Store. You don't go after someone's job because there are supply constraints beyond anyone's control. You wouldn't like it if you were being faulted for something that you have ZERO control over. That would be like firing you from your job because Apple didn't deliver the watch on 4/24 like you had hoped....or the watch isn't in the stores you expected it to be in. You know to go into a boutique fashion store if you want the watch that badly. 

• Reply 43 of 112
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Is it? Apple haven't missed any estimated dispatch dates yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

This launch is pretty bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Is it? Apple haven't missed any estimated dispatch dates yet.

Just because Apple hasn't missed any ship dates yet doesn't mean they haven't severely mismanaged expectations.  Let's review:

- Apple Watch announced in September as coming "early 2015", leading many to believe "by March 31"

- During Apple's quarterly earnings call in late January, "early" was clarified to include the month of April

- March 9 event: announcement that Apple Watch starts shipping April 24, preorders start on April 10.  So not only April, but at the end of April.

- April 10 pre-order: Many people stay up late or wake up in the middle of the night to be among the first to order a Watch, only to find out that their delivery date is a 2-week range: April 24 - May 8

- Celebrities and other influential people in the fashion industry are "given" watches well before April 24.  Some even get custom bands that ordinary users - who have probably spent more money on Apple products in their lifetime than these celebrities have - cannot purchase.

- Some users who had 4-6 week estimate ranges are now getting theirs on or around April 24, even though they ordered later than other people who ordered very early and are still having to wait (ok, so this is because of a model mix issue, isn't the fault of the users who had 4-6 week estimates, but it's still a problem Apple should have foreseen).

- You cannot walk into an Apple Store and get one on April 24, but if you are lucky enough to live in one of a small handful of cities with ritzy launch partners like Selfridge's in London, you can walk in and get one on launch day.

So yes, I agree with ClemyNX that this launch is pretty bad.  Apple would give one set of expectations ("early 2015", "April 24"), then come back later with something else: "early 2015 includes April", then "April 24" becomes "April 24 - May 8" (and not during a presentation, but first mentioned on the day of ordering).  Meanwhile, celebrities are being gifted Apple Watches left and right, occasionally with custom bands that no one else can get.  None of this has ever happened in an iPhone launch.  People who got their iPhone orders in early with Apple's online store got their new phones on launch date, not within a previously-unannounced 2-week date range.  And they also weren't seeing celebrities showing off their shiny new iPhone 5, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, etc. pre-launch date, in some unreleased color that no one else can get.

Yes, I get that they need to seed the celebrities to get more people buying watches.  But for goodness sakes, why couldn't they have started that on April 24 or even May 1?

• Reply 44 of 112
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

After looking into why I didn't get this, the article implies it went out to everyone with the 2 week window from the 24th. It actually only seems to have gone to those who have yet to be charged and whose orders still say "Processing". Mine has been charged and moved to Preparing for Dispatch, hence no email.

Likewise. My order advanced to "preparing" late yesterday and I was emailed a shipping notice with a UPS tracking number very early this morning, PDT. I did not get the email shown here.

• Reply 45 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

I received an email from UPS at 10:26 p.m. last night that my 38 mm SS ML will arrive 4/24 between 2-4 p.m. I'm in Southen California; the watch ships from

Tennessee, which I believe is a big UPS hub.

I am also in So Cal. UPS tracking shows my order as being in Harrisburg PA, but I would not put too much stock in that being the real location of the package. From prior experience it seems that these hub cities for UPS and FedEx simply clear the customs paperwork, with the real merchandise drop-shipped from elsewhere.

• Reply 46 of 112
    clemynx wrote: »
    This launch is pretty bad.
    Warehouses full of unwanted/unsold merchandise is a bad launch(ask Samsung).
    A new $2Billion business is not too shabby.
  • Reply 47 of 112

I am also in So Cal. UPS tracking shows my order as being in Harrisburg PA, but I would not put too much stock in that being the real location of the package. From prior experience it seems that these hub cities for UPS and FedEx simply clear the customs paperwork, with the real merchandise drop-shipped from elsewhere.

I just received word from UPS that the second watch I ordered (42mm SS with black classic strap) is also coming tomorrow. This notice came 10 hours after the other watch notice. Both are coming from Tennessee. My past experience with UPS is that shipments do come from the location indicated because so the tracking info. I am just lucky/happy that I will have my swag tomorrow. Life is good.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    42mm steel, black classic buckle, order confirmed 12:12am on 4/10. Just changed over to Shipped this morning, scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

I just received word from UPS that the second watch I ordered (42mm SS with black classic strap) is also coming tomorrow. This notice came 10 hours after the other watch notice. Both are coming from Tennessee. My past experience with UPS is that shipments do come from the location indicated because so the tracking info. I am just lucky/happy that I will have my swag tomorrow. Life is good.

I'm not convinced that the tracking locations mean a whole lot for massive shipments of this kind until your package gets to your local distribution center. I remember watching one of my first-day iPad orders supposedly jumping back and forth between locations in the U.S. and China over a period of several days. It was kind of surreal. Of course it wasn't actually going anywhere, that was just the paperwork. Then it jumped from a hub city on the other side of the country to my front door.

• Reply 50 of 112
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    gonevw wrote: »

Other reddit users have pointed out that you need to use the phone number associated with the credit card it was charged to.

Thank you, I had been using the Ship To phone number. Tried the Billing phone number and it worked. Getting Sport tomorrow from Rialto (CA). I live about 45 minutes from there so it will probably ship late tonite or early tomorrow morning. That's why I haven't heard from Apple directly yet.
  • Reply 51 of 112
    I got this "Dear John..." email, too. My 12:04 order for s Space Grey Alum stated delivery 4/24-5/08.

I am really not happy. Apple has blown this launch big time. In 8 years of ordering heavily constrained Apple products I have never been quoted a vague, 2-week delivery window. That even includes all those iPhones where you had to deal with the carrier handoffs. It is also very odd that they are not even trying to sell them in the stores initially. Not a good sign.
  • Reply 52 of 112
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    All those who are lucky enough to have delivery dates appear to be in the USA. Has anyone in Europe had early confirmation of delivery?
  • Reply 53 of 112
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

All those who are lucky enough to have delivery dates appear to be in the USA. Has anyone in Europe had early confirmation of delivery?

Paris, France :p

• Reply 54 of 112
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I received the e-mail last night. My stainless 42 with black sport band is still in processing. I was hoping to receive it on launch day, but doesn't look like that will be happening. I had my order in exactly at 12:01am via the app. Kind of bummed but oh well. I'm sure it will arrive soon. 

• Reply 55 of 112
    Is there anybody who can sell his 42mm sport watch on a launch day? I am visiting NYC so if it happens that you get yours on Friday just send me a message to [email protected], I could offer a good price!
  • Reply 56 of 112
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

Plenty of people in the UK have received notification of shipping it seems, including me. :)

• Reply 57 of 112
    Just got order status update on my phone saying it shipped and will arrive tomorrow , it's then same tracking info I saw earlier but still hasn't been picked up yet , but now I'll relax . I tried posting a photo but it wouldn't let me "upload from device "
  • Reply 58 of 112

I'm not convinced that the tracking locations mean a whole lot for massive shipments of this kind until your package gets to your local distribution center. I remember watching one of my first-day iPad orders supposedly jumping back and forth between locations in the U.S. and China over a period of several days. It was kind of surreal. Of course it wasn't actually going anywhere, that was just the paperwork. Then it jumped from a hub city on the other side of the country to my front door.

I remember that too. I think there was some typhoon or some type of bad weather in the "Far East" at the time so it was supposedly delayed for some cryptic weather-related status. I know I have the screenshot somewhere. It's funny to look back at now.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

For those of you who've received confirmations of your new baby shipping, congratulations! Mine will be here some time in June, so I await with bated breath!

As for those "people" whining about Apple blowing this launch, calling for the firing of Angela, or any of your other retarded, made up FUD, just do the world a favour and get lost...

• Reply 60 of 112
    Can anyone that ordered a 42mm Black Sport confirm a ship date of the 24th? I ordered mine at 12:05 and it still says may 8-27