Apple sells blockbuster 61M iPhones, nets $13.6B profit in record March quarter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Quote:

Conspiracy theories are sooo boring.

Care to elaborate? How is this a conspiracy theory? We all know that politicians are lobbied through campaign donations and other means by those that want to have an influence on policy. Google outspent all of its tech competitors by a wide margin, and 4 x more than Apple. This is not a conspiracy, this is a fact. So you feel it is a coincidence that FCC's findings of google's abuse of monopolistic power did not result in further investigation? As for wall street, why don't you pose another, more reasonable explanation than mine as to why Eric Schmidt would buy out 20% stake in a hedge fund, if not to somehow benefit google.

• Reply 62 of 153
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    plovell wrote: »
    iPad sales down -- DOOM imminent !!!!

This I knew would happen with the release of larger iPhones.

Maybe iPhone sales are making up for the drop of iPad sales? Well I hope so at least.
  • Reply 63 of 153
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Conspiracy theories are sooo boring.

I'm not spouting any conspiracy theories. Best March quarter ever and the after market reaction is basically 'meh'.
  • Reply 64 of 153
    brlawyer wrote: »
    My concern is real; if the iPhone's momentum is ever gone, we'll see Apple go down like a meteor - just like Nokia was once certain of its gigantic phone cash cow.

So what about new Mac Pros?

So what do you want Apple to do? They just released a new Mac and a brand new product category. Rumors are a new music service and new ?TV will be coming out later this year. And of course Apple pay is just getting started. What should Apple be doing that they're not?
  • Reply 65 of 153
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Care to elaborate? How is this a conspiracy theory? We all know that politicians are lobbied through campaign donations and other means by those that want to have an influence on policy. Google outspent all of its tech competitors by a wide margin, and 4 x more than Apple. This is not a conspiracy, this is a fact. So you feel it is a coincidence that FCC's findings of google's abuse of monopolistic power did not result in further investigation? As for wall street, why don't you pose another, more reasonable explanation than mine as to why Eric Schmidt would buy out 20% stake in a hedge fund, if not to somehow benefit google.

Even if any of this is true, it has nothing whatsoever to do with stock price.

Conspiracy theories are their own justification. They are a closed loop. But I knew that already.

• Reply 66 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not spouting any conspiracy theories. Best March quarter ever and the after market reaction is basically 'meh'.

You should know, and I think you probably do know, that it's all about expectations vs. results. The results we got were fully anticipated in the days before the report and resulted in a 5% run-up over the past week or so. The report was a good one, but not a door-buster by any means. It beat the normally conservative Street estimates by around 10%, but that's completely expected, and was fully was baked in to the price when the markets closed today.

And "best March quarter ever"? Really, and what if it wasn't? That would be better known as an earnings decline, IOW, a disaster. Every quarter is expected to be the best ever. Any other result is going backwards.

• Reply 67 of 153
    Quote:

Even if any of this is true, it has nothing whatsoever to do with stock price.

Conspiracy theories are their own justification. They are a closed loop. But I knew that already.

It doesn't? Someone with a "fat finger" brought the market to its knees, and you don't think hedge funds (like the one Schmidt invested in) manipulate stock prices? The evidence speaks for itself. It's not like I'm talking about people being sodomized by aliens here.

It sounds like you've already dismissed any idea that isn't %100 proven, which seems silly to me. I'm not saying that there's %100 chance that it's happening, but it seems pretty likely given the circumstances. And what's your evidence that I'm wrong?

• Reply 68 of 153
    Quote:

It doesn't? Someone with a "fat finger" brought the market to its knees, and you don't think hedge funds (like the one Schmidt invested in) manipulate stock prices? The evidence speaks for itself. It's not like I'm talking about people being sodomized by aliens here.

It sounds like you've already dismissed any idea that isn't %100 proven, which seems silly to me. I'm not saying that there's %100 chance that it's happening, but it seems pretty likely given the circumstances. And what's your evidence that I'm wrong?

When it's 100% baloney, I will call it by its real name. I cannot prove that you were not sodomized by aliens either, so perhaps it really is true.

• Reply 69 of 153
    Quote:

You should know, and I think you probably do know, that it's all about expectations vs. results. The results we got were fully anticipated in the days before the report and resulted in a 5% run-up over the past week or so. The report was a good one, but not a door-buster by any means. It beat the normally conservative Street estimates by around 10%, but that's completely expected, and was fully was baked in to the price when the markets closed today.

And "best March quarter ever"? Really, and what if it wasn't? That would be better known as an earnings decline, IOW, a disaster. Every quarter is expected to be the best ever. Any other result is going backwards.

I always hear this about expectations vs results as an excuse why Apple doesn't perform well, but it never really seems to explain what is going on. So what is your explanation then for google missing expectations, then shooting up 3%?

Apple didn't just have a good quarter, they did exceptional 27% yoy revenue growth and 40% earnings per share is crazy, and should result in a lot more than a %1 bump.

Quote:

When it's 100% baloney, I will call it by its real name. I cannot prove that you were not sodomized by aliens either, so perhaps it really is true.

1) What is 100% baloney?

2) Perhaps.

• Reply 70 of 153
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    And 70% of their revenue now depends on the iPhone - good news?

Just in case, think of it as Chile without the copper.

Exxon without oil, Intel without chips, Chanel without perfume, Boeing without planes, Ford without cars...

Oh my
  • Reply 71 of 153
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Apple didn't just have a good quarter, they did exceptional 27% yoy revenue growth and 40% earnings per share is crazy, and should result in a lot more than a %1 bump.

The share price was around $80-85 this time last year, so is up way more than 27%.  

• Reply 72 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The share price was around $80-85 this time last year, so is up way more than 27%.  

Yes, the share price has also gone up significantly. The 27% figure is referring to revenue growth, which is pretty amazing by itself.

• Reply 73 of 153
    Quote:

Yes, the share price has also gone up significantly. The 27% figure is referring to revenue growth, which is pretty amazing by itself.

Never said it wasn't, but I was responding to a post complaining about a 1% bump in the share price in the past few hours on the basis of revenues that grew 27% over the past year.   Using a yearly measure to complain about an hourly fluctuation is silly.

• Reply 74 of 153
    Quote:

I always hear this about expectations vs results as an excuse why Apple doesn't perform well, but it never really seems to explain what is going on. So what is your explanation then for google missing expectations, then shooting up 3%?

Excuse. Hmm. I seem to have the disadvantage of following more than the one stock. Every stock is its own story, but in the case of GOOG it has seriously unperformed for most of the last year. It also gave back most of that after-hours jump in the next few days. It is still a flatline story.

AAPL has been gaining all week in anticipation of this earnings report, which came in as expected.

• Reply 75 of 153

You should know, and I think you probably do know, that it's all about expectations vs. results. The results we got were fully anticipated in the days before the report and resulted in a 5% run-up over the past week or so. The report was a good one, but not a door-buster by any means. It beat the normally conservative Street estimates by around 10%, but that's completely expected, and was <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">fully </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">was baked in to the price when the markets closed today.</span>

Haha these comments never get old. Apple has a fantastic quarter and its 'meh, totally expected'. And since no one can hang their hat on "lower than expected guidance" they hang it on a good quarter already baked into the stock price.
  • Reply 76 of 153
    Quote:

Never said it wasn't, but I was responding to a post complaining about a 1% bump in the share price in the past few hours on the basis of revenues that grew 27% over the past year.   Using a yearly measure to complain about an hourly fluctuation is silly.

Complaining about hourly fluctuations is inherently silly, especially if those hours are after the markets close.

• Reply 77 of 153
    Quote:

Stop making sense. The trees are a lot more fascinating than the forest.

• Reply 78 of 153

You should know, and I think you probably do know, that it's all about expectations vs. results. The results we got were fully anticipated in the days before the report and resulted in a 5% run-up over the past week or so. The report was a good one, but not a door-buster by any means. It beat the normally conservative Street estimates by around 10%, but that's completely expected, and was <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">fully </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">was baked in to the price when the markets closed today.</span>

What if it wasn't? You're wondering what would've happened if they had declined ? Maybe you should ask Samsung. They have had a lot of experience with that lately. Are you hard on Samsung because of their declines? You know, best March quarter ever is actually a big accomplishment, if your Apple. They were already making more money than everyone combined, now they're just adding to the stack of cash. They've gotten nearly $200 billion now.

I didn't think anyone would be able to take this earnings call in a negative light, but... congratulations!
  • Reply 79 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Haha these comments never get old. Apple has a fantastic quarter and its 'meh, totally expected'. And since no one can hang their hat on "lower than expected guidance" they hang it on a good quarter already baked into the stock price.

Factual comments, and you have a problem with them. Okay, that's pretty discouraging as a conversation-starter.

• Reply 80 of 153

Kinda funny how when the iPad was launched the harbingers were saying that Apple were going to suffer as it cannibalised Mac sales, and now it's a bad thing that the exact opposite is happening.