Apple sells blockbuster 61M iPhones, nets $13.6B profit in record March quarter

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 153
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    That said this muppet McCourt needs a good kicking.

"Apple is in ‘deceleration’ mode on iPhone trends,” Tavis McCourt, an analyst at Raymond James & Associates, wrote in a research note Tuesday..."

Besides the fact he is talking,apparently, about the velocity of growth not the growth he didn't seem to understand exactly what Apples success in China meant.
  • Reply 142 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I've been around Apple (and AAPL) for a really, really long time (it's kind of scary to think how long, actually). In any case I think this experience gives me a reasonable feel for what actually matters to both the company and its stock.

At one time, the online trolls and the media were a real issue, but that was back in the days when Apple was truly a basket case and questions about their survival were legitimate (if often overly-dramatized). I was very active in defending Apple in those days because I thought it mattered (though whether really did or not, I can't say). Today Apple is a powerhouse, and by some measures, the largest company in the history of the planet. So why would I care what any of the online trolls or clueless media say, when my entire view of Apple was vindicated ages ago (in ace, spades, clubs and hearts)? What a waste of mental energy that would be.

As for the markets, they are what they are. AAPL is far too large for anyone to meaningfully "manipulate" it (which would be a crime if it actually happened, btw). Let the chattering classes chatter. It's what they do. I don't care, so I totally tune them out. I haven't been into any of this for the day, week, month, or even year. Staring into the hairy eyeball of the markets will make you crazy. If that's what you are doing, I can tell you from real practical experience that taking the long view is the antidote.

Thanks for your perspective. That was an interesting read, particularly as I'm relatively new to Apple*, and also because I've wrestled with the same issues regarding how much mental energy, or angst, to expend related to negativity towards Apple. I see what you're saying about taking a long term strategy not just in AAPL, but also in Apple, but sometimes when I see ignorance it's just too hard to resist replying! But yeah, a lot of it is probably wasted.

I'm sure you agree that it can be frustrating at times. For instance, after getting my iPhone 6, people who never know anything about technology (but were otherwise intelligent) would ask me, in all seriousness, "so, does you phone bend?" I would just nonchalantly explain why that was not an issue, but knowing how utterly stupid and misleading that crap was I felt like tearing my hair out!

Anyway, petty trolling here and there doesn't really get to me (it's a constant issue here on AI), but institutionalized trolling, as seems to be taking place through influence in the media (e.g. 'native' advertizing from Apple's competitors, the primary example being samsung and bloomberg), through politics (google buying out the white house and congress through tremendous lobbying and spending), and through market manipulation (the computer based algorithmic trading funds, like the one Eric 'piece of' Schmidt bought 20% stake in, are very adept at manipulating stocks) really bothers me, and I feel an urge to say something about it.

*FWIW, AAPL is a fairly distant secondary concern of mine, 1) because I'm in the early phase of my career and sadly lacked the capital to fully take advantage of my familiarity with AAPL, and 2) I've also come to realize that there is no reliable predictability for AAPL in the short, or often even intermediate term, so I just buy and hold  when the timing is right and don't worry about it after that.

• Reply 143 of 153
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dude.  Just relax.

[@]Rogifan[/@] is a dudette.
  • Reply 144 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You make senses there. I wouldn't bet much on AAPL based on the fluctuation caused by these Wall Street clowns. AAPL will do well over time, but for day traders, it's a damn risk. I'm selling my AAPL on $140 but I may lower it in the next few days. Will see.

Agreed. When I do make a moves on the stock they are few and far between. I'm sure that a good portion of the jerks on wall street know very well how stable and promising AAPL is, and that they're going to buy the stock slowly and methodically over the next few months so as not to trigger any less savvy traders that there's an upswing. But who knows! Haha.

FWIW, everyone I've been showing my Apple Watch to gets excited and tells me they want one. In about one minute I just play around with the different watch faces, demo the remote camera shutter and the slick UI, and they're sold!

• Reply 145 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So in other words your AAPL stock is up 3000% the last 10 years yet you are not satisfied?

I'm satisfied!!! I bought in the majority of my shares (not a huge amount) in late 2008, so I'm very satisfied with AAPL.

What I'm not satisfied with is how AAPL is blatantly manipulated, and how that manipulation affects the perception of AAPL and Apple.

• Reply 146 of 153
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Wired is starting to 'get the iPhone'... at last.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/iphone-now-crazy-popular-china/

I contributed my 0.13 seconds to sales with a 6 Plus. No going back, smaller form factors feel deficient and yes, obviated my immediate need for a new iPad (still on mk 1). I believe that Apple will reinvigorate the iPad both in terms of size options and capability. An iOS version of mathematica (even just a shell) would be nice. :)

My wish seems to be in the process of coming true:

http://blog.wolfram.com/2015/04/28/instant-apps-for-the-apple-watch-with-the-wolfram-language/

Image - Wolfram.com

• Reply 147 of 153
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

The iPad has had what, four or five straight quarters of YoY decline.  So in spite of Apple's record-breaking March quarter, iPad sales do remain a dark cloud in the overall numbers.

The evil empire strikes back with their SP3.

• Reply 148 of 153
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    And 70% of their revenue now depends on the iPhone - good news?

Huh? Google's profits rely on search more and Microsoft relies on Windows/Office more but I rarely see that brought up with them.

Worse still neither of them have reinented themselves once but Apple has many times - Apple II to Mac, Mac three times (68k, PPC, x86), Mac to iPod and now to Phone.

And don't let the mind boggling success of the iPhone diminish the impressiveness of Apples other revenue streams. Despite "dissapointing" sales the iPad is right in there with the Mac, which is still outpacing PCs in marketshare growth. HP and Dell would kill to have either Mac or iPad profits, let alone both.

So go on worrying about the health of Apple :rolleyes:

• Reply 149 of 153
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    iPad is maybe not so expensive.

But they are out of the price range for most people. They ca. Get two pcs or chromebooks for the price of an iPad
  • Reply 150 of 153
    jdamlanjdamlan Posts: 3member

Wow, analysts are still eager to publish Apple ratings even a week after the report. Personally, I'm worried about decelerated sales in the next quarter but that doesn't seem to stop analysts from making a slew of bullish ratings- the majority are saying Buy: https://www.tipranks.com/stocks/aapl ;

• Reply 151 of 153
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pfisher wrote: »
    iPad is maybe not so expensive.

But they are out of the price range for most people. They ca. Get two pcs or chromebooks for the price of an iPad

If you're including third world countries, yes the iPad is expensive for most people.

And if people can get Chromebooks for cheap, what are its numbers? And the PC market is in decline.
  • Reply 152 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If you're including third world countries, yes the iPad is expensive for most people.

And if people can get Chromebooks for cheap, what are its numbers? And the PC market is in decline.
    There's quite a bit of misunderstanding ( and some outright FUD) about Chromebooks and what they can and cannot do. I doubt that Chromebooks are more 2 or 3% of the market if that much, other than in education where they apparently are doing really well. So many folks are convinced they need "real computers" with "real OS'es", fast processors, lots of memory and lots of storage for the web browsing, shopping, bill-paying and emailing they do, and that's all they do. Add in the salespeople who don't know anything about them either and IMO it's no big surprise they don't get the consideration they deserve. I don't personally know anyone that's bought one, and I know several, that have found them untenable or not worth the investment.

In truth they share several of the advantages of Macs: malware/viruses of no real concern. good battery life, responsive, reliable, secure. . . Add in exceptionally fast boot times and rapid, frequent updates and they really are viable choices, even as secondary laptops for those with "real desktop computers".

Yeah the build quality sure isn't up to Apple standards, in fact it varies a whole lot with who builds 'em (some seem pretty bad), but for what they are they're a great choice for the typical budget-minded home user IMHO. With that said I doubt they'll ever get big sales numbers. Google isn't very good at promotion. If they want to "steal something" :rolleyes: it should be folks from Apple with real marketing chops.