YouTube app vanishes from older Apple TV models, latest version unaffected

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    jmbarryjmbarry Posts: 8member
    Everyone here is focused on Apple TV's but it affects millions of other hardware devices, including Samsung Smart TV's and Google TV, first edition http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/04/google-youtube-versions-upgrade-smart-tv

This is an example of Google not willing to support something that older hardware can't upgrade to. I like the advice in the article, don't buy "smart TV's" buy a smaller/cheaper device like the Apple TV and you can be out much less money if you are suddenly cut off.... Personally Google made a HUGE PR mistake in not keeping V2 of their API alive. Millions of irritated users and ruining their reputation even more so.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Personally I moved away from the Apple TV to a Minix X8-H Plus because I enjoy it's freedom of content, features, ports and the ability to install apps like the absolutely wonderful Kodi (XBMC), which has completely changed the way I use my TV. Maybe you should also move on, it's okay to own a device that's not made by Apple. Nvidia's new Shield TV console for instance is going to be force to reckon with, available this month.

The shield is going to start at $199, compared to the Apple TV's $69 pricepoint. 

Also, I'm sure those that own an Apple TV are well aware of other options, but want access to the iCloud ecosystem, their purchases, and ability to Airplay/mirror content easily from their iOS devices/Macs. The Apple TV DOES provide exclusive functionality that is available nowhere else, if you use other Apple devices. 

• Reply 43 of 88
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Oh
    slurpy wrote: »
    The shield is going to start at $199, compared to the Apple TV's $69 pricepoint. 

Also, I'm sure those that own an Apple TV are well aware of other options, but want access to the iCloud ecosystem, their purchases, and ability to Airplay/mirror content easily from their iOS devices/Macs. The Apple TV DOES provide exclusive functionality that is available nowhere else, if you use other Apple devices. 

I was refering to the new upcoming Apple TV which will not be $69, Apple is just clearing out old stock, sorry I didn't make that clear. Besides Apples services what else does the Apple TV offer that can't be found anywhere else. I mean I have HBO GO, though I can't use it yet as its not available in Switzerland. Kodi has it but I don't think it's legal. Actually that app is a pirate haven, I actually saw the new new Avengers movie listed on one of the video site add-ons, lots of bad people out their and it wasn't even one of those CAM versions either but a full 1080P screener. Don't worry I didn't watch it, we took the kids to go see it in 3D and I'll buy the BluRay when it comes out so I can rip it and upload it to my Google Drive with the rest of our movies. We also have an Apple TV, two actually but I now prefer using the MINIX as it offers more in the way of content, you can install apps like games, stream or play 4K content from a local source (this works great, no lag either), browse the internet with any browser that fits our fancy, I like Opera and FireFox, connect a web camera to it and use it with Skype, Hangouts, Viber, BBM, etc, connect a harddrive to it, insert an SD card into it to copy files in and out, connect almost any gamepad to it, we use a Xbox controller, the remote is a lot nicer with air mouse functionality and a keyboard on the back.

Our Apple TV's woked great for the couple of years we used them for but after I saw the things you could do with Minix it was a no brainer, I had to have one. We never bought any content from Apple as I still prefer owning physical media, so we basically only used the Apple TV for YouTube, Netflix and other streaming services and it did those things wonderfully, though I really disliked not being able to surf on it which made the transition to the MINIX even easier. But now I can watch TV from around the world with my Minix including American channels which I really, really wanted, Surf with really good browsers and easily access my network devices and local drives. My kids have a really nice gaming computer and an Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 but I don't, so it's neat that I can install any game listed in the Google PlayStore and play it on my TV, the graphics of course are no where near that of a dedicated game console but their nice enough for me. I'm currently addicted to a hockey game, go figure, I hate sports.

That's also why I can't wait for the new Shield. I'll be able to stream games from my sons computer to the TV. I can already do that now with my Shield Tablet but I'm looking for a more permanent device that won't move as I hate connecting and disconnecting it every time I'm done. Also I'm sorry but that new Shield Console is absolutely bad ass and a must have for o my $200. So much so that I'm going to buy two out of the gate. It's a flippen comouter, 3GB RAM, Nvidias X1 CPU, Maxwel GPU with 256 Cuda cores and ports galore, yummy. I'm defiantly going to buy one of those new LG or Samsung curved monitors for it and than hopefully use it as a Linux ARM development machine. The other will replace MINIX in the loving room, I'll put the MINIX up in the bedroom.

I'm a hacker girl so something like the MINIX will always appeal to me more than say an Apple TV. Not that the Apple TV isn't any good because it is, it's just that I can't have nearly the amount of content, freedom to instsll rival content providers, installation of apps (every device moving forward must have this capability, it's to fantastic to ignore) or feature set that something like the MINIX offers. Its all about what you want a device to do and I just wanted more than the Apple TV could offer me. The price shouldn't be a deciding factor either, 160 for the MINIX is a very fair price for what it offers, as well as the Nvidia for 200 as like I said, it's as powerful as a desktop computer. I truly believe if you tried one yourself you would be pleasantly surprised as to just how powerful and cool the MINIX is, your going to want one. They also have a Windows version called the Z64, I played with it for a while before settling on the X8-H Plus, really nice little computer and it actually ran Windows 8.1 fairly well, I would install XBMC on it to make it into a full fledge media center though. Surfing on it is where it really shines, using a full desktop browser will always beat using a mobile browser. An HP ChromeBox also makes a great TV set box as you can now install Android apps on them, again I would install Kodi(XBMC for Android) and still have that powerful desktop browser.

Anyway thanks for the response and have a wonderful day.....
  • Reply 44 of 88
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Oh

I was refering to the new upcoming Apple TV which will not be $69, Apple is just clearing out old stock, sorry I didn't make that clear.

I'm guessing that the new Apple TV won't be anywhere near $200 either. With the competition already charging less than the soon-to-be-obsolete 3rd-Gen Apple TV, if Apple charges more than $100, they certainly won't sell many of them.

I know nothing about the Shield product you're referring to, but I ended up replacing my first-generation Apple TV with a $50 Roku because I wanted access to more content (like HBO GO and Plex). I missed the AppleTV interface, however. The Roku is a great little device, but its interface is nowhere near as good as the Apple TV, especially considering the brilliant Remote app for iOS that lets me quickly find the media I want. When Apple dropped the price of the Apple TV I ended up buying one because I missed that, especially for listening to music. I still use the Roku more.

If I can install Plex on the next-generation AppleTV, I'll be thrilled. I'll have everything I want, and probably most of what that $200 Shield offers (other than, of course, games).

• Reply 45 of 88
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    relic wrote: »
    In all fairness the Apple TV 3rd generation has been out for quite a long time. You can't expect Apple to support these things forever. Personally I moved away from the Apple TV to a Minix X8-H Plus because I enjoy it's freedom of content, features, ports and the ability to install apps like the absolutely wonderful Kodi (XBMC), which has completely changed the way I use my TV. Maybe you should also move on, it's okay to own a device that's not made by Apple. Nvidia's new Shield TV console for instance is going to be force to reckon with, available this month.

can you airplay content from your iOS devices to your replacement? can it stream your iTunes content (music, season passes, etc) w/o any other devices?
  • Reply 46 of 88
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slurpy wrote: »

bingo. airplaying content, mirroring, and my iTunes content are must-have use cases for any replacement solution for me. if the other set-top cant do those things then it doesnt replace my ATV in functionality.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    can you airplay content from your iOS devices to your replacement? can it stream your iTunes content (music, season passes, etc) w/o any other devices?

Yes, it handles Airplay devices just fine, including displaying the desktop from an iPad or iPhone(mirroring, did you think the Apple TV was the only device that could do this?) No iTunes in the version I'm using X8-H Plus but if you get the Windows version of the MINIX however, the Z64, than yes, you could stream your iTunes content as you can install iTunes. Like I said before though, I have access to the Google Play Store, Amazon Prime and whatever else is out there, there isn't a film, music Album nor TV show that I don't have access too. None of those services really matter to me anyway as I've never invested in Apple content as it's not cross platform friendly. I still buy almost all of my media in physical form so I can rip/encode to formats that can be accessible on all my devices, music, I just use Spotify.

http://www.minix.com.hk/AboutUs.htm

AirPin PRO & Screencast

AirPin PRO App – AirPin PRO is a great application for all Apple iOS customers using our MINIX Media Hubs for Android™. It enables the AirPlay feature on iOS to be compatible with our MINIX Media Hubs for Android™, so you can stream any audio or video content from your iPhone, iPad or iTunes onto your TV. No need to install anything, as long as the MINIX Media Hub for Android™ and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi connection then you can use immediately, simply activate the AirPlay feature on your iOS device when playing media content. Also, a fantastic new feature of AirPin PRO is the ability to mirror the image from your iOS device on to your TV.

Look, again I had an Apple TV and enjoyed using it but the TV set-box in general and all of the software that accompanies these devices have gotten really good, I mean really good. Unfortunately the Apple TV is only really geared around its own content, yes, their are third party content providers as well but nothing that isn't also available elsewhere so it's all about Apples content. What is missing from the Apple that I really want is stuff like PlayLater, a DVR app for online content, instead of opening each content service separately and watching, you just open up PlayLater, choose which shows, movies you want to watch and download, from work even, putting them into a, "what I'm watching tonight playlist" (from multiple sources mind you). Than watch your stuff at your own leisure all from a single app. XBMC, this thing is just fantastic and I'm hooked. Browsing the web, streaming my movies directly from Google Drive, connecting a midi keyboard up to play music from my coach, web camera, karaoke night with the familiy by inserting a microphone into the mic in port, plug in a Xbox controller for a round of online multiplayer Modern Combat5, Nova 3, Dues Ez, etc.

Who cares what you use though, especially if it makes you happy, I'm just talking about an alternative that I use and enjoy. I just brought it up because a member wasnt happy with his current setup.

Happy hacking,.........
  • Reply 48 of 88
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Ah yes, now the computer industry will start teaching TV consumers all the lessons that computer industry consumers have been forced to learn. Such as: "buy a new one every three years", and "the features they advertised to you that got you to buy in the first place might not be there in a month, six months, or a year (or might never have worked in the first place)". And because American consumers are complacent and the culture is fully libertarian-bullied, everyone will just deal with it instead of fighting back. The free market is a myth.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Ah yes, now the computer industry will start teaching TV consumers all the lessons that computer industry consumers have been forced to learn. Such as: "buy a new one every three years", and "the features they advertised to you that got you to buy in the first place might not be there in a month, six months, or a year (or might never have worked in the first place)". And because American consumers are complacent and the culture is fully libertarian-bullied, everyone will just deal with it instead of fighting back. The free market is a myth.

You can fight back, just stop buying things and replacing them every year. Instead of spending $70 on an Apple TV, buy a used ultra mini PC like a Intel NUC or a MSI Brick for $150 off of eBay, install an opensorce media center app on it like XBMC and than just keep it updated. You can easily get 3 years out of it and will never feel like your missing anything as you'll still have access to all of the latest content from the likes of HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu, etc. it just won't have an Apple logo on it. Companies will always break their things after awhile to force people to purchase the newest and greatest, just don't fall into that trap from the get go. Always buy something that you can upgrade later, that includes desktop computers and laptops.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Yes, it handles Airplay devices just fine, including displaying the desktop from an iPad or iPhone(mirroring, did you think the Apple TV was the only device that could do this?) 

Can it be used without an internet connection? In other words, can I stream content directly from my iOS device to the Minix? 

The problem I'm running into with 3rd Gen ?TV is apps like Netflix on the iPhone appear to hand off the URL of the video to the ?TV to access directly from it's own internet connection. Does Minix work that way as well, or does it just accept the video stream directly from the iPhone?

• Reply 51 of 88
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Can it be used without an internet connection? In other words, can I stream content directly from my iOS device to the Minix? 

The problem I'm running into with 3rd Gen ?TV is apps like Netflix on the iPhone appear to hand off the URL of the video to the ?TV to access directly from it's own internet connection. Does Minix work that way as well, or does it just accept the video stream directly from the iPhone?

It just accepts the stream directy, at least that is the experience I get when using my iPad. Why do you need to stream Netflix though, the MINIX offers the ability to install apps, you can install the latest full version of the NetFlix app, same version that's in your iPhone, so it would be kind of redundant to do what your doing.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    It would be cool if Apple came up with a way to seamlessly stream YouTube content from a network connected Mac to the Apple TV. The Apple TV already allows video and music streaming from network connected Macs, albeit through iTunes family sharing. I'm sure it's technically feasible but low priority for Apple. I don't think Google would care one way or the other since you'd be watching their commercials.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

It would be cool if Apple came up with a way to seamlessly stream YouTube content from a network connected Mac to the Apple TV. The Apple TV already allows video and music streaming from network connected Macs, albeit through iTunes family sharing. I'm sure it's technically feasible but low priority for Apple. I don't think Google would care one way or the other since you'd be watching their commercials.

You already can if you have a recent Mac.  Just use the Apple TV as an AirPlay connected display/audio device with your Mac.

The only limitation is that you can't connect a Bluetooth mouse to the Apple TV (my one gripe with it).  So if you're not using a laptop, you'll need to ensure your mouse is within range of your Mac.  This is generally why people use an iPad or a laptop for AirPlay rather than a desktop Mac.

• Reply 54 of 88
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    mstone wrote: »

Assuming that they are not going to rewrite the app to support the new APIs, would you rather have a dead YouTube icon on your screen or have them remove the obsolete app?

There is no reason for it not to work. That's like saying my 6 year old MPB can't access the Internet now. Not supporting new features or new software updates is one thing. Removing advertised functionality remotely is wrong. And I don't even use it on Apple TV.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    It just accepts the stream directy, at least that is the experience I get when using my iPad. Why do you need to stream Netflix though, the MINIX offers the ability to install apps, you can install the latest full version of the NetFlix app, same version that's in your iPhone, so it would be kind of redundant to do what your doing.
    I'm using it in an environment where I don't have access to wifi or Ethernet. So I'm using the iPhone's LTE to stream Netflix, and then looking to mirror the display on a TV.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I'm using it in an environment where I don't have access to wifi or Ethernet. So I'm using the iPhone's LTE to stream Netflix, and then looking to mirror the display on a TV.

Well you can connect the Minix to the iPhone via it's hotspot function and still use the Netflix app on the MINIX itself. I'm sure you'll stop using Netflix though once you see what the Kodi(XBMC) app has to offer, which is basically everything that has to deal with multimedia.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    dewme wrote: »

This has bee "unofficially" available for at least 4 years with an app called Air-Parrot.

Officially you can also check out this app: Beamer
  • Reply 58 of 88

...MINIX in the loving room, I'll put the MINIX up in the bedroom....

Anyway thanks for the response and have a wonderful day.....

^^^ And the difference is what? ^^^ :D

"MINIX in the Loving Room" sounds like a title for anything that makes a Nerd Girl happy... among other unspecified entertainment :smokey:

*** Anyone else interested (I am!) should view the Full Review of the Minix X8-H 4K Android Media Player on YT... just not available on the Apple TV 2 :p

*** Review shows a short segment towards the end mirroring an iPad Air as well as a Nexus 7.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Apart from my above interest in the MINIX, and the fact that I'm once again starting to investigate other alternatives to only using and recommending Apple mobile and iOS devices... I did run across something rather "worrying and disconcerting" yesterday when taking some time with my 1st gen Nexus 7 (after many months of being on the shelf).

I use Pinterest, Tumblr, Facebook, Flickr, DeviantArt, 500px, Chrome (sometimes), etc... and a number of other apps for model scouting. I also save a number of pictures that I run across for later filing and personal SED cards/catalog sheets for look books. My saved photos are of course auto-synced as private (sharing turned off) to my Google account from the Nexus.

Lo and behold yesterday, when I went to my synced Google+ photos within Chrome on my Mac to do some sorting and organizing, I ran across a number of pictures that had been "tagged and flagged" by Google with a yellow warning triangle.... that these wouldn't be allowed to share. Well 1) I wasn't planning on it since I have all settings turned on to private, but [B]2) I don't believe it's Google's business to see what I have saved.[/B]

Of course I realize everything that I do on Google or with Google's apps or platforms is being watched, analyzed and profiled. I get that. However, at what point does Google start to make business decisions and start to flag other content, like music and movies that I have saved to say a NAS or SD card.... and then start throwing either ads on top of those, or not allow them to be played due to a DMCA complaint.

Even though I don't make a big deal about it personally, and if it ever came to pass that Google decided to block my content, I'd find something else without bitching and moaning about it. However I can imagine others getting really upset about it, and just this little experience above caused me to step back and be careful what I do with my Google enabled devices/apps... and I will never trust my original content to be only saved to their services.

Independent, personal cloud servers is the only way IMHO.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    [@]Relic[/@]

Just curious and a couple of questions after doing an Amazon search here in Germany for the MINIX.

1) a number of the customer reviews were not so enthusiastic, however I think it's due to the media software that's pre-installed. So I'm clear: I need to install/replace with Kodi (xbmc) before experiencing anything like the review on YT or your own?

2) another device was listed as being "superior' to the MINIX: HiMedia Q5quad 3D FullHD & 4K Mediaplayer Android 4.4 Smart TV Box. Have you tried that one as well? And again, does it come down to the pre-installed software and replacing it?

"Thanks again" as always for wasting my morning after having my curiosity stoked by one of your product reviews! :rolleyes: Bad Girl! :smokey: