Elon Musk welcomes rumored 'Apple Car,' reveals Tesla-to-Apple poaching at about 5:1

1234579

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 169
    splifsplif Posts: 592member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    And do any of those manufacturers get better battery life than Toyota because of a more efficient OS?



    I don't know if Apple is building a car or not. They may also be working with Tesla and this is all a smoke screen.

    As far as software effecting performance:

    http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-s-155-mph-20141230-story.html

  • Reply 122 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    splif wrote: »

    I don't know if Apple is building a car or not. They may also be working with Tesla and this is all a smoke screen.
    As far as software effecting performance:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-s-155-mph-20141230-story.html

    Thanks for the link, but the software update lifts an electronic limitation.
  • Reply 123 of 169
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    What part of 5:1 did you miss? Do I really have to quote the entire article to prove that I read it?
  • Reply 124 of 169
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

    If that's the best you can do, then I guess we are done here.

    I'm done here but you're not. While you were busy denying the Apple car rumors, another one popped up today.

    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/10/fiat-ceo-meets-with-tim-cook-says-apple-eyeing-automotive-intervention

    Have fun denying an Apple car every other week for the next 5 years.
  • Reply 125 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    wigby wrote: »
    What part of 5:1 did you miss? Do I really have to quote the entire article to prove that I read it?

    Tesla is taking 5 times more employees from Apple than Apple is taking from Tesla. That's the 5:1 ratio. You think it's the other way around.
  • Reply 126 of 169
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post





    I'm done here but you're not. While you were busy denying the Apple car rumors, another one popped up today.



    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/10/fiat-ceo-meets-with-tim-cook-says-apple-eyeing-automotive-intervention



    Have fun denying an Apple car every other week for the next 5 years.

     

    Have fun imagining that every rumor you hear for the rest of your life is true. No need to compare the rumors to what has actually happened; that would just ruin everything.

     

    Funny, but it seems half of the posts here are from people who believe Apple will make their lives better in every way they could possibly imagine. The other half are from people who are constantly angry and disappointed by Apple's failure to make their lives better in every way they could possibly imagine. If I have to choose between miraculous and incompetent, I will have to choose neither.

  • Reply 127 of 169
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

     

     

    Have fun imagining that every rumor you hear for the rest of your life is true. No need to compare the rumors to what has actually happened; that would just ruin everything.

     

    Funny, but it seems half of the posts here are from people who believe Apple will make their lives better in every way they could possibly imagine. The other half are from people who are constantly angry and disappointed by Apple's failure to make their lives better in every way they could possibly imagine. If I have to choose between miraculous and incompetent, I will have to choose neither.




    So why are you still here?

  • Reply 128 of 169
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Tesla is taking 5 times more employees from Apple than Apple is taking from Tesla. That's the 5:1 ratio. You think it's the other way around.



    People love it when you tell them what they think. I never said anything like that because we don't know how many people Elon Musk was talking about. Maybe Apple poached 1 to Tesla's 5 or maybe Apple poached 100 to Tesla's 500. Ratio is irrelevant without any numbers. Apple is poaching Tesla employees for something. It could be for battery tech, it could be for cars, it could be for carplay, it could be for 3d street view mapping, it could be for autonomous driving, etc. It could even be that they are working with Tesla although poaching their employees would be a strange way to go about it.

     

    The point of this article and most of the comments is that when you add up all the rumors (hundreds of auto employees working in secret on Apple car) and facts (hirings of many auto CEOs and engineers and quotes from many in the know about Apple's intent to produce a car) you end up with a strong suspicion that Apple is not only exploring a car but will build and release them eventually. These rumors follow the same path as Apple Watch and larger iPhones which were denied for months and years prior to release.

  • Reply 129 of 169
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

     



    So why are you still here?




    Yes, I should be dead by now. Thanks for asking.

  • Reply 130 of 169
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,490member

    Yes, I should be dead by now. Thanks for asking.

    Are you sick?
  • Reply 131 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    Are you sick?

    Aren't we all?
  • Reply 132 of 169
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,235member
    penchanted wrote: »
    I I read the first rumors about Apple developing a car I thought it was crazy talk. But once I started thinking about the challenges they'd face I thought "why not just buy Tesla?" I'd still prefer that Apple not develop a car but, if that is really part of their plan, buying Tesla provides a lot of up-side.
    Just based on what I've read here and there if Musk was to sell Tesla I don't think his preference would be to Apple.
  • Reply 133 of 169
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Just based on what I've read here and there if Musk was to sell Tesla I don't think his preference would be to Apple.



    Musk's preference would not really matter if the right offer was made since Tesla is publicly traded.

  • Reply 134 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,050member

    ^ He's the largest shareholder.  Depending on how much of the stock he personally owns his preference could matter quite a lot.

     

    EDIT: Some quick research says Tesla has approximately 125 million shares outstanding, and Musk until fairly recently owned 33 million of them (that may have changed).

     

    That's around a 25% share, so not a total blocker, but a pretty substantial impediment to an Apple hostile takeover, especially since he's very popular with Tesla.

  • Reply 135 of 169
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,235member
    crowley wrote: »
    ^ He's the largest shareholder.  Depending on how much of the stock he personally owns his preference could matter quite a lot.
    According to financial data I've read Elon Musk owns 35,001,294 shares of the total 125.76M outstanding as of Jan. 1st.
  • Reply 136 of 169
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

     

    ^ He's the largest shareholder.  Depending on how much of the stock he personally owns his preference could matter quite a lot.

     

    EDIT: Some quick research says Tesla has approximately 125 million shares outstanding, and Musk until fairly recently owned 33 million of them (that may have changed).

     

    That's around a 25% share, so not a total blocker, but a pretty substantial impediment to an Apple hostile takeover, especially since he's very popular with Tesla.




    Apple would not attempt a hostile takeover - it's never been their style (at least to-date).

  • Reply 137 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,050member

    ^ Totally agree, but it was you that said Musk's preference wouldn't matter.  It would, a lot, even in the case of a very aggressive hostile takeover.

  • Reply 138 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    The driver rarely interfaces with a car's computer.



    1. You don't think that there are any beautifully designed cars? There is not one singular car design that fits everyone's needs.



    2. The are a plethora of reliable cars in various price ranges.



    3. Apple products are best in battery life not because they have better tech but because the software is more efficient. That point is null and void with a car.



    4. Cars routinely come with 10 year warranties. Beating Apple's by a long shot, and last I checked App stores don't have repair garages.



    Troll much??

     

    Helpful tip: throwing up a bunch of nonsensical straw man arguments just makes you look ridiculous.

     

    1. Apple has shown itself to be able to be the BEST designed product in any category it is involved in, which, likely, will also apply to cars.

     

    2. Apple has shown itself to be more reliable than its competitors in all categories of products it currently makes, which, likely, will also apply to cars.

     

    3. Apple products are better in battery life because of software AND hardware efficiency in concert. There is no reason to believe that they won't apply their skills at honing efficiency in both categories in their attempt to make a car.

     

    4. You got me there. Current car warranties are much better than Apple's current Apple Care for Apple Car. Oh wait, that doesn't exist because Apple hasn't made a car yet, and you're full of it.*

     

    *I may have dropped a couple letters off the last word of that sentence.

  • Reply 139 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member

    Troll much??

    Helpful tip: throwing up a bunch of nonsensical straw man arguments just makes you look ridiculous.

    1. Apple has shown itself to be able to be the BEST designed product in any category it is involved in, which, likely, will also apply to cars.

    2. Apple has shown itself to be more reliable than its competitors in all categories of products it currently makes, which, likely, will also apply to cars.

    3. Apple products are better in battery life because of software AND hardware efficiency in concert. There is no reason to believe that they won't apply their skills at honing efficiency in both categories in their attempt to make a car.

    4. You got me there. Current car warranties are much better than Apple's current Apple Care for Apple Car. Oh wait, that doesn't exist because Apple hasn't made a car yet, and you're full of it.*

    [SIZE=10px]*I may have dropped a couple letters off the last word of that sentence.[/SIZE]

    So it's impossible for anyone to ever have a better design, or have a more reliable product than Apple?
  • Reply 140 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    So it's impossible for anyone to ever have a better design, or have a more reliable product than Apple?

     

    See my "Helpful tip" above.

Sign In or Register to comment.