Elon Musk welcomes rumored 'Apple Car,' reveals Tesla-to-Apple poaching at about 5:1

1234568

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

     



    People love it when you tell them what they think. I never said anything like that because we don't know how many people Elon Musk was talking about. Maybe Apple poached 1 to Tesla's 5 or maybe Apple poached 100 to Tesla's 500. Ratio is irrelevant without any numbers. Apple is poaching Tesla employees for something. It could be for battery tech, it could be for cars, it could be for carplay, it could be for 3d street view mapping, it could be for autonomous driving, etc. It could even be that they are working with Tesla although poaching their employees would be a strange way to go about it.

     

    The point of this article and most of the comments is that when you add up all the rumors (hundreds of auto employees working in secret on Apple car) and facts (hirings of many auto CEOs and engineers and quotes from many in the know about Apple's intent to produce a car) you end up with a strong suspicion that Apple is not only exploring a car but will build and release them eventually. These rumors follow the same path as Apple Watch and larger iPhones which were denied for months and years prior to release.


     

    Exactly. Apple didn't poach Tesla's head of employee recruitment to brush up CarPlay. They're giving the car a serious look, and more likely than not will make one.

  • Reply 142 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    See my "Helpful tip" above.

    Then what is your point? Just because Apple has been able to do things in the past doesn't mean they can in the future.
  • Reply 143 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,064member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

     

    1. Apple has shown itself to be able to be the BEST designed product in any category it is involved in


     

    :\

     

    They're definitely good.  Quite possibly the best overall.  But the "BEST" in "any category"?  No way.

  • Reply 144 of 169
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

     

    ^ Totally agree, but it was you that said Musk's preference wouldn't matter.  It would, a lot, even in the case of a very aggressive hostile takeover.




    The only thing that really going to make a difference is the institutional investors. Musk, at 25%, has influence but a good offer from Apple would require him to present the offer to the board or risk law suits. I suspect a number of investors would approve of an offer that makes them money.

  • Reply 145 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

     

     

    :\

     

    They're definitely good.  Quite possibly the best overall.  But the "BEST" in "any category"?  No way.


     

    Best 'smart watch', best 'smart phone', best tablet, best portable media player, best laptops, best all-in-one computer.. hard to argue against any of those. So what's your point?

  • Reply 146 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,064member
    Best set top box? Best sound system? Best display? Best mouse? Best Dev tools? Best Best cases/covers? Best cables? Best any of the other things Apple makes that are a fair way from best?
  • Reply 147 of 169
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,502member
    Best 'smart watch', best 'smart phone', best tablet, best portable media player, best laptops, best all-in-one computer.. hard to argue against any of those. So what's your point?

    "Best" is so subjective.
  • Reply 148 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post



    Best set top box? Best sound system? Best display? Best mouse? Best Dev tools? Best Best cases/covers? Best cables? Best any of the other things Apple makes that are a fair way from best?

     

    Nitpick much? So you just want to win on a technicality I suppose. Ok, so there are probably some people that prefer a non-Apple cable. You got me. Best sound system? You mean there are better sound systems out there than Apple's non-existent one?

     

    On a non-sarcastic note, perhaps this would be more accurate: Apple makes the best consumer electronic products in all the major categories that it competes in.

  • Reply 149 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    "Best" is so subjective.

     

    I agree. Using that word definitely lends itself to some ambiguity, and silly arguments, which I definitely set myself up for. I think it still has some use though, at least in the context of qualifying the likelihood that Apple will be able to make a great product in another category (e.g. car), which some people are arguing Apple can't do, or won't necessarily do, or something. I'm not quite sure what their point is. :\ But it seems likely that Apple can pull it off, given their history of producing the "best"* products in their respective categories on a fairly regular basis.

     

    *Given the inherent ambiguity of the word "best," it can be improved by being referred to as the "best overall for most people."

     

    Ps. Have I beaten this horse sufficiently? ;)

  • Reply 150 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    I agree. Using that word definitely lends itself to some ambiguity, and silly arguments, which I definitely set myself up for. I think it still has some use though, at least in the context of qualifying the likelihood that Apple will be able to make a great product in another category (e.g. car), which some people are arguing Apple can't do, or won't necessarily do, or something. I'm not quite sure what their point is. :\ But it seems likely that Apple can pull it off, given their history of producing the "best"* products in their respective categories on a fairly regular basis.

    *Given the inherent ambiguity of the word "best," it can be improved by being referred to as the "best overall for most people."

    Ps. Have I beaten this horse sufficiently? ;)

    The problem is that a 'best' overall car doesn’t exist. There are a multitude of styles, and shapes in all levels of build quality, reliability, and price. The previous markets Apple entered were either relatively young (iPod, iPhone, Apple Watch) or almost non-existent (iPad), and were able to easily come in and make something that completely wiped out what came before. If you ask many people they'll say that Apple invented the smartphone, and the tablet.

    The automobile market on the other hand is a very mature market with many big time players doing good things. Most people love their cars, and purchased them after looking at many different models. Nobody is ever going to think the Apple invented the car, and no one is going to call every car they see the iCar, or Apple Car.
  • Reply 151 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    The problem is that a 'best' overall car doesn’t exist. There are a multitude of styles, and shapes in all levels of build quality, reliability, and price. The previous markets Apple entered were either relatively young (iPod, iPhone, Apple Watch) or almost non-existent (iPad), and were able to easily come in and make something that completely wiped out what came before. If you ask many people they'll say that Apple invented the smartphone, and the tablet.



    The automobile market on the other hand is a very mature market with many big time players doing good things. Most people love their cars, and purchased them after looking at many different models. Nobody is ever going to think the Apple invented the car, and no one is going to call every car they see the iCar, or Apple Car.

     

    So what you're saying is that because the car market has many differences relative to the markets Apple currently competes in, than Apple can't make the iPhone equivalent of a car, and so this is a problem for Apple? I'm still not seeing what point you are trying to make, if any.

  • Reply 152 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    So what you're saying is that because the car market has many differences relative to the markets Apple currently competes in, than Apple can't make the iPhone equivalent of a car, and so this is a problem for Apple? I'm still not seeing what point you are trying to make, if any.

    Is it a problem for Apple? Not at all. I think they can do well, but they're not going to do for cars what they did for smartphones. That's my point.
  • Reply 153 of 169
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,502member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

     

     

    I agree. Using that word definitely lends itself to some ambiguity, and silly arguments, which I definitely set myself up for. I think it still has some use though, at least in the context of qualifying the likelihood that Apple will be able to make a great product in another category (e.g. car), which some people are arguing Apple can't do, or won't necessarily do, or something. I'm not quite sure what their point is. :\ But it seems likely that Apple can pull it off, given their history of producing the "best"* products in their respective categories on a fairly regular basis.

     

    *Given the inherent ambiguity of the word "best," it can be improved by being referred to as the "best overall for most people."

     

    Ps. Have I beaten this horse sufficiently? ;)




    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

  • Reply 154 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,064member
    Nitpick much? So you just want to win on a technicality I suppose. Ok, so there are probably some people that prefer a non-Apple cable. You got me. Best sound system? You mean there are better sound systems out there than Apple's non-existent one?

    On a non-sarcastic note, perhaps this would be more accurate: Apple makes the best consumer electronic products in all the major categories that it competes in.
    I will nitpick with gay abandon when people throw around words like "best" and "every" with similar disregard for facts. A technicality is pretty damn important if you're going to claim such broad stroke as Apple being the best at everything, ever.

    The no true true Scotsman argument of "major" categories is just a smokescreen. Apple is just as capable of failure and misstep as any other company.

    P.s. Apple had a sound system, the iPod Hi-ago. It failed. Somewhat because it wasn't "the best".
  • Reply 155 of 169

    Thanks a lot for share. ;) ;)

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    ??????????????? ????????????? ?????? ?????? ?????????  livescore ???????

  • Reply 156 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Is it a problem for Apple? Not at all. I think they can do well, but they're not going to do for cars what they did for smartphones. That's my point.



    Has anyone disagreed with you on that point yet?

  • Reply 157 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post





    I will nitpick with gay abandon when people throw around words like "best" and "every" with similar disregard for facts. A technicality is pretty damn important if you're going to claim such broad stroke as Apple being the best at everything, ever.



    The no true true Scotsman argument of "major" categories is just a smokescreen. Apple is just as capable of failure and misstep as any other company.



    P.s. Apple had a sound system, the iPod Hi-ago. It failed. Somewhat because it wasn't "the best".



    Well at least you stand by your actions, because "nitpick(ing) with gay abandon" describes what you are doing perfectly. ;) Also, I never used the word "ever".

     

    I'm not familiar with your Scotsman reference, but if you're going to nitpick to the extent you are, then I would advise that you almost never use the words "best" or "major" to describe anything. I will continue to use them because they do serve a purpose, despite some level of unavoidable ambiguity.  

     

    P.s. I'm aware of the iPod Hi-fi, or whatever it's called. I use it almost every day. It's great. I have it hooked up to Air Play and everything. I don't know enough about it though to comment on whether it was the "best" for its time or not.

  • Reply 158 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member

    Has anyone disagreed with you on that point yet?

    Plenty.
  • Reply 159 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Plenty.



    On this forum? I haven't noticed any. Care to point any out?

  • Reply 160 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member

    On this forum? I haven't noticed any. Care to point any out?

    I won't quote the poster because I don't feel like getting into another discussion, but he obviously feels Apple can do the same for cars like they did for smartphones/tablets.

    2- how did i phone change the world ?.. Or the ipad or the ipod!? They sure have changed my life dramatically!
    Are u under the impression that the automobile or transportation technology as matured to a point where no significant changes can happen.. Changes that will affect how u experience your daily transportation?

    Here's one that believes the entire automotive industry is going to be taken down by Apple.
    The entire automotive industry is in a fear of Apple.

    This guy believes that Apple is the only company capable of creating a paradigm shift. That they will somehow create an entirely new concept of a car.
    Only when Apple bring out a new concept of a car (and assuming it does) that is a paradigm changer will people say,' Oh that was obvious'
Sign In or Register to comment.