Elon Musk welcomes rumored 'Apple Car,' reveals Tesla-to-Apple poaching at about 5:1

12345679»

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    I won't quote the poster because I don't feel like getting into another discussion, but he obviously feels Apple can do the same for cars like they did for smartphones/tablets.

    Here's one that believes the entire automotive industry is going to be taken down by Apple.

    This guy believes that Apple is the only company capable of creating a paradigm shift. That they will somehow create an entirely new concept of a car.

     

    Ok, so I guess this is just going to devolve into pointless hair splitting. Apple has been disruptive in every major market it enters due to its ability to innovate, and it's more than likely that this will be the case in the car industry should Apple choose to enter it. In this sense an Apple car would certainly be like the iPhone, but no one is saying people are going to think Apple invented the car, as you say many people think Apple invented the smartphone (although it can be well argued that Apple did invent the modern smartphone).

  • Reply 162 of 169
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

     

     

    Ok, so I guess this is just going to devolve into pointless hair splitting. Apple has been disruptive in every major market it enters due to its ability to innovate, and it's more than likely that this will be the case in the car industry should Apple choose to enter it. In this sense an Apple car would certainly be like the iPhone, but no one is saying people are going to think Apple invented the car, as you say many people think Apple invented the smartphone (although it can be well argued that Apple did invent the modern smartphone).




    All this debate is pointless because if you do a simple survey among anyone planning to buy a new car, ask them about an Apple car. Imagine seeing the commercial and hearing the announcement and keynote. The hype would send people into orbit. They would sell more pre-order cars in one weekend than major car companies are selling all year. It's not about their car making expertise, it's the fact that Apple is the number one brand in the world. That's more valuable to consumers than Ford and Toyota. That's also why a Google car would sell more than most major car companies too. For that matter, a Coca Cola car would sell pretty well too. I'm not kidding.

     

    Car loyalists would laugh at Apple just like Windows users made fun of Macs and Apple culture but look at Windows now, giving away the store to stay afloat. Cars are quickly becoming part of the connected world. That's a tech industry, not an automobile industry. Apple's goal is to move them squarely into the tech industry so when they are ready, they will release another yet product that they have been obsessed with for years.

  • Reply 163 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    Ok, so I guess this is just going to devolve into pointless hair splitting. Apple has been disruptive in every major market it enters due to its ability to innovate, and it's more than likely that this will be the case in the car industry should Apple choose to enter it. In this sense an Apple car would certainly be like the iPhone, but no one is saying people are going to think Apple invented the car, as you say many people think Apple invented the smartphone (although it can be well argued that Apple did invent the modern smartphone).

    Apple was able to innovate, because there was little to no innovation by the previous players. The same isn't true for cars. There are teams from every manufacturer, race car teams, and fathers and sons working on go karts that are working day and night to make their car just a little bit faster, go a little bit further than the competition. I just don't see Apple coming up with an idea that's going to make all those people smack themselves and say "why didn't we think of that?"
  • Reply 164 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Apple was able to innovate, because there was little to no innovation by the previous players. The same isn't true for cars. There are teams from every manufacturer, race car teams, and fathers and sons working on go karts that are working day and night to make their car just a little bit faster, go a little bit further than the competition. I just don't see Apple coming up with an idea that's going to make all those people smack themselves and say "why didn't we think of that?"

     

    Well you're free to be a doubting Thomas, but Apple's history suggests otherwise. And on top of that there's the points wigby mentioned, that the priorities for the car are going to change, and that Apple is the number one brand in the world.

  • Reply 165 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    Well you're free to be a doubting Thomas, but Apple's history suggests otherwise. And on top of that there's the points wigby mentioned, that the priorities for the car are going to change, and that Apple is the number one brand in the world.

    There are plenty of examples in history of someone/something being a shark in one tank and a guppy in another. I countered every one of wigby's points, and quite well.
  • Reply 166 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    There are plenty of examples in history of someone/something being a shark in one tank and a guppy in another. I countered every one of wigby's points, and quite well.

     

    There are not plenty of examples of this in Apple's recent history, so again, I'm not sure what your point is. Also, you did not counter wigby's points well.

  • Reply 167 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    There are not plenty of examples of this in Apple's recent history, so again, I'm not sure what your point is. Also, you did not counter wigby's points well.

    The same could be said of every shark turned guppy.
  • Reply 168 of 169
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    The same could be said of every shark turned guppy.

     

    Looks like your entire argument can be summed up in just one word: "pessimism."

  • Reply 169 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    Looks like your entire argument can be summed up in just one word: "pessimism."

    More like realism.
Sign In or Register to comment.