First Apple Watch update released: Watch OS 1.0.1 improves Siri, standing activities, calorie counti

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

x2. This was my first ever pre-order/launch order and I've used Apple products for over two decades. What a f*cking failure based on the expectations that Apple themselves set. I ordered on launch day and mine has yet to ship. Still "processing".

Ha ha!  Nya-nya!

• Reply 42 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

I'm curious as to which model you ordered.  Was it the black SS model?  I hear those are the ones really taking a while.

• Reply 43 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm curious as to which model you ordered.  Was it the black SS model?  I hear those are the ones really taking a while.

Of course! 38mm Space Black.

• Reply 44 of 90
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

This launch is still a major failure on Apple's part. I ordered on launch day and still waiting for my card to be charged. I am rarely critical of Apple. But until they can deliver on what they promised... They are on my shitlist.

Just cancel your order, then. You'll never be happy with it now.

• Reply 45 of 90
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    iaeen wrote: »
    On your iPhone: Apple watch app -> Workout -> enable power save mode. Says it works for walking/ running, but might work on other workouts too. You could also use a third party Bluetooth chest strap.
    Weight training is a non-aerobic activity. It therefore does not burn many calories nor lend itself to heart rate training. That's a biological fact; not an "issue" that a tech company can fix.

To say weight/resistance training does not burn many calories is ridiculous and completely false. If you take 5 minute breaks between sets then you will not burn as many calories, but the same is true of cardio - it all depends on the intensity. Are you walking at 3mph or jogging at 6mph? Almost all physical trainers will tell you that you need to do both. Ian's if it doesn't lend itself to heart rate training then why would you wear a Bluetooth chest strap? Because it's very important to know where your heart rate is while exercising, it doesn't matter if it's aerobic or anaerobic. I use a chest strap every time I go to the gym and they work great for both types of activities. The Apple Watch only works for one type and they do not advertise that well. It's buried in their support page.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    oneaburns wrote: »
    To say weight/resistance training does not burn many calories is ridiculous and completely false. If you take 5 minute breaks between sets then you will not burn as many calories, but the same is true of cardio - it all depends on the intensity. Are you walking at 3mph or jogging at 6mph? Almost all physical trainers will tell you that you need to do both. Ian's if it doesn't lend itself to heart rate training then why would you wear a Bluetooth chest strap? Because it's very important to know where your heart rate is while exercising, it doesn't matter if it's aerobic or anaerobic. I use a chest strap every time I go to the gym and they work great for both types of activities. The Apple Watch only works for one type and they do not advertise that well. It's buried in their support page.

When building muscle the body will continue to burn calories at a elevated rate well after the workout is completed.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    My woman and I are waiting for a screw rate monitor
  • Reply 48 of 90
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

You're correct on the first part...most devoces that measure your HR on the wrist have that problem. My issue is that Apple never mentioned that in all their advertising. They made it seem as though they had fixed that issue. They now how a support page admiring it may not be accurate for non-rythmic activities. That's putting it mildly. I generally when my HR would be 160BPM it was saying around 100BPM.

As to your second part, strength training burns more calories per minute than cardio and continues to burn calories after you're done working out due to increased muscle mass. A 30 minute strength training workout usually burns around 400 calories. That's even taking a minute or two rest between sets.

If it's unsatisfactory for your needs return it. Maybe there's a software fix in the offing but why take the chance? Perhaps a later generation will improve that for you.

I like Apple stuff but when it isn't right, get rid of it and it's not like a completely informed buying decision was possible with a gen 1 product...

• Reply 49 of 90
    Just did the update, and previously my Watch listed my resting calories = 2,306. After the update my resting calories are shown as 1,375 for today!?! How in the world did Apple release software that was one of the main features of the Watch with such a ridiculous bug? That's an error of 931 calories. I get that this is a 1.0 product, but that's just crazy. This was purely a head-smacking obvious math error.

Edit- nevermind. The resting calories for today is being scaled by # of hours in the day. So it looks like they haven't fixed the obvious resting calories bug. Arghh!
  • Reply 50 of 90
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This has not been a problem for me. (I have the Milanese Loop).

I did notice, however, that in the Workout app, the BPM takes a few minutes to settle into the correct number. One it does that, it seems to adjust real-time.

It's been a problem for me too on bike rides.Tightening up the band (Milanese Loop) seems to help but not consistently.

• Reply 51 of 90

Is anyone having any luck downloading this update? I initiated it on the Apple Watch app over an hour ago and it says I still have two hours left to go.

• Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doubleapex View Post

Just did the update, and previously my Watch listed my resting calories = 2,306. After the update my resting calories are shown as 1,375 for today!?! How in the world did Apple release software that was one of the main features of the Watch with such a ridiculous bug? That's an error of 931 calories. I get that this is a 1.0 product, but that's just crazy. This was purely a head-smacking obvious math error.

the resting calories are reported up to that point in the day, so either look at it towards the end of the day or go to the Health app and view the totals for historical days.

• Reply 53 of 90
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Is anyone having any luck downloading this update? I initiated it on the Apple Watch app over an hour ago and it says I still have two hours left to go.

It seems to have downloaded to my phone, but has been saying Downloading to Watch for the last two hours.  Watch sitting in charging cradle patiently awaiting the download.  Me thinks something's amiss. 

• Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

It seems to have downloaded to my phone, but has been saying Downloading to Watch for the last two hours.  Watch sitting in charging cradle patiently awaiting the download.  Me thinks something's amiss. 

Dunno, my phone says 51 minutes to go now. The watch still shows 1.0.

• Reply 55 of 90

Finally downloaded and is now installing on the watch. I really did take 3 hours!

• Reply 56 of 90
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    This launch is still a major failure on Apple's part. I ordered on launch day and still waiting for my card to be charged. I am rarely critical of Apple. But until they can deliver on what they promised... They are on my shitlist.

I just got mine last week after weeks of waiting, and boy is it sweet! You don't know what you're missing. There's never been a smartwatch like Apple WATCH. Don't listen to any of the naysayers who bitch about how nobody needs a smartwatch or how Apple has abandoned their values because they gave free gold WATCH Editions to celebrities and rockstars. Or the old curmudgeons who feel the need to defend their precious Old World mechanical watches. Don't even listen to the "Watch launch is major failure" trolling in these forums, including your own post. None of them matter. After you receive your Apple Watch, you too will be like the few of us: the awesome people. It's not enough to have the money to preorder one: you have to be chosen by Apple, like getting a ticket for WWDC. Hang in there, my friend. If you pray hard, the spirit of Steve will grant your wish. ;)
  • Reply 57 of 90
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    It seems like the 42mm models are in greater demand and the stainless steel link bracelet versions are the ones taking the longest to ship.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    This launch is still a major failure on Apple's part.

lol - what a comment on our society when having to wait a few weeks is the end of the world. No complaint about the product, capabilities, etc. - just that they couldn't get it in your grubby little mitts in a time frame that pleases you. Unbelievable. Would I rather have mine now than having to wait until the first week in June? Sure. Is it the end of the world? Hardly.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Yikes. Mine said '24 minutes' and I said "too long," and canceled the download/install. Figured I'd do it at home later tonight. But I think I'll wait a day or two. :lol:
  • Reply 60 of 90
    krawallkrawall Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Both of you complained when little things don't make you happy. Let me see: 55 and 77 posts in 3 years in AI? I see the picture here.

I actually tend to think that if people speak less, what they eventually say may be more important than to people who speak non-stop.