First Apple Watch update released: Watch OS 1.0.1 improves Siri, standing activities, calorie counti

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    oneaburns wrote: »
    Unless it has an update to fix heart rate monitoring for lifting weights and other "non-rythmic" exercises then I'm still not interested.
    Works fairly well for swimming. (Yes, I know...) But I suppose that's rhythmic.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    markdomarkdo Posts: 18member
    You know... I ordered my watch on 4/10 at 12:09am pacific time... Only because the store would not let me in until then... Was given a 5/13-5/27 shipping estimate. The watch arrived 5/12. YES!!! It is a great device. I cannot wait to see what it becomes...

The update process was smooth.

I do understand the frustration of having to wait... Do not worry. Your watch will come.

:-)
  • Reply 63 of 90
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

You're correct on the first part...most devoces that measure your HR on the wrist have that problem. My issue is that Apple never mentioned that in all their advertising. They made it seem as though they had fixed that issue. They now how a support page admiring it may not be accurate for non-rythmic activities. That's putting it mildly. I generally when my HR would be 160BPM it was saying around 100BPM.

As to your second part, strength training burns more calories per minute than cardio and continues to burn calories after you're done working out due to increased muscle mass. A 30 minute strength training workout usually burns around 400 calories. That's even taking a minute or two rest between sets.

Depends how you do it. Most people I see doing strength training do 1 series at 90-100% , slack off too long then do another series. That's not that great for cardio (their intensity is too low)... But, yes high intensity interval training with weights is fantastic for stamina and calorie burning. Muscle mass means you can eat more and keep your weight down; I love that ;-).

I used to do very quick rotation between strength/power exercises, I mean real real quick and work at 70-85% of my maximum, I regularly got 210-215 max heart rates (my resting rate was 45-50); I was 18-25 when I used to do that and yes in very very good shape. I could scisor jump without a sweat a slightly slack badminton net (1m70) (without a mattress behind) (which for a women was pretty darn good... My specialty was high jumping, the ultimate power even); I had the olympic standard and would have qualified, but was injured in 1988 (Olympics every 4 years SUCK).

• Reply 64 of 90
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

I thought and still think this, too.

I believe the Sport white band Apple Watch was the most shipped to customers on April 24th in the USA.

(And possibly the blue band since I could have pre-ordered that one as a developer. I sometimes think I should have pre-ordered that second Watch to test apps communicating between the watches. Oh well.)

I ordered the 42mm white band and a friend ordered the 38mm white band.

My arrival date jumped from June to April 24th.

The watches on horrible back order are the space grey sport and the space grey stainless, if you ordered one of those 2 you will have a wait.

I ordered a space grey sport with black band 3 mins after midnight on day one and finally got mine last Wednesday.  It was scheduled for may 13th through the 27th.  

For all those winning you received your scheduled date when you ordered so stop whining.  If you did not like the date you were given then you should have cancelled right there on the spot.

• Reply 65 of 90
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Nice! Looking forward to future updates. As a 1.0 software on a 1.0 device, it has been remarkably solid.
    totally. A very ambitious 1.0 and I would rate it A-.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    pilotc150 wrote: »

And my problem is that I stand all day at work but it still yells at me for not standing.  I have to go walk around for a minute or two each hour for it to believe that I'm actually standing. 

Lol, I have that same problem! And I yell at my watch "I've been standing all day" I find it funny.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    noicc1138 wrote: »
    I ordered mine one minute after it went on sale. 2:02 AM central time. My Watch was delivered on launch day, has outsold all Android Wear watches combined, and it's now outselling the original iPhone. However, since the one guy above hasn't gotten his watch yet we can conclude the Apple Watch has been a failure. 8-)

LOL
  • Reply 68 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mechanic wrote: »
    The watches on horrible back order are the space grey sport and the space grey stainless, if you ordered one of those 2 you will have a wait.
    I ordered a space grey sport with black band 3 mins after midnight on day one and finally got mine last Wednesday.  It was scheduled for may 13th through the 27th.  
    For all those winning you received your scheduled date when you ordered so stop whining.  If you did not like the date you were given then you should have cancelled right there on the spot.

I couldn't agree more. I was in a minute after the online store opened, and put in the order for the black stainless steel with the black stainless steel clasp. It said mid-May to mid-June. I promptly went back to my original choice -- the SS with ML -- and my order said "April24 - May 8" for delivery. It arrived on April 24.

It has been one of the finest Apple products I've owned so far.
  • Reply 69 of 90

waiting for your Apple Watch
    I got mine - eventually, faster than promised, 42mm SS with black strap...
    to anyone putting apple on shitlist  - it was frustrating waiting, but they made good on their promise delivery date - made when i ordered. 

also i have pebble steel - with always on display, waterproof etc... i have NO desire to ever go back to the pebble, despite the couple of apparent advantages.....

its worth the wait people, it doesn't do much, but it does what it needs to with excellence - its a fabulous device, so hang in there.....
    There's a swimming app for the pebble...
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Wo
    Is anyone having any luck downloading this update? I initiated it on the Apple Watch app over an hour ago and it says I still have two hours left to go.
    Woke up this morning (HK time) to the update and installed it in 15 minutes.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Is anyone having any luck downloading this update? I initiated it on the Apple Watch app over an hour ago and it says I still have two hours left to go.

It was quick for me. Less than 10 minutes. Did it around 8 pm ET
  • Reply 72 of 90
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wo

Woke up this morning (HK time) to the update and installed it in 15 minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

It was quick for me. Less than 10 minutes. Did it around 8 pm ET

Huh. Maybe I just ran into the first rush.

• Reply 73 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So will we have to wait four years for it to be renamed wOS?

• Reply 74 of 90
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Pleased they seem to be doing something about the measurement of standing activity.

I've had multiple days where it has given me credit for standing more hours than I've actually been wearing the watch.

It is a little odd, but I don't think it is saying you wore the watch for the entire hour for each one. Put watch on at 6:58. Stand, and then you get credit for standing at least one minute in the hour 6-7 even though you have had the watch on for three minutes. Not sure if that is exactly what it is doing, but that's my impression though use.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Pleased they seem to be doing something about the measurement of standing activity.

I've had multiple days where it has given me credit for standing more hours than I've actually been wearing the watch.

It is a little odd, but I don't think it is saying you wore the watch for the entire hour for each one. Put watch on at 6:58. Stand, and then you get credit for standing at least one minute in the hour 6-7 even though you have had the watch on for three minutes. Not sure if that is exactly what it is doing, but that's my impression though use.
    That's right. It counts the number of hours during which you've stood for at least one minute, not the accumulated time you've spent standing.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    [QUOTE]And my problem is that I stand all day at work but it still yells at me for not standing.  I have to go walk around for a minute or two each hour for it to believe that I'm actually standing. 
    [/quote]
    The watch has no way of knowing if you're standing or seated. Even if the Z-axis is sensitive enough to detect a 2-3 foot difference in height, you could simply be sitting on a stool.

Wisely, instead, it sees lateral movement as evidence that you're walking around, presumably standing, unless you're in a wheelchair or fooling around on your office chair.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Unless it has an update to fix heart rate monitoring for lifting weights and other "non-rythmic" exercises then I'm still not interested.

For the time being, set it as "other activity" in the activities app. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

• Reply 78 of 90
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member

People think that standing in one position all day is better than sitting all day. It actually might be slightly better (or possibly slightly worse - who knows), but there's no substitute for moving your body around, lifting, bending, walking, etc. I think Apple should change the stand alert to say, "Time to move around for a little while."

• Reply 79 of 90
    May I th

waiting for your Apple Watch
    I got mine - eventually, faster than promised, 42mm SS with black strap...
    to anyone putting apple on shitlist  - it was frustrating waiting, but they made good on their promise delivery date - made when i ordered. 

also i have pebble steel - with always on display, waterproof etc... i have NO desire to ever go back to the pebble, despite the couple of apparent advantages.....

its worth the wait people, it doesn't do much, but it does what it needs to with excellence - its a fabulous device, so hang in there.....
    may I then buy the pebble from you
  • Reply 80 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Here's an interesting tidbit from the 1.01 update: The Watch now asks that, to get reliable readings in the Workout app, you walk outside for a cumulative total of 20 mins with the Workout app on.

I will do that today.