Apple's Schiller talks iPhone storage, thin design tradeoffs, single-port MacBook and more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
During a panel session with Daring Fireball's John Gruber on Tuesday, Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller offered his take on 16GB iPhones, the tradeoffs between battery life and device thinness, single-port MacBooks and more.

Phil Schiller gets surprise birthday shoutout from Eddy Cue at WWDC 2015.

Schiller was on hand for Gruber's "The Talk Show" podcast, which held a live taping today in recognition of WWDC, to discuss a range of topics including yesterday's keynote presentation. The recording has not yet been posted, but The Verge offered up a brief summary of the most salient points.

On the topic of iPhone, Gruber asked Schiller why Apple still fields a 16GB model in an age of data rich content like complex apps and high-resolution mobile photography. As expected, the Apple executive pointed to iCloud, saying consumers are increasingly turning to cloud-based solutions for their storage needs.

"The belief is more and more as we use iCloud services for documents and our photos and videos and music that perhaps the most price-conscious customers are able to live in an environment where they don't need gobs of local storage because these services are lightening the load," Schiller said.

Apple first added a 16GB iPhone to the lineup in 2008 as a top-tier option for the first-generation handset, then later marketed the 16GB capacity as an affordable entry level alternative. While top-end iPhones gain storage space at a fairly consistent rate, base models have been stuck with 16GB since 2011's iPhone 4.

In response, Schiller said a 16GB offering helps offset the cost of improving overall handset technology, such as better cameras."We model every thickness, every size, every weight and try to figure out what the tradeoffs are. I think we've made great choices there." - Phil Schiller on iPhone design

Schiller also tackled a common question regarding Apple's penchant for ever-thinner devices. Some believe current device sizes are acceptable, implying that instead of modifying chassis designs as components shrink in size, Apple could use the extra space for larger batteries or extra hardware features. Battery life is a big issue for many iPhone users, especially considering power drains like complex apps and connected accessories such as Apple Watch.

"If you want a product that's thicker with a bigger battery it's also heavier, more costly, takes longer to charge," Schiller said. "We model every thickness, every size, every weight and try to figure out what the tradeoffs are. I think we've made great choices there."

Riffing on the idea of thinner is better, Gruber brought up the new 12-inch MacBook and its lone USB-C port. Detractors claim Apple sacrificed MacBook's usability in its pursuit of design nirvana. Schiller agreed that making a jump to a single port for charging and data transport needs was a risk, but said Apple is in the business of testing boundaries.

"If all we do is an incremental, slight change, where's the excitement? We need to take risks," he said. "That's the Apple I want. I want an Apple that's bold and taking risks and being aggressive."

The podcast episode should be available soon from Daring Fireball.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Well scripted, stock answers, he's in marketing. Not going to watch/listen I already know the answers.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Well scripted, stock answers, he's in marketing. Not going to watch/listen I already know the answers.

You've written exactly what I was thinking. PS is always  'on message'. A very disciplined guy - and he deserves credit because if ? is good at one thing along with design it's Message and keeping that together, but it frankly it gets boring. Ive, at least, exudes, a certain authenticity in his answers, sometimes giving more nuanced messages which don't sound pre-considered. Of course it's also grubber's fault - couldn't he think of something more off the cuff to ask him than the obvious ones PS will have been hearing for years now? 

• Reply 3 of 122
    sc01sc01 Posts: 4member
    I complete agree with zaba and wdowell.
    The interview is too scripted.

If Apple expects more people to use cloud storage, why is iCloud still so expensive. It's like they've created this iCloud, but sets the price high to prevent people from using it. I'd rather use google drive or one drive.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Apple will admit how much of a mistake one port on the new Macbook was when the next version rolls out with at least two. That's about as good of an apology/admission you'll ever get from them, which most will freely accept as they ebay their old one to buy the new one.

• Reply 5 of 122
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Apple will admit how much of a mistake one port on the new Macbook was when the next version rolls out with at least two. That's about as good of an apology/admission you'll ever get from them, which most will freely accept as they ebay their old one to buy the new one.

Absolutely. He could have said "We've seen massive interest and great feedback from consumers.. who want simplicity they see with our iOS devices etc etc.."  He didn't. He basically "yea, well, we try and push things.. sometimes it works..."... 

• Reply 6 of 122
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    What's wrong with 16 GB storage? There are tons of other phones from other companies, being offered with 8 GB or even 4 GB storage. Heck, even Apple still tries to sell the 5C with only 8 GB. I think Phil's response made perfect sense and that's simply the way things are, I don't understand why people don't like what he said. Is 16 GB not enough for you? Go ahead and buy the more expensive version, problem solved.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cash907 wrote: »

Until it doesn't. The MacBook isn't meant to be a power users machine. Millions of people get along just fine with one port on iPad. For people that need more ports there is the rMBP.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    zaba wrote: »

Too bad for you. It was a great interview and something Apple did not have to do. Schiller is a classy guy and it showed. Got a great reception from the crowd.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    wdowell wrote: »

Absolutely. He could have said "We've seen massive interest and great feedback from consumers.. who want simplicity they see with our iOS devices etc etc.."  He didn't. He basically "yea, well, we try and push things.. sometimes it works..."... 

I thought he was quite passionate in his defense of the MacBook. It didn't come across as just marketing speak. It was basically no apologies for being radical sometimes. And his answer got big applause from the audience. That was actually my favorite Q&A from the interview just because it had a real edge to it, sort of 'this is what we do and what we will continue to do and if some people don't like it too f'ng bad, that's why we have a range of products and people have choices'.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pepe779 wrote: »
    What's wrong with 16 GB storage? There are tons of other phones from other companies, being offered with 8 GB or even 4 GB storage. Heck, even Apple still tries to sell the 5C with only 8 GB. I think Phil's response made perfect sense and that's simply the way things are, I don't understand why people don't like what he said. Is 16 GB not enough for you? Go ahead and buy the more expensive version, problem solved.

How much do those phones cost? Plus those phones are made by manufacturers that don't have a vested interest in the app market on the device.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How much do those phones cost? Plus those phones are made by manufacturers that don't have a vested interest in the app market on the device.

What is it people have against "choice". Apple does make iPhones with more storage, and yet obviously sell enough of the 16GB models to warrant keeping them. 

Equally, Apple does sell notebooks with more ports, etc. ... the new MacBook is for those customers who value different features than what those offer. I can't tell you the last time I needed more than one port (plus power) ... but I do value low weight and a great keyboard/screen experience. So for some of us, Apple nailed it. For the rest, other products exist (and will get retina soon enough, I'm sure).

• Reply 12 of 122
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

What is it people have against "choice". Apple does make iPhones with more storage, and yet obviously sell enough of the 16GB models to warrant keeping them. 

Equally, Apple does sell notebooks with more ports, etc. ... the new MacBook is for those customers who value different features than what those offer. I can't tell you the last time I needed more than one port (plus power) ... but I do value low weight and a great keyboard/screen experience. So for some of us, Apple nailed it. For the rest, other products exist (and will get retina soon enough, I'm sure).

When I saw the Mac Book at the store, it was extremely tiny in relation to rMBP. It's a great design.

I don't personally have a need for a notebook/laptop, but I can see that one port would be sufficient for the intended user.

Look for a rMBA with a dual TB USB type C connectors in the future; for those that aren't happy with the Mac Book configuration or performance.

• Reply 13 of 122
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Look at the entire MS/Nokia Lumia lineup - all you get is 4/8/16 GB phones (and one 32 GB model). Regardless of how much these phones cost, do you think MS has no vested interest in their own app market? Look at the Samsung Galaxy S series - again, 16/32/64 GB versions, only the new S6 has changed the strategy and starts at 32 GB. The same with Galaxy Note - 16/32/64 GB. Need more examples and/or do you still think Apple is doing anything wrong in this matter?

Personally, I only have 16 GB devices (except for my iPad Air, which is 32 GB) and I have never felt any storage limitations. My photos and videos are all in iCloud, my music on my two iPods and I don't need 350 apps installed on my iPhones. But again, if you need more, you have the option, not sure why does anybody expect Apple (or any other company for that matter) to provide extra storage at no cost.

• Reply 14 of 122

I will be very surprised if the new iPhones don't start at 32 GB this year. And I'll bet they get 2 GB RAM as well. I wish Gruber would have asked him about RAM in iOS devices. To me Apple should be embarrassed that they're still shipping flagship products with 1GB RAM.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    tmay wrote: »
    When I saw the Mac Book at the store, it was extremely tiny in relation to rMBP. It's a great design.

I don't personally have a need for a notebook/laptop, but I can see that one port would be sufficient for the intended user.

Look for a rMBA with a dual TB USB type C connectors in the future; for those that aren't happy with the Mac Book configuration or performance.

The rMBA will never be. They will soon be discontinued.
  • Reply 16 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

The rMBA will never be. They will soon be discontinued.

Maybe, but the Mac Book definitely needs more performance to meet that niche. The MBA could be here for another couple of cycles; might as well upgrade to Type C TB and retina display.

• Reply 17 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I will be very surprised if the new iPhones don't start at 32 GB this year. And I'll bet they get 2 GB RAM as well. I wish Gruber would have asked him about RAM in iOS devices. To me Apple should be embarrassed that they're still shipping flagship products with 1GB RAM.

I'm with you, re: RAM. It would be nice if several (heavy duty) Apps could stay in memory, instead of essentially restarting, when I switch between then (notably games).

Going back to 16GB, oanother reason Apple may continue to offer this is that it let's them advertise a lower price, which is probably effective in attracting customers, who then end up buying the 32GB model anyway. Thus even if they don't sell so many, the 16GB devices still play a role in driving sales. One can debate the ethics of this, but it's a common practice (who buys the absolute base model of a car, for example).

• Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

I'm with you, re: RAM. It would be nice if several (heavy duty) Apps could stay in memory, instead of essentially restarting, when I switch between then (notably games).

Going back to 16GB, oanother reason Apple may continue to offer this is that it let's them advertise a lower price, which is probably effective in attracting customers, who then end up buying the 32GB model anyway. Thus even if they don't sell so many, the 16GB devices still play a role in driving sales. One can debate the ethics of this, but it's a common practice (who buys the absolute base model of a car, for example).

I posted a couple of days ago about Apple's consumption of RAM; it was supply constrained in 2014 and Apple then consumed 16% of the world's supply.  This year it won't be an issue.

I would expect all iPhone 6 models to be upped to 2 GB of RAM for September's release.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-will-consume-25-of-all-dram-in-the-world-next-year-3573930/

• Reply 19 of 122
    Maybe, but the Mac Book definitely needs more performance to meet that niche. The MBA could be here for another couple of cycles; might as well upgrade to Type C TB and retina display.

If Apple was going to upgrade the MBA to retina they would have done so this year. It's not happening. The rMBP will get lighter and the MBA will eventually go away. It's possible the rMB gets more ports and power in the future but I think Apple wants a real distinction between their consumer line and their pro line. Those lines were becoming blurred with the MBA.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    I posted a couple of days ago about Apple's consumption of RAM; it was supply constrained in 2014 and Apple then consumed 16% of the world's supply.  This year it won't be an issue.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I would expect all iPhone 6 models to be upped to 2 GB of RAM for September's release.</span>

So the iPad Air 1 only had 1GB RAM because of supply constraints? What's your source for this?