Rdio responds to Apple Music with statement satirizing Apple reaction to IBM PC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    let's rephrase this to another era:
    rogifan wrote: »
    Of course it won't be hard to be taken over by [Microsoft]. [Microsoft] has a huge warchest and can spend whatever they want on this service. [Microsoft] also has the power of defaults. [Microsoft XXX] will be preinstalled on nearly every [device]. Of course it's damn near impossible to compete with that.

...nothing is guaranteed. titans get knocked over.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Dalrymple is a has-been journalist who stopped producing any content of meaning years ago. his blog is being misused by his two chosen staffers...it's sad but there it is. his relevancy and authority on Apple no longer exist.

as for presentations -- it's hard. if you watch the WWDC session vids, you'll see some even more painful speakers. I don't fault them for it, tho. unless you do it on a regular basis you'll probably suck at it, too.

There's a big difference between WWDC session speakers and those speaking at the keynote. And whatever one thinks of Jim Dalrymple he's not someone that's usually very critical of Apple so when he says something like that you know it's pretty bad. And I listened to several other podcasts from well known Apple-centric journalists/bloggers and they were even more scathing. Jason Snell said the music portion of the keynote was self indulgent and unfocused. The Rebound podcast with Lex Friedman, Dan Moren and John Moltz said it was completely tone-deaf and the wrong venue to announce this. Which is a shame because the rest of the keynote was very good.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    There are MANY who would disagree with your assessment

everybody's free to have an opinion, but his writing speaks for itself -- most of the posts are from the other two, and the posts he does write have very little depth or relevance to them. he reviews the review units he gets from apple, and thats about it. it's nothing personal, but his brand is coasting.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Cant argue with this either, well said.  Even the employee Fan Boys in the audience were like - 'Huh, what?!'  I almost could feel the 'cringing' through the screen. 
    on The Rebound podcast they said people in the audience were getting quite restless. This keynote was veering into Google I/O territory. Apple is usually very good about keeping things to two hours or less. I think the music portion of the keynote started around the two hour mark.
  • Reply 25 of 103

Rdio is toast and they know it.

There is nothing confusing about Apple Music.

It provides unlimited streaming and is very family friendly.

• Reply 26 of 103
    rogifan wrote: »
    There's a big difference between WWDC session speakers and those speaking at the keynote. And whatever one thinks of Jim Dalrymple he's not someone that's usually very critical of Apple so when he says something like that you know it's pretty bad. And I listened to several other podcasts from well known Apple-centric journalists/bloggers and they were even more scathing. Jason Snell said the music portion of the keynote was self indulgent and unfocused. The Rebound podcast with Lex Friedman, Dan Moren and John Moltz said it was completely tone-deaf and the wrong venue to announce this. Which is a shame because the rest of the keynote was very good.

im not debating that. I'm pointing two things: 1) JD is not a relevant authority anymore. 2) public speaking for newbies is hard. if you go back and watch the old Jobs & Schiller presentations, they were rougher around the edges as well. they got better at it with time.
  • Reply 27 of 103

He has a very good point, and will likely be Apple Music's biggest problem.I personally have no issues with iTunes, but I also have modern computers that are taken care of very well. For many people I've talked too, especially Windows users, iTunes 12 is slow, bloated, and a pain to use.

For mobile users, Apple Music will be nice and snappy but for those that rely heavily on the desktop player, Spotify and others will probably run better. While I'm sure Apple would hate to do it, they should come out with a separate, lightweight app for just Apple Music. Since they will probably never do that, they really need to work on iTunes to find out why it works poorly these days.

• Reply 28 of 103
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple bought Beats. Nobody misunderstands that. And nobody remembers 1981.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

im not debating that. I'm pointing two things: 1) JD is not a relevant authority anymore. 2) public speak for newbies is hard. if you go back and watch the old Jobs & Schiller presentations, they were rougher around the edges as well. they got better at it with time.

Truth be told I love going back and watching those old Keynotes from WWDC/MW. Great memories and Phil's mullet can't be beat

• Reply 30 of 103
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

If Apple Music was such a non-event then all these execs wouldn't be talking about it. But they are. A lot. Apple is the storm on the horizon if Apple does it right and all these execs know it.

I seriously doubt it. Weren't people saying this about the Apple radio service that launched a year ago? Pandora seems to be doing OK. I have been using Spotify for over a year now and legitimately love the service. It's not like the market is clamoring for something better like they were in 2010 for a tablet.

Apple has a better chance now they have an android client in the works, which not unlike when Apple had to swallow their pride when they launched iTunes for Windows.

• Reply 31 of 103
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

He has a point. iTunes has certainly become bloated over the years and imo the store itself needs to have a separate app from a music/television/movies app.

I agree. It is bloated and and, at least to me, somewhat confusing. I wish they had different Apps for Video (TV and movies), Music, Podcasts, and Audiobooks. Each App can co-mingle my own, iTunes Match, and Store content. But separate types of media would make things easier. IMHO. (I have given up looking for the Audiobooks I purchased a year ago. I don't know where they are or how to listen to them....)

• Reply 32 of 103

Dead service walkin'

• Reply 33 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Okay, well, enjoy bankruptcy. You and Spotify need to go.

What is it that you do not like about them? 

• Reply 34 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

I seriously doubt it. Weren't people saying this about the Apple radio service that launched a year ago? Pandora seems to be doing OK. I have been using Spotify for over a year now and legitimately love the service. It's not like the market is clamoring for something better like they were in 2010 for a tablet.

Apple has a better chance now they have an android client in the works, which not unlike when Apple had to swallow their pride when they launched iTunes for Windows.

That wasn't pride, that was "the iPod is selling Macs, are we sure we want to risk a potential decline in Mac sales?"

• Reply 35 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Of course it won't be hard to be taken over by Apple. Apple has a huge warchest and can spend whatever they want on this service. Apple also has the power of defaults. Apple Music will be preinstalled on nearly every iOS device. Of course it's damn near impossible to compete with that.

I wonder how the US and European regulators will feel about Apple Music being pre-installed. They did not like MS Explorer being pre-installed.

• Reply 36 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

I wonder how the US and European regulators will feel about Apple Music being pre-installed. They did not like MS Explorer being pre-installed.

Good thing iOS doesn't have a majority marketshare.

• Reply 37 of 103
    sflagel wrote: »

It will be interesting to see how that all plays out. Perhaps that's why Apple didn't make a bigger deal about the large streaming catalog or artists Apple Music has that Spotify and others don't. Trying to stay a bit under the radar with regulators.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Boy is he right about iTunes. What a mess. But I don't think you need iTunes to access Apple Music so I don't understand the connection. They're separate, right? I haven't really needed iTunes in years, since iOS gained more autonomy with iCloud, and I'd like to keep it that way.
  • Reply 39 of 103

Two points:

1. Rdio should be careful with that metaphor.  The target of Apple's original add (IBM) went on to dominate that market for the next 20 years.  I don't think Spotify want the target of its ad (Apple) to do the same in Music.

2. As another thread recently highlighted, the truly disruptive part of Apple's offering maybe in the CREATION of music, not the distribution.  Helping small music composers & performance create & sell their ware -- as the App Store has already done for developers -- would be a notable change from what's available today.

• Reply 40 of 103
    Spotify has a student subscription plan for $4.99. I wonder if Apple will match it.