Rdio responds to Apple Music with statement satirizing Apple reaction to IBM PC

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    danny602danny602 Posts: 24member
    It's so amusing watching competitors downplay and bash apple, just before apple cleans their clocks.

Pathetic...
  • Reply 62 of 103
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

That's why, in my personal opinion, it's better to brag about your stuff simply, rather than also making fun of Apple's.

Agreed, poking a sleeping bear is never a good thing. 

Making nice with Apple may keep you alive...case in point, Square.

• Reply 63 of 103
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Not inaccurate, including the part about the cocky upstart mocking the new entry (who happens to come along with millions of automatic customers) who ultimately ate the upstart's lunch.

Be careful about your analogies.

• Reply 64 of 103
    He has a point. iTunes has certainly become bloated over the years and imo the store itself needs to have a separate app from a music/television/movies app.

How did it work out for Apple when IBM entered the personal computer market in the mid 1980s? Oh right: a slow 10-year decline into near bankruptcy. Enjoy the boasting, because behind it is real competition.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

He has a point. iTunes has certainly become bloated over the years and imo the store itself needs to have a separate app from a music/television/movies app.

Indeed. How the tables turn, unfortunately.

• Reply 66 of 103
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Can't argue with this. And the muddled tone deaf presentation on Monday didn't help. Ben Thompson got it right when he said the music portion of the keynote showed a lack of focus. Even Jim Dalrymple said Jimmy Iovine and Drake were terrible and Iovine shouldn't be on stage at an Apple event again. The only positive argument I'm seeing for Apple Music is the power of defaults; that it will come installed on every device running iOS 8.4 or higher.

Nothing Apple announced was innovative but it didn't need to be. Music doesn't need to be a big deal. This is what Apple should have done: have Eddy Cue on stage for 10-15 minutes max, and in bullet point fashion describe all the features of Apple Music. Just a simple streaming service that has access to the vast iTunes catalog, that allows for offline playlists, an easy way to import playlists from other streaming services and a great deal on family pricing. Fold iTunes Radio into the services as the free with ads option. Skip the stupid global radio station and social media feature. Skip all this human curation nonsense (if people really cared about that Beats Music would have been more successful than it was). Just keep it simple and keep the app uncluttered. That's all Apple needed to do. It doesn't need to "revolutionize" music.

It still boggles my mind that Apple spent nearly 40 minutes on this when Phil Schiller said there was lots of stuff they cut from the keynote. So basically the iOS and OS X sections were cut short so Eddy Cue could spend 20 minutes giving us a demo of the music app. It boggles the mind. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Let's not forget Cue (and Iovine) thought it was a great idea to stick a U2 album in everyone's library as though they had purchased it and then later had to provide a tool for people to remove it if they wanted to. Bring Phil Schiller back on stage he's a much better stage presenter.

I halfway agree with you.  The keynote was unnecessarily long and not focused.  I could believe the rumours that the Apple TV & service were initially meant to launch at WWDC, but then pulled, and so they felt like focusing more on Apple Music with the time.

From a revenue/business perspective, music is not what it once was to Apple (iTunes is not the stickiest component).  For certain bolstering this business will increase their services business (nothing wrong with generating more income), and it does maintain a slightly healthier Apple ecosystem, but it is really not material to the success of Apple in the future.  Apple is by far & large a platform vendor now, and while good core Apple apps can make a better experience (through tight integration), it is making the platform better (enhancements, integration with new APIs and services, new devices) that matters most.

I don't think the Beats 1 station was a mistake - if nothing else it has value in marketing and as an entry tier.  The connect feature is interesting for music enthusiasts, and if it has integration built in for the other social media services, it might be of some use.  Time will tell on that one.

In the end, music is just not a big business anymore.  I think Apple is doing it as much for nostalgia as anything, and feel that being relevant with music is important to maintain their brand

• Reply 67 of 103
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFly View Post

I don't think when Apple ran the original ad they were defensive, more cocky, which came back to bite them.  Same thing with Rdio.  The difference though is that Apple doesn't run non-money making services.  Rdio hasn't made any profit yet, so it'll be interesting to see how long the tap will last for them.

I disagree with your third sentence.  Apple appears to run quite a few services at break-even in order to drive the ecosystem which, in turn, drives new device sales over time.

However, it is true that most (if not all) of these music-streaming services are losing a significant amount of money.  Apple won't be doing that.

Thompson

• Reply 68 of 103
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I disagree with your third sentence.  Apple appears to run quite a few services at break-even in order to drive the ecosystem which, in turn, drives new device sales over time.

I agree, I meant more of running programs at a loss like a lot of services do, but messed up how I wrote it. :-)

• Reply 69 of 103
    A lot of hateful remarks for something you all haven't even seen yet.
    Don't bother using it then and see if Apple cares. I don't think they are going to miss a bunch of whiners.

Apple - Still making lots of money. They're doing something right.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member

The only difference is that when Apple welcomed IBM to the PC industry, Apple was pretty much acknowledged to be the company that demonstrated the viability of the PC industry.

Rdio on the other hand is welcoming Apple to an industry that is what it is now because of . . . Apple.  This would be like the guy who invented the aileron offering to give the Wright brothers a lecture on the origins of the airplane.

• Reply 71 of 103
    A lot of hateful remarks for something you all haven't even seen yet.

Apple gets hate just for being Apple. The service is for mainstream Apple users, not the opinionated, self-important crowd that inhabit Internet forums.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFly View Post

I don't think when Apple ran the original ad they were defensive, more cocky, which came back to bite them.  Same thing with Rdio.  The difference though is that Apple doesn't run non-money making services.  Rdio hasn't made any profit yet, so it'll be interesting to see how long the tap will last for them.

I am pretty sure iCloud is money loosing service, though it is budgeted from sales of devices that use it.

• Reply 73 of 103
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I agree with the guy. iOS has 742 different apps to access the myriad media. Claim it's gotten easier/simpler so that I can dropkick you in the thorax.
  • Reply 74 of 103
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Can't argue with this. And the muddled tone deaf presentation on Monday didn't help. Ben Thompson got it right when he said the music portion of the keynote showed a lack of focus. Even Jim Dalrymple said Jimmy Iovine and Drake were terrible and Iovine shouldn't be on stage at an Apple event again. The only positive argument I'm seeing for Apple Music is the power of defaults; that it will come installed on every device running iOS 8.4 or higher.

Nothing Apple announced was innovative but it didn't need to be. Music doesn't need to be a big deal. This is what Apple should have done: have Eddy Cue on stage for 10-15 minutes max, and in bullet point fashion describe all the features of Apple Music. Just a simple streaming service that has access to the vast iTunes catalog, that allows for offline playlists, an easy way to import playlists from other streaming services and a great deal on family pricing. Fold iTunes Radio into the services as the free with ads option. Skip the stupid global radio station and social media feature. Skip all this human curation nonsense (if people really cared about that Beats Music would have been more successful than it was). Just keep it simple and keep the app uncluttered. That's all Apple needed to do. It doesn't need to "revolutionize" music.

It still boggles my mind that Apple spent nearly 40 minutes on this when Phil Schiller said there was lots of stuff they cut from the keynote. So basically the iOS and OS X sections were cut short so Eddy Cue could spend 20 minutes giving us a demo of the music app. It boggles the mind. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Let's not forget Cue (and Iovine) thought it was a great idea to stick a U2 album in everyone's library as though they had purchased it and then later had to provide a tool for people to remove it if they wanted to. Bring Phil Schiller back on stage he's a much better stage presenter.

Your incessant, meaningless rants are so trite and tiresome. So they spent longer on Apple music than you would have liked? Did they waste your precious time? did someone have a gun to your head forcing you to watch? Music put Apple on the map in a way than nothing before it did, and iTunes/iPod was the catalyst into the mainstream consumer space. Apple used to by synonymous with music, it's a deep part of the company and who they are- and lately that association has eroded. Apple spent time on this to emphasize just how serious they are about it, and that isn't simply another iTunes Radio.

You spent all that space rating about how they "should have" spent less time presenting such a big service that they've obviously been working on putting together for a long time, and that they have high ambitions for- but exactly what in your experience makes you think you're qualified to state what Apple "should" do, and what they "should" spend their time on? All those successful enterprises you've created? You make these rants constantly, and in my opinion it's the high of vanity and vainness, to pretend as if you have better insight into what Apple should do, and how they should conduct their presentations, than Apple themselves. They've earned the right to make these decisions, which have served them well so far- you haven't. I don't even care too much about music, but I can see beyond my own nose, and awknowlege that billions of others do, and that this is a hugely important announcement for Apple and their ecosystem, deserving of more than "15 min".  Try to look beyond your own use case sometimes, it's healthy. 

• Reply 75 of 103
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    rogifan wrote: »

I don't hold the U2 thing against them. They just under estimated the demand for their new music. Apple is launching a new service that they want people to pay for. Of course they are going to spend more time showing it off. They did the same when they launched the watch. I think if they said that you could stream anything in the entire iTunes catalog they would have had a clear winner, but that's just me.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member

Apple's enormous installed base of customers who will be able to instantly and easily subscribe to Apple Music will give it a big leg up on the competition. It doesn't have to be measurably better than third party apps and services trying to get on to the Apple platform or infiltrate Apple's ecosystem. Ease of acquisition, ease of use, and first class user experience integrated into the core feature set of the platform will trump esoteric features and bitrate arguments. Most consumers can't tell the difference between 128 or 256 kbps AAC and much higher bit rate music played through consumer grade headphones. 95% of the ones who say they can tell the difference are either lying or trying to rationalize excessive expenditures.

If Apple can reliably deliver just what they showed at WWDC for $10 a month (or $15 for families) they'll have a major hit on their hands. It's such an easy choice to make, a no brainer "just do it" decision. The cornered rats like Rdio and Spotify are obviously feeling the heat otherwise they'd be sitting back and feasting on Apple's shortcomings. They are the new Music Match. They know they will soon be on the outside looking in when Apple is by default already on the inside. Just look at iTunes - it's not like dyed in the wool Apple fans love it, but it's good enough and it's already installed and it takes extra effort to NOT use iTunes on the Mac and iOS. If Apple Music follows the iTunes "good enough" model the numbers will be really big because the captive market potential is so huge. 

• Reply 77 of 103

We'll see how it goes. Many people I know don't dig too far deep in to ANY streaming service...simply because of data caps, and most of the time spent listening to music is away from Wifi. I don't care how old the clip is, Steve was still probably right - at the core people would still rather own music, it's new music discovery where streaming has an edge.

The presentation wasn't great, but it wasn't awful either. Iovine seemed out of place on an Apple stage, and too much time just listening to music...has no one heard a song before? Too much emphasis on Beats 1. It's an Internet Radio station. So? There are probably almost a million of them or more, a ton of them are live. Jack of all formats don't typically work out well either. Everyone has their niches. Terrestrial radio has really tight playlists for a reason...

• Reply 78 of 103
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Rdio just sounds worried TBQH. 

• Reply 79 of 103
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    sflagel wrote: »
    I wonder how the US and European regulators will feel about Apple Music being pre-installed. They did not like MS Explorer being pre-installed.

Apple Music is a pay service (outside of the trial period). No one is forcing Apple users to subscribe and Apple's platforms support other services. There is an implicit home field advantage to owning the platform your apps run on, and that is legal. It's when you purposely sabotage similar products that run on the platform where you run into trouble. Everyone says competition is good for the consumer until Apple enters the market. Then it is about Apple strong-arming the little guy. Their service, like everyone else's, will stand or fall on its own merit.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Dalrymple is a has-been journalist who stopped producing any content of meaning years ago. his blog is being misused by his two chosen staffers...it's sad but there it is. his relevancy and authority on Apple no longer exist.

Sounds like somebody is all jealous and butthurt. It's kinda funny you're dismissing Jim D's relevance, when you're just following and spreading his take around the internet.