Samsung's Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, designed to compete with Apple's iPhone 6 Plus, shown in leaked rende

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
An image that purports to show a new, "Plus" version of Samsung's S6 Edge handset appeared on Twitter on Tuesday with an expanded footprint that suggests it may sport a display between 5.5 and 5.7 inches while keeping the industrial design largely unchanged.

The render, from the well-known and generally reliable account @OnLeaks, shows a device that is both taller and wider than the original S6 Edge. Dimensions released alongside the shot indicate that it will measure 154.45 millimeters by 75.80 millimeters and 6.85 millimeters thick.

There are a few minor differences in the larger handset. Notably, the bottom microphone has been swapped to the opposite side, and the volume buttons appear to have been slightly repositioned.

Widely expected to be called the "Galaxy S6 Edge Plus," Samsung's still-unannounced smartphone is likely to retain similar internal technology to its smaller sibling. Some have speculated that it may ship with a six-core Qualcomm processor, rather than the Samsung Exynos chips that are in the S6 and S6 Edge.

There is no word on when Samsung might officially announce the S6 Edge Plus, though some rumors point to a late June debut. It might also bow at September's annual IFA electronics show in Berlin, where the South Korean firm is expected to debut its next-generation Note.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Sticking with my iPhone 6 Plus. Keep your spyware/crapware riddled, horrible UI brick far from me.

• Reply 2 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That wraparound glass is such a goofy idea. Way to go, Samsung! That's innovation! /s
  • Reply 3 of 85
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Meh
  • Reply 4 of 85

Wow, we even put the mic hole next to the headphone jack, just like the iPhone 6. Stay crappy, Samdung.

• Reply 5 of 85
    "Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus"

Such an innovative name. Disgusting. How about taking out any mention of the iPhone (6 Plus) and just calling it the "Galaxy S Edge"?

That actually rolls quite nicely off my tongue. Anyone else with me on this?! ????

Better yet, the "Samsung SL Edge"! Get it?!
  • Reply 6 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Plus?

Surprised they didn't just go ahead and call it an iPhone at this point.

The whole "edge" concept is amateurish. Different for its own sake (the worst reason.)
  • Reply 7 of 85
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I've played around with an S6 Edge and it's nice enough. Feels a solid as an iPhone but the curved screen makes it feel very uncomfortable in the hand. The regular S6 is much better in that department. But both phones aren't glowingly great...Apple have no fear! Lol
  • Reply 8 of 85

Here is the script for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus...

1. Worldwide preorders 20+ million

2. Selling faster than the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

3. Market demand is better than expected

4. Business Insider... Why I dropped the iPhone 6 Plus for the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus

5. Verge... Why I am leaving the iPhone 6 Plus for the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus

6. NYT... Why I started dating the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus after breaking up with the Apple Watch

7. David Federer... Why I decided to not just take the money this time

8. Lebron James... Who cares? The world knows I use an iPhone

9. Ellen Degeneres... Sorry, it is not Oscar night

10. Jay Z... I will promote it if you buy Tidal

11. Fortune... How Samsung got its groove back

12. Forbes... Samsung finally shows its innovation mojo

13. Time... The smartphone of the year

14. IDC... Samsung gaining in China

15. Strategy Analytics... Samsung regains its number one status in Japan... Oh wait, uh, Samsung gaining marketshare in Japan

• Reply 9 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Are you f'n kidding me Sammy? Adding "Plus" to its name?
  • Reply 10 of 85
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This phone is coming out so soon after the 6 series made its debut, that we can only think that the talk about poor sales must be true.

Last year, Samsung said that they sold 11 million S5's the first quarter, I think it was. But this year, they said they shipped 10 million during the same time. Considering that Samsung said that S5 sales were 40% lower than expectations, and lower than S4 sales, this isn't good news for them.

I wish they would release official quarterly sales numbers every quarter. Otherwise, every number we see about them is just guesswork, with no way for those making the guess to calibrate their thinking.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

FU Sammy

• Reply 12 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    melgross wrote: »
    This phone is coming out so soon after the 6 series made its debut, that we can only think that the talk about poor sales must be true.

Last year, Samsung said that they sold 11 million S5's the first quarter, I think it was. But this year, they said they shipped 10 million during the same time. Considering that Samsung said that S5 sales were 40% lower than expectations, and lower than S4 sales, this isn't good news for them.

I wish they would release official quarterly sales numbers every quarter. Otherwise, every number we see about them is just guesswork, with no way for those making the guess to calibrate their thinking.

The thing is Samsung's problem wasn't the fact their phones were plastic. Their problems are they have no brand loyalty and no ecosystem. They took advantage of the few years when Apple wasn't selling larger screen phones. But the minute Apple released iPhones with bigger screens and the Chinese local brands figured out how to make good enough Android phones for cheap it was pretty much curtains for Samsung. Apple is beating them at the high end and Xiaomi, Huawei and others are beating them at the low end. And in the middle, I wouldn't be surprised if LG wasn't taking some share away too. I think the Verge and all these other tech sites were delusional thinking aluminum and glass were going to solve Samsung's problems.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That wraparound glass is such a goofy idea. Way to go, Samsung! That's innovation! /s

There'd be nothing wrong with the wrap-around display, if it actually served some useful purpose. But in typical Samsung fashion, this is merely another empty feature to list in product advertising. Samsung evidently doesn't subscribe to the "jobs to be done" theory of product development. They merely slap on whatever the latest emerging tech they can find instead of focusing on how to solve problems for users. 

• Reply 14 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Plus?

Surprised they didn't just go ahead and call it an iPhone at this point.

Now that's funny, Quado...made me laugh out loud! :)

Best!

• Reply 15 of 85
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Qualcomm? According to previous AI articles by a certain author, Samsung have dumped Qualcomm completely.

• Reply 16 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

4. Business Insider... Why I dropped the iPhone 6 Plus for the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus

6. NYT... Why I started dating the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus after breaking up with the Apple Watch

15. Strategy Analytics... Samsung regains its number one status in Japan... Oh wait, uh, Samsung gaining marketshare in Japan

Very well done. And spot on. :)

P.S. Don't forget Consumer Reports and its red "Harvey Balls" circle rating system. Samsung full red, iPhone half red, half white. :)

Best.

• Reply 17 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

You forgot the inevitable "Galaxy S6 Edge Plus Sales Disappoint" and "Samsung Offers Free Galaxy S6 Edge Plus w/Purchase of Galaxy Tab".

• Reply 18 of 85
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Somehow I fail to see how Samsung can maintain privacy between it's own manufacturing divisions and those that are subcontracted to for Apple. It just doesn't happen - Different Industrial ideals.

In the Trading on the stock markets, there is so much sharing of insider information it is unreal. Same with phones. I do not blame Apple for trying to be secretive about what they do or are doing - it is important to success. iOS 9 & 10 will show who is better. It is the integrated & innovative software that is largely responsible for Apple's success. I once had a Samsung Rep ask me what I thought about his phone. I told him it looked great, but . . . Samsung cannot write very good software and that was a major difference. He quickly agreed.
  • Reply 18 of 85
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Seeing how the Iphone 6 Plus was made as a defensive move to compete with all of the 5+ inch android phones that were already on the market. And that the "plus" was already being used by Chinese phone makers in the Asia market (Oppo was using "Plus" back in 2012) for some time. This is just everyone jumping on a trend. 

• Reply 20 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Last year, Samsung said that they sold 11 million S5's the first quarter, I think it was. But this year, they said they shipped 10 million during the same time. 

Shipped ? Sold