Samsung's Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, designed to compete with Apple's iPhone 6 Plus, shown in leaked rende

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Very well done. And spot on. :)

P.S. Don't forget Consumer Reports and its red "Harvey Balls" circle rating system. Samsung full red, iPhone half red, half white. :)

Best.

Is Consumer Reports still knocking points off for non-user replaceable batteries and no memory card slots?

• Reply 22 of 85
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Seeing how the Iphone 6 Plus was made as a defensive move to compete with all of the 5+ inch android phones that were already on the market. And that the "plus" was already being used by Chinese phone makers in the Asia market (Oppo was using "Plus" back in 2012) for some time. This is just everyone jumping on a trend. 

On the contrary, the larger iPhone was an offensive move by Apple, seeing as iPhone sales were never hurting.

• Reply 23 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Is Consumer Reports still knocking points off for non-user replaceable batteries and no memory card slots?

Probably. I forgotten about that. :)

I remember they always "rated" a  blue plasticky Sony VAIO over the white iBooks which I loved. They had no taste. :)

It was an OK magazine if you were thinking of buying a blender or a vacuum cleaner.

Best.

• Reply 24 of 85
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

There'd be nothing wrong with the wrap-around display, if it actually served some useful purpose. But in typical Samsung fashion, this is merely another empty feature to list in product advertising. Samsung evidently doesn't subscribe to the "jobs to be done" theory of product development. They merely slap on whatever the latest emerging tech they can find instead of focusing on how to solve problems for users. 

Samsung has wraparound screen, iPhone doesn't. Therefore Our phone is better. Buy our phone now. BOGO. Through this weekend. Act Now. Hurry. While Supplies Last.

Like this is their marketing/advertising, and some bros actually buy into it. The subject of phones came up at a company outing a few weeks ago and this guy says "Oh man! have you seen the new Galexy Edge? That thing looks pretty sweet!!". It Totally killed the topic. Someone just abruptly changed the subject. He was the only Droid fan in the group also. Pretty funny.

• Reply 25 of 85
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Can't wait for the inevitable bend tests with that big-arsed curved display.

• Reply 26 of 85
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    Quote:

There'd be nothing wrong with the wrap-around display, if it actually served some useful purpose. But in typical Samsung fashion, this is merely another empty feature to list in product advertising. Samsung evidently doesn't subscribe to the "jobs to be done" theory of product development. They merely slap on whatever the latest emerging tech they can find instead of focusing on how to solve problems for users. 

Yup.  Looks cool in person but when you realize how useless it is . . . 

• Reply 27 of 85

I hope samsung plays those galaxy edge vs iPhone commercials a million times. They are so incredibly stupid. 

• Reply 28 of 85

Samsung is the "Burger King" of smartphones, copies everyone and makes an awful product.  

• Reply 29 of 85
    That wraparound glass is such a goofy idea. Way to go, Samsung! That's innovation! /s

The original Edge had wraparound screen on only one edge, which was even weirder, and certainly unattractive.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    freediverx wrote: »

First rule of tech journalism: It's only wrong when Apple does it.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Plus?

Surprised they didn't just go ahead and call it an iPhone at this point.

You know...they could get away with that, if they did it. The courts work so slowly, that it would be 2022 before Apple would see a dime in damages from Samsung calling their next phone an iPhone. And the whole time, Sammy fans will be defending Samsung's right to use the name "iPhone" because Apple "stole" it from Cisco, haha.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Samsung is the "Burger King" of smartphones, copies everyone and makes an awful product.  

And it gives you the trots.

• Reply 33 of 85
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Holy cow, could they name it anything more awkward?  Samsung S6 Edge Plus?  If you don't think that's awkward, try saying it out loud.

• Reply 34 of 85
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    This shows that the S6 Edge is not selling that well so they need to come up with new models.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    agramonte wrote: »
    Seeing how the Iphone 6 Plus was made as a defensive move to compete with all of the 5+ inch android phones that were already on the market. And that the "plus" was already being used by Chinese phone makers in the Asia market (Oppo was using "Plus" back in 2012) for some time. This is just everyone jumping on a trend. 

It was more an offensive move than a defensive move. Apple took their sweet time in releasing a bigger screen iPhone, and iPhone sell were never hurt. So I don't see how Apple could've been scared of the competition. Apple has so many things that none of the other companies have, i don't think that the size of the iPhone really matters. What matters is on the inside ;)
  • Reply 36 of 85
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And it gives you the trots.

My cousin's co-worker had an android that was malfunctioning on her. He told her "you need an iPhone cause that android will send you straight to the sh**er".
    She stared at him and slowly nodded her head in agreement. xD
  • Reply 37 of 85
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    I love these morons advertising. /s "our Edge screen glows colors on the edge so you know whose trying to contact you. The IPhone just vibrates." False advertising from these clowns! Don't turn your iPhone upside down, leave it facing up, and you see all the necessary info, in fact even more than Samesung, when someone contacts you - like the full message and exactly who. Does this stupid company think all people are morons? Or just their own customers?
  • Reply 38 of 85

wrt the idea of there being something useful about having some screen on the side of the phone, what?! they're so "something" thin and the viewing angles so good that I don't think I've ever had a better view of the side of my phone than I did the screen itself unless it was upside down for some reason? Like, from whom am I hiding my screen? I guess if I didn't want someone to know I was walking around with an Android phone, but then they go and put a screen on the side and take away that option.  I thought their whole deal was making people think you had an iPhone.  If they're gonna be terrible they could at LEAST be consistent.

• Reply 39 of 85
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

I've been trying to figure out what the practical reason is for the edge display in this phone.

From CNET: Mostly, you'll use the Edge screen to view notifications for email, texts, missed calls and app activity. These notices flash on the sidebar strip without you having to check on them.

And it costs US$100 more than the regular S6.

So you can leave your phone face down and squint at the edge for notifications? Yea, that's cool.

• Reply 40 of 85
    Make fun of it if you want but I for one would love to see Apple make a wrap around display. That will be one cool looking iPhone.