Apple confirms Confederate flag ban in App Store, says war games have to change art

13468915

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 292
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    stop w/ the act, already -- you already know Apple doesnt allow porn in their store, which youre probably OK with.

    as much as i disagree with them, it's their freaking store. private property. and unlike w/ people, there are no issues of protected classes at play, here.

    True I guess I'm just throwing liberals words in their face since they are usually the first ones to scream First Amendment and free speech rights. My guess is this policy will be reversed in short order and most if not all the apps will be back on the App Store. They were allowed on the app store in the first place so they couldn't have been that offensive could they?
  • Reply 102 of 292
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    freediverx wrote: »

    For games that fit that description I'd agree it would be a mistake for Apple to remove them.

    What games don't fit that description and how did they end up on the app store in the first place?
  • Reply 103 of 292
    kent909kent909 Posts: 711member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

     



    For games that fit that description I'd agree it would be a mistake for Apple to remove them.


    We have no issue with war but you better not be showing me that offensive piece of cloth. Just get rid of the flag and go kill a bunch of people so I can enjoy myself again.

  • Reply 104 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sestewart wrote: »
    The LGBT Pride flag plastered all over iTunes and the App Store each month is offensive to me and other Christians, yet Tim Cook won't support our moral standards.

    its not your store.

    start a homophobic app store and see how much business you drum up. but you wont -- because you know you wont make any money, because hating is a niche market.
  • Reply 105 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

     

    Not about being offensive. It is about the loss of revenue.




    Right, given that massive threat by liberals to boycott the App Store.

  • Reply 106 of 292
    splifsplif Posts: 592member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    This is ridiculous. Who decides what's offensive? Are they gonna ban football (NFL) apps because they mention Redskins?



    Apple decided for themselves and no one else.

  • Reply 107 of 292
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,616member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't see anything racist about that query. I also think it's a valid question. It's a slippery slope when you start banning items. Getting the capital to stop waving the flag I can get behind. eBay and Amazon stopping the sale of Confederate memorabilia I can get behind. Apple stopping the sale of app that show that flag starts to become a problem because apps are memorabilia. I think companies have the right to sell the products they want to sell, but where does that end. Do they also stop selling apps that are about history that in no way support the Confederacy or are nurtural, as history lessons should try to be? Amazon and eBay didn't stop the sale of books about the US Civil War, did they? Did Apple clear out all such mention in their iBookstore? It's a weird position since Tim Cook made his tweet and Amazon and eBay made their policy change because it forced Apple's hand here on the "art" of apps regardless off the context of its usage. If Apple didn't follow their lead it would look hypocritical.

    As for "the n-word" is more racist to write this string of 6 letters or utter the sequence of phonemes in a contextually neutral or passive stamtent, or to instead make an obliquely racist comment with terms like "those people"? I'd rather we get rid of the silly, cultural acceptance of certain words can be only used by certain people if they have previously been maligned by history. That isn't reverse racism but racism, because you're saying that certain people have rights that others don't have based on no other criteria than this foolish notion of "race". As long as make certain terms taboo and unbalanced we will never be able to neutralize it and therefore never be able to get past it.

    I'd agree with you on principle. All your points are good. But I think under the current circumstances things sit a little differently. You could call it a knee jerk reaction but I feel it is just. Often to create balance an over reaction is needed. There is a movement of sorts happening which hopefully will result in the flag being imbued with racism and shame, never again to be flown out of respect for the victims of slavery. Once that has become the status quo I would not object to the flag being used in games for historical or dramatic effect like the swastika is today.
  • Reply 108 of 292

    So should we start boycotting Apple because of the underrepresentation of black in engineering and management jobs at Apple?

  • Reply 109 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    freediverx wrote: »
    It's easy to say that now because it is not socially acceptable to say otherwise. What would your positions have been had you lived in the South during the 1960s or the 1850s?

    are you honestly trying to slam this guy based on who he might have been in a previous lifetime? thats nuts.

    now, what was the stance of the US founding fathers, prized champions of modern democracy, on slavery? oops, they owned slaves. are you going to decry them next? demand our currency be changed?
  • Reply 110 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    The sooner we stop edifying a treasonous movement, the better. The South was wrong, period. Most of those who fought for the South were not evil, just on the wrong side of history. Their resting places should be respected, but not used to glorify the cause of a State's right to enslave other humans. The signs and symbols of this sad history have a rightful place: in museums. Not in your face.

    the wrong side of history, yes, but not treasonous -- they had the right to secede, and they did so. legally, this happened. they were their own nation when they as states chose to leave the union and form their own.
  • Reply 111 of 292
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,298member
    kent909 wrote: »
    We go after the flag because we cannot go after guns. It is what humans do to alleviate their guilt when stuck in fear.
    Spot on.
  • Reply 112 of 292
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    paxman wrote: »
    I'd agree with you on principle. All your points are good. But I think under the current circumstances things sit a little differently. You could call it a knee jerk reaction but I feel it is just. Often to create balance an over reaction is needed. There is a movement of sorts happening which hopefully will result in the flag being imbued with racism and shame, never again to be flown out of respect for the victims of slavery. Once that has become the status quo I would not object to the flag being used in games for historical or dramatic effect like the swastika is today.

    And I agree with your principles, but I see a long term issue with the "correction". Take Affirmative Action, for instance, in principle it's a positive idea that can have excellent results in the short term, but at some point the true healing and balance can't occur when these crutches are in place. At some point they have to be removed so that all are on equal ground. But when do you remove it? How do you remove it? At some point if you don't remove it it will hinder progress it was originally intended to help.

    That said, I am only human so I can't help but lean toward the more emotional side of this issue and want to give the support when possible, even if dont think it the most pragmatic solution for the long term.
  • Reply 113 of 292
    napybluenapyblue Posts: 14member
    Yup. If you're going to ban the confederate flag then it is time to ban use of the n-word from iTunes!
  • Reply 114 of 292
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    This is just getting ridiculous. So one nut job racist commits a horrible act and now everyone wants to wipe out a part of our history? Insane. 

    I wouldn't mind wiping out that part of our history.
  • Reply 115 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    the wrong side of history, yes, but not treasonous -- they had the right to secede, and they did so. legally, this happened. they were their own nation when they as states chose to leave the union and form their own.



    Ummm, no. In Texas v. White, the United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional.

     

    A 2014 Reuters/Ipsos poll showed 23.9% of Americans supported their state seceding from the union if necessary; 53.3% opposed the idea. Any guesses where that 23.9% lives?

  • Reply 116 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    kent909 wrote: »
    We have no issue with war but you better not be showing me that offensive piece of cloth. Just get rid of the flag and go kill a bunch of people so I can enjoy myself again.

    it is rather crazy, isnt it... likewise w/ the common US views on violence on TV verses nudity on TV. seeing someone's head split open like a melon on network tv is fine, but a nipple? NO NIPPLES TODAY, thank you very much....
  • Reply 117 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    it is rather crazy, isnt it... likewise w/ the common US views on violence on TV verses nudity on TV. seeing someone's head split open like a melon on network tv is fine, but a nipple? NO NIPPLES TODAY, thank you very much....



    Yay! something we agree on! Except if you're a conservative, your side seems to be on the wrong side of that issue as well.

  • Reply 118 of 292
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 116member
    This story comes from Buzzfeed so of course it is exaggerated. It does say that Apple is working with the game makers to get their apps back in store. I imagine they are simply checking that the games aren't using the flag in a way that might be offensive as opposed to simply being historically accurate. There is no blanket right to free speech in the USA despite the famous first amendment. It's obviously restricted in many circumstances including incitement.
  • Reply 119 of 292
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,198member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post





    I wouldn't mind wiping out that part of our history.

    People like you are what's wrong with this country. Not everyone fighting for the south during the civil war were racists. Most weren't even slave owners. To erase that big part of our history is stupid. So we should destroy all the monuments like Fort Sumpter and destroy all the Civil War statues? 

  • Reply 120 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cali wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind wiping out that part of our history.

    wiping out history, even dark history, is a mistake. its a cliche but you cant learn from it if you wipe it. our nation got to the place we are thru our history...to understand it you must understand its history.
Sign In or Register to comment.