After crushing rival smartwatch sales, Apple Watch portrayed as doomed by CNBC

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    pogo007 wrote: »
    e

It's weird that the minute someone has a valid argument you call him a troll. You probably just a average user that knows very little about technology. I am also sure your the type of guy who waits in line for days to get the newest iphone. Get a life and have a valid argument when you reply to someone's post instead of saying his a troll. For the record I've probably been using Apple products longer than you.

The only thing weird is why you think anything you've posted could remotely be considered a valid argument.
    You're a clown. Olympic class.
    And a troll.
  • Reply 122 of 219
    [QUOTE]You probably just a average user that knows very little about technology.

Believe me having been in business for many years in the industry I've seen a lot.[/QUOTE]

Translation: "I don't know you, but I'll just assume you're average and you should listen to me because I'm an expert and I was working on superduper computers when I was 19 and I bet you don't even know what that is."
  • Reply 123 of 219
    bluefire1 wrote: »
    People still watch CNBC?

Just the people who are worried about Apple since Steve died and need proof to support their doom narratives.
  • Reply 124 of 219
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    pogo007 wrote: »
    I've been a little disappointed in Apple since Steve Job's died. Steve had a eye for what works and what doesn't. Same for the Walt Disney company, I loved disney but when Walt died the company suffered lack of innovation which took more than 10 years to recover. I own a Mac consultation business and believe me I know what I'm talking about more than 70% of you guys on here. My corporate customers are starting to worry about the direction Apple is going.

If anything, corporate customers need to worry far LESS these days (cooperation with IBM? Hello!) than they have at any point in the past two decades.
  • Reply 125 of 219
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    If anything corporate customers should be worried about the advice they're getting about Apple from this idiot.

Mr "Believe Me" pffft
    Mr "Mac Consultation Business" pfft
    Mr F'Wit more like it.
  • Reply 126 of 219
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    What is it about this place that makes it impossible for people to disagree without being complete assholes about it?

Are you all fourteen years old, or just really stressed?
  • Reply 127 of 219
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    I think Apple makes nice computers and adequate phones (sad that no one else is better) but the watch is silly.

Let's see a digital watch that relies almost exclusively on a charged compatible phone nearby for most of its functionality. You're dependent upon Apple for basic servicing and battery replacement and beholden to them for activation. Talk about lock-in! The iPhone is bad enough. The watch is a throwaway and in no means a fully independent device capable of functioning on its own without approval from Apple.

Then you have to change the thing nightly for it to even work. Digital watches were a fad in the 80s and then everyone stopped buying them cause they were stupid and ugly.

The Apple watch may not be doomed but I'd judge anyone I saw wearing one negatively. They're not cool in the slightest. Apple is no longer cool. They don't even look cool.

At least an 80s digital watch has retro appeal. Maybe the Apple watch will in 30 years but certainly not now.
  • Reply 128 of 219

You talk about articles twisting data then do exactly the same. Android Wear shipments over the whole of 2014 - remind me again when was the first one available for purchase? Oh yes, it was in July.

• Reply 129 of 219
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    I think Apple makes nice computers and adequate phones (sad that no one else is better) but the watch is silly.

If your starting point is throwing Apple a bone to say their products are, at best, nice and adequate, you're not exactly coming off as reasonable person.
    Let's see a digital watch that relies almost exclusively on a charged compatible phone nearby for most of its functionality. You're dependent upon Apple for basic servicing and battery replacement and beholden to them for activation. Talk about lock-in! The iPhone is bad enough. The watch is a throwaway and in no means a fully independent device capable of functioning on its own without approval from Apple.

And? It's an extension to the iPhone the adds a lot of utility not otherwise had and saves a lot of time in the process. Do you not value utility and time?
    Then you have to change the thing nightly for it to even work.

Yes, it does, but that argument is as valid as saying that a computer is stupid because it needs power when an abacus doesn't need any. I also have to charge my MBP and iPhone daily when that Nokia dumb phone can go days between charges and that WinPC tower of your never needs to be recharged.
    Digital watches were a fad in the 80s and then everyone stopped buying them cause they were stupid and ugly.

The 80s? Seriously?! You are way off on when digital watches came on the scene, even more wrong about their popularity in the 80s, and, again, even more wrong about their continued popularity today. Hint: All quartz watches use some form of digital logic, which makes all of them digital. But even if you were only superficially considering the mechanical hands of the dial and now its interworking, digital watches still out number.
    The Apple watch may not be doomed but I'd judge anyone I saw wearing one negatively.

Based on your other comments I have to assume we all believe you would make such an impulsive and silly determination about someone else.
    They're not cool in the slightest.

Who defines what is cool? Why do you care what others think about what is cool? Perhaps you should try to look things more pragmatically and not by how you think others will judge you.
    Apple is no longer cool.

I'm sure they'll go under any day now because you said so¡ Maybe you should invest everything you have into shorting the stock.
    They don't even look cool.

You're already said that. Strike 2.
    At least an 80s digital watch has retro appeal.

You're sounding like an insecure hipster.
    Maybe the Apple watch will in 30 years but certainly not now.

Makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 130 of 219
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

Well, I plan to buy an Apple Watch; just not yet. I believe there are a lot of other people in the same position. I don't live where there is a store and they were not available for purchase the last time I was in a store. It could be I will wait for the 2nd iteration.

My main interest is in a 2 new MacBooks, a MacMini, a New Router, and a new phone with the New Chip. I don't see going out and buying them when the need is not critical because the new ones are almost here.

As for CNN, we all know they are not forthright with their surveys - neither are they with retractions.

I hope this overview helps when choosing your next Apple product:

1. Productivity = big screen estate: iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini

2. Mobility/Productivity: Macbook Pro, iPad+ (with Force Touch and ? pen)

3. Mobility = portability: Macbook (Air), iPad (Air, mini)

4. Connectivity = convenience: iPhone, ? watch

(from a creative's view perspective)

• Reply 131 of 219
    pogo007pogo007 Posts: 43member
    robm wrote: »
    The only thing weird is why you think anything you've posted could remotely be considered a valid argument.
    You're a clown. Olympic class.
    And a troll.

Well at least you just proven that everything I said about you in my previous post about you was right. Typical answer of someone who doesn't know what to say. This is a forum to discuss opinions, not accuse people of trolling when they have something negative to say or something that doesn't fit your particular opinion. If you have nothing good to say please don't say anything. Interesting quote, better to be quiet and stupid then to talk and prove you are stupid. So calm down if you have a valid argument on something say it and will debate it.
  • Reply 132 of 219
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    CNBC occupies the same stature as FOX "news" in my editable DirecTV Guide. The slot is blank, nada, nuttin' honey. No need to list an opportunity to pay attention to useless regardless of subject.
  • Reply 133 of 219
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

Well it's very successful. I think it will be a matter of time before it starts losing popularity. When people start realizing it doesn't do much they will stop using it. It will be just like the iPad which started great and it took a few years for people to realize it's just a big iphone and that our iphone's can pretty much do the same exact thing. For the past few years I've only been using a MacBook Air and iPhone and I pretty much get everything done.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Hilarious! Look at that line of people waiting for their first chance to get an Apple Watch. Wow, there must be at least thirty people in line. I've seen many times that waiting in line when all Apple was doing was opening a new store and giving away free t-shirts. That leaves me wondering if CNBC is more in touch than AppleInsider.

Smartwatches are a technology whose time hasn't come. Can you really cram enough user input and output into a small watch face to make the gadget worthwhile for most users? So far, that's not been demonstrated. The Apple Watch is what it is being marketed as, a pricey style accessory not a useful tool for most people.

That said, Apple will probably benefit from its investment. Some of the techniques it was forced to develop for its smartwatch may prove more valuable on its other devices. And by dominating this still immature market, Apple makes it harder for a competitor to take over the smart watch market like the iPhone took over the smartphone market. It's guarding its rear and flanks.

I could not agree more with these two opinions.  The wearable category as a whole is not ready for primetime in a mass use.  Generally speaking and without any official numbers at this point, the only demographic who uses these devices are the techno-files of the world.  Even Apple with its genius marketing department has not found a use (not a technology) to make it worth the price.

The Apple Watch is no Ping service and is more successful out of the cage but I do wonder at the longevity of the product itself.  Nobody has yet to make a wearable device that is actually useful.

• Reply 134 of 219
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Attended and graduated are two different things. That beings said many American colleges have huge ethical problems graduating people that shouldn't. Further many professors are under a lot of pressure to be politically correct and support the fascist administration in Washington. So don't assume that GW is free to offer diplomas in a ethical way.

Frankly liberalism has made college diplomas about as valuable as a high school diploma these years. The pressure to graduate individuals that don't deserve the degree is extremely high these days. I think the problem started back in the 1970's when the entire focus of the high school educational system was to get the students to go to college. The ultimate following on to this movement was the idea that everybody has a right to a college education. Now it has become an entitlement where students go to college expecting a degree no matter how much effort they put into it. It is really a pathetic change of course in the American educational system.

For the record, it is the Capitalist education system that is pushing the University System as a diploma mill.

As I am fond of noting, I went to an Land Grant State School to get my degree, but decades later, I would argue that it is morphing into a  financial institution that just happens to be in the education business. 

Just naked Capitalism, in the best interest of students one would hope. 

• Reply 135 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    eideard wrote: »
    CNBC occupies the same stature as FOX "news" in my editable DirecTV Guide. The slot is blank, nada, nuttin' honey. No need to list an opportunity to pay attention to useless regardless of subject.

Why do people keep comparing CNBC and FOX? If the comparison is because they're both full of shit then I think a more apt comparison would be to MSNBC or CNN as CNBC is left of center on just about everything.
  • Reply 136 of 219
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Saying that Apple is crushing rival smartwatch sales, is like saying you are the best at the special olympics. Either way, I'm going to wait and see how smartwatches develop over the next few generations to even remotely consider buying one.

So, you consider skepticism an admirable trait?

• Reply 137 of 219
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    thejd wrote: »

I could not agree more with these two opinions.  The wearable category as a whole is not ready for primetime in a mass use.  Generally speaking and without any official numbers at this point, the only demographic who uses these devices are the techno-files of the world.  Even Apple with its genius marketing department has not found a use (not a technology) to make it worth the price.

I am surprised at the tone of this article.  It is one of the first I have read on Appleinsider which contains a tone of anger stemming from a pure fanboy mindset.  Granted, the Apple Watch is no Ping service and is more successful out of the cage but I do wonder at the longevity of the product itself.  Nobody has yet to make a wearable device that is actually useful.

The tone of the piece is such because CNBC is creating a negative out of thin air, otherwise know as lying. This type of click bait reporting seems to be leveled against Apple on a regular basis, and in the case of financial news is likely done to manipulate Apple stock.
  • Reply 138 of 219
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    First, the initial launch of the Apple Watch is akin to the original iPhone. If you remember, it wasn't a huge sales driver like it would become, but it did turn heads and make people and the industry notice. Most dismissed it as a fad. But here's how it won... It had an awesome design compared to other phones at the time, breakthrough features like the Safari web browser, and was a solid release. But what it didn't have was native apps. Once Apple came out with the iPhone 3G and iOS 2.0... It exploded.

As an app developer I see the same pattern here. I started to make an app for the Apple Watch but it was just too limited. It required an iPhone and was like I was making a web app. But once Apple Watch OS 2.0 comes out, it's going to change the game a lot.
  • Reply 139 of 219
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I recommend you watch IBM's vision on computing:

You will understand why Watson fancies Siri. And why Tim Cook thinks the ? watch is such a significant product.

• Reply 140 of 219
    I wear my watch every day and it is a awesome extension of my phone and other pieces of technology.

I have no complaints about it's functions, operations or design. I have no regrets about buying it, and in reality it is one of the nicest pieces of technology I have had the pleasure of using.