It's time to uninstall Adobe's Flash from your Mac - here's how

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I would remove Flash Player, but the problem I'm having is finding an alternative for Firefox that actually works. I have adblock, while that gives me the security benefit of not having unwanted ads being the source of my virus/hacking, that's hardly a complete reassurance.

I also find it funny how the Facebook Security Officer is against Flash, but apparently that doesn't stop Facebook from using it on their videos.

If you're running the latest Firefox (39.0) the Flash Plugin is being automatically disabled unless you want to run it, on a per site perview basis.

http://mashable.com/2015/07/14/mozilla-disables-flash/?ref=webdesignernews.com

Actually, the notice just popped up a minute ago here when going to Dropbox using Firefox to retrieve some files.

Edit: at the above link it states that the auto disabling of Flash within Firefox is only until Adobe patches 18.0.0.203. I think we should all petition/Tweet Mozilla to make this security feature permanent.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    vuduvudu Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Anyone else find it ironic that upon coming to AppleInsider, I was prompted to install the Flash Player update?

Did you disable Flash - and leave ClicktoFlash enabled?

• Reply 103 of 117
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    If you're running the latest Firefox (39.0) the Flash Plugin is being automatically disabled unless you want to run it, on a per site perview basis.

http://mashable.com/2015/07/14/mozilla-disables-flash/?ref=webdesignernews.com

Actually, the notice just popped up a minute ago here when going to Dropbox using Firefox to retrieve some files.

Edit: at the above link it states that the auto disabling of Flash within Firefox is only until Adobe patches 18.0.0.203. I think we should all petition/Tweet Mozilla to make this security feature permanent.
    Doesn't Firefox allow for Flash to be disabled altogether? I know Chrome does but I haven't used Firefox in a long time.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Then why when I come to this site does my flash sometimes pop-up and say, time to update? (rhetorical). Cause you STILL USE flash on this site!

We're almost there (getting there)...
  • Reply 105 of 117
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    I've been reluctant to get rid of Flash, but, it's time. (Thanks for the links)

Problem for me is, I did some tests at a couple different times with Flash video on yosemite...safari 8 always wins as far as how much CPU it uses with Flash, even though Chrome does not require loading flash on my mac, it uses a lot more processing power than Safari to play the exact same video from the same site, with more artifacts. This might be partly due to my mac using integrated graphics, but, nonetheless it is time to rid my mac of flash. I've wanted to do a clean install now with 10.10.4 anyway.

I will also try tjskywasher's tip to enable the developer menu and go iOS rogue, maybe some sites will force HTML5. Although, I know when I did some tests, I also tested against HTML5 video, and my mac uses far less CPU to process 720p or even 1080p HTML5 video over 360/480 SD Flash video...wish they'd all switch over (YouTube still has videos that have not been updated...and Vevo vids on YT are flash only...at least on my previous tests without switching to iOS mode.)
  • Reply 106 of 117
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Doesn't Firefox allow for Flash to be disabled altogether? I know Chrome does but I haven't used Firefox in a long time.

Yes. All plugins can be managed from the Plugins tab within Add-Ons under Tools. Actually far easier than Google and about:config.
  • Reply 107 of 117
    As Vmarks wrote, Silverlight is deprecated. Wikipedia today says: Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2012. In 2013, Microsoft announced that they had ceased development of Silverlight except for patches and bugfixes. Silverlight is no longer supported in Chrome on OS X, while support for Silverlight in Chrome on all other operating systems was disabled by default in April 2015 and will be removed completely in September 2015.[5]

Surely best to remove reference to SL in article to save others from installing & then uninstalling as I did.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Is Apple Insider being a bit hypocritical? Based on the article above, I set it so that I am asked to use Flash on a website. When I visit AppleInsider.com, I get a message if I want to trust the website to use the Adobe Flash Player Plug-in.

Shouldn't you all get rid of needing Flash on your own site?
  • Reply 109 of 117
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    mstone wrote: »
    So what happens when we get to HTML6? Does the catch all term HTML5 instantly fall out of common language usage in referring to modern web development or does the definition change to then mean obsolete web development?
    I think the latter, but HTML5 will fade away.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    I just had to use the Chrome solution to see HBO Go on my Flash-less Mac. WTF HBO?
  • Reply 111 of 117

Just uninstalled Flash. Boy that felt good :)

• Reply 112 of 117

Thanks to this thread, I've uninstalled Flash. Didn't know before that most sites can do videos without it. And thanks to this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderPants View Post

For anyone wanting to use the BBC website without Flash: Enable the "Develop" menu in Safari (the option is in the "Advanced" preferences tab) and then select Develop > User Agent > IOS8.1/iPad. The tab will reload the content as HTML5 and it plays perfectly.

... the BBC-site also works correctly.

Does it have any adverse effect to have the agent on IOS8.1/ipad?

• Reply 113 of 117
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member

I will NEVER use a Google browser on my Mac ....

How can someone trust Google is something beyond my comprehension

• Reply 114 of 117
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxIT View Post

I will NEVER use a Google browser on my Mac ....

How can someone trust Google is something beyond my comprehension

I don't. I use it ONLY for the stuff that doesn't work in Safari without Flash.

• Reply 115 of 117
    goodfzzgoodfzz Posts: 1member
    i got message adobe flash player need updating. i tried but i can't get into adobe flash player or uninstall adobe flash player with my password. i reset my password and it still doesn't work. don't have any idea what to do.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    goodfzz said:
    i got message adobe flash player need updating. i tried but i can't get into adobe flash player or uninstall adobe flash player with my password. i reset my password and it still doesn't work. don't have any idea what to do.
    If you look in /Library/Internet Plug-ins, there will be items in there that have Flash in the name. Move those to trash. If you need to get rid of the system preference, it's in /Library/PreferencePanes.
  • Reply 117 of 117
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    lkrupp said:

So Steve was right back in 2010. I remember his manifesto was excoriated and ridiculed by the tech press. They predicted Apple’s doom without Flash on iOS. The fAndroids went on and on about the ‘real’ Internet and such. These bozos always wind up with egg smeared all over their faces eventually. So much for Flash, so much for ‘open’ vs the walled garden, so much for just about everything the techies say about Apple. Techies are losers.

Which just goes to show that the majority of those talking heads/mouths don't know shit.