Rumor: Apple to launch 'end-of-life' iPad mini model and 'iPad Pro' in 2015, forego 'iPad Air 3'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    pogo007pogo007 Posts: 43member
    Touch adds a new way to interact with these types of professional software that can boost productivity in many of these apps. It can also allow to make modifications a lot faster. The new MacBook lacks any type of touch input, the battery is also very small so you can only get about 4 hours of actual usage. the iPad is all about convienence in the way you can use it.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    sog35 wrote: »
     From going to $600+ to about $400 is a huge drop.  Literally a 50% drop.

Doesn't change your larger point, but it's important to note that's a 33% drop, not 50%.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,755member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but the mini isn't pocketable.  If you are going to use a bag/purse you minus well just bring an Air that is only slightly heavier than the Mini.

That's my problem with the Mini.  It really has no place except for an extremely niche audience.

If you want a big screen go get a iPad that is only slightly heavier and will fit in a bag just like a Mini.

If you want a pocketable device get a 6+, Mini won't fit in your pocket.

But the Mini can be used with one hand, whereas the Air can't.  That's a big factor for convenience when I'm out.  Neither the Mini nor the Air can fit in a pocket, so you need a bag in either case.  And I'm fairly certain that the 6+ screen wouldn't be big enough to watch an action movie or sporting event for me.

• Reply 44 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    portcity wrote: »
    philotech wrote: »
    If I had a say in Apple, I'd do the following:

- release new iPhones with the latest tech some time in spring because iPhones are usually bought depending on when the carrier contract expires (at least I understand in the US - in Europe we've moved away a bit from the subsidy model).

- release new iPads (using the 4-6 months old tech from the spring iPhone release) in time for the holiday season as iPads are much more likely to be given as a gift, considering they don't depend on carrier contracts and are less "necessary" (compared to phones) and therefore better suited as gifts. Separating iPhone and iPad release flattens the top line as the hikes after new releases are spread over the year.

- let the iPad mini trail one generation of CPU/GPU compared to the full-size iPad or the iPad Pro to allow for a price differenciation

Until the release of the iPad 4 I think the iPads were always released after the iPhones, and with the latest release Apple indeed let the iPad mini trail one generation. But neither appears to be an actual marketing concept.

An iPhone release in the spring wouldn't work well in the U.S. The iPhone is Apple's bread and butter and the Fall/Winter is the biggest shopping season for the U.S.

It worked just fine before the 4S, why would a few months make a big difference?
  • Reply 45 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Hardly. In fact I'm not sure where this idea that iPad is overkill ever came from as you are not the only one I've heard it from. IPad simply doesn't have the performance to run one of its primary apps well which in case you are wondering is Safari.

The problem is we are talking entirely different markets here. IPad Air owners for the most part don't want a massive iPad. For big I can grab my laptop.

Knowing a few businessmen I highly doubt that.

Slurp's in the "Apple Can Do NO WRONG" crowd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I've never owned a device with TouchID, so I'm still very used to using a 4-digit code.  I've entered it so many times that I can literally do it subconsciously at this point.  Would it be more convenient to have TouchID?  Sure.  But $100 is steep premium for a few milliseconds of time saved.  Especially on a device that I don't use as often as my phone.

And I maybe buy something from the App Store or iTunes once every 4 or 5 days on average.  So again, $100 is a steep premium for a couple of seconds of convenience a few times a month.

Exactly. For the first few days after getting my iPhone 6 I kept trying to unlock the Air with the Home button, then I stopped. I really don't miss it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I can see Apple doing this approach. iPad Air 2 is extremely powerful and I never had any performance issues. Before I bought iPad Air, I had iPad mini and it was as fast as my new one. I don't see the point of refreshing again. It's robust, high performant, and stable. Now, with the iOS9 being more optimized for storage, I think it will have more time before it expires.

Right now...trust me, multitasking is going to make that Air 2 drag if you use it.

• Reply 46 of 105
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting comments!
    Actually I don't see this rumor to be so far fetched.

iPad Air 2: is still the most powerful pure tablet on the market. At it's current size, it still will be for some time to come.
    It wouldn't be if other platforms got traction in the marketplace.
    iPad Mini: could use one "last major" upgrade before being mothballed... IF... Apple has other plans/designs on the table for a smaller iPad Air but with a similar screen size. The iPhone 6+ as well plays into to this: same overall size but larger screen.
    One of the problems I have with Apple is their neglect of a product that isn't meeting whatever goals they have in mind at the time. This neglect turns the product into a Has been before it even gets traction in the marketplace. IPad Minis last half assed upgrade is a perfect example of this and has the consequence of completely cooling sales.
    iPad Pro: the flagship beast... again similar to iPhone 6+... that has everything Apple can throw into it to maintain high margins and get people to see a reason to upgrade. Also see below.
    That is a good comparison but imagine what would have happened if the 6+ came out with all new tech but the 6 came out running last years hardware. Everybody and their brother would have laughed Apple out of business.
    Current iPads just wont die fast enough... and stops the often stated mantra that Apple builds obsolescence into their devices. I have scores of clients still putting iPad 2's to good use in their businesses and families. Many saying they have no need to upgrade for the uses it's being put to at the moment, at the same time also having one of the Air releases for when they "need" more power.
    What does current uses have to do with future hardware. I have at work, machines running on PC hardware that is almost 20 years old which is fine for the work they do. However you can't rationally suggest buying the equivalent of 20 year old hardware today, certainly not with the software demands that are in place these days.

To put it simply, people don't go out to by the performance that was sold last year and certainly not a decade ago. They buy hardware to support the latest demands of the software they intend to run. With iPad, it can't even run its native apps like Safari in a fluid manner due to the lack of performance.

An iPad Pro though will get just about everyone to take a serious look towards upgrading, and an upgraded iPad Mini will offer the "economic drug" to the ecosystem without a contract. iPod is on it's last legs.
    No it won't! At least not if it is considerably bigger physically. The whole point of iPad is that it puts portability first and is extremely handy on the go.
    iPad Pro is VERY important to Apple, because it's here and at this size (~13') that we will see GOOD desktop features and strategy start to take shape. Apple needs to move as they always do at their own pace, but notebooks are dead and not coming back.
    Notebooks are hardly dead and are in fact a bright spot for Apple. Where this thought of yours came from I don't know but Apples sales figures have been impressive of late and defy what is happening in the rest of the industry.

Beyond all of that iOS is still very far away from being even a half decent desktop operating system. This from somebody that uses his iPad as unchanged as his laptop.
    Hybrid devices like the Surface, or dedicated ponies like Chrome are not the answer, and I think Apple has some very good plans on how to make this transition easy on users and make sense (cents) as it progresses. No need to wait for power to catch up, they need to start "mobile/desktop fusion" now.

Give me a break, Apples fusion is in the cloud! They probably snuck this past most people but iCloud is a virtual computer/store that is in a sense a virtual computer that one accesses with various Apple devices. Your Mac represents one level of access while Apple Watch is at the other extreme.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

They need to strike a balance of course.  But profit margin and gross margin cannot be ignored or they will end up like the Android hardware makers.

The Average selling price of iPads is really an eye opener.  From going to $600+ to about $400 is a huge drop.  Literally a 50% drop.  That needs to be reversed.

An iPadMini2 that sells for $299 is ridiculously cheap. I don't think Apple even makes money selling those after you factor in overhead/R&D/ect.  They really need to make the Mini out of plastic from now on.

I really doubt anyone who is in on Apple's strategic long term decisions would leak anything. So, that part "dropping the mini" is either 100% bunk (or will be right by chance ;-).

• Reply 48 of 105
    slurpy wrote: »
    Why don't you give us a rational explanation of how OSX on an iPad makes any sense whatsoever, considering people are mocking and deriding the 12" MacBook as a "gimped" and "pathetic" machine?
    If Apple is serious about the "Pro" name it would really help to have a more powerful operating system. This doesn't mean OS/X in my mind. It is the little things that "pro users" go for that makes sense. For example application scripting with a system common language is very useful. There are lots of little things that would attract more advanced uses if incorporated into iOS and its apps. Such features wouldn't turn the platform into a Mac OS.
    What possible reason would Apple have to put OSX on an iPad, considering the completely different internal architecture (ARM) and the fact that the iPad has no built in keyboard, a CRITICAL input mechanism for
    While I can't see Apple putting all of OS/X on an iPad, ARM means nothing in this context.
    Are you that excited to use OSX on a touchscreen, even though it's not made for one? That's literally the only thing the iPad has than the much more OSX optimized MacBook doesn't. iPads will always run iOS, which is getting MORE relevant (iOS9 on an iPad is much more multitasking friendly and powerful) not "less" relevant, as you state. If you think there's even a negligible percentage of normal people clamouring for OSX on an iPad, which makes no sense whatsoever, you're out of your mind.

Apple is certainly addressing some of the issues related to iOS that turns people off, but from what I can see hasn't gone far enough. Perhaps one of the most damaging policies they have is the MiFi program which means nobody uses iPad for one off apps that need to get around Apples roadblocks. This is really asinine on Apples part as iPad is almost ideal for one off usages in labs and such as it is thin and easy to network. It isn't so easy to hook up one off hardware though. I'm currently trying to figure out how far iOS 9 and XCode 7 go in addressing this MiFi issue.

In any event what I'm trying to point out is that much could be done to improve iPad by reworking iOS. This doesn't turn it into a Mac OS device, it just frees up users and developer to better exploit the platform.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Short of a good physical keyboard (BT connect fine) and hardware connect to 1 or more large screens, I don't see a way this 'kills' the laptop.

1) Who said anything about "killing" anything?

2) what does "fusion" mean to you?

Surely any device that will "eventually" take the place of laptops/desktops... will have a decnt keyboard of some kind or other, as well as be able to split to 1 or more screens.

This is just starting... baby steps as it were.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    The iPod is the Apple II of our time. Apple's going to ride it into the ground.
    I see A.P.P.L.E. Just released a new version of the IIGS operating system. The last rev was 20 some odd years ago.
    Especially since Apple released the worst product update in history with the Mini 3; I would hope they didn't expect it to sell in serious volume.

Nothing frustrates me more than Apples stupidity with respect to the lack of serious upgrades that lead to diminishing sales and eventually failed products. They have done this with Touch, Mac Pro, iPad Mini, MBA and many other pieces of hardware leading people to become hostile to Apple and its products. As noted Mini3 was especially bad in this context.

Buying hardware at premium prices that is effectively last years hardware (sometimes more than a couple of years old) just turns people off. Seriously look what happened to the Mac Pro before the new version came out, years of waiting lead many people to say screw and drop the platform completely. Which reminds me I have to wonder how Mac Pro sales are going after the early adopters got their new machines.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

I just hope Apple plans to put OS X on the the iPad soon. iOs might be good for phones but I think it's getting less and less relevant on the iPad. It's great it's getting bigger but ios will cripple any decent use you can get out of a big ipad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why don't you give us a rational explanation of how OSX on an iPad makes any sense whatsoever, considering people are mocking and deriding the 12" MacBook as a "gimped" and "pathetic" machine?

What possible reason would Apple have to put OSX on an iPad, considering the completely different internal architecture (ARM) and the fact that the iPad has no built in keyboard, a CRITICAL input mechanism for OSX? Are you that excited to use OSX on a touchscreen, even though it's not made for one? That's literally the only thing the iPad has than the much more OSX optimized MacBook doesn't. iPads will always run iOS, which is getting MORE relevant (iOS9 on an iPad is much more multitasking friendly and powerful) not "less" relevant, as you state. If you think there's even a negligible percentage of normal people clamouring for OSX on an iPad, which makes no sense whatsoever, you're out of your mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

Well first off Apple probably has a ARM version of OSX for the iPad internally, if not they could easily port it or design a line of ipads with a x86 chip. If you remember the time when OSX was in transition from the power pc to Intel all apps were cross compatible and it worked pretty well . The people this ipad will target are professionals. Professionals need to run professional apps like Photoshop, Autocad and ect. Regular ipad users like grandma's and consumers won't need more than the regular ipads and ios as all they do is surf the Web and check facebook. OSX already has ios like features built in so ipad users would not be completely alienated. As for a built in keyboard it would be so easy to implement it in OSX. As for the physical keyboard, well there are already so many ipad cases out there with keyboards. Apple could also design there own to get more revenue. As for the new macbook it's a first gen product, give it time. Just like when the MacBook Air was released it was horrible. Then a few years later it became a best seller. Now ios is irrelevant due to its lack of file explorer. Like I said in my previous post you can't even attach documents from the mail app in a email. You can't easily navigate and move or copy your files. File transfers are horrible in ios. All this said this is taking into consideration that the iPad pro will be targeted to the professional crowd.

• Reply 52 of 105
    All in I think Apple may actually be LOSING money selling the 1 year old Mini's at $299.
    Most likely Apple is making close to a $150 on each unit sold. That over cost to manufacture each unit and does not include other costs to get each unit into customers hands. This stuff is made amazingly cheap in the far east.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The iPod is the Apple II of our time. Apple's going to ride it into the ground.

No it's not.   For a very long time after the Mac was released, most of Apple's revenue was still coming from the Apple II.  That's when Apple came out with the "Apple II forever" marketing campaign.   

The iPod is not driving Apple's profits - quite the opposite.   That's not to say that I think they should stop making it.   It still makes sense for those people who want a high capacity music player that's not a phone, although as more and more people move to streaming rather than downloading, there may come a time in the not-too-distant future when it no longer makes sense.

• Reply 54 of 105
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Interesting comments!
    It wouldn't be if other platforms got traction in the marketplace.

Name ONE except for the Surface that has a fighting chance in hell at this time.
    One of the problems I have with Apple is their neglect of a product that isn't meeting whatever goals they have in mind at the time. This neglect turns the product into a Has been before it even gets traction in the marketplace. IPad Minis last half assed upgrade is a perfect example of this and has the consequence of completely cooling sales.

The iPad Mini was a "why not give it a shot" device from Apple. Someone thought that Google nexus and a number of other mini-sized devices might take off. They didn't, Apple didn't lose money like the rest of them, but I don't see it being worth the effort to keep around if a iPhone 6+ is available. Since THST is making serious money for Apple, all more reason to see how far they can take that device.
    That is a good comparison but imagine what would have happened if the 6+ came out with all new tech but the 6 came out running last years hardware. Everybody and their brother would have laughed Apple out of business.

The iPad is NOT the iPhone.... but yes, the 6+ is the flagship (better camera, etc.) and the 6 is it's little brother. Why would Apple gimp it any more than they did?
    What does current uses have to do with future hardware. I have at work, machines running on PC hardware that is almost 20 years old which is fine for the work they do. However you can't rationally suggest buying the equivalent of 20 year old hardware today, certainly not with the software demands that are in place these days.

To put it simply, people don't go out to by the performance that was sold last year and certainly not a decade ago. They buy hardware to support the latest demands of the software they intend to run.
    ???
    With iPad, it can't even run its native apps like Safari in a fluid manner due to the lack of performance.

Absolute cock-n-bull! No, the iPad 2 is not as fast as the Air versions. HOWEVER, on version 6 of iOS which I talked a lot of people to sticking with for the iPad 2, amazing that even content and script heavy websites work like a dream? Kids are using 'em... their in garages on workbenches, on kitchen counters, in the bathroom... whereever someone wants to connect without the need for the big guns or putting your expensive iPhone at risk. Most are nicked, scratched and have seen far better days.... but they still all work for the people that decided ONE new iPad would be enough for the family.
    No it won't! At least not if it is considerably bigger physically. The whole point of iPad is that it puts portability first and is extremely handy on the go.

Dollars to donuts Apple brings out the pro and it's no heavier than Air 1 and only slightly larger in overall size. Still portable, or are MBA 11" and 13" anchors?
    Notebooks are hardly dead and are in fact a bright spot for Apple. Where this thought of yours came from I don't know but Apples sales figures have been impressive of late and defy what is happening in the rest of the industry.

Couldn't agree more... as long as it's Apple notebooks (full stop).
    Beyond all of that iOS is still very far away from being even a half decent desktop operating system. This from somebody that uses his iPad as unchanged as his laptop.
    Give me a break, Apples fusion is in the cloud! They probably snuck this past most people but iCloud is a virtual computer/store that is in a sense a virtual computer that one accesses with various Apple devices. Your Mac represents one level of access while Apple Watch is at the other extreme.

What part of (iOS/OSX) "fusion" don't you understand?

Heavy lifting will still see the need for MBP, iMac and MacPro. However at some point Apple will start building out iOS to include what THEY think is needed and will work for 90% of computer users.

I think they will start that strategy with the iPad Pro.

*** Why so belligerent and bitter? Sorry I didn't have time for an in depth Marvin-style thesis... geez.... lighten up :rolleyes:
  • Reply 55 of 105
    pogo007 wrote: »
    Well first off Apple probably has a ARM version of OSX for the iPad internally, if not they could easily port it or design a line of ipads with a x86 chip. If you remember the time when OSX was in transition from the power pc to Intel all apps were cross compatible and it worked pretty well . The people this ipad will target are professionals. Professionals need to run professional apps like Photoshop, Autocad and ect. Regular ipad users like grandma's and consumers won't need more than the regular ipads and ios as all they do is surf the Web and check facebook. OSX already has ios like features built in so ipad users would not be completely alienated. As for a built in keyboard it would be so easy to implement it in OSX. As for the physical keyboard, well there are already so many ipad cases out there with keyboards. Apple could also design there own to get more revenue. As for the new macbook it's a first gen product, give it time. Just like when the MacBook Air was released it was horrible. Then a few years later it became a best seller. Now ios is irrelevant due to its lack of file explorer. Like I said in my previous post you can't even attach documents from the mail app in a email. You can't easily navigate and move or copy your files. File transfers are horrible in ios. All this said this is taking into consideration that the iPad pro will be targeted to the professional crowd.

[@]wizard69[/@]

^^^^ NOT in the slightest what I'm suggesting with the iPad Pro!!! ^^^^

Fusioning of iOS and OSX means taking into consideration 90% of everyday computer users, outside of business/enterprise or pro applications. Yes iCloud is at the kernel of the fusion, but their are still "take away" features in OSX that with clever engineering can be made useful on the iPad Pro.

You can forget full versions of Photoshop, AutoCAD and Co.... as well as multiple users... being added to anything resembling an iPad for quite a few years.

Note: Photoshop which I know inside and out and use 10 hours a day, needs to be rewritten for x86 computers, let alone before it ever gets close to an iPad from Apple. Not because of the lack of power, but because it's a duct-taped together piece of legacy spaghetti and is thoroughly inefficient.

Look to the guys/girls at Pixelmator and Serif (Affinity Photo = 2-4x faster at 1/3rd size vs. PS!) to do a "pro version" right for the iPad.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    First off nobody really cares what you want!
    My proposed lineup for Fall 2015:

iPad Pro - 12 inch - 64GB/128GB/256GB - plus more RAM - $799 / $899 / $999
    Apple has been far too stingy with flash in its iOS products and that needs to be addressed. As such a "pro" machine needs far more flash storage. RAM is likewise a problem but flash storage is a far more serious issue.
    iPad Air3 - 16/64/128 - $499 / $599 / $699
    Yeah let's have yet another revision that tries to sell last years hardware. The iPad AIR needs to have far more flash at each price point. The price of flash has dropped like a rock over the last two years and as such Apples current pricing levels have become too much of a ripoff. Apples high prices for each storage increment is actually lowering the average selling price because few people are willing to pay to get ripped off.
    iPad Mini - Plastic/A7 - 16GB only - $399
    I have nothing against plastic however 16 GB is a joke. I'd rather see the Mini repositioned as an iPod replacement for professional musicians. That would require far more storage but also reworking of the audio hardware.
    I want a clear distinction between the 3 lines.
    It is already there and is called screen size, even a blind man feel the distinction.
    I only want to sell Mini's to people who are extremely price sensitive (can't afford to pay the extra $100) or absolutely need that specific screen size.  I don't want people who are willing and able to pay for a regular iPad to compromise and buy a Mini just to save $100.
    You seem to want Apple to fail by design even more products. Oh by the way nobody compromises by buying and iPad Mini instead of an iPad Air. These are two entirely different products.
    I want the Pro for power users who need a larger screen or massive storage.  For $200 premium you pay for the Pro  vs the Air you will get a bigger screen, faster CPU, and more RAM.  For the $100 premium you pay for the Air vs the Mini you get bigger screen, faster CPU, and metal construction.
    That didn't work out very well for the laptop lineup. The 17" machine is gone in part because Apple tried to drive an artificially high price for the machine. Beyond that you seem to have no grasp at all that the primary distinguishing feature of a tablet is its size. IPad Air desperately needs a a higher performance SoC and screwing that platform over just so you can get artificial separation from the Pro is asinine. Nobody is going to by an oversized iPad to get a trivial speed increase.
    This price structure mirrors the iPhone 6S+/6S/6C tier we will see in the fall.

IPhones are an entirely different market than the tablet marketplace.
  • Reply 57 of 105
    The question Apple should be asking itself is why are these margins so low and why are people not buying the higher margin versions. It is pretty clear in my mind, people avoid the higher cost models due to the obvious rip off in pricing. Apple is simply charging way to much for trivial flash upgrades in its iPads. The cost of flash to Apple is far below what consumers pay and consumers can get some very nice deals on flash storage right now. Effectively Apple has driven the average selling price down buy offering poor value in the higher cost models.

Sadly with a little engineering and a change in marketing practices they could change the value equation easily and at almost no cost to Apple. They can do that buy simply offering faster SoC in the top end models. The cost to sort out higher performance chips is almost trivial and due to the SoC nature wouldn't require alterations to the PCB. In other words Apple could do a lot for the average selling price by offering a 15 to 20 percent faster SOC in the top end iPad Air.

In a nut shell I believe Apples problems are the direct result of the lack of value consumers see in the high end models.
    The key reason why Apple would get rid of the Mini is because it makes close to zero profit and it canibalzies there more expensive products (iPad and 6+).  Apple has said many times they are okay with canibalizing their own products.......if it means customers are buying the more expensive product.

Look at the iPadMini for $399.

That is ridiculously cheap. I bet to build an iPadMini cost almost exactly the same as an iPad. 

iPad gross margins are already low.  When it came out they said they were significantly lower than their other product lines (iPhone/Mac).  Company wide gross margins are about 40%.  So iPad is probably at 30%.  That is for the regular iPad.  

iPad $499  x Gross margin 30% = $150 gross margin

Apple also said the iPad mini GM was even LOWER! Probably about 25%

iPadmini $399 x Gross margin 25% =$100 gross margin

Now add marketing, sales, admin, ect. 

I would not be surprised if the Mini makes $0 after all expenses.  That is not sustainable.

Either Apple has too cancel the Mini, make the build cost much cheaper (plastic construction, old internals), or make it less desirable so very few buy it.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    auxio wrote: »
    I've never owned a device with TouchID, so I'm still very used to using a 4-digit code.  I've entered it so many times that I can literally do it subconsciously at this point.  Would it be more convenient to have TouchID?  Sure.  But $100 is steep premium for a few milliseconds of time saved.  Especially on a device that I don't use as often as my phone.

It's not just for unlocking the device. Many apps use Touch ID. It's so convenient in not remembering those passwords.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Apple didn't want people to buy the Mini3.  Thats the bottom line.
    Tough luck for Apple, they need to find a way to make their users happy and to make a profit at the same time.
    They make close to ZERO profit on the Mini3.
    Baloney! It would be silly of them to even have the product on the market if that was true. The profit isn't the same as a MBP but it is certainly larger than most of the accessories they sell.
     The only reason they sell it is for extremely price sensitive consumers and those who absolutely need that specific screen size.
    Actually I thought it was to have a competitive product to market against the Android machines.
    The year before the Mini2/Air had identical everything except screen size. Yet the Mini was a full 20% cheaper.  That hurt Apple's margins on iPad sales BIG TIME.  They do not want to make the same mistake.

I've seen no evidence that this was the case. Very few iPad users downsized, the Minis that where sold went to a different customer base. Further iPad sales have continued to slow even with the ridiculous upgrade to the Mini. As it is, proportionally the Mini was never a big seller compare to the iPad. You seem to have a bit of a fantasy going on here. Apples margin problems are directly related to consumers perception of value in iPad line up. To put it simply they aren't buying into Apples high prices for trivial amounts of flash.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Name ONE except for the Surface that has a fighting chance in hell at this time.
    I did say if another platform gets traction. As it is the faster hardware is out there to build such a machine.
    The iPad Mini was a "why not give it a shot" device from Apple. Someone thought that Google nexus and a number of other mini-sized devices might take off. They didn't, Apple didn't lose money like the rest of them, but I don't see it being worth the effort to keep around if a iPhone 6+ is available.
    I believe this was in fact a big reason for the Mini to exist, that is to protect its flank from the competition.

As it is I do see the possibility of a viable iPad product in that price range and that would be to give it features to make it a viable replacement of the iPod for musicians. Give the machine real features that makes it distinctive and worth the price.
    Since THST is making serious money for Apple, all more reason to see how far they can take that device.
    The iPad is NOT the iPhone.... but yes, the 6+ is the flagship (better camera, etc.) and the 6 is it's little brother.
    Even with iPhone the overwhelming majority of purchases are made due to size, not the camera. Size is everything with cell phones.
    Why would Apple gimp it any more than they did?
    ???
    Absolute cock-n-bull! No, the iPad 2 is not as fast as the Air versions. HOWEVER, on version 6 of iOS which I talked a lot of people to sticking with for the iPad 2, amazing that even content and script heavy websites work like a dream?
    You just lost your credibility here because I use an iPad daily for web access and no it isn't fast enough in fact it isn't even close.

That poor performance isn't all hardware though, I can't wait to have ad blocking in iOS 9.

Kids are using 'em... their in garages on workbenches, on kitchen counters, in the bathroom... whereever someone wants to connect without the need for the big guns or putting your expensive iPhone at risk. Most are nicked, scratched and have seen far better days.... but they still all work for the people that decided ONE new iPad would be enough for the family.
    Hell I got an old Linux box in my cellar but that doesn't mean I would go out and buy a new machine that performs the same. The box is already obviously slow. I'm not against recycling hardware, I actually keep a lot of old hardware around and runnable, but I don't reach for that hardware to browse the net when I want a decent experience.

Dollars to donuts Apple brings out the pro and it's no heavier than Air 1 and only slightly larger in overall size. Still portable, or are MBA 11" and 13" anchors?
    You can't compare tablets to laptops due to the way the two are used.
    Couldn't agree more... as long as it's Apple notebooks (full stop).
    In the PC world sales are suffering from the rather pathetic effort MS has put into the next Windows variant. They are trying to slowly update hardware at work and the OS isn't being received well by users. In effect upgrading a PC right now is taking a step backwards.
    What part of (iOS/OSX) "fusion" don't you understand?
    The two OS's will continue to remain independent for a very long time. There is no way professional users of Mac OS can put up with the restrictions seen in iOS. For some of us that would mean moving back to Linux.

Given that though I really don't think people understand how much is shared between the two platforms already. That sharing will increase in the future. However to describe this as fusion is complete nonsense.
    Heavy lifting will still see the need for MBP, iMac and MacPro. However at some point Apple will start building out iOS to include what THEY think is needed and will work for 90% of computer users.
    Well they can try but that would require fundamental changes to iOS that they have resisted so far. As others have mentioned somethings are extremely difficult to do in iOS. The simple act of attaching files to an e-mail was mentioned earlier and it is a serious issue because it is done daily in business.
    I think they will start that strategy with the iPad Pro.

*** Why so belligerent and bitter? Sorry I didn't have time for an in depth Marvin-style thesis... geez.... lighten up :rolleyes:

Huh? I'm not belligerent I'm just reacting to nonsense. IPad is a very very long way from replacing conventional operating systems due to some significant usability issues that Apple has yet to demonstrate solutions for. ICloud continues to be a mess and extends those usability issues.