Apple to update Magic Mouse & wireless keyboard with Bluetooth LE, integrated batteries, FCC reveals

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You young whippersnappers ...

image: http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61812/width/500/height/1000

Now, That's a chucklet keyboard!

IR instead of BT and 4 AA batteries.

How well did it function? Did the PC miss reading keys pressed at times, read them incorrectly, or did it have a problem if one was a fast typer?

I never used it! As an IBM Dealership we were required to handle them in our computer stores.

I don't think we sold many before it was discontinued.

This particular PC/Jr kb was a display model. Mark Hahn *, bought the PC/Jr compute (didn't want the kb) t to develop a proprietary box/software to edit movies digitally. It mainly involved Titles and Wipes ... Kinda' like iMovie -- but this was in the 1980's.

* Mark Hahn was a cofounder of Corvus and the technical genius behind most of their networking hardware and software. Steve Jobs and Mark always had sort of a pissing contest -- Corvus Omninet was a better, faster, cheaper, more flexible network than AppleTalk The Corvus Concept was a 68000 computer with full-page B/W CRT display that could be rotated into portrait or landscape. The Concept was released 2 years before the Mac and could use Apple ][ expansion cards.

• Reply 62 of 97
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlynH View Post

My needs are simple...I would settle for a keyboard with a full compliment of keys!

Where are the Delete, Page Up/Down, End, Home, Hash keys etc?

I'd also like to see a PrtScr key to save the finger gymnastics needed!

And when I order a UK keyboard Apple could at least invert the @ and " keys to put them in their correct positions for a UK keyboard.

Expect the new desktop keyboard layout to be influenced by the Macbook keyboard:

Please, do not offer the desktop keyboard with backlit keys. A backlit keyboard is an annoyance for those who have their computer in the bedroom.

• Reply 63 of 97
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mr o wrote: »
    Please, do not offer the desktop keyboard with backlit keys. A backlit keyboard is an annoyance for those who have their computer in the bedroom.

Why wouldn't you simply disable the backlighting if it's bothersome instead not wanting anyone to have it?
  • Reply 64 of 97
    I never used it! As an IBM Dealership we were required to handle them in our computer stores.

This particular PC/Jr kb was a display model. Mark Hahn *, bought the PC/Jr compute (didn't want the kb) t to develop a proprietary box/software to edit movies digitally. It mainly involved Titles and Wipes ... Kinda' like iMovie -- but this was in the 1980's.

* Mark Hahn was a cofounder of Corvus and the technical genius behind most of their networking hardware and software. Steve Jobs and Mark always had sort of a pissing contest -- Corvus Omninet was a better, faster, cheaper, more flexible network than AppleTalk The Corvus Concept was a 68000 computer with full-page B/W CRT display that could be rotated into portrait or landscape. The Concept was released 2 years before the Mac and could use Apple ][ expansion cards.

Interesting. I read on Wikipedia that they hacked into the system to establish their networking which was supposed to run pretty well. Also, they appear to have manufactured the first hard drives and networking stuff for the Apple II. It looks like they failed due to Ethernet arriving and the Concept's lack of compatibility.
  • Reply 65 of 97
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Why wouldn't you simply disable the backlighting if it's bothersome instead not wanting anyone to have it?

It would mean adding another button - read: complexity - to the keyboard.

Having said that, the backlit keyboard could switch its light off when there's no typing for 50 seconds? So yes, we could have a backlit keyboard without causing bedroom issues and draining the battery.

• Reply 66 of 97
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Having said that, the backlit keyboard could switch its light off when there's no typing for 50 seconds? So yes, we could have a backlit keyboard without causing bedroom issues and draining the battery.

1) It doesn't mean adding any additional keys. The F5 and F6 keys are already there.

2) The key complexity issue doesn't jibe with your previous comments about the bedroom.

3) I will be pleasantly surprised if they include that feature because it's not currently included with their current wireless keyboard, but if they do add it, I can't imagine they have have the backlight stay on indefinitely since that would obviously too draining on the built in batteries and I doubt very much they can make the battery last more than a month constantly lit up when idle.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    sirozha wrote: »
    Once I started using the Magic Trackpad 3 years ago, I never want to look back at any other pointing device. I can't even imagine computing with a mouse anymore even if it's a Magic Mouse...

There's just absolutely no comparison between the Magic Trackpad and the Magic Mouse. Using the Magic Trackpad does require one to learn the Apple's multitouch gestures, which only take a couple of hours to get used to.

I noticed a couple keynotes ago none of the Apple execs were using a MagicMouse on stage. I think I will probably be getting a MagicTrackpad in the next 12 mo. Certainly with my next Mac in the next 3-5 yrs.
  • Reply 68 of 97

Interesting. I read on Wikipedia that they hacked into the system to establish their networking which was supposed to run pretty well. Also, they appear to have manufactured the first hard drives and networking stuff for the Apple II. It looks like they failed due to Ethernet arriving and the Concept's lack of compatibility.

I don't think that's quite the way it happened.

The network did run well -- but it wasn't really hacked -- at least not on the Apple ][. The Apple ][ encouraged 3rd-party interfaces and published the contents of their ROMS with instructions on how to use them. Later, Apple did the same with the Mac. AIR, this was true for IBM-compatible PCs, too!

Corvus Omninet performed competitively with Ethernet and had significant cost and installation advantages.

Since the Concept accepted Apple ][ expansion cards it was compatible with most anything you could plug into an Apple ][.
    Networking[edit]
    In 1980 Corvus came out with the first commercially successful local area network (LAN), called Omninet.[citation needed] Most Ethernet deployments of the time ran at 3 Mbit/s and cost one or two thousand dollars per computer. Ethernet also used a thick and heavy cable that felt like a lead pipe when bent,[citation needed] which was run in proximity to each computer, often in the ceiling plenum. The weight of the cable was such that injury to workers from ceiling failure and falling cables was a real danger. A transceiver unit was spliced or tapped into the cable for each computer, with an additional AUI cable running from the transceiver to the computer itself.

Corvus's Omninet ran at one megabit per second, used twisted pair cables and had a simple add-in card for each computer. The card cost $400 and could be installed by the end user.[citation needed] Cards and operating software were produced for both the Apple II and the IBM PC and XT. At the time, many networking experts said that twisted pair could never work because "the bits would leak off"[citation needed], but it eventually became the de facto standard for wired LANs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvus_Systems

I don't know for sure, but I think the reason for Corvus' failure was that they expanded too fast -- to where their reach exceeded their grasp.

• Reply 69 of 97
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

if only we had the technology to optionally turn such a feature off. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 70 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've been a Magic Trackpad user for many years now, and it's my preferred input device. I feel that it is far superior and more enjoyable to use than a mouse. Besides being useful for a few niche applications, I consider mice to be stone age technology that is mostly used by neanderthals and procastinators who cling to the past.

However, I've gone through too many Magic Trackpads in the past few years, and my latest one died on me some months ago. It still powers on, but like the previous Magic Trackpads that have failed on me, it's just not reliable anymore, and the cursor has a mind of its own.

I refuse to purchase a new Magic Trackpad until Apple releases an updated version. It had better be coming soon. It would be inexcusable for Apple to not release a new, updated model very soon. It should have Force Touch, it should have the latest bluetooth, and I expect it to be rechargable with a built in battery, like the new devices mentioned in this article.

A few posters mentioned that the Magic Trackpad wasn't mentioned in this article because of secrecy reasons. That had better be the case, and I fully expect a new Trackpad to be unveiled when the next keynote comes around soon.:smokey:
  • Reply 71 of 97
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

if only we had the technology to optionally turn such a feature off. image

I don't have a Mac laptop right now, but I thought backlighting had a sleep / timer just like the screen backlight does. And then either wake by touch or wake by proximity. No?

• Reply 72 of 97
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

To this day, I don't understand why Apple never made a stand-alone add-on keypad. I would have bought one. Indeed I would prefer it as a separate device I could turn on or off, and keep it over on the right side of my mouse.

There is at least one company that makes one that (sort of) matches the design of the Apple keyboard. I bet Apple would have sold plenty, if they had made them.

Actually they did, a long time ago. :D

• Reply 73 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    “mr wrote: »
    Expect the new desktop keyboard layout to be influenced by the Macbook keyboard:

Sad face.

Or just turn it off, like you can do with every other backlit keyboard Apple makes, and then people who want it get another option.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Actually they did, a long time ago. :D

They did it twice, actually

• Reply 75 of 97
    loekfloekf Posts: 41member
    No happy with a Li-Ion battery. I used a Logitech re-chargeable mouse for years and its a real PITA if the battery is empty and you've to plugin an USB cable charger, specially because usually the charging cable is more restrictive (stiffer) than a normal mouse cable.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

Not a huge deal-breaker or anything, but I'd prefer if there were an AA version too (although there probably won't be).

What's the appeal of playing musical chairs with batteries when a plug is faster and easier? Imagine if your smartphone, tablet and notebook all hd external chargers and required the battery to be removed and a different battery inserted all the time. How is that easier than having the device itself allow the charging?

Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Actually it isn't. […] The exercise is done in a minute.

You say that "actually it isn't" and that it can be "done in a minute." Great, want to know how many times I can pull out and push in the Lightning connector from my iPhone in one minute? enough times that my iPhone wants to smoke a cigarette afterwards? I can connect my Apple Watch to it charger even more. So how is removing the battery port screw, removing the batteries, putting in the fresh batteries screwing the plug back in, hitting the power button again, waiting for the BT to connect, and then disposing of or setting the used batteries to recharge easier than popping in a plug without ever having to lose your connection to your system. One of those you can do in the middle of an email without ever losing the connection to the peripheral.

In principle, I agree.  Somehow, I get the feeling that you are lonely, though.  Hopefully, you have the 6 plus...

• Reply 77 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Quote:

Would you consider walking and chewing gum... complexity?

• Reply 78 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

image: http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61812/width/500/height/1000

How well did it function? Did the PC miss reading keys pressed at times, read them incorrectly, or did it have a problem if one was a fast typer?

The interesting think about the PC/Jr was that, apparently, Charlie Chaplin could carry the ENTIRE library of programs available for it in his arms.... stacked... in the boxes...  (half of which were from Sierra).  Oh, and IBM purposefully made it partially incompatible with PCs so that, um... so that....  At least it had more than four colors... sort-of.

• Reply 79 of 97

I would love a FLAT magic trackpad!

Can't use the one they have now because of the angle. Kills my wrist

• Reply 80 of 97
    roake wrote: »

solipsismy wrote: »

The interesting think about the PC/Jr was that, apparently, Charlie Chaplin could carry the ENTIRE library of programs available for it in his arms.... stacked... in the boxes...  (half of which were from Sierra).  Oh, and IBM purposefully made it partially incompatible with PCs so that, um... so that....  At least it had more than four colors... sort-of.

Somewhere in storage I have a numbered original of this poster. It was [supposed to be] Apple Internal-Only and only 100 were made: