'iPad Pro' expected this fall, will get Force Touch from new pressure-sensitive Apple stylus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

I think you are correct. As an artist I envision using it on a desk as a work tool rather than as for casual mobile consumption. Same with audio work. I do not envision this type of product as something you use in place of an iPhone. As for video consumption, I plan on plopping it down somewhere and enjoying the show rather than holding it with my hands.

I can imagine the iPad Pro as a valuable tool for professional photographers who want to check out their pictures on location (using Lightroom).

• Reply 22 of 95
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    My iPad2's battery is showing signs of its age.
    Bring them on Apple !
  • Reply 23 of 95
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cws View Post

What is most compelling about the iPad Pro is that it is a laptop killer. For the 70 percent of people who use their laptops for routine tasks like email, web browsing and word processing, the iPad Pro, coupled with a stylus and bluetooth keyboard cover, will be the hands-down product of choice. This is especially true now that Microsoft has made truly excellent versions of its Office apps for the iOS platform.

Once released, Apple will have achieved, through careful evolutionary steps, the optimal convergence of the laptop and tablet form factors. This was what Microsoft tried to achieve with their Surface product, but failed because they rushed the product to market before the hardware and software were fully baked.

Quote:

No I do not think that's the case at all. A Macbook is still the way to go if you need a laptop. If the work you do is mostly text input. This sounds like a great AV device. It looks useful for a lot of things, but not as a laptop killer,

Concur in part, and dissent in part. It is not a laptop killer. But it is a convergence product in a line of choices that all work together because they have been conceived to do so, unlike the MS beta products like the surface. I personally will not buy this iPad Pro, as I don't personally have a need. Others may feel differently (YMMV), but I will have a smaller iPad for simple consumption, but want a keyboard for mobile work that involves more than occasional typing. That is merely my preference, and it comes at some cost (separate devices cost more money.)

[Edit: I do see value to others that are involved in much hand drawing. It might be a huge boon to them. I don't, but I can see why artists might salivate.]

That said, this "insider" has a dubious track record. The product makes sense, but I'll believe it when Tim shows it to us.

Oh, and I presume the iPad Pro will function as a drone controller?

• Reply 24 of 95
    Large size + Stylus opens a use-case I've long considered:
    --> Sheet music display and markup

For all the kids taking piano lessons, carry the sheet music on the iPad Pro, display it at a legible size, and use the stylus to markup the music per your teacher's guidance.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    polymnia wrote: »
    These things would all work via USB 2 as well.

But speaking of Wacom...are they exclusive in their partnership with Microsoft in the Surface Pro? I'd love apple partnering with the tech leader in pen input. I own two of their intuous tablets already, and would love to replace the small one with a device with a screen and OS, but I'm not quite ready to actually go Microsoft, though I would want something capable of running real photoshop.

The last model of Surface Pro with a Wacom Digitizer was the SP2. The SP3 doesn't have it, and it was the sole selling point of the SP2 over the iPad. The SP3 switched to a cheaper, highly inaccurate n-Trig digitizer that is based on the touch display properties. People who need a "real stylus" eg artists were forced to go back to Wacom and get the Wacom Companion 2 for three times the price if they wanted an accurate digitizer in a tabletpc format. Like I can't express this enough... the only thing that the SP2 had over all other TabletPC's at the time it was released was that really accurate wacom digitizer. When they threw it away, the SP3 didn't end up on any artists recommendation lists. You were better off not wasting your money on the nTrig stuff. Either you bought the WC2 or you didn't buy anything and kept other "joke" implementations of a stylus for the iPad if you already had an iPad.

Like I love Apple and all, but if they release a half-baked battery-operated stylus for the iPad, it's as good as no stylus at all.

As a side-point, people who don't want to pay for Wacom's overpriced stuff have been buying Yiynova "cintiq alternatives" that use UC-Logic's technology. Apparently these are "good enough" to be comparable to Wacom's digitizer, but still use bulky battery-operated pens.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

I think it would be a great content creation tool.

We learned to use a mouse and keyboard for CAD work not because it was the best way to do so, but because it was the best way at the time.

We learned to to draw with Adobe Illustrator with a keyboard and a mouse not because it was the best way, but the best way at the time.

We learned to touch up photos with a keyboard and mouse not because it was the best way, but because it was the best way at the time.

As long as the gadget has the power and the software, it could go a long way in allowing more people to get things done better and faster and not be straitjacketed by a keyboard and mouse or the cost of dedicated niche specialty products,

And it's not one device or another, but in conjunction. With the inclusion of the USB C connector, I can see it it bust doors open for all types of work.

• Reply 27 of 95

If Apple is really coming out with a 12" iPad Pro then why can't they do they same thing that Microsoft is doing and shove a Core i5 or i7 into a tablet form-factor and put a full blown version of OSX on the device.  I feel like that this would be natural progression and would open the door for other OSX touch interfaces in the future.  I guess that's what the writer means when said this is "evolutionary" and not "revolutionary".  I want to run full versions of software on a 12+ inch device, not watered-down "lite" versions.  You want a surge in tablet sales again?  Put OSX on a 12 inch tablet and compete directly with the likes of Microsoft.  I would buy one in a heartbeat.

• Reply 28 of 95
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

It's funny to see the love affair between AI and Kuo come to an end - he is reduced to an "insider", and AI no longer is provided with the reports, but has to "obtain" them.

While I fully recognize that you have to really see, hold and use a product before passing final judgement, I personally am not that interested in the larger form factor.  I think the Air is a great size.  I would love to see FT and optional stylus be usable on the Air, but suspect that such functionality will not come this year.  Looking forward to seeing what these new capabilities + what we see in iOS9 will mean for improved/more functional iPad apps.

• Reply 29 of 95
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    misa wrote: »
    The last model of Surface Pro with a Wacom Digitizer was the SP2. The SP3 doesn't have it, and it was the sole selling point of the SP2 over the iPad. The SP3 switched to a cheaper, highly inaccurate n-Trig digitizer that is based on the touch display properties. People who need a "real stylus" eg artists were forced to go back to Wacom and get the Wacom Companion 2 for three times the price if they wanted an accurate digitizer in a tabletpc format. Like I can't express this enough... the only thing that the SP2 had over all other TabletPC's at the time it was released was that really accurate wacom digitizer. When they threw it away, the SP3 didn't end up on any artists recommendation lists. You were better off not wasting your money on the nTrig stuff. Either you bought the WC2 or you didn't buy anything and kept other "joke" implementations of a stylus for the iPad if you already had an iPad.

Like I love Apple and all, but if they release a half-baked battery-operated stylus for the iPad, it's as good as no stylus at all.

As a side-point, people who don't want to pay for Wacom's overpriced stuff have been buying Yiynova "cintiq alternatives" that use UC-Logic's technology. Apparently these are "good enough" to be comparable to Wacom's digitizer, but still use bulky battery-operated pens.

I kinda forgot that Wacom is making their own windows tablet now.

Which brings me back to the exclusivity of that relationship with Microsoft.

Do you think it is even possible for apple to license Wacom tech when Wacom is building windows tablets?
  • Reply 30 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

With a USB 3 connection, the iPad pro could be used as a Wacom Tablet, custom A/V keyboards and additional displays for a Mac.

Once they get Force Touch working on that size display, Apple could reduce the bezels to almost nothing and use it for components of a video wall.

These things would all work via USB 2 as well.

But speaking of Wacom...are they exclusive in their partnership with Microsoft in the Surface Pro? I'd love apple partnering with the tech leader in pen input. I own two of their intuous tablets already, and would love to replace the small one with a device with a screen and OS, but I'm not quite ready to actually go Microsoft, though I would want something capable of running real photoshop.

Samsung has been using Wacom digitizers in every Note phone since it came out in 2011. They also use Wacom digitizers in their Note 10.1 series of tablets that debuted a couple of years ago.

I don't think there is any exclusive agreement with any specific company, but I could be wrong about that.

• Reply 31 of 95
    It's definitely intriguing. My question would be how this could potentially play in to an Apple TV subscription service as it is a 2K screen based on rumors and web analytics logs and would be big enough as a personal TV connected to an Apple TV hub. Then there are the possibilities with lifestyle apps and enterprise. I'm interested in how they place this device.

The solution to sagging book sales: make the pages bigger. /s
  • Reply 32 of 95
    brucemc wrote: »
    It's funny to see the love affair between AI and Kuo come to an end - he is reduced to an "insider", and AI no longer is provided with the reports, but has to "obtain" them.

Several sites polished his knob, not just this one. 9-5, MR, BI, BGR. The usual rumor mill suspects. What makes it funny is that AI used almost the same lengthy boilerplate description for Kuo in every article, with only a few variations.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    The pro is going to fall flat on its face for two reasons. One, not built for extreme weather conditions and doesn't allow for multi-user sign on.... The consumer is slow to change out iPad vs. iPhone and if they want to sell to the enterprise they will need to do this.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

What price points are we expecting?

32/128/256  -  $699/$799/$899 

I guess it depends on the cpu/gpu and ram. I would also expect a 256 to be over 1000.00 or at least at 999.00. If Apple is giving it a "Pro" instead of a "Plus" then maybe the specs will be higher then the iPhone or iPad. 

• Reply 35 of 95
    This product (Pro) is doomed to have the lowest sales numbers as consumers don't want this large of a screen. If the play is the enterprise customer then missing the mark there as well.

Apple has to come to the realization that the iPad vs. iPhone upgrade levels isn't going to happen. For the iPad Pro to be successful they need to build a tablet that works in extreme weather conditions as well as offer multi-use sign on. They have to make Pro truly Pro by having those features.
  • Reply 36 of 95

Where'd all those people go who claim the entire industry is 'blatantly copying' Apple go?

• Reply 37 of 95
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Do you think it is even possible for apple to license Wacom tech when Wacom is building windows tablets?

Anything's possible, but that is so far from making sense it defies imagination. Between Apple's second-to-none touch sensors and the coming of force touch to all devices, not only does Apple have no need to partner with Wacom, they're going to wipe the floor with them.

• Reply 38 of 95
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I think it would be a great content creation tool.

We learned to use a mouse and keyboard for CAD work not because it was the best way to do so, but because it was the best way at the time.

We learned to to draw with Adobe Illustrator with a keyboard and a mouse not because it was the best way, but the best way at the time.

We learned to touch up photos with a keyboard and mouse not because it was the best way, but because it was the best way at the time.

All those applications are typically used with keyboard shortcuts. The thing about the iPad is you can't use the keyboard and draw at the same time. For precise illustration you often need to hold Shift for constraint or Option for duplication. There are literarily dozens of essential shortcuts for that type of work. Having to constantly work around the lack of simultaneous key and drawing functions would be a huge disadvantage and would significantly decrease one's productivity.

• Reply 39 of 95
    cornchip wrote: »
    And I bet the stylus could just clip onto the side magnetically just like SmartCover. 

Sweet.

Or the stylus could just be worn to avoid losing it: http://m.instructables.com/id/Edward-Scissorhands-Costume-On-the-cheap/step3/Making-the-scissorhands/
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:

No I do not think that's the case at all. A Macbook is still the way to go if you need a laptop. If the work you do is mostly text input. This sounds like a great AV device. It looks useful for a lot of things, but not as a laptop killer,

maybe not a killer, but it will cut off a lot of markets.

Laptops aren't mobile... they are transportable.   My definition of mobile computing is interaction, while mobile.

Just came out of a meeting where we spoke of 3,000 sales people who will be in the field doing job bids, needing to draw on satellite map (think drainage/roofing/landscaping), that is dynamically linked to GPS ("Dig... HERE!... discharge pipe. start here(tap) (walk) end here (tap)... okay... that's 201' 6"... at xxx per foot...)  They currently need a lap to use the laptop... being able to go back to the 'clipboard UI' (in the crook of the arm, with a stylus/finger), and voice data entry for annotations  is 100% the UX they want.

They currently use some iPads,  but the 'window pane' of controls constrains the map,  and are looking at Dell tablets (that suck in every other way but screen size) to get a bigger screen.  iPad Pro... Perfect.

my guess is this will weigh less than the iPad Air 1.   That's doable, especially avoiding carrying a keyboard at the job site.

and a 12"