'iPad Pro' expected this fall, will get Force Touch from new pressure-sensitive Apple stylus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All those applications are typically used with keyboard shortcuts. The thing about the iPad is you can't use the keyboard and draw at the same time. For precise illustration you often need to hold Shift for constraint or Option for duplication. There are literarily dozens of essential shortcuts for that type of work. Having to constantly work around the lack of simultaneous key and drawing functions would be a huge disadvantage and would significantly decrease one's productivity.

Nonsense. Anyone, especially if you use these tools on a daily basis such as myself knows that  the keyboard and mouse combo for art is the least intuitive way to work imaginable. You get the hang of it, you get used to it, you get good at it, but it's in no way the preferred way anyone wants to work.

And there will be of course shortcut options that are iPad-specific. That's the very least of it. 

• Reply 42 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

I guess it depends on the cpu/gpu and ram. I would also expect a 256 to be over 1000.00 or at least at 999.00. If Apple is giving it a "Pro" instead of a "Plus" then maybe the specs will be higher then the iPhone or iPad. 

and I think it will be plus.  pro is what we/analysts are tagging it with.

Pricing will be interesting, as I sense a loaded (LTE full memory) system will only slightly overlap the entry level Macbook.   Note I didn't say 'Air' (retina macbooks will wash out the 'air' line)  The Macbook will come down to those pricepoints ($899).   I don't think you'll see a $1150USD iPad, so I would think the top top (12"/256/LTE) of the line will be $999, and work backwards from there. 

And for GPU... I doubt there will be 'new' iPads with different CPU/GPUs... but I could be wrong... maybe variants (a9X with more GPU cores for a larger screen), but the base cpu/gpu speed/comp power will be the same.

• Reply 43 of 95
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Kuo?

no thanks: when he made that humungous 10% (53 million ships) quarter forecast baseless whiff I lost all interest in his spasms.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

Nonsense. Anyone, especially if you use these tools on a daily basis such as myself knows that  the keyboard and mouse combo for art is the least intuitive way to work imaginable. There will be of course shortcut options that are iPad specific. That's the least of it. 

Ok, take away your keyboard and only use the on screen keyboard viewer and see how you like it. Also I purposely did not mention the word 'mouse' in my post.

• Reply 45 of 95
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    cornchip wrote: »
    Anything's possible, but that is so far from making sense it defies imagination. Between Apple's second-to-none touch sensors and the coming of force touch to all devices, not only does Apple have no need to partner with Wacom, they're going to wipe the floor with them.

While I'd be very pleased if you are right, Wacom is a very mature technology/software platform.

Since this is where I make my living (designer & photo compositor) please understand my skepticism that apple will blow away Wacom. They didn't put Microsoft out of the Office game with iWork. They didn't put adobe out of the photo catalog business with aperture. While Apple has been a great platform on which to double a creative workflow, the creative tools have been less than inspiring to me so far. I suspect most professional Wacom users will skip anything short of true Wacom tech, unless a clear pro-level rival is offered.

Like I said before: I'd love to be proven wrong and see amazing technology from Apple in the pen input area.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Quote:

Ok, take away your keyboard and only use the on screen keyboard viewer and see how you like it. Also I purposely did not mention the word 'mouse' in my post.

You are straightjacketing yourself to position that is foolhardy. It would be a much better way to work, nobody said there would not be well designed software to leverage the thing, or that people would not have a wireless keyboard for it to the side, or in conjunction with it.  

That it can support great software for it is about the only real concern for any pro interested in it . 

• Reply 47 of 95
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Yet another Digitime rumours...
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:

That it can support great software for it is about the only real concern for any pro interested in it . 

I was referring specifically to the three apps mentioned by the OP. CAD, Illustrator, Photoshop, all of which I am a decades long expert in. My work is mostly technical and I use keyboard combinations every minute of the work day. Sure, some people think of digital art as exclusively drawing and painting with a Wacom, but even in that scenario you are much more efficient with the keyboard in conjunction with the stylus. I could give dozens of very specific examples, but if you use those apps on a daily basis as you say then you should already know what they are.

• Reply 49 of 95
    Quote:

I was referring specifically to the three apps mentioned by the OP. CAD, Illustrator, Photoshop, all of which I am a decades long expert in. My work is mostly technical and I use keyboard combinations every minute of the work day. Sure, some people think of digital art as exclusively drawing and painting with a Wacom, but even in that scenario you are much more efficient with the keyboard in conjunction with the stylus. I could give dozens of very specific examples, but if you use those apps on a daily basis as you say then you should already know what they are.

And that's the problem it SOLVES. They are not intuitive and people need to learn the shortcuts so they could get shit done. Things that can be done intuitively on paper. Yes after years of practice you get the hang of it, and become really good at it. That's not saying much. You and your ridiculous notion that lack of your shortcuts is it's flaw, the way you are used to using the apps is how they should always be.

Its the same problem with having people use any new tools. Do you know how hard it is to get teachers to try new tech for example? After many years they are so ingrained in doing things the way they have, like you and your precious short cuts that it takes a complete new generation to make a complete change. Have people die off essentially. It's the same with anything that requires people to abandon old ways and things that need  to "get used to". Try telling people over 50 that a smartphone is easier and better than a flip-phone. They become myopic.

• Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:

And that's the problem it SOLVES. 

I'm not sure what "it" is, but I can tell you if you are referring to simply a stylus then I challenge you to do CAD, Illustrator, or Photoshop work with just one hand. That is the disadvantage of the iPad. You can have only one input at a time, save multi-touch. If you want to sample a color in Photoshop for example, hold the Option key and and select the color. If you had to do that with one hand, you would need to go to the menu and pick up the color sample tool and go back the the area you needed to sample, return to the menu to reselect your brush and go back the artwork. Three to four times more effort. I could write a book, oh wait, I did that already.

• Reply 51 of 95
    Quote:

I'm not sure what "it" is, but I can tell you if you are referring to simply a stylus then I challenge you to do CAD, Illustrator, or Photoshop work with just one hand. That is the disadvantage of the iPad. You can have only one input at a time, save multi-touch. If you want to sample a color in Photoshop for example, hold the Option key and and select the color. If you had to do that with one hand, you would need to go to the menu and pick up the color sample tool and go back the the area you needed to sample, return to the menu to reselect your brush and go back the artwork. Three to four times more effort. I could write a book, oh wait, I did that already.

Sounds like it's time for you to write a new one. 

• Reply 52 of 95
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    mstone wrote: »

100% agree with you! We're also at the same level of expertise, and I also have trained literally 100's of graphic designers over the years that are unarguably some of the most valuable assets to the companies I contract for. (Toot toot!)

Productivity Lesson #1: learn the shortcuts! Not only for the apps but for OSX as well!

A close #2: ditch the bloody mouse... the Wacom can do everything with more precision and just as well as the mouse can.

#3 - now let's have some fun with macros and scripting... and then give them some more shortcuts :smokey:

I've been using a Wacom since the first ADB ones hit the market in the early 90's, and I'm actually a fish out of water with a mouse in comparison. Love Apple trackpads though. Also, I disable the buttons on the Wacom and place my keyboard on a custom riser behind the tablet, that then allows the keyboard to sit parallel to the edge of the active drawing area of a medium Wacom.

Note: I just recently trashed 3 versions of the A3 UD tablets. Those were some serious desktop real-estate hogs in the day. ;)
  • Reply 53 of 95
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Sounds like it's time for you to write a new one. 

A far less arcane shorter one.

Wait, "books"?

Video tutorial.

• Reply 54 of 95
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    With a USB 3 connection, the iPad pro could be used as a Wacom Tablet, custom A/V keyboards and additional displays for a Mac.
    The big thing with USB-C (something I'm hoping for) is that the need for Apple specific adapters goes away. This would be a huge improvement for ALL iOS devices. The question then becomes will Apple free up developers to use that port without having to sign up for MiFi. Likewise will iOS get the ability to support third party drivers.
    Once they get Force Touch working on that size display, Apple could reduce the bezels to almost nothing and use it for components of a video wall.
    Force Touch really has little to do with bezel size.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

100% agree with you! We're also at the same level of expertise, and I also have trained literally 100's of graphic designers over the years that are unarguably some of the most valuable assets to the companies I contract for. (Toot toot!)

Productivity Lesson #1: learn the shortcuts! Not only for the apps but for OSX as well!

#2: ditch the bloody mouse... the Wacom can do everything with more precision and just as well as the mouse can.

You're both 100% on the same level of myopia that's for sure.

If you KNOW to dump the mouse, then you KNOW why this is such a great drawing tool. That you need to TRAIN ARTISTS to learn arcane nonsense to get the benefit of yesterday's technology, then you should also know why this would make a far better drawing tool, or in conjunction with other devices/applications.

More intuitive tools like the iPad pro will prove to make it more accessible and easier for artist and designers to get their work out there  without the need of you two.

Doubling down on this by either of you two is a  lost cause that will only prove to make both of you look even more foolish.

• Reply 56 of 95
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    rp2011 wrote: »

And that's the problem it SOLVES. They are not intuitive and people need to learn the shortcuts so they could get shit done. Things that can be done intuitively on paper. Yes after years of practice you get the hang of it, and become really good at it. That's not saying much. You and your ridiculous notion that lack of your shortcuts is it's flaw, the way you are used to using the apps is how they should always be.

Its the same problem with having people use any new tools. Do you know how hard it is to get teachers to try new tech for example? After many years they are so ingrained in doing things the way they have, like you and your precious short cuts that it takes a complete new generation to make a complete change. Have people die off essentially. It's the same with anything that requires people to abandon old ways and things that need  to "get used to". Try telling people over 50 that a smartphone is easier and better than a flip-phone. They become myopic.

First: calm down kiddo!

Now... I'm going to take a crack at speaking for the Old Farts you're frustrated with here. Neither mstone or myself are saying that something can't come along and be better than what we're using now. However, I... neither do I think mstone.... thinks that's going to be the iPad Pro no matter whether stand-alone or as an extension to OSX.

Now with that said, there has been some research leaked quite a while back that Adobe was working on some new predictive interface HUDs for Photoshop tools and IIRC for Premier. That would be an interesting start. But again, until the software starts making better use of the devices whether touch or power desktop, productivity is still going to be higher and most efficient using a keyboard and yes... keyboard shortcuts.*

* In the years that I've been teaching Adobe software and on Macs as well as Windows PCs, I've ran across a handful of people that were so blindingly fast with a mouse, that I said, OK... stick to it. While most that I can remember were all serious gamers, a young girl retoucher that I work with can klick-paint masks in unison with manipulating opacity with the keyboard that has to be seen to be believed. I'd swear she has genes from a hummingbird mixed with a woodpecker on crack. She also uses a very light touch and silent gamer mouse on the Mac. However just for fun, I gave her an Apple mouse just to see what she would say.... and hear how fast she could click a second. Amazing was my reaction... meh was her reply.

So enough with Old Fart war stories... wait! Did I tell ya the one ab........... just kiddin' :p
  • Reply 57 of 95

To those debating the the [B][I] need for a kb [/I][/B] vs the [B][I] need for a more modern tech [/I][/B] -- for photoshop. CADD, etc. -- from the article:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61932/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

It appears that there may be a middle ground -- a popup tool tray ...

Think about it! It could be tailored to the app and customizable by the user -- and would would support 2-handed operation that easily could exceed what you can now do with a kb.

For example, while drawing with stylus (or finger), you could simultaneously change both line color and line width.

Or, be able to approximate finger painting or oil painting brush strokes by pushing on the display.

I am reminded of the mass rejection by established video editors, when Apple introduced the [B][I] magnetic timeline in FCPX.[/I][/B] Now, many new ( and quite a few established) editors have found they are more productive with this revolutionary tech,

I'd like to be able to manipulate the timeline with my fingers and a stylus.

• Reply 58 of 95

So enough with Old Fart war stories... wait! Did I tell ya the one ab........... just kiddin' :p

Yeah ... But, I bet that I'm older and fartier than either you or [@]mstone[/@]
  • Reply 59 of 95
    wizard69 wrote: »
    With a USB 3 connection, the iPad pro could be used as a Wacom Tablet, custom A/V keyboards and additional displays for a Mac.
    The big thing with USB-C (something I'm hoping for) is that the need for Apple specific adapters goes away. This would be a huge improvement for ALL iOS devices. The question then becomes will Apple free up developers to use that port without having to sign up for MiFi. Likewise will iOS get the ability to support third party drivers.
    Once they get Force Touch working on that size display, Apple could reduce the bezels to almost nothing and use it for components of a video wall.
    Force Touch really has little to do with bezel size.

Well ... maybe it does. The Apple Watch illustrates the advantages of Force Touch with no bezels. In an app, you can even ignore the crown to scroll a list or pan/zoom by swiping along an edge -- it's very natural. And, Force Touch makes it unnecessary to have a Home Button on the front.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

First: calm down kiddo!

Now... I'm going to take a crack at speaking for the Old Farts you're frustrated with here. Neither mstone or myself are saying that something can't come along and be better than what we're using now. However, I... neither do I think mstone.... thinks that's going to be the iPad Pro no matter whether stand-alone or as an extension to OSX.

Now with that said, there has been some research leaked quite a while back that Adobe was working on some new predictive interface HUDs for Photoshop tools and IIRC for Premier. That would be an interesting start. But again, until the software starts making better use of the devices whether touch or power desktop, productivity is still going to be higher and most efficient using a keyboard and yes... keyboard shortcuts.*

* In the years that I've been teaching Adobe software and on Macs as well as Windows PCs, I've ran across a handful of people that were so blindingly fast with a mouse, that I said, OK... stick to it. While most that I can remember were all serious gamers, a young girl retoucher that I work with can klick-paint masks in unison with manipulating opacity with the keyboard that has to be seen to be believed. I'd swear she has genes from a hummingbird mixed with a woodpecker on crack. She also uses a very light touch and silent gamer mouse on the Mac. However just for fun, I gave her an Apple mouse just to see what she would say.... and hear how fast she could click a second. Amazing was my reaction... meh was her reply.

So enough with Old Fart war stories... wait! Did I tell ya the one ab........... just kiddin' image

Let me tell you where I am coming from on this, I have a masters in technology in education. I teach both teachers and kids. Kindergarten kids come to class already versed in touch technology and intuitively touch any screen whether it's touch sensetive or not to make it work. Teachers on the other hand are hard to get up to speed.

MStone's argument was baffling in that he stated lack of shortcuts were detrimental to the iPad pro and therefore not as good or whatever, not even having ever worked with said device, or taking in consideration a keyboard accessory. I haven't the the thing either for that matter. But I do know that putting a pen to a screen or paper and having direct input is far more intuitive than any other method. That's the key shortcut. Not to say there wont be any others. That's it.

But I hope you do see how a device like this will make technology far more accessible to anyone manipulating art, design and drawings than any other method. That's a no brainier. No offense to old farts, but thinking otherwise IS myopic.