Windows 10 adoption up to 75M devices nearly one month after launch, Microsoft says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lymf View Post

I think when corporations will agree to update their entire networks the number will grow substantially. How many of these computers are own by a company and managed my sysadmins?

Agreed. Also back to school sales from devices not yet activated. And lets not forget, black friday is around the corner.

• Reply 22 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

How is this to Microsoft's credit? It's not like 75million users went out and bought Windows 10. By default, OEMs will pre-install whatever the latest MS OS is, no matter how good or how shitty it is. It has nothing to do with how much it's loved from a users perspective. I'm sure it didn't hurt that this OS was also "free" (kind of). 

• Reply 23 of 84
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

How is this to Microsoft's credit? It's not like 75million users went out and bought Windows 10. By default, OEMs will pre-install whatever the latest MS OS is, no matter how good or how shitty it is. It has nothing to do with how much it's loved from a users perspective. I'm sure it didn't hurt that this OS was also "free" (kind of). 

Most users will also install it because it's free. Anyone currently running Windows 7,8 or 8.1 can install it for free. 

• Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Slightly flawed analysis. First, You need Windows 7 or higher aleady. I'd bet hundreds of millions of those PCs are using an older OS. Second, MS did not push Windows  10 to all users at launch. The roll out is gradual. The more telling stat is how many of those 75M are new computers and how many are upgrades.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. If you used share of browser use by OS as a proxy, Windows XP is <10%. You can easily find estimates of this if you search for it.

Unless you have better data on share of different versions of Windows of PCs currently in use. If so, please share, with a cite or a link. If not, I'll stick with my estimate.

• Reply 25 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Unless you have better data...

The only thing I’d mention is that this is only data of computers connected to the Internet. There could be a large number of non-connected devices in third world countries or used as secondary machines elsewhere.

• Reply 26 of 84
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I installed it as a VM on my Mac.  It's a necessity because many of my clients are still running Windows shops.  

I like it, especially when compared to Windows 8.   I'm also happy that they finally jettisoned Internet Explorer.

It's what Windows 8 should have been.  I'm not a fan of how Microsoft is forcing data collection, so I'm going to take the wait-and-see approach to how it goes.  For now, it's still teething so my clients will stick to Windows 7 & 8.

Looks promising though.  I really hope Microsoft doesn't do something hugely stupid with this.

• Reply 27 of 84
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I'm determined to wait patiently for Windows 9...seems like the safest way.

• Reply 28 of 84
    dtracedtrace Posts: 59member

Well, I don't disagree that the app store is hugely important for Microsoft.  The definitely do need to get developers, and thus consumers interested there.  However, Microsoft has to do two things at once - grow the user base of Windows 10 quickly, and monetize that user base.  There is some degree of monetization that will happen from the app store, but a lot more will come from licensing the OS until the app store gets more mature.  Basically, they seem to be doing it right when it comes to solving the app gap problem, where devs don't develop apps because there are no users, and users don't buy the product because there are no apps.  Rest assured that if Microsoft could have pulled in $99 per license times seventy five million, they absolutely would have, but the free upgrade was basically payment to get interest in their platform.

FWIW, I don't believe there is an MS app store in Win 7, and I don't think there ever will be.

• Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing I’d mention is that this is only data of computers connected to the Internet. There could be a large number of non-connected devices in third world countries or used as secondary machines elsewhere.

That's fine. I'd like to see numbers that are better than my estimates.

Otherwise there is no reason to change mine, is there....

Add: Btw, China alone, officially part of the "third" world, has twice the number of internet connections (~600M) as the US does. So, I am not sure about the "third" world claim either.

• Reply 30 of 84
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:

I’m still going to install it, but I’ll be heavily modifying the hosts file and monitoring outgoing connections. If Microsoft feels that they can circumvent their own hosts file, I’ll teach myself how to block connections at the modem itself.

OH AND DID I MENTION THAT WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS 8 RECEIVED FORCED UPDATES TO DO THE EXACT SAME? 

I don’t think I did.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ectospheno View Post

The bulk of the "privacy issues" people complain about in Windows 10 were applied to Windows 7 and 8 as updates. If you are fully patched on 7 or 8 but complaining about 10 then you are woefully uninformed.

Do you have any technical articles (not "Chicken Little" articles) about the Win7 changes that phone home similarly to Win10? I'll search for this later, but obviously you are more up-to-date than I am about this (I only thought Win10 phoned home). Thanks.

• Reply 31 of 84
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Otherwise there is no reason to change mine, is there....

Nope, you’re right. Internet-connected devices tend to be the ones that are the most relevant these days, and most like to think they’re the only relevant ones.

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

Do you have any technical articles (not "Chicken Little" articles) about the Win7 changes that phone home similarly to Win10? I'll search for this later, but obviously you are more up-to-date than I am about this (I only thought Win10 phoned home). Thanks.

Indeed I do.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708

• Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:

Indeed I do.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708

Thanks. On the surface, this KB seems to imply that blocking TCP port 443 will stop the two-way telemetry.

This post-Snowden world is scary, or maybe my eyes are just being opened to the hidden shite that's going on around us (I think it's the latter).

• Reply 33 of 84

This post-Snowden world is scary, or maybe my eyes are just being opened to the hidden shite that's going on around us (I think it's the latter).

The world has always been scary. And conspiracies are often proven to be right.

“"

• Reply 34 of 84
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I doubt Corporate IT is allowing people to install 10 on work computers, and this is where most of the PC are currently being used. So yeah MS just proved cheap people will install anything that is free. I am assuming they are making money off all the app store download since 10 probably made most of the user apps not work well so they had to pay to upgrade their apps once they realize they did not work and they could not go backwards, Great strategy give the OS away and make it back on apps.

I know most companies I work with said they will not be upgrading since their IT departs do not want to deal with the issues they know they will have with enterprise apps they use.

• Reply 35 of 84
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I doubt Corporate IT is allowing people to install 10 on work computers, and this is where most of the PC are currently being used. So yeah MS just proved cheap people will install anything that is free. I am assuming they are making money off all the app store download since 10 probably made most of the user apps not work well so they had to pay to upgrade their apps once they realize they did not work and they could not go backwards, Great strategy give the OS away and make it back on apps.

I know most companies I work with said they will not be upgrading since their IT departs do not want to deal with the issues they know they will have with enterprise apps they use.
    My company is upgrading to win 10 next year and it is a multinational. Corporate IT is gunho for us to go over as soon as poss.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Does the enterprise version have the same data mining mechanisms as the Home version?

• Reply 37 of 84
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Interesting point you make. Win 10 has gotten favorable reviews, but all that really means is that Windows users have gotten back to the same sub-standard UX that they were accustomed to before the Win 8 disaster.
  • Reply 38 of 84

Does the enterprise version have the same data mining mechanisms as the Home version?

Yes, but some can be turned off, whereas on non-enterprise versions setting it to “Off” means it stays on. See the big image in my first post above.

• Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

Interesting point you make. Win 10 has gotten favorable reviews, but all that really means is that Windows users have gotten back to the same sub-standard UX that they were accustomed to before the Win 8 disaster.

The manufactures are REQUIRED to install the latest release of Windows..... it is part of their agreement with Microsoft.  They cannot install a prior version on new computers (speaking of consumers not corporate clients).  

• Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:

Yes, but some can be turned off, whereas on non-enterprise versions setting it to “Off” means it stays on. See the big image in my first post above.

Good golly. "...but if it's off for a while, we'll turn it back on automatically." Keylogger. File syncing. Share contacts from Outlook, Skype, Facebook.

I couldn't find where they turn on the cameras and microphones automatically to protect me from myself.