Key 'iPhone 6s' upgrades reaffirmed to be Force Touch, rose gold color, improved cameras & Touch ID

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alvinguzman View Post

Besides, this is easily the biggest iPhone upgrade (besides new casing) ever:

• Reply 42 of 84
    Welcome to 2009 apple users

doing some math on how fast apple releases actual improvements, you guys get new features every 5 years, you guys have had the iphone 4s renamed and rebranded every year until now.

So by mayhbe the year 2050 you will love water resistance, NFC (not only for apple pay), quad core cpu's.

lol
  • Reply 43 of 84
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    What many aren't quite getting is that increasing iPhone sales YoY is less about any one "must have" feature vs. continual improvements in multiple areas, including the broader ecosystem beyond the phone itself, than has been in the past.  A new case change every 2 years is important to keep the look fresh, but it is hard to point to any one feature in a release and indicate that it is what is driving sales.  The iPhone 6 series was all about the larger sizes, not any one specific feature, as it was clear this was important to a broad audience.  What else was "marquee" - ApplePay?  Only available at the time, in limited areas, in the US.  The iPhone 6 was better in many areas though (CPU/GPU, screen, camera) which keeps as "premium" in the minds of the masses.

In most of the world, the iPhone is either purchased outright, or on contracts, meaning the phone is held for 2 years or longer.  While the % who upgrade every year isn't known, it is believed to be a small number.  The growth comes from those upgrading from 2 years or older models, plus those switching from other platforms.  Many will go to the flagship/new phone, regardless of its specific features.  Most have come to expect that each year's is better than the last.  

The iPhone 6s will do well, as majority of installed base has not yet upgraded to "6 series", and Apple will continue to gain more switchers from Android than they will lose.  Not that I want Apple to get complacent, but I believe the 6s will do well regardless of specific features.

Most people I know with iPhones are not "techies" (at least w.r.t. phones), and they just get either the latest phones, or 1-year old model, whenever it is time to upgrade.  They have little idea why one is better than the last - they have just come to prefer iPhones (and the ecosystem) to trying something else.

• Reply 44 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I hope they have more up their sleeve, Force Touch is as much of a selling point to consumers as the A7 being 64-bit was...aka next to none.

Of course I want the bozos to release a new iOS 9 beta; they're looking like they plan to ship broken code again otherwise.

Bozos? I've been running iOS9 for a while on my 5S, and it's damn solid. These "bozos" have more skill than you will ever achieve in 50 lifetimes. Incredible how entitled you always are, and how nasty your posts always are towards Apple employees. What are your accomplishments again, that gives you the right to continually bash and mock people working on software/hardware that hundreds of millions of people use daily?

Right. 

• Reply 45 of 84
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Is it sad that the only feature I'm interested in from that list is the rose gold colour?

This doesn't bode well for sales, if flat or below are predicted. Apple really needs to lift their game. This tick tock thing is really limiting.

Give us 1080p in the iPhone 6s Apple! Then I'll upgrade in a heartbeat! Without that, I'll probably stick with my 5s.

What do you mean 1080p?  The iPhone 6 already shoots video in 1080p (60fps, and also slow-mo).  Do you mean the 4.7" iPhone needs to have a 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution for screen (which has nothing to do with "p" by the way)?  Which the 6 plus already does?  Which you probably should get if screen is most important attribute.

So if the 4.7" gets an upgrade from 326ppi to 401ppi you will call that a major change & upgrade, but all of the other rumoured improvements are meaningless and would not interest you at all to upgrade from a 5s.

Strange...

• Reply 46 of 84

I can't wait to buy a rose gold iPhone, because the only thing I like more than gawdy fake gold is pink shit. /s

• Reply 47 of 84
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new features likely won't include a sapphire cover lens

Wait, what?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Not one average user will care too much about the housing and the RAM. The forward "flash" is actually a white screen, so I am sceptical as to it's efficiency. More MPs, sure, higher numbers are always good for uninformed buyers :-)

I think you meant efficacy, but I understood your intent ;)

• Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Wait, what?

I think you meant efficacy, but I understood your intent ;)

Actually, I wanted to type effectiveness ;-)

• Reply 49 of 84
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    brucemc wrote: »
    In most of the world, the iPhone is either purchased outright, or on contracts, meaning the phone is held for 2 years or longer.  While the % who upgrade every year isn't known, it is believed to be a small number.  The growth comes from those upgrading from 2 years or older models, plus those switching from other platforms.  Many will go to the flagship/new phone, regardless of its specific features.  Most have come to expect that each year's is better than the last.  

The iPhone 6s will do well, as majority of installed base has not yet upgraded to "6 series", and Apple will continue to gain more switchers from Android than they will lose.  Not that I want Apple to get complacent, but I believe the 6s will do well regardless of specific features.

Most people I know with iPhones are not "techies" (at least w.r.t. phones), and they just get either the latest phones, or 1-year old model, whenever it is time to upgrade.  They have little idea why one is better than the last - they have just come to prefer iPhones (and the ecosystem) to trying something else.

And Apple will carefully market one or two select features and make those highly desirable selling points. I think Force Touch will be one, and the improved camera another. The marketing will make those seem super delicious. All the other minor upgrades will make the new phone irresistible. I don't think there will be a a new 'magical' feature. I am your classic target. I still have a 5s which works fine but I am drawn to the 6. Now that an improved 6 is coming I am not sure I can resist and hold off until 7. To be honest, Apple Pay is more of a selling point for me (when it finally arrives in Canada). The introduction of a new improved model just helps the decision making process.
  • Reply 50 of 84

It would be nice to fix fragile glass issues before introducing Force Touch... or one could break glass just with fingers... that is how fragile that screen is which i found out hard way just yesterday.

• Reply 51 of 84
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Not one average user will care too much about the housing and the RAM. The forward "flash" is actually a white screen, so I am sceptical as to it's efficiency. More MPs, sure, higher numbers are always good for uninformed buyers :-)
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hehe. "It is one brighter" ;-) Almost forgot about that one

• Reply 53 of 84
    Everyone saying force touch isn't a selling feature is assuming it would just be the ability to press harder and cause some other function to happen. What everyone is forgetting is that force touch also comes with the taptic engine. This allows the screen to click like a button. Therefor it allows buttons on the screen to click like real buttons. This could be used to great effect for things like the keyboard, where currently touching a key means pressing the key.

With force touch and the taptic engine, touching a key could mean touching it, while clicking it means actually pressing it. Think about that for a minute.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Who is "reaffirming" this? Oh right, the same guy who pulled it out of his rear end last time. That's what passes for confirmation around here?
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Great, just what the world needs: more 16GB iPhones.
    I can't honestly believe Apple would do this yet again.
    For god's sake make 32GB the minimum storage option already.
    So many people go for the cheapest iPhone without realising how limiting 16GB storage is until well after they start using the device, trying to download a few games etc. Then they are stuck with an almost useless device for 2 years... I wish I had $1 for the number of times I've heard that complaint it really does affect Apple's user experience which I thought was paramount?
  • Reply 56 of 84
    brucemc wrote: »
    What do you mean 1080p?  The iPhone 6 already shoots video in 1080p (60fps, and also slow-mo).  Do you mean the 4.7" iPhone needs to have a 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution for screen (which has nothing to do with "p" by the way)?  Which the 6 plus already does?  Which you probably should get if screen is most important attribute.

So if the 4.7" gets an upgrade from 326ppi to 401ppi you will call that a major change & upgrade, but all of the other rumoured improvements are meaningless and would not interest you at all to upgrade from a 5s.

Strange...

Yeah I want 1080p resolution on the 6s for maximum video quality but the 6 Plus is too big for me. Is that too difficult to understand?

Watching videos is one of my (and I suspect many) most used features. I have plenty of 1080p content but the 6 Plus just isn't practical.

In this day and age less than 1080p and I feel like I'm missing out (which technically I am a lot of the time).
  • Reply 57 of 84
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member

As someone who purchases  a new iPhone model each year, I'll be trading in my 6 Plus for a 6s Plus. I haven't always been enamored with

each "s" year upgrade, but that never stopped me from purchasing it. The phone consistently excels at everything it's capable of doing and that's good enough for me. 

Wallet open and ready for 9/9.

• Reply 58 of 84
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Is it sad that the only feature I'm interested in from that list is the rose gold colour?

This doesn't bode well for sales, if flat or below are predicted. Apple really needs to lift their game. This tick tock thing is really limiting.

Give us 1080p in the iPhone 6s Apple! Then I'll upgrade in a heartbeat! Without that, I'll probably stick with my 5s.

They're predicting 80-85M phones sold.... That's significantly more than the breakout 75M last year....

So, what on earth does lift their game mean!

That's like saying Jordan needed to lift his game because we've never seen him dunk with his foot.

Give us something useless that uses up battery will you... Yep, that's totally how Apple works (sic).

• Reply 59 of 84
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member

Depends on the Apps that integrate ForceTouch, maybe there will be some "killer" application for it, apart from shortcuts.
    Improved cameras are actually a minus this time around for me, as 
    a) Apple still does nothing to make uploading all your TB of Pics/Vids to the cloud attractive, and
    b) local storage will use much more space for the same casual shots.

I hope, you're right with your last statement.

Who is to say they won't make positive changes to iCloud?
  • Reply 60 of 84
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    Yeah I want 1080p resolution on the 6s for maximum video quality but the 6 Plus is too big for me. Is that too difficult to understand?

Watching videos is one of my (and I suspect many) most used features. I have plenty of 1080p content but the 6 Plus just isn't practical.

In this day and age less than 1080p and I feel like I'm missing out (which technically I am a lot of the time).

They might