Key 'iPhone 6s' upgrades reaffirmed to be Force Touch, rose gold color, improved cameras & Touch ID

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 84
    I for one am kinda on the fence about getting the new phone.
    Every 2 years I go for the "S" upgrades because of the faster processors and the new added features they put in the device.
    Why I'm on the fence, is because of their software. Hardware is only good as its software, and the iOS 8 series has been a nightmare for me, just like I'm sure it has been for everybody else. From loss of cell signal, to deletion of ringtones of music, to the all famous and the bug I'm still dealing with till this day is the battery drainage.
    Tim was soooo gun Ho on getting the software out at a rapid pace because of this watch and the inking of the beats deal, both still have me itching my head that he just thought iOS 8 was gonna be just fine. You had to have quite a bit of free storage just update to the software that has been plagued from the beginning.
    We had to go to a bigger size to compete with the likes of Samsung etc.
    All I known I'm gonna wait and see.
    Force touch - intrigued
    New color- not so much
    New cameras- as long as I don't have to listen to phill Schiller drone on and on about his fixation and hard on love for taking pictures.
    Can't wait to see what they are gonna do next. They are either impress me "us", or it's just gonna be another lump of disappointment on the software front.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by idrey View Post





    Who is to say they won't make positive changes to iCloud?



    Years and years of experience for one...

  • Reply 63 of 84
    aussiepaul wrote: »
    Great, just what the world needs: more 16GB iPhones.
    I can't honestly believe Apple would do this yet again.
    For god's sake make 32GB the minimum storage option already.
    So many people go for the cheapest iPhone without realising how limiting 16GB storage is until well after they start using the device, trying to download a few games etc. Then they are stuck with an almost useless device for 2 years... I wish I had $1 for the number of times I've heard that complaint it really does affect Apple's user experience which I thought was paramount?

    It's a bit like putting a 50 hp engine into a Ferrari, isn't it? The whole discussion around the cloud is he future is just creating fog around the fact that that's very little local space. And with the new cameras it will be filled even more quickly.

    On the other side, I haven't seen a breakup of the numbers and I cannot tell based on facts
    A) what the distribution of the individual memory sizes is, and
    B) what the customer satisfaction is for each of those three sizes.

    Maybe, most of the buyers of he entry level don't need more than 50hp? Could be older people using is mostly as a phone, no apps eg.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    imac.usr wrote: »

    Years and years of experience for one...

    My expectations on that end are so low that I'd even be happy with the free amount of 5GB PER device already.

    I have no clue about the costs of maintaining the cloud storage. If Apple is about selling hardware as they said then why not say: here's our premium hardware and best of all: you don't need to care about storage. It's all there and all for free. Heck, is even pay more for the phone if I would not have this idea of someone constantly sucking some cash from your bank account just to have the chance to use what they advertise to the full degree.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,942member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Roly View Post





    Yeah but sapphire cover lens does not suggest screen to me. It suggests camera lens. This seems plain wrong to me.

     

    The way it was written, I got the same impression. Could be they meant the screen, but that sounds like a prediction from well connected analyst Captain Obvious.

  • Reply 66 of 84
    I have had 3 iPhones and all were the 16gb model. I never really saw a need for more but I have to admit not having around half of my music library with me(uConnect vehicle in the last year) and having to manage space for updates is something that will push me to go for more memory this time around. I will go for the 64gb and while it would be nice for them to raise the bar from 16 to 32 I personally wouldn't even go for it as I'm sure I'll run out sooner than later and be in the same spot.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,086member
    My expectations on that end are so low that I'd even be happy with the free amount of 5GB PER device already.

    I have no clue about the costs of maintaining the cloud storage. If Apple is about selling hardware as they said then why not say: here's our premium hardware and best of all: you don't need to care about storage. It's all there and all for free. Heck, is even pay more for the phone if I would not have this idea of someone constantly sucking some cash from your bank account just to have the chance to use what they advertise to the full degree.
    I have a Terabyte of free cloud storage and use only 3% of it. Shame I can't market the excess. :D
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljm8283 View Post



    I for one am kinda on the fence about getting the new phone.

    Every 2 years I go for the "S" upgrades because of the faster processors and the new added features they put in the device.

    Why I'm on the fence, is because of their software. Hardware is only good as its software, and the iOS 8 series has been a nightmare for me, just like I'm sure it has been for everybody else. From loss of cell signal, to deletion of ringtones of music, to the all famous and the bug I'm still dealing with till this day is the battery drainage.

    Tim was soooo gun Ho on getting the software out at a rapid pace because of this watch and the inking of the beats deal, both still have me itching my head that he just thought iOS 8 was gonna be just fine. You had to have quite a bit of free storage just update to the software that has been plagued from the beginning.

    We had to go to a bigger size to compete with the likes of Samsung etc.

    All I known I'm gonna wait and see.

    Force touch - intrigued

    New color- not so much

    New cameras- as long as I don't have to listen to phill Schiller drone on and on about his fixation and hard on love for taking pictures.

    Can't wait to see what they are gonna do next. They are either impress me "us", or it's just gonna be another lump of disappointment on the software front.



    I upgrade every 2-3 years. I have the 5S and have absolutely no complaints (the best iPhone I've ever owned). Apple Pay is the next killer feature for me, but if the 6S rumors are true (2GB RAM and improved camera - if it has f/2.0), it would prove irresistible.

     

    But all the past "S" upgrades have been deceivingly very good. Just because they're not wrapped in a new housing every year doesn't mean the improvements are insignificant. For the 5S, TouchID was the killer feature for me.

     

    The software will catch up. I had the 4, and iOS7 noticeably slowed it down until later upgrades. I think the 64-bit A processors (starting with the 5S) are a lot more future-proof than the previous ones.

  • Reply 69 of 84
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,942member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by formosa View Post

     

    I think the 64-bit A processors (starting with the 5S) are a lot more future-proof than the previous ones.


     

    OR at least future-resistant :D

  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

     

     

    OR at least future-resistant :D




    Yes, there is no such thing as <anything>-proof! (water-proof, scratch-proof, bend-proof, etc.)

  • Reply 71 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post





    Or it represents Craig's philosophy, which is ship and fix later.



    By your logic, eight betas of El Capitan means it's a total dog, right?

     

    There is no beta 6 because it was not needed. It is well known that there was no beta 6 planned for iOS 7 or 8, but both unfortunately required it for some critical patches.

     

    By my logic, by Apple's logic, by developers' logic....just about anyone except for a troll with an agenda...its easy to understand what's going on.

  • Reply 72 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

     

     

    Improved cameras are actually a minus this time around for me, as 

    a) Apple still does nothing to make uploading all your TB of Pics/Vids to the cloud attractive, and

    b) local storage will use much more space for the same casual shots.

     


    You must be joking, otherwise you're being intentionally ignorant.

    I can't even begin to imagine what you mean by "attractive" but I have to assume its a misplaced use of the word instead of just saying "Free" like you really mean. The only people who criticize Apple's cloud software solutions are the people too cheap to pay for it.

     

    iCloud Photo Library works perfectly, and makes more sense than anything Apple has ever done before. It beats the hell out of the competition too, even though I couldn't care less about that...like I'm really going to let Google touch my photos.

     

    Combined with iCloud Photo Library, the option to Optimize Storage is brilliant...it takes GB's of photo and video down to mere MB. All of which is retrievable just by viewing the photo/video. It doesn't get any better than this.

  • Reply 73 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tadd View Post



    It would be nice to be able to do a resolution reduction in Messages. sending an iPhone 6 image is already way too tedious when I'm not on WiFi. I expect the 12Megapixel image to be even more so. It would be nice to have Messages automatically reduce the image size (or increase compression?) by default and offer me a full-resolution image as an option. I am looking forward to having even higher resolution images. I'd also like real focus and a larger lens. I'd rather have a great camera than a thin phone. I'm already putting the thing in a plastic case that increases the thickness by 50%. It just has to fit in a dress-shirt pocket.



    I thought the 64bit phone worked noticeably faster than the previous year's phone. I didn't take notes though so that's coming from the shaky grey matter.



    My wife will upgrade from the iPhone 5s to the new phone ASAP. Our service provider, Verizon, did not offer me any 1-year contract or month to month service plan that was reasonable sounding when I got the iPhone 6 in Sept 2014. From a conversation I had with a Verizon salesperson it looks like it won't cost me much more to upgrade in 1 year instead of 2, even using my stone-age contract because of the value of the 1-year old iPhone 6. We'll see what happens in the next week or so.



    It took this long to finally be able to send full resolution images through iMessage and you and to go backward on that? No, I don't think so.

     

    Get bandwidth. 

  • Reply 74 of 84
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I have a Terabyte of free cloud storage and use only 3% of it. Shame I can't market the excess. :D

    I know where to get this for free as well. But mummy said it's an evil place ;)

    That's not the point. I mean it should be in Apple's understanding of how to offer a product. Like I hate when you buy a cat and they try to charge you extra for the carpets inside.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    pmz wrote: »
    You must be joking, otherwise you're being intentionally ignorant.
    I can't even begin to imagine what you mean by "attractive" but I have to assume its a misplaced use of the word instead of just saying "Free" like you really mean. The only people who criticize Apple's cloud software solutions are the people too cheap to pay for it.

    iCloud Photo Library works perfectly, and makes more sense than anything Apple has ever done before. It beats the hell out of the competition too, even though I couldn't care less about that...like I'm really going to let Google touch my photos.

    Combined with iCloud Photo Library, the option to Optimize Storage is brilliant...it takes GB's of photo and video down to mere MB. All of which is retrievable just by viewing the photo/video. It doesn't get any better than this.

    Yes, I'm being ignorant on purpose.
    Ignorant beyond 1 TB.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,086member
    I know where to get this for free as well. But mummy said it's an evil place ;)
    No mine is quite legitimate. Came with the computer I bought.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by igorsky View Post

     

    Lots of criticizing/dismissing of Force Touch while having no idea as to how it will actually work.  You guys are awesome!


     

    You must be new here. Hating everything new is the de rigueur.

  • Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by idrey View Post





    They might

     

    They should.

     

    The iPhone 6 should have been 1080P from day one.

  • Reply 79 of 84
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,942member
    technarchy wrote: »

    The iPhone 6 should have been 1080P from day one.

    Yeah! Should have had a 12MP camera, 2Gigs of RAM and 128Gigs of storage too!

    Wtf
  • Reply 80 of 84
    It would be nice to fix fragile glass issues before introducing Force Touch... or one could break glass just with fingers... that is how fragile that screen is which i found out hard way just yesterday.

    you pressed your screen so hard it broke? care to explain?
Sign In or Register to comment.