New Apple TV with App Store game downloads predicted to drive 24M sales in 2016

Comments

• Reply 61 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

I don't understand why console will not be able to upgrade.  MS and Sony release frequents updates to their consoles, and I haven't seen any problems with their apps.  Just to make sure, I was referring to the console itself, that it's replacement is about 5-6 years. 

The rest of your post may apply to the XOne with the Windows 10 / DirectX 12 upgrade, with the advantage that MS expand to PC's / notebooks.

What you describe can be done with the Wii U and the new controller, and it haven't help Nintendo at all. 

what frequent updates?  The first Xbox was released in 2001, there have been all of two new version since then.  The first playstation was released in 1994.  There have been all of 3 new versions since then.  Repackaging the same hardware doesn't count as a new version.

PS4 won't play games you bought for earlier consoles.  You have to buy a digital version.

Xbox one only supports some Xbox 360 games.

The Wii U won't do what I describe.  What I described involves every player in the game using their iPhone or iOS device to see their private pieces/cards, etc without having to pass a device around, which is awkward in games where passing the device would take more time than actually taking a turn and adds the limitation that you can't look at your cards/pieces to plan ahead when it's not your turn.  Developers can pretty much assume everyone playing will have their own private iOS device and can write custom game companion apps for those devices.

Sure for the time being some people will buy consoles to get the best performance in games like Destiny, which my son loves.  But there are a lot more people who don't care about those kinds of games who also enjoy playing games.  A lot of those people have a problem with the cost of the consoles.  $350 + $50 for each additional controller + $50 + for each game.  Contrast this with an Apple TV that costs in the ballpark of $99-149, uses devices you already own for game controllers, and where the games are under $10.  At $99 you could buy 4 generations of Apple TV for the cost of a single Xbox One plus a second controller.  For people who don't care about games like Destiny, what do you think there are going to choose?

Also, we really don't know what the actual game performance of the new Apple TV will be until tomorrow. The rumor is A8.  The A8 in the iPhone does 115 GFLOPS.  The A8X in the iPad does 230 GFLOPS.  Which one is it or could it be a new variation with a different GPU?  A PowerVR GT7900 does 800 GFLOPS.  It's a pretty safe assumption that Apple will have some devices with GT7x based tomorrow.  If it's not in the Apple TV tomorrow, something like that or better would certainly be expected in the future.

• Reply 62 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Also, we really don't know what the actual game performance of the new Apple TV will be until tomorrow. The rumor is A8.  The A8 in the iPhone does 115 GFLOPS.  The A8X in the iPad does 230 GFLOPS.  Which one is it or could it be a new variation with a different GPU?  A PowerVR GT7900 does 800 GFLOPS.  It's a pretty safe assumption that Apple will have some devices with GT7x based tomorrow.  If it's not in the Apple TV tomorrow, something like that or better would certainly be expected in the future.

One other thing to remember, that A8x is 230 GFLOPS with just one chip, that number will be higher with a second chip if that actually comes out to be the case. Also, something else to consider: The current statistics for the A8x is based off from mobile performance. If they don't have the battery worries, who knows what kind of performance the A8x can actually perform.

• Reply 63 of 123
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Apple's great advantage here is that iOS titles are in many cases the first mobile versions to be released, Android is normally later, and the rest is either years behind or not happening at all. Assuming easy portability for existing titles, there should be plenty off stuff in no time, including a lot that is not available anywhere else yet. This is not McDonalds by any stretch of imagination.

But why would someone play a casual game on a TV rather than a mobile device? A true gamer will still want a console or a PC ( not including Mac). Apple has never gotten the gaming world and iOS becoming a platform for casual gaming was developers taking advantage of a new opportunity. Casual gaming on a TV has a long history and has not worked for a very long time and has never really worked at all in North America.

The casual games, to me, seem to be very elementary compared to what goes into a major console/PC franchise game.

As far as iOS having an advantage over Android you have to wonder if the low cost world of Android isn't better suited to low cost gaming.
  • Reply 64 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

That's because the 3rd gen Apple TV was too weak to handle Air Play.  A number of game streaming boxes are already out that can play stream full console or desktop PC games.  I think most of the Apple folks are way behind the 8-ball regarding what's been happening in the gaming industry.

The console industry has a great year with many AAA titles the smashed sales records.  I don't think iOS will have any impact because casual gamers aren't the target audience.  

There's not one iOS game featured in the Major League of Gaming.

You have it backwards, the iPad/iPhone will be extensions of the Apple TV games, not the other way around.  Kind of like how the Apple Watch extends the apps on the iPhone.

• Reply 65 of 123
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pmcd wrote: »
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Apple's great advantage here is that iOS titles are in many cases the first mobile versions to be released, Android is normally later, and the rest is either years behind or not happening at all. Assuming easy portability for existing titles, there should be plenty off stuff in no time, including a lot that is not available anywhere else yet. This is not McDonalds by any stretch of imagination.

But why would someone play a casual game on a TV rather than a mobile device? A true gamer will still want a console or a PC ( not including Mac). Apple has never gotten the gaming world and iOS becoming a platform for casual gaming was developers taking advantage of a new opportunity. Casual gaming on a TV has a long history and has not worked for a very long time and has never really worked at all in North America.

The casual games, to me, seem to be very elementary compared to what goes into a major console/PC franchise game.

As far as iOS having an advantage over Android you have to wonder if the low cost world of Android isn't better suited to low cost gaming.

There's a thought that just occurred to me. A great many games on iOS are built to be played in portrait mode. All TVs are viewed in landscape mode, so how is that going to work with portrait games?
  • Reply 66 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Nintendo has 2 distinct businesses. They lose money on consoles but rule portable gaming with their handhelds. Apple's battle with their handhelds is still going strong with no clear winner in terms of marketshare. This new ATV will wipe out Nintendo's console business instantly but not portable.

The winner is clear, Nintendo is building games for iOS.  I really wouldn't be shocked if they were on the stage tomorrow.

• Reply 67 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

To play with their family.  The big shared screen makes the shared experience better.

• Reply 68 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    danvm wrote: »
    IMO, Apple already beat Nintendo with casual gamers.  What I'm not seeing is those gamers moving to play games in the TV.  That's something Nintendo tried with the Wii and Wii U, and failed even though they have a great library of games and a very innovative controller.

The Wii was a success. They have a great library of first person titles. Third person titles are lacking variety.
  • Reply 69 of 123

I'm fairly certain that no matter how many ATVs are sold, no matter how many people play games on those ATVs, no matter for how many hours nor how much money they spend on those games, that certain people will always declare those people to be not "true gamers" (serious, hard-core), meaning superior. They will always denigrate people who play games on iOS and iOS devices, and the ATV will not escape this no matter what transpires in ATV gaming, and the ATV will by them be declared to be a failure regarding games for a whole list of reasons, none of which will make any sense, except they will all have declared themselves to be superior game players, true gamers, you know, the ones who are the only *real* gamers that exist in life. Anything else will always be a failure. You see it in the labels they attach to people who play games on iOS, you see it in the comments in this thread and many others.

For me a success would be that 1) they open an App Store with games available, 2) people play games on the device and enjoy them such that developers create more and new fun games for the platform that I can buy and enjoy playing.

• Reply 70 of 123
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I think that a lot of "casual gamers" buy XBox or PS4 either because they themselves don't understand the distinction or because they misidentify themselves as more hardcore than they really are... until they start using it.

For instance, my family got an XBox and then hardly ever used it.

So I think that a new casual gaming device, if done well and marketed well, could make a dent in some of these console sales.

Casual gamers are happy

Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

what frequent updates?  The first Xbox was released in 2001, there have been all of two new version since then.  The first playstation was released in 1994.  There have been all of 3 new versions since then.  Repackaging the same hardware doesn't count as a new version.

PS4 won't play games you bought for earlier consoles.  You have to buy a digital version.

Xbox one only supports some Xbox 360 games.

I was referring to OS updates in the console, but now I got your point.  Like I mentioned before, looks MS move to that direction with Windows 10 and DirectX 12, with the benefit of playing in mobiles, consoles, PC's, notebooks and tablets with Windows 10.  And that without the need to replace my devices every 2-3 years. 

Quote:

The Wii U won't do what I describe.  What I described involves every player in the game using their iPhone or iOS device to see their private pieces/cards, etc without having to pass a device around, which is awkward in games where passing the device would take more time than actually taking a turn and adds the limitation that you can't look at your cards/pieces to plan ahead when it's not your turn.  Developers can pretty much assume everyone playing will have their own private iOS device and can write custom game companion apps for those devices.

Maybe they don't have a card game, but in Wii Sports Club you can use the GamePad as an extension for the golf and and baseball game.  For example, the pitcher can choose the type of pitch with being seen on the TV.  And in the golf game you can use the GamePad to position the ball and simulate the swing over it while keeping the main game on the TV.  If I understood correctly, you refer to using the iOS device as controller and extension of the game being played in the TV, and the Wii U GamePad do that. 

Quote:

Sure for the time being some people will buy consoles to get the best performance in games like Destiny, which my son loves.  But there are a lot more people who don't care about those kinds of games who also enjoy playing games.  A lot of those people have a problem with the cost of the consoles.  $350 + $50 for each additional controller + $50 + for each game.  Contrast this with an Apple TV that costs in the ballpark of $99-149, uses devices you already own for game controllers, and where the games are under $10.  At $99 you could buy 4 generations of Apple TV for the cost of a single Xbox One plus a second controller.  For people who don't care about games like Destiny, what do you think there are going to choose?

Consoles have a many high quality indie games, with prices similar to iOS games.  Console costs is higher, but when you consider that you can play low cost games, AAA games and use it as media devices (now even the XOne works as a DVR), isn't that too expensive.  But like you mentioned, there is a group of people how don't care for consoles, and the ATV may work for them, or even may not work and they'll keep playing in their mobile devices.  I don't think every casual iOS gamer will benefit and playing games in a large TV, when they can play any time at any place without an ATV. 

Quote:

Those specs will make sense as soon as I see ATV games looking better, playing better and with better physics than consoles.  Until then, they are only specs. 

• Reply 71 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Maybe they don't have a card game, but in Wii Sports Club you can use the GamePad as an extension for the golf and and baseball game.  For example, the pitcher can choose the type of pitch with being seen on the TV.  And in the golf game you can use the GamePad to position the ball and simulate the swing over it while keeping the main game on the TV.  If I understood correctly, you refer to using the iOS device as controller and extension of the game being played in the TV, and the Wii U GamePad do that. 

yes, I know how that works, I have a Wii U.  The limitation is playing multiplayer games where you have pieces or cards you want to keep secret.  Games like Words with Friends, Poker, etc, etc, where it makes game play better if each person has their own controller where they can view their own pieces.  When the developer can assume that everyone playing the game has their own touch screen device, it opens up gaming possibilities that didn't exist before.

I've had an iPad since the first one and will very likely buy the larger one being released tomorrow  but the new Apple TV with an app store is the thing I'm most looking forward to tomorrow.

• Reply 72 of 123
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    I'm fairly certain that no matter how many ATVs are sold, no matter how many people play games on those ATVs, no matter for how many hours nor how much money they spend on those games, that certain people will always declare those people to be not "true gamers" (serious, hard-core), meaning superior. They will always denigrate people who play games on iOS and iOS devices, and the ATV will not escape this no matter what transpires in ATV gaming, and the ATV will by them be declared to be a failure regarding games for a whole list of reasons, none of which will make any sense, except they will all have declared themselves to be superior game players, true gamers, you know, the ones who are the only *real* gamers that exist in life. Anything else will always be a failure. You see it in the labels they attach to people who play games on iOS, you see it in the comments in this thread and many others.

For me a success would be that 1) they open an App Store with games available, 2) people play games on the device and enjoy them such that developers create more and new fun games for the platform that I can buy and enjoy playing.

I like this point. Folks are using the "no TRUE Scottsman" argument here.

We are about to find out how many true Scottsmen there really are. :)
  • Reply 73 of 123
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    danvm wrote: »

Casual gamers are happy
    I was referring to OS updates in the console, but now I got your point.  Like I mentioned before, looks MS move to that direction with Windows 10 and DirectX 12, with the benefit of playing in mobiles, consoles, PC's, notebooks and tablets with Windows 10.  And that without the need to replace my devices every 2-3 years. 

Consoles have a many high quality indie games, with prices similar to iOS games.  Console costs is higher, but when you consider that you can play low cost games, AAA games and use it as media devices (now even the XOne works as a DVR), isn't that too expensive.  But like you mentioned, there is a group of people how don't care for consoles, and the ATV may work for them, or even may not work and they'll keep playing in their mobile devices.  I don't think every casual iOS gamer will benefit and playing games in a large TV, when they can play any time at any place without an ATV. 
    Those specs will make sense as soon as I see ATV games looking better, playing better and with better physics than consoles.  Until then, they are only specs. 

With the number of iOS developers out there, many motivated to get in at the beginning of the gold rush, is there really any logical reason to believe that you won't see great ATV games coming out if those specs are real? And by the way, I don't agree that all of the things you mentioned in the final paragraph have to be BETTER than on a console in order to win a certain fraction of converts. The only question in my mind is how large that fraction will be. It will be greater than zero and not insignificant.
  • Reply 74 of 123
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    thompr wrote: »

I'm no hardcore gamer by any definition but I can see a distinction. Hardcore gamers prepay for games and wait for them for months or even years. When they get them, they play though entire games for full days without a break. They are also willing to spend hundreds or thousands more for a unique experience. I don't detect anything casual about those gamers. Now that doesn't mean many of them won't also be buying new ATVs just like any of them own Gameboys.
  • Reply 75 of 123
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

With the number of iOS developers out there, many motivated to get in at the beginning of the gold rush, is there really any logical reason to believe that you won't see great ATV games coming out if those specs are real? And by the way, I don't agree that all of the things you mentioned in the final paragraph have to be BETTER than on a console in order to win a certain fraction of converts. The only question in my mind is how large that fraction will be. It will be greater than zero and not insignificant.

Of course there will be great games, but they will as good to make gamers move from their mobile devices and consoles?  Will casual gamers play in front of a TV or their interest will decline as happened with the Wii, which main target was casual gamers?

And regarding my last paragraph, I was answering a post about the A8X specs.  You can throw the numbers and specs you want, but until you see games with the great graphics, physics and gameplay, then hardware is nothing.  Infinity Blade III is one of the best looking iOS games and still miles behind to console games.  Console gamers expect a great gaming experience, something I haven't seen in a iOS today.  Maybe it changes tomorrow, maybe not. 

• Reply 76 of 123
    wigby wrote: »
    thompr wrote: »

I'm no hardcore gamer by any definition but I can see a distinction. Hardcore gamers prepay for games and wait for them for months or even years. When they get them, they play though entire games for full days without a break. They are also willing to spend hundreds or thousands more for a unique experience. I don't detect anything casual about those gamers. Now that doesn't mean many of them won't also be buying new ATVs just like any of them own Gameboys.

Not only that but they'll play that game online for years.
  • Reply 77 of 123
    alandail wrote: »
    To play with their family.  The big shared screen makes the shared experience better.

I somehow don't expect this to be a large population. Real board games are far better for a family than sitting around a TV. Do people still even sit around the TV except perhaps for sports, elections, etc ...?
  • Reply 78 of 123
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    There's a thought that just occurred to me. A great many games on iOS are built to be played in portrait mode. All TVs are viewed in landscape mode, so how is that going to work with portrait games?

Interesting point.
  • Reply 79 of 123
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Just as I view my mother's iPhone videos on the Apple TV... Laying on the sofa on the side :smokey:

• Reply 80 of 123
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Let's look at why mobile gaming was affected. Mobile gaming devices could not do anything else but that, whilst the iPhone/iPod/iPad could play games and a host of other tasks. Current gaming consoles can already do just about everything the ATV can do plus do a much better job at gaming. You can't compare a mobile device to a static one.

Wrong.

Consoles cant control your lights and AC.
    Consoles cant be used as a dvr and get a tv package.
    Consoles cant sync with your smartphone tablet.
    Consoles wont have the amount of apps the AppleTV will have.

1. Neither can the ATV as of now, and tomorrow.
    2. Ever hear of Playstation Vue?
    3. Who cares?
    4. Quality beats quantity.

Anymore wrong answers?