New Apple TV with App Store game downloads predicted to drive 24M sales in 2016

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Do you really think people are going to want to play Temple Run, or Angry Birds on a big screen TV. The cost of making games suitable to play on TV are going to be much more than a mobile game. Those devs are going to want to make that money back, and that's not going to be at $5-$10 a pop with Apple taking 30% especially with all the competition that exists.

You may be right.  

Maybe $15-$20 for the AAA titles on AppleTV.  And with a dedicated controller and TV screen you will see much better games than Temple Run and Angry Birds.

The 30% Apple charges is very reasonable compared to what publishers pay Sony/Microsoft, the retail channel, and shipping/packaging costs to sell physical discs.

Every game can now be downloaded onto the device. There's really no need to buy a disc unless you plan to either take it to a friend's house, lend it out, or sell it (there's a pretty big market there which you're ignoring). The last I heard is that Sony/MS get $10 per game when it's at its highest price, and that cut drops as the price does, so it is less than the 30% Apple takes.
  • Reply 102 of 123
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Nintendo is doing just fine as a console maker.  Their iOS games does not compete directly with the 3DS game library. 

Nintendo's hardware sales have declined sharply yoy.

http://time.com/3850264/nintendo-sales-wii-u-3ds-universal-studios/

They still have great gameplay to license, but that's not "doing fine".

• Reply 103 of 123
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Instead Apple is going after the broad casual gamer market with a mobile processor and a general purpose multimedia hub, at a price point that will likely shift a lot of product, and coincidentally, has a long list of gaming titles available to play on day one. The wonderful thing for Apple is that they will be making money on these devices, and generating revenue through their store, and there will be many new opportunities for developers with this release.

A long list of gaming titles reflect quantity and not quality.  And, like it's happening right now, there will be a long list of developers but not necessary they succeed..

http://mashable.com/2014/07/10/zombie-apps-ios/

Quote:

I'll bet that a lot of parents tire of paying exorbitant prices for console game titles, and it may be that they will shift their purchases to a "good enough" device such as the AppleTV or even some Android device to take advantage of the titles that they likely have already purchased for their child's mobile device.

This is how mobile is killing the portable consoles, and it will be how the AppleTV will undermine the console market. It will create a new market where parents may never even purchase a console at all for their children, and with the rapid upgrades that mobile processors are seeing, it is likely that the AppleTV will be evolving faster than consoles can, and more profitably.

I'm not suggesting that AppleTV will kill the console market, but you would be delusional if you think it won't impact consoles.

Kids don't ask for a console, they ask for games, CoD, Halo, Uncharted, as examples.  They may ask for an iOS game, and they already have it in their mobile device.  I don't see those children's you mentioned asking for an ATV, when they already play the games they want in their mobile devices.  

• Reply 104 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

People said the same thing about portable gaming (gameboy/Vita)

The portable gaming sector has TANKED hard.  Without the casual gamer Xbox/PS cannot retain their current revenue streams.

Disagree, portable gaming sector has not tanked hard, it has dropped only in America.  XB1 and PS4 has sold very very well especially due to top notch games lately like Witcher 3, GTAV, Dark Souls 2, MGS5, Destiny, etc.   Obviously you don't play them and the reason Gamestop store has posted growing profits because consoles are doing very well with PS4 in the lead with 22mil+ and XB1 with 13mil+

It's Apple that has to do something about it because iPad sales are dropping.  Apple as many analysts have said is now a one product company.

It's all about the iPhone, stupid.

• Reply 105 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

A long list of gaming titles reflect quantity and not quality.  And, like it's happening right now, there will be a long list of developers but not necessary they succeed..

http://mashable.com/2014/07/10/zombie-apps-ios/

Kids don't ask for a console, they ask for games, CoD, Halo, Uncharted, as examples.  They may ask for an iOS game, and they already have it in their mobile device.  I don't see those children's you mentioned asking for an ATV, when they already play the games they want in their mobile devices.  

Parents have the last word on purchases that they make for the child/teen. They may very well purchase an ATV instead of a console when their lovely children come begging for a PS4 or Xbox game and a console. Frankly, they may purchase the ATV for there own selfish indie film watching when they cut the cord, and let the kids use it when they aren't.

• Reply 106 of 123
    crowley wrote: »
    Hardcore gaming has a captive audience and well established market. 

The portable gaming sector has TANKED hard.  Without the casual gamer Xbox/PS cannot retain their current revenue streams.

You're ignoring the operative word 'portable'. Portability of one device naturally superseded that of 2 devices, and that's the reason the they've been beaten by iOS devices.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Games were not a major selling point for iPhones, social networking was a far bigger driver in their uptake.
  • Reply 108 of 123
    Originally Posted by ofisboy View Post

Dear apple,

Not only games but a full safari as well. Please.

It's not that difficult.

It’s so easy, they know it’s idiotic and won’t do it. I love that sales numbers of Apple TVs are already being drawn up based on unknown features, though. That’s great.

• Reply 109 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're ignoring the operative word 'portable'. Portability of one device naturally superseded that of 2 devices, and that's the reason the they've been beaten by iOS devices.

Nice circular argument.

The bottom line is that they are losing sales, and almost certainly, will never see those sales numbers for portable console sales ever again.

• Reply 110 of 123
    Quote:

Parents have the last word on purchases that they make for the child/teen. They may very well purchase an ATV instead of a console when their lovely children come begging for a PS4 or Xbox game and a console. Frankly, they may purchase the ATV for there own selfish indie film watching when they cut the cord, and let the kids use it when they aren't.

You just touched on an example where my kids are gaming on my TV and I can't watch any of my shows on TV.  I'm forced to watch my sports and TV shows on my PC and iPad while they play Minecraft with others on Xbox Live.

I recommend that you go to Microsoft Store and take a look, there are a lot more kids there gaming on Xbox than at an Apple store.  

• Reply 111 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Games were not a major selling point for iPhones, social networking was a far bigger driver in their uptake.

Nonetheless, games on mobile is strangling Nintendo's and Sony's portable device sales.

• Reply 112 of 123

You just touched on an example where my kids are gaming on my TV and I can't watch any of my shows on TV.  I'm forced to watch my sports and TV shows on my PC and iPad while they play Minecraft with others on Xbox Live.

That’s partly why the WiiU has a screen on the controller. Video can be streamed to it so that the TV can remain free.

I imagine that a gaming Apple TV would be able to process games on itself and stream them to the screen of an iPhone or iPad (though your controller is going to be as or MORE powerful than the Apple TV...

• Reply 113 of 123
    Quote:

I recommend that you go to Microsoft Store and take a look, there are a lot more kids there gaming on Xbox than at an Apple store.  

Today that may very well change, and if you as a parent understood my point, you will now have an option of an AppleTV for casual gaming rather than an Xbox or PS4. Make a case that some AppleTV sales won't have an effect on PS4 or Xbox sale during Christmas Season, because it will happen.

There are some 50 Microsoft Stores in the U.S. and some 35 Specialty Stores (kiosks), none in my locale, but there is an Apple Store and Three BestBuys for the ATV near me. 

• Reply 114 of 123
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tmay wrote: »
    Nonetheless, games on mobile is strangling Nintendo's and Sony's portable device sales.
    For sure, and the same might happen with games on the TV, if Apple can get the units into people's homes. But I don't think it will be gaming that will drive those sales.
  • Reply 115 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

For sure, and the same might happen with games on the TV, if Apple can get the units into people's homes. But I don't think it will be gaming that will drive those sales.

I'm not suggesting that it will be a primary sales driver, only that some AppleTV sales will eliminate the sale of a console, and that looks like a negative for the console makers. The console makers may yet face a viable Android device that will have the same effect on console sales, and between all of these devices, the console niche is going to get smaller.

• Reply 116 of 123
    Quote:

Parents may decide that the children will play the games in the mobile devices they already have, so there is no need to an ATV.

• Reply 117 of 123
    Quote:

Today that may very well change, and if you as a parent understood my point, you will now have an option of an AppleTV for casual gaming rather than an Xbox or PS4. Make a case that some AppleTV sales won't have an effect on PS4 or Xbox sale during Christmas Season, because it will happen.

There are some 50 Microsoft Stores in the U.S. and some 35 Specialty Stores (kiosks), none in my locale, but there is an Apple Store and Three BestBuys for the ATV near me. 

I don't agree that it's a zero sums game that if ATV wins than consoles are out.  There will be homes where all of these devices exist for their reasons.  In fact Windows 10 will drive more XB1 sales.  When I can't play XB1 on my TV, I can stream XB1 games to my Windows 10 PC. Something that Apple won't do because they've never taken gaming seriously.  The ATV is a "hobby" device.  

They are too locked up on getting TV and movie deals which they maybe right.  A la Carte TV/Movie deals are a lot more attractive as a revenue stream than gaming which can be a revenue killer in the beginning and Apple investors don't have an appetite for losing money.

• Reply 118 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Parents may decide that the children will play the games in the mobile devices they already have, so there is no need to an ATV.

Parents might well decide that a console isn't necessary either as their children already have mobile devices. See how this works?

• Reply 119 of 123
    Quote:

Parents might well decide that a console isn't necessary either as their children already have mobile devices. See how this works?

So the conclusion is that kids who play iOS games will stay with their mobile devices and won't move to the ATV, while they miss the console games they want because of their parents, right?

• Reply 120 of 123
    tmay wrote: »
    danvm wrote: »

Why of course, because my son is just dying to play Cut the Rope on my 50" TV.