Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 301 of 330
    Changed my sig  ;)
  • Reply 302 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    Do you seriously think Nintendo made those AAA games in a matter of months?  LOL.  Get real.  Nintendo worked on those games FOR YEARS before they were released.  The current Zelda game has been in development for over FOUR YEARS.  The point is Apple did not give developers the dev kit until recently, maybe a few months.  You can't expect someone to build a AAA game in a few months.

And those games were built in house. It's no problem having a top notch game ready to go at the launch of a console when the company that makes the hardware also makes games for it.
  • Reply 303 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

1. Self driving cars

2. Ala Carte TV

3. An all-in-one living room entertainment box

4. A service to watch any movie at any time.  Including theater releases.  All in 4k and uncompressed audio.

5. Mobile payments EVERYWHERE

6. A wearable devices that replaces the smartphone

7. A foldable phone that has a 6 inch screen but folds to the size of the current iPhone6

1. Self driving cars - YES

2. - 7. meh. All great but boring. Like a bigger TV at half the price.

• Reply 304 of 330
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Alot of awesome Apps will come once Apple closes the deal with the TV providers.

For example imagine a Twitter App that ties to a live Sports event.  Watch the game and tweet with your friends.  Sure you can do it with your phone now, but what a pain it is to keep looking up and down at your phone and the TV.  Also you could do groups on such events.  Maybe you have 10-15 people that are big Dallas Cowboy fans.  Go make a Dallas Cowboy twitter watching group and only their tweets show up on the TV screen with the game.  You could even add little video's and even chat.
    How exactly do you propose tweeting on AppleTV with no keyboard?

Siri?

No way would that be a nice experience.

I love how everyone else is in cloud cuckoo land according to you, but then you go off on these wild flights of imagination about twittering and virtual DJs and every iOS game on the TV from day one.
  • Reply 305 of 330
    Also, have you even driven a Tesla? Once of the nicest drive handling experiences you'll get. It's a fantastic ride.
  • Reply 306 of 330
    See thats your problem.  You think things need to be firecrackers to be exciting.

For example Mobile Payments sounds boring. But it isn't.

If you paid everything by mobile payments you could run an App that classifies all your purchases.  You could know each month exactly how much you paid for Food, Entertainment, Clothes, Rent, Gas, ect.  That is a powerful tool.
    You can do that anyway. You don't need ApplePay to analyse a bank statement.
  • Reply 307 of 330
    tweet with your phone or Siri.  Or just open the sound channel to allow voice.
    If you're doing it with your phone then how is that any better than what there is now.

Tweeting with Siri during a game. What rot. That'd be awful. Everyone else has no imagination, but this is the best you can come up with?
  • Reply 308 of 330
    Quote:

See thats your problem.  You think things need to be firecrackers to be exciting.

For example Mobile Payments sounds boring. But it isn't.

If you paid everything by mobile payments you could run an App that classifies all your purchases.  You could know each month exactly how much you paid for Food, Entertainment, Clothes, Rent, Gas, ect.  That is a powerful tool.

Aeh. Yes. I find firecrackers exciting and I find boring things boring. That's the definition of exciting.

• Reply 309 of 330
    Lack of smoothness is exciting to you?

I guess I can't argue with that.
  • Reply 310 of 330
    Wrong.  I'm talking about credit card transactions from MULTIPLE CREDIT CARDS.  And multiple BANK STATMENTS.  And many times the entries don't have detail.

Whole foods = $125

That's all it says on my AMEX bill.  But if everything was digital it would tell me how much was food, toiletries, vitamins, ect.  Then it would automatically keep a tally.

Of course you can do it MANUALLY.  But what I'm talking about is AUTOMATED.
    There are already apps and services that can combine statements for analytics. I use one called OnTrees. I think Mint does it in the U.S.

And since ApplePay has no knowledge of the line items of a transaction then it wouldn't be able to do what you're saying it would.
  • Reply 311 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If you're doing it with your phone then how is that any better than what there is now.

Tweeting with Siri during a game. What rot. That'd be awful. Everyone else has no imagination, but this is the best you can come up with?

Actually, I am with this sog girl/boy/man/woman now. Dictating a tweet on the remote or the phone, and seeing the live tweets of a group of friends (or WhatsApp Group) live in a small window on the TV would be pretty nice. Great for World Cup, Live Aid-type concerts, Eurovision Song Contest (US people don't know what that is, poor them). It's an inevitable thing to come. But more likely to be open, ie available on Amazon Fire TV, Samsung, Chromecast etc. This will not require an Apple TV.

When will we see the Bluetooth camera for Apple TV for living room FT?

• Reply 312 of 330
    You are obviously not a car guy.

The roar of the engine.
    The sound of the exhaust note.
    50% of driving is the sound.

Shifting gears manually.
    Fell the jerk of sudden acceleration instead of a smooth glide like an electric motor

I'm sorry but a 911 destroys the Tesla in excitement and driving fun.
    I disagree. Other opinions are available.

Why are you slagging off Tesla over subjective features in an unrelated thread?
  • Reply 313 of 330
    Quote:

For the price tag of $70-$110 there are far better cars that are much funner to drive.

The Tesla driving experience is anti-septic.  Acceleration is way too smooth.  Yes it is fast but in a smooth way.  No shifting gears manually.  No beautiful exhaust note.  No racing background.  IMO for that price range a 911 is a much better and more exciting ride.

Sog, sorry to say, but the Porsche is the most boring car ever anywhere. Only 50+ year old balding men with boring jobs buy them (the GT may be the exception). If you want to list non-boring cars, then Lambo, Ferrari, the Alpha Romeo GT, Veyron, Jag F-Type. But you won't score any cool points with a Porsche....

• Reply 314 of 330
    sflagel wrote: »
    Actually, I am with this sog girl/boy/man/woman now. Dictating a tweet on the remote or the phone, and seeing the live tweets of a group of friends (or WhatsApp Group) live in a small window on the TV would be pretty nice. Great for World Cup, Live Aid-type concerts, Eurovision Song Contest (US people don't know what that is, poor them). It's an inevitable thing to come. But more likely to be open, ie available on Amazon Fire TV, Samsung, Chromecast etc. This will not require an Apple TV.

When will we see the Bluetooth camera for Apple TV for living room FT?
    I think the dictating sounds rubbish, but the idea of social media feeds about certain content is fairly decent. Would be a cool integration for Apple to add in that allows a Twitter or Facebook or whatever app to access pertinent hashtags or metadata from the foremost app (with the users permission) and slide in a feed.

The idea of every app coding its own social element sounds pretty crappy.
  • Reply 315 of 330
    Quote:

Fire crackers are exciting for a few seconds.....then they are just smoke and ash.

Real excitement comes from things that make your life easier and more productive and more enjoyable.

Nope. Those are sensible things.

• Reply 316 of 330
    I was responding to someone who said Apple does not make exciting products.

I asked him who does?  And he said Tesla and Uber.  LOL.

I mean Tesla is a great product for someone who wants something different and that can transport 4 people.  But for the price it is NOT exciting.  There are far more exciting products for a fraction of the price.
    Fine, you have an opinion. Now can you please stop whining about other people having opinions too?

Not to mention the hypocrisy in your opinion. To make a direct patrallel to your own apologism, the 911 is a firecracker, all about the bang, while the Tesla is an investment in the future. It's (literally) about the ecosystem.
  • Reply 317 of 330
    Clearly you've given this a lot of thought.
  • Reply 318 of 330
    Quote:

I want things that make me happy.....for the long term.

But you go ahead and enjoy your fire crackers for 10 seconds.

As long as they keep coming, each one can last only 10 seconds.

But back to the topic of the thread. I only took issue with the fact that Cook announced the Apple TV as if it was a firecracker, but in the end wasn't. I have no issue with the Apple TV, I think its great. 

• Reply 319 of 330
    sflagel wrote: »

For the price tag of $70-$110 there are far better cars that are much funner to drive.

The Tesla driving experience is anti-septic.  Acceleration is way too smooth.  Yes it is fast but in a smooth way.  No shifting gears manually.  No beautiful exhaust note.  No racing background.  IMO for that price range a 911 is a much better and more exciting ride.
    Sog, sorry to say, but the Porsche is the most boring car ever anywhere. Only 50+ year old balding men with boring jobs buy them (the GT may be the exception). If you want to list non-boring cars, then Lambo, Ferrari, the Alpha Romeo GT, Veyron, Jag F-Type. But you won't score any cool points with a Porsche....

Recently I got a chance to drive several super cars, and out of the lot that included Ferrari, Lambo, Jag F-type, Aston Martin, and Porsche, the Porsche was the most fun to drive. Looks wise it might be boring but definitely not behind the wheel.
  • Reply 320 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Recently I got a chance to drive several super cars, and out of the lot that included Ferrari, Lambo, Jag F-type, Aston Martin, and Porsche, the Porsche was the most fun to drive. Looks wise it might be boring but definitely not behind the wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Interesting. Which Porsche did you drive. Given the comparisons and your term "supercar", it probably wasn't the Carrera? Was it the GT3 or GT3 RS; yes, that's probably a different story altogether

Sog: and also not in the price category of a Tesla; nor does it have the usability factor of the Carrera (which is a real GT, similar to the Tesla)